Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

It's interesting that Tennessee popped up as a player for Noah Cain late in the cycle despite not ever being an option for him before. Very interesting.

2 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Image result for money bag gif

Christmas presents aren't going to buy themselves.

He's just taking a business trip.

TFloss data dump:

Spoiler

24/7 reporting QB Roschon Johnson, LB De'Gabriel Floyd and ATH Jordan Whittington will officially visit UT this weekend.

Whittington and Cuero are still in the playoffs, so his visit could depend on that.

///

Quotes from JUCO OL Jay Williams of El Cajon, CA after his official visit to UT over the weekend (24/7):

“It was great,” Williams said. “I really enjoyed it. My favorite parts were spending time with the players and getting to know the coaching staff, especially Coach (Herb) Hand and Jake Langi. Coach Hand is an overall great guy and great coach.”

“He (Coach Hand) told me exactly who he was as a man and as a coach, and when I asked his players about him, they said word per word the exact same thing,” Williams said. “His players said that he treats them like they are his own kids and at the same time gets after them, pushes them and holds them to a high standard just as he would with his own kids as well."

“Any coach can tell you they care about their players but just from spending a weekend with him, I can tell that he’s exactly who he says he is. He’s someone I know that can help me become a better football player, better man and give me the tools to be a great person in society.”

“What stood out to me and was most important is the relationship the coaches have with the players and vice versa,” Williams said. “The coaches understand that football isn’t forever, and they’re doing more than just preparing you for the NFL. They are trying to prepare you for life after football as well."

“The players are great people who are very driven as well. I spent most of my time with them, and I felt like I knew them for months. I guess that’s what southern hospitality is like. Even the seniors and older guys I met were great as well. The fan base is amazing, and they show big support as well as the student body.”

///

• Like 1

EJ after dark: Texas closing in on a commitment?

— Texas head coach Tom Herman and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando made their way to California to see JUCO inside linebacker Caleb Johnson. I’m told the Longhorns made a huge impression. Texas was thought to be the favorite heading into the visit, and Herman and Orlando may have sealed the deal with just days to go before his decision date. Texas will have to fend off Oregon and Colorado this week, but we feel great about the Longhorns landing Johnson before the early period.

— The drama with four-star athlete commit Peyton Powell is ongoing. As we noted this weekend, Powell did make a visit to Baylor. He is actually a Baylor legacy and has a teammate committed there, which is why Waco is such an intriguing destination. Powell may visit Texas Tech this weekend and as we’ve been reporting, they’ve been making him a strong pitch at quarterback. Powell is from West Texas and just had another teammate commit to the Red Raiders.

— LSU visited with Texas defensive line commit Myron Warren, but the Tigers have yet to offer. That’s great news for Texas, which is slated to get him in for an official visit this weekend. The Longhorns are going to push for him to sign early, which would prevent LSU from making a late run. Warren is an important piece to the puzzle, and the Longhorns want to make sure he ends up in Austin.

— The aforementioned Orlando will make an in-home visit with three-star linebacker commit Marcus Tillman Jr. this week. Tillman enjoyed his official visit to Texas over the weekend and bonded with the staff. While UCF has been trying to get involved, Tillman is completely locked in with the Longhorns. He is set to sign and enroll early.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

If Mehringer leaves does that put any of our WR commits at risk? McCoy indicated Mehringer was his favorite coach.

I’m seeing concerns about Mehringer’s recruiting pop up in relation to him potentially taking the James Madison job. We are flat out better off when that dipshit finds an exit. I don’t give a single fuck if it impacts a recruitment or two, and you shouldn’t either. Celebrate if that imbecile finds something else to do. 

And forget about Bru McCoy. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So Caleb Johnson was the shhh.

And that's the first time I've ever seen Waco referred to as an "intriguing destination".  I guess if you like anti-authoritarian gun battles.

Or you like rape, or murder, or a new Papasito’s or just standing there while loud music is playing

I’m seeing concerns about Mehringer’s recruiting pop up in relation to him potentially taking the James Madison job. We are flat out better off when that dipshit finds an exit. I don’t give a single fuck if it impacts a recruitment or two, and you shouldn’t either. Celebrate if that imbecile finds something else to do. 

So anyway, back to the original question, are there some WR commits at risk due to Mehringer potentially leaving?

Just now, Dbeasy said:

So anyway, back to the original question, are there some WR commits at risk due to Mehringer potentially leaving?

I doubt it. Beck can handle Jake Smith, Marcus Washington has Mookie Cooper and Carrington, and Whittington is a natural Texas lean who's been locked in for nearly a year.

Hope Powell is mature enough to make right decision for him.  If he does not become confident that Texas is right fit for him, best to not sign with Horns.  

