Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

10 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, YouTube channel, Twitter, Instagram, Myspace, Facebook, Pandora and Spotify channels, QVC seller platform, and mail order BBQ service.

Im sorry. This feed has been dropped from all the previously mentioned entitys due to violation of the  "terms of service" hate speech clause. Anybody who has read the previous post must report to medical for reprogramming. 

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Can Texas land any DL targets soon?

Wondering if you might know what Rodas Johnson is thinking since his visit to Texas. Any idea if he is a take for Texas right now? Did he give you any timeline for a decision? — broblakemills

EJ: I think Texas is definitely in the picture here as a dark horse candidate and is in line to receive an official visit this fall/winter. Johnson is originally from the Houston-area, and he still has ties to the Lone Star State. Obviously, defensive line remains a need for Texas this cycle, and Johnson would be a huge addition for the Longhorns upfront. Texas just offered, so right now, it’s all about relationship building with him. I haven’t heard anything on a timeline, but it looks like Johnson wants to take his time with the process.

Mike: Johnson obviously had a lot of interest in Texas, and he made it known before visiting during Stars at Night. If the Longhorns can get him back on campus for an official visit, they have the ability to shut the door on that recruitment. Doing so would give them another versatile body on the defensive line for Oscar Giles to mold.

Who will be the next commit on the defensive line? — Mike Long

EJ: It's tough to say right now. Taurean Carter, looked like the best bet but if Texas doesn't push, he is likely to end up at Arkansas. Of course, Texas will continue to work on guys like the aforementioned Rodas Johnson, Jacoby Jones, Faatui Tuitele and DeMarvin Leal. But I don't feel like Texas has the edge with any of them. More names should pop up this fall. 

Mike: I'm not really sure. It seems like the defensive line recruiting is up in the air, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the staff slow down and re-evaluate where they are going at that position. Honestly, it could be a guy like Rodas Johnson who was a relatively new offer, but I'd also expect to see some new offers go out during the fall.

After taking a look at the Recruiting Breakdown y’all put out last week and the offers Tom Herman and Co. have already put out, it appears that offers this fall/winter will be along the offensive line and defensive line and maybe running back (assuming all goes as anticipated). Do y’all foresee any other positions getting fall/winter offers and how many do y’all think go out overall? (I’m thinking maybe 5-10). — HookEm777

EJ: It’s tough to gauge an exact number, but I think you could see Texas maybe offer another linebacker after missing on Maninoa Tufono and another outside wide receiver after missing on Dylan Wright. As you mentioned, the focus will be more on the trenches as Texas needs to find defensive lineman and a quality interior offensive lineman. Depending on how things play out at running back, you could see a guy like Darwin Barlowor Mike Hollins come away with an offer.

Mike: I think you've nailed it. Texas pretty much has their entire secondary sorted out with offers on the table. I could see one or two more linebacker offers depending on the way things break down with some current targets, but on defense, the focus will be on the defensive line. On offense, I think it's a bit more wide open. I'd look at wide receiver, interior line and running back as positions that could all see evaluation offers go out.

Is Tom Herman addressing the DFW recruiting lapse? With Jalen Catalon,Tyler Owens, and Taurean Carter, we should finish average this year. It seems next year in the 2020 class, we shall almost get back in the Metroplex by default (Duncanville, Prince Dorbahat Highland Park). I’m a Houston boy but hate being shut out of one of the top recruiting grounds in the nation. — UTwildcatter34

EJ: If there is one area this staff can improve in, it’s DFW. Stan Drayton was labeled as an ace recruiter when he arrived at Texas, and he has South Dallas. It would be big for him to make more of an effort there as right now Texas doesn’t have the strongest presence. Craig Naivar is one of the best recruiters on staff and with so much defensive back talent in the area next cycle, he could be a true asset with other recruits in DFW. Texas is already in a nice position with guys like Ja’Quinden Jackson, Chris Thompson and Ty Jordan.

Mike: I think the presence there is better, but there is always room for improvement. This staff was built on guys who recruit Houston very well, but I'm not sure there's a bona fide Dallas-area guy. Naivar is doing a heck of a job courting safety prospects, and many in 2020 reside in Dallas. Outside of him, there isn't a ton of buzz from DFW-area coaches about the recruiters.

