Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-monday-october-15th/

Obviously Super K's update on Caleb Johnson came before his OV, but the info is still relevant.

Caleb Johnson | In-Person Update
– Super K

Went by Fullerton College, yesterday, to see JUCO LB, Caleb Johnson.

Johnson took a medical redshirt, this season. He has a small tear in his shoulder and while rehab was an option, he said he’d rather have surgery and get it fixed. Caleb says he should be ready to go in January or February.

The medical redshirt year gives Caleb three years to play at whatever school he goes to.

Going into this weekend’s official visit, Texas appeared to be the team to beat. However, Caleb mentioned that he’s begun receiving some heavy interest from a particular West Coast school that he grew up rooting for. He asked me not to report the name of the school until an offer is official.

If an offer comes, it sounds like said school will be a contender. However, having never been to Austin, I suspect Caleb is going to be surprised at how similar Austin is to Cali in certain respects. Also, the football environment in the south always catches the attention of these west coast players.

2019 WR Kennedy Lewis | Trending | Wide Receiver Notes
– Super K

Charlie alluded to this late last week, Kennedy Lewis (Melissa) took an official vis to Texas this weekend.

I spoke with a source on the TCU side and was told that Kennedy hasn’t announced a decomittment yet but it’s looking like things are trending that direction.

The Texas staff saw Kennedy at a camp this past summer and offered.

On whether a flip/commitment to Texas this weekend is possible, Kennedy said, “I’m not sure but I have met everybody when I went to the camp and we had a great time”.

I’m told Lewis grew up a Texas fan and was interested in Texas even before the TCU commitment but there was some uncertainty at that point about Texas and their offense. Winning heals many wounds.

This one is clearly trending Texas.

Should Kennedy commit that would give Texas four wide receiver commits. And, they’ve still got targets that they’re very much in the mix for including Bru McCoy and Marcus Washington.

This move does make me wonder if Texas is losing confidence that they can land Elijah Higgins. And while we are hearing they lead for McCoy, with USC looming, they can’t simply wait on that.

I feel confident in where Texas stands with Marcus Washington.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Powell, Washington, and Kennedy gets to 21.  If we think we're getting Johnson that's 22.  How many are we going to take for OL/DL?  Load up on trench guys for 2020? Grad transfer trench guys?

Multiple CBs for Myron Warren too.  23.

• Like 1

IT

By: Justin Wells

Another week, another win for Texas Football. Also another upward move in the CFB polls - No. 7 (AP), No. 8 (USA Today/Coaches).

With this newfound mojo, the Horns hosted a handful of prospects over the weekend including three official visitors - Kennedy Lewis, Peyton Powell, and Caleb Johnson. Another important target, Mansfield Legacy's Jalen Catalon, took in the sights of DKR. Let's catch up.

KENNEDY LEWIS

The 6-foot-3 wideout from Melissa first camped in Austin last summer. The staff liked what they saw, offered on June 11th, and stayed in touch with Lewis. Fast forward to last week...Texas WR coach Drew Mehringer reached out to Lewis, who was very receptive to another trip to the 40 Acres.

"It was amazing really," Lewis said. "I really enjoyed seeing how the coaches and players bonded. I got to talk with Collin Johnson and Lil'Jordan Humphrey."

With his combination of size, hands, and ability to get vertical the staff sees Lewis at the "X."

"Texas likes to use big receivers on the outside," said Lewis. "The staff told me I'm what they're looking for. I've always been a Texas fan. I loved how the team doesn't look like a team but a family."

his quote told me all I needed to know.

"I was thinking about Texas even before I went on the visit," Lewis explained. "Since I already know coach Herman's history, and now I'm watching UT moving up to potentially the Top 5."

With Jake Smith, Demaryion Houston, and Jordan Whittington locked in as slots and "Z's," the staff desperately needed to bolster the boundary receiver.

While adding Lewis looks likely, the staff is still working on other prospects who would serve the same role.

The Horns look great for Trinity Catholic (St. Louis) WR Marcus Washington. They're trending up with Austin Bowie's Elijah Higgins. They've got an outside shot at Cali-bred Bru McCoy. So why the late push for Lewis, who I believe can be flipped like the this morning's pancakes? Especially when the buzz around the team grows by the Saturday.

That's the question. The decision is above my pay grade and after watching Herman's transition class start developing into bonafide starters, and the RevolUTion18 producing starting freshmen at a obscene rate, I'm hesitant to criticize this recent push. I just hope it doesn't jeopardize some higher-end talent.

PEYTON POWELL

The third time was the charm for the 6-foot-2 athlete from Odessa Permian by-way-of Midland Christian. Getting to see the Texas campus was huge for the 4-star prospect from out west.

"I loved everything about it," said Powell. "Just really everything. The coaching staff, the stability, and the special things that are about to happen in Austin. It's easy to see."

That was the money quote. But Ohio State and TCU still present legitimate threats, though Eric has heard TCU doesn't have a good read on him.

