Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/20/ohio-state-texas-among-potential-landing-spots-for-all-acc-transfer/

Not long after leaving Georgia Tech, Parker Braun is quickly whittling down his transfer to-do list.

The standout offensive lineman has already taken an unofficial visit to Florida, while he has an official visit scheduled for March 1 to Texas.  He also confirmed to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he’s “still trying to work out something with Ohio State” as far as a visit to the Columbus campus.

Additionally, Braun’s father has confirmed to 247Sports.com that his son has been in communication with Auburn line coach B.J. Grimes and could visit The Plains at some point in the not-too-distant future.  Mike Braun did allow that the Tigers are “kind of a longshot” while the Gators, Longhorns and Buckeyes are the current front-runners.

A Freshman All-American in 2016, Braun has earned first-team All-ACC honors each of the past two seasons.  Braun had spent the vast majority of his time at Tech as the Yellow Jackets’ starting left guard.

The 6-3, 280-pound Braun is scheduled to receive his degree from Tech this coming May.  As a graduate transfer, Braun will be eligible to use his final season of eligibility at whichever Power Five school he ultimately chooses.

Former UH/Baylor OL Coach going to FL State to help his buddy K.Briles.  Will be going after grad transfers aggressively..... "The Seminoles are also still looking into a few other grad transfers like Virginia's R.J. Proctor and Georgia Tech's Parker Braun."

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Former UH/Baylor OL Coach going to FL State to help his buddy K.Briles.  Will be going after grad transfers aggressively..... "The Seminoles are also still looking into a few other grad transfers like Virginia's R.J. Proctor and Georgia Tech's Parker Braun."

There are quite a few white women in Tallahassee.

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not a popular take, but I grew up with Clements kids in Stephenville. Never could have imagined he’d make it all the way to FSU.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Isn't that every job?    Sources lol

How long have you followed Texas Athletics? Do you remember a guy named Mack Brown? Jeff Madden? Chris Plonsky? Steve Patterson? Nick Voinis? Bev Kearney? Rick Barnes? Connie Clark? Shaka Smart? I can go on. 

• Like 1

IT on Tyler / grad transfers:

Georgia Tech offensive guard Parker Braun is The One. He’ll be on campus next weekend for his official visit. 

Rutgers’ Jonah Jackson will visit Austin in March and they would likely take him if they can get him but Jackson is high on OU and Ohio State. 

Virginia's RJ Proctor is awaiting an offer. 

Texas needs has to land one of Braun or Jackson. Landing both would be two of the seven deadly sins with neither being sloth.

JUCO Willie Tyler is more of a project rather than immediate help. View him for the 2019 take he'd be. We'd call an offer unlikely.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-weekend-february-22nd-24th/

Quick Hitters | JUCO Willie Tyler & Grad Transfer RJ Proctor
– CJ Vogel

Joining some of the most coveted high school prospects in the state were two targets at a position of need with college experience already under their belt

Willie Tyler III

The 6-foot, 7-inch JUCO left tackle from Iowa Western Community College was on campus this weekend.

Tyler said the “visit went great” and cited the atmosphere around campus and the city as something that really stood out to him.

Like many recruits, Tyler spent his afternoon receiving tours of the facilities, as well as meetings with the coaches and academic advisors. He had quite a busy day on campus and did almost everything there is to do that is football related.

Coach Herb Hand is playing an instrumental role in Tyler’s recruitment: “We have a good relationship, and it gets better every time we converse and I feel like this visit really boosted our relationship a lot with how much we talked and bonded.”

I get the sense that if the staff envisions Tyler has a sure-fire take, there is no doubt he will be a Longhorn come fall practice.

He will alert a team of his decision by the end of the month and make a decision on March 17.

RJ Proctor

We’ve mentioned RJ Proctor several times in the past as a guy to watch as a grad-transfer addition. The former Virginia Cavalier would be a solid plug-and-play piece for an offensive line that saw departures at both guard spots.

Proctor said he spent most of his eating, golfing and “coolin’ it with the boys” during his official visit.

When on campus, he spent a lot of his time with Herb Hand and Tim Beck. Though he did add several current players , including Denzel Okafor, Christian Jones and Junior Angilau, were with him for majority of his time.

Proctor is still set for a March decision, though he may pull a trigger early “whenever [he] falls in love fully with a school.”

Following the visit, Texas still stands as a top school for Proctor.

***(Super K) Also, to add to CJ’s note about JUCO OT and recent visitor, Willie Tyler, he let me know that the staff plans on giving him an answer as to whether he has an offer or not in the next couple weeks.

I surmise they are waiting to see what happens with some of these graduate transfers before making a decision on Willie.

I am told that the staff did like the way Tyler looked. So, I would assume he past the Yancy exam.

Edited by Machinator

18 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Go ahead and offer RJ before he signs somewhere else. Immediate help at guard.

He's taking his time with other visits lined up (that he'll take regardless of an offer) and isn't upset about the lack of an offer. We have time and we'll know more after Braun's visit next weekend. 

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Just read Braun is from Hallsville Texas. Hopefully he wants to play for his home state for one year. 

They obliged there for one year. His family is from and currently lives in Florida. We’re the OOS option and UF is the home team. Granted he’s a GT, so that won’t matter nearly as much, thankfully.

Bobby Burton: Friday

Some quick notes on the newcomers that I picked up...

- Bru McCoy has been "tremendous". Of all newcomers, he is the one who came in most prepared for the college grind.

- I'm told juco transfer Jacoby Jones has already put on 15 pounds since getting on campus.

- I'm told offensive lineman Tyler Johnson "tested well". No specifics were mentioned, unfortunately.

- Jordan Whittington's quickness has surprised coaches and players alike. "What's the word? He's subtle, that's it. He doesn't make these big moves or anything, it's just zoom and he's gone," I was told. I was also told watching him do the cone drill is "silly" and that was meant in a good way.

- De'Gabriel Floyd and Roschon Johnson are two others who are said to have taken well to college ball both physically and mentally thus far.

- Marcus Tillman is just getting started in the weight room. "You can just tell he hasn't been in the weight room like some (of the others) yet," I was told. Before people take that as a bad thing, remember that that actually means there may be even more upside to Tillman than initially thought if he takes to conditioning as hoped.

Something that is perhaps one of the two or three most impressive aspects of the entire Texas program right now is Yancy McKnight's strength and conditioning program. McKnight is building up some very good prospects and making them even better. Charles Omenihu is a great example. So are Sam Cosmi and even Ta'Quon Graham. McKnight's work even improved the lower-body strength of LJ Humphrey last year, helping LJ shirk more open-field tackles than ever.

But what makes McKnight different? After all, isn't that what every strength and conditioning coach is supposed to do? For me, it's the accountability he demands, and this goes well beyond the yelling and screaming typical of most S&C coaches. It reminds me of what LSU S&C coach Tommy Moffitt has done so successfully for so long. Not only does McKnight get along with players, but he also demands things of his players in a way where they want to get better. He also dilligently tracks their improvement over time so they can see how their bodies have changed over time.

Look, I'm a big fan of what Texas has done in recruiting the last couple of years. But I'm just as big a fan, if not more, of what they are doing in the S&C program right now. It is a difference maker. Texas isn't producing a bunch of sloppy offensive and defensive linemen these days.