Any news with Noa Pola-Gates? — Jake Cooper 

EJ: Nothing much has changed here. Pola-Gates did not make it to Stars at Night due to a family issue, but he should be on campus this fall/winter for an official visit. Naivar is continuing to work hard on him, and Texas has gained some ground, but it’s going to be tough to beat out Alabama.

Mike: It kind of depends how things shakedown late. Alabama is the threat here, and outside of that, Texas is in a group of other schools who are in contention for him. They have the tools to be a factor in that recruitment past Alabama, but it will be tough to overturn the Crimson Tide's lead.

Feel like not a lot has been said about this, but do we know how many players plan on committing on NSD 1 vs. NSD 2? — bigo61

EJ: I think you’ll see a lot of guys take advantage of the early period. But you will still have a handful of prospects like Trey Sanders and Jalen Catalon that will wait until NSD 2.

Mike: I would think most of the class currently committed signs early. There will always be those guys who past the deadline, but I think that those players typically decide later.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-weekend-august-10th-12th/

The Latest on Garrett Wilson 
– Super K

I spoke with Ohio State wide receiver commit, Garrett Wilson. Despite all that has happened at Ohio State, Wilson has continued to stand firm on his commitment to the Buckeyes.

But is there any chance, Texas (or anyone else) can make him rethink things?

First, we’ve been asked to comment on Wilson’s relationship with coach Mehringer and according to Wilson, “Coach Mehringer and Beck were for sure my favorites there”.

Garrett said that any concerns he had about Texas or the Texas staff weren’t remotely tied to his feelings about coach Mehringer or coach Beck.

One of Wilson’s concerns, which he’s always been transparent about, was simply seeing (or not seeing) improvement and consistency in the offense. If a window of opportunity were to come open for Texas it’ll be, in part, due to an improvement in the offense, “If they’re throwing the ball around more then for sure I’ll look out for it”.

Garrett was pretty frank, though, about the fact that if “things play out the way I think it will” with Ohio State, he will remain committed to the Buckeyes and won’t even entertain any visits. When we spoke on the phone, he didn’t comment on how he thinks things will play out but outside of Urban Meyer, coach Ryan Day’s (interim head coach) continued presence on the staff will be a big factor.

If a new staff were to be brought in, that’s when you’ll likely see Wilson take a look at other schools.

According to Wilson Oklahoma would be one of those schools, “They would be at the top. They still hit me up a lot. Love that staff”. I think beyond his love for the staff, he loves the offense.

I asked Wilson what visits he might take assuming the Ohio State situation doesn’t play out the way he expects, he mentioned Texas as a school he’d “most likely” visit. He also noted, “Nebraska too, TCU and maybe a USC game or something like that. Not one hundred percent sure yet”.

Simply put, this one is going to be a wait and see.

Step 1) Wait and see if Texas can get the offense moving in the right direction.

Step 2) Wait and see how things play out at Ohio State.

New Interior 2019 OL Target
– Andrew King

The interior offensive line recruiting for Texas in the 2019 class is a bit of a mystery right now. They missed on guys like Branson Bragg (Stanford) and EJ Ndoma-Ogar (Oklahoma), so now we’ll see when the next batch of offers goes out.

One guy to keep an eye on is Whitehaven (TN) OG Melvin McBride. He has picked up some SEC offers this summer from schools like Florida, Arkansas, and Tennessee. He also has a Louisville offer, and I talked to someone and it sounds like Arkansas and Louisville are in the lead right now in this recruitment. Tennessee and Florida have offered but aren’t necessarily pushing as hard as the Razorbacks and Cardinals right now.

McBride told me last night that he’s been in frequent contact with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand this summer. Right now McBride is hopeful to get down to Texas for a visit during the season but a date hasn’t been set just yet. Hand told McBride that he’d like to add a couple other offensive linemen to this class to go along with Tyler Johnson and Javonee Shepherd. And that he is one of the top guys he’s evaluating right now.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-weekend-august-10th-12th/

Reveal hidden contents

The Latest on Garrett Wilson 
– Super K

I spoke with Ohio State wide receiver commit, Garrett Wilson. Despite all that has happened at Ohio State, Wilson has continued to stand firm on his commitment to the Buckeyes.

But is there any chance, Texas (or anyone else) can make him rethink things?