The Buckeyes have him penciled in at CB, while the Horny Toads like his skills as a WR. For Texas, it's either side, which I believe resonates with his mindset. He wants to play with the ball in his hands - he's got explosive traits with a slipperiness that helps him elude defenders. But maximizing his talent might be at defensive back, specifically nickel but possibly corner or safety too. Powell is a talent, but his versatility also provides insurance at numerous positions. The best part is that he's open to all of it. He just wants to play.

After speaking with him last night, I get the sense Texas leads here and will just say the staff did everything they needed to do to put themselves in the pole position.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Powell take a few more trips, probably to Austin and Fort Worth. He wants to stay closer to home. And this is trending to the good guys this morning.

JALEN CATALON

This has turned into the recruitment Texas didn't want. Negative pitches about the Horns from rival coaches has made the 4-star Catalon a toss up. The eagerness in his voice on Saturday isn't what you'd expect from a kid that may or may not have given the Hogs a silent. So let's dig a little deeper.

Arkansas HC Chad Morris has a few aces in the hole. One, his sister is a teacher at Legacy. Catalon is friends with her kids. TCU coach Gary Patterson is selling family, with cousin BJ Catalon a TCU footballer. The parents are buying both of these sells.

So Texas went full court press about 30 minutes after Saturday's win over Baylor. They brought him into Herman's office for almost an hour to answer any questions Jalen might have.

Depth chart? Nah. Catalon can play nickel or safety, and with PJ Locke and Brandon Jones (potentially) gone in December, that leaves Josh Thompson at nickel. That's it. You might see BJ Foster play at that spot a little next fall, but a lot of that is yet to be determined. For now, Catalon was told he could come in and potentially play quickly. They emphasized how much the defense plays with six DBs on the field. This shouldn't be the issue that the competition is making it out to be.

Two more exposures to Texas? Potentially. After this weekend's trip, he's looking at another visit, potentially an official the week after the Big 12 Championship - December 14th-16th. He may also go to the Big 12 Championship the Horns hope to play in on December 1st.

He's maintained he's not signing during NSD 1. He's sticking with his January commitment date, something he's told me for two years.

Right now, I consider him as open as any Texas target in 2019's class.

ONE TO WATCH: Jefferson's Lyrik Rawls. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound sophomore safety has really caught UT's attention and visited this weekend. He was blown away. I'll have more on Rawls, Marshall's Savion Williams (2020), and Pine Tree's JJ Sparkman (2020) later this week. East Texas has some dudes coming up.

HOOPS

Four-star Kai Jones is announcing tonight. I really like him. 

By: Eric Nahlin

CALEB JOHNSON

It's been well documented for over a year now that Texas needs rover linebacker candidates in a major way. DeMarvion Overshown will likely be there next year, but other than that, the position is about as thin as, well, as thin as Overshown. He'll of course add good weight, just as the staff is adding bodies to the depth chart.

Fullerton C.C. speeding bullet Caleb Johnson is one quality candidate that has emerged. From the second his tape bubbled up he looked like a guy worthy of the staff pressing, and press they have.

Accompanied by his mother, he took his official visit this weekend. He mentioned what stood out to them most was how similar Austin felt to California. While you Austinites die a little inside, I'll add that this is and will continue to be a major selling point. I mentioned to Caleb that safety commit Chris Adimora told me the same thing, to which he reiterated the point. He also mentioned it was an easy trip to make.

Next up for him is Fayetteville, Arkansas to call the hogs. I'm not worried about Arkansas as much as I am of Oregon, a school "he might" visit. He has yet to receive an offer from the Ducks, and they have more bodies at the position than Texas. I'm unsure on what kind of priority he is for them. They already have thee four-star commits. Texas has three commits as well, but there's a pretty clear path to playing time in Austin that I don't think is as clear in Eugene.

Johnson says he wants to make an announcement after his last visit, which would likely be mid-November. Oregon has two games in November, versus UCLA on the 3rd and Arizona State on the 17th.

There will be some tedious moments in Austin waiting to see if that Oregon offer finds him. The staff would be wise to see out other Juco options just in case.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Why do I keep feeling like we aren’t taking enough OL and DL?

We haven't so far, but those are positions that you really want to see senior film on. Settling for highly rated sophomores is dumb. I'd rather take the chance on waiting and getting guys who haven't maxed out as juniors.

• Like 2

The Stampede: Loaded intel after big recruiting weekend

— Let’s start with a Crystal Ball pick I wasn’t expecting to make heading into the weekend. As you may have noticed, I flipped my CB for Melissa wide receiver Kennedy Lewis from TCU to Texas late on Sunday night. Lewis and his father met with Tom Herman for an extended period of time on the final day of their official visit, and I’m told that he is a take for the Longhorns following his trip to Austin. Texas made a big impression on him and appears to be in a prime position to steal him from its Big 12 bunkmate. It’s clear Texas still has a need for an outside wide receiver. Lewis fits what the Longhorns are looking for and is a high upside prospect.