Right now, roster spots are too important for Herman to sign players who aren't sure they want to play at Texas.....

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

to whom do we attribute the greatly improved performance/attitude of the WR group this year?

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

to whom do we attribute the greatly improved performance/attitude of the WR group this year?

Well, if folks remember, LJH was set to transfer out after last season, and the rumor was he fucking hated Mehringer. Meekins was moved to inside receivers, and lo and behold LJH now loves Texas and might stick around.

I certainly can't argue with Collin Johnson's improvement in toughness this season, but as South Austin said, Ehinger's improvement and not rotating our WR out for mediocre replacements every other snap like last season probably all helped. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

a blue blood coming out of the darkness, a few bad calls away from the conference title, heading to the sugar bowl and returning lots of talent on offense deserves better recruiting than this. i'm sorry this '19 year has been a letdown. 

change your user name to "lil'  bitch"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5426034

I guess your definition of an “entire season” is about 3 1/2 quarters shorter than mine is. 

Yeah, yeah, should stuck with regular season. We struggled or didn't even make the postseason over the past several years in large part because we lost our QB and/or some other irreplaceable player in first half of the season. We have talked about aggy being an injury or two away from a sub .500 record for the last several seasons and they always seem to make it to a bowl game largely unscathed. OU has had RB injuries, but their stability has kept them well-stocked, while their QBs run around and make plays and never seemed to even get dinged, never sitting out for any extended time or even seemingly playing gimpy.

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, if folks remember, LJH was set to transfer out after last season, and the rumor was he fucking hated Mehringer. Meekins was moved to inside receivers, and lo and behold LJH now loves Texas and might stick around.

I certainly can't argue with Collin Johnson's improvement in toughness this season, but as South Austin said, Ehinger's improvement and not rotating our WR out for mediocre replacements every other snap like last season probably all helped. 

I thought that was the first rumored reason Reggie transferred. 

44 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This.

Also, players getting a year older and working within the same system tend to show improvement, ceteris peribus. Attribute value to Mehringer based on this season's performance for a single player if you must, but I'd prefer to judge Meh on his history of performance and his antics with both Garrett Wilson and Higgins. The guy's a loser and he should go steal someone else's money before Herman wrongheadedly elevates him to OC or something.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah yes. The standard 3 pages of equivocations about a player we've been down on that we'll now justify being stuck with for years.

"Listen, of course I'd prefer a nice pour of Macallan 25, or even a few fingers of Garrison Brothers. But you guys who are insisting that rubbing alcohol isn't a perfectly fine drink at the end of the day are just being fucking assholes. And you know what, you're not a coach, trust the staff."

Or it’s like you go to a nice Christmas party with the wife. Everybody’s having a great time, knocking back a few drinks. You think you’re gonna have a great time when you get home. Then she gets sick on the way home and passes out. Nothing left to do but jerk it. 

Glass commitment=

8-ADAAED9-E276-43-C9-866-B-62143095-BDF1

35 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He 1 kick return for 10 yards in 3 games.  That's an average of 3.33(bar) yards per game.

evidently Hemphill-Mapps only played in 3 games (0 catches) and only returned a kick in their last game of the year

he isn't listed as having a number on their roster

evidently he had committed to Syracuse but it fell apart (long thread here) - either he was asked to hold off on committing or he asked them to hold off on it?

whole thing looks weird

Edited by NoName

The Mehringer defenders like to point out the receivers Texas has landed the past two years (some of whom he was second or third out of the coaches who deserve credit), but position coaches should be compared to how a generic replacement would do in Herman's program. The most notable thing Mehringer has done in recruiting is finish second place for Bru. The guys he didn't have much help landing were legacies or kids who loved Texas originally, and a replacement level coach would have landed them. 

Half the receiving room hated him last year. Receivers tend to be divas and we had some legitimate knuckleheads and troublemakers in that room, but it took adding a grownup to help out to keep several guys from transferring. I won't blame him for RHM, that dude had issues, but he wasn't ready for that job. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

The Mehringer defenders like to point out the receivers Texas has landed the past two years (some of whom he was second or third out of the coaches who deserve credit), but position coaches should be compared to how a generic replacement would do in Herman's program. The most notable thing Mehringer has done in recruiting is finish second place for Bru. The guys he didn't have much help landing were legacies or kids who loved Texas originally, and a replacement level coach would have landed them. 

Half the receiving room hated him last year. Receivers tend to be divas and we had some legitimate knuckleheads and troublemakers in that room, but it took adding a grownup to help out to keep several guys from transferring. I won't blame him for RHM, that dude had issues, but he wasn't ready for that job. 

Okay, so his VORP is bad, but how is his WAR?

• Like 3