First, we’ve been asked to comment on Wilson’s relationship with coach Mehringer and according to Wilson, “Coach Mehringer and Beck were for sure my favorites there”.

Garrett said that any concerns he had about Texas or the Texas staff weren’t remotely tied to his feelings about coach Mehringer or coach Beck.

One of Wilson’s concerns, which he’s always been transparent about, was simply seeing (or not seeing) improvement and consistency in the offense. If a window of opportunity were to come open for Texas it’ll be, in part, due to an improvement in the offense, “If they’re throwing the ball around more then for sure I’ll look out for it”.

Garrett was pretty frank, though, about the fact that if “things play out the way I think it will” with Ohio State, he will remain committed to the Buckeyes and won’t even entertain any visits. When we spoke on the phone, he didn’t comment on how he thinks things will play out but outside of Urban Meyer, coach Ryan Day’s (interim head coach) continued presence on the staff will be a big factor.

If a new staff were to be brought in, that’s when you’ll likely see Wilson take a look at other schools.

According to Wilson Oklahoma would be one of those schools, “They would be at the top. They still hit me up a lot. Love that staff”. I think beyond his love for the staff, he loves the offense.

I asked Wilson what visits he might take assuming the Ohio State situation doesn’t play out the way he expects, he mentioned Texas as a school he’d “most likely” visit. He also noted, “Nebraska too, TCU and maybe a USC game or something like that. Not one hundred percent sure yet”.

Simply put, this one is going to be a wait and see.

Step 1) Wait and see if Texas can get the offense moving in the right direction.

Step 2) Wait and see how things play out at Ohio State.

New Interior 2019 OL Target
– Andrew King

The interior offensive line recruiting for Texas in the 2019 class is a bit of a mystery right now. They missed on guys like Branson Bragg (Stanford) and EJ Ndoma-Ogar (Oklahoma), so now we’ll see when the next batch of offers goes out.

One guy to keep an eye on is Whitehaven (TN) OG Melvin McBride. He has picked up some SEC offers this summer from schools like Florida, Arkansas, and Tennessee. He also has a Louisville offer, and I talked to someone and it sounds like Arkansas and Louisville are in the lead right now in this recruitment. Tennessee and Florida have offered but aren’t necessarily pushing as hard as the Razorbacks and Cardinals right now.

McBride told me last night that he’s been in frequent contact with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand this summer. Right now McBride is hopeful to get down to Texas for a visit during the season but a date hasn’t been set just yet. Hand told McBride that he’d like to add a couple other offensive linemen to this class to go along with Tyler Johnson and Javonee Shepherd. And that he is one of the top guys he’s evaluating right now.

It seems pretty obvious that Wilson is not a fan of Texas and it sounds like OUsux is second on his list. Plus, his comments always seem to bug me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Who is this Marshall guy?

And no,  nothing gonna happen. 

Director of Player Personnel for Georgia.  The SEC is the wild west and everybody is bidding.  I think it happens with the big schools from other conferences as well (yes, including us), but EVERYONE in the SEC is playing the game.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Director of Player Personnel for Georgia.  The SEC is the wild west and everybody is bidding.  I think it happens with the big schools from other conferences as well (yes, including us), but EVERYONE in the SEC is playing the game.

I have a hard time believe that, if we're in the game, that anybody is outbidding us.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

I like this new "no fucks given" Brett McMurphy.

McMurphy is on a mission to burn down CFB until he gets a big employment gig somewhere where they don't want to rock the boat due to TV ratings of the games. I like it. He is like the John Wick of college football. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

The ribs at the Rendezvous are incredible, gotta give 'em that.

I just...wow.

I was in Memphis a few months ago. I have nothing against dry rubbed ribs. I was excited to go to Rendezvous. That said: Rendezvous makes the most overhyped, stringy, dry-as-fuck ribs I've ever had. I would be entirely unsurprised if Taylor Hamm was a consulting chef. They were bad, and you should feel bad for thinking they were good.

If you're of the opinion that they're serving anything remotely close to decent barbecue, you need to get your ass back to central Texas, stat.

Also, with Wilson's comments, I'm curious what is filtering out to tOSU recruits regarding Urban's future. I'm sure they're being told that everything is fine and that there's nothing to see there, but have any of them expressed doubts publicly?

• Like 1