— As mentioned, Lewis had a lengthy meeting with Herman on Sunday. Here is what his father, Fred, said about the Texas head coach: “His coaching resume speaks for itself. But what I learned about him and his staff as people was very impressive. They’re building a culture of family at Texas, and it really shows through the relationships between player and coach and in the win column.”

— So what would taking Lewis mean for wide receiver numbers? Well, right now, Texas obviously has three committed in Jordan Whittington, Demariyon Houston and Jake Smith. Meanwhile, top targets Marcus Washington, Elijah Higgins and Bru McCoy remain on the board. At this point, I would consider Whittington and McCoy more as athletes as Whittington has the potential to play safety, while McCoy can be a monster at linebacker. We still feel very good about Texas adding Washington before the end of the month, and Higgins is looking to make an OV in a few weeks. Five has been thrown around as the max number, but it really depends on how you want to define the receivers left on the board.

— Perhaps the biggest official visitor on campus this weekend was Caleb Johnson. Texas really wants a junior college inside linebacker, and Johnson is at the top of the board. Texas did everything it needed to do this weekend to land Johnson, and the Longhorns are the clear favorites in this recruitment. But there is a catch — Oregon will host Johnson for a visit and if the Ducks offer, that would drastically change his recruitment. Johnson is originally from the West Coast and grew up loving Oregon. He plans to make a decision after that visit. Johnson will also check out Arkansas next weekend. But again, we feel like Oregon is the only true threat.

— Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando and Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington spent a lot of time with Johnson this weekend. Both have done a terrific job of building a bond with Johnson, and I’m told they really wowed his mother. We haven’t mentioned Texas Director of Player Development Kevin Washington very much, but I heard he was a big reason Johnson’s mother really bought into the program. According to sources, Johnson really sees himself fitting in at Texas both from a football and life standpoint.

— The Peyton Powell recruitment is just strange. Powell has pushed back his decision a couple of times and didn’t express true interest in Texas until recently. The visit went well as Powell spent time with most of the Texas offensive staff and got his first in-depth look at the campus. As far as position goes, I would consider Powell an offensive athlete. Texas is surging here, but this one is all dependent on how hard the Longhorns push and how it is received. — EJ Holland

— I was in Mansfield to see Legacy face Highland Park on Friday night. I spoke with a number of sources over the weekend to get a good idea of where things stand for Jalen Catalon. In speaking with sources at his high school, there were some chuckles at the idea that the four-star prospect had silently committed to Arkansas on his official visit. The message from those at Legacy was that Catalon was fully committed to seeing the process out, and he was going to stick to the timetable he established early on in his recruitment.

— I also had the chance to speak with Catalon both before and after the game. As it pertains to his injury, Catalon was in really good spirits. He’s already had surgery to repair his meniscus, and he’s set to go back under the knife this week to work on his ACL. Catalon said that his recovery is going well, and his doctor feels that he might be ready for full speed sooner than originally thought. Catalon is the unquestioned leader of his team, and he stayed engaged during Friday’s loss and was constantly encouraging his team and coaching the defensive backs on the sideline.

— Catalon made it in to Austin for the Baylor game on Saturday, and it was his first time on campus for game action this fall. Catalon was originally scheduled to attend the USC game, but he just had surgery on the meniscus. Catalon was expected to be in for TCU, but he had issues finding a ride. I spoke with Catalon briefly after the game, and he was impressed with the way the Texas defense played and the way the team fought in the face of adversity after losing Sam Ehlinger on the opening drive.

— Following the visit, I spoke with a few more folks in regards to Catalon. Catalon met with Tom Herman after the game, who pitched the brand power of Texas and the reach of a Texas degree. I was told that the Texas staff is aware of the impact Chad Morris is making as Catalon’s lead recruiter, and they understand that the gap between Morris and Herman when it comes to head coach recruiting is pretty wide at this point. Expect Herman to be more involved moving forward and expect Texas to get some of the player moms involved to create more of a family feel.

— There have been some concerns about the depth at Texas playing against them, but I’m told that the Longhorns did a great job breaking down the depth chart for Catalon on his visit and showing him where he can make an early impact. Texas pitched time at the nickel position following PJ Locke’s graduation this year, and the fact that they consistently play with six defensive backs on the field.

— From everything I gathered, I would say Texas is playing from behind with Arkansas. The Razorback staff is going all out to land a banner commitment from Catalon, and they know the positive press it would garner to do so. That said, there is no panic on the Texas side. They know that they have his last official visit, and they believe that with continued success on the field they will be able to make up the difference in the race.

— I did some checking to see if there were any backup options in the event that Texas misses on Catalon, and it doesn’t appear that there is at this point. Most of the back up options are undersized defensive backs, and Texas doesn’t appear to be interested in loading up on smaller guys. Catalon is an exception because of his incredible ability, but Texas is prioritizing length in the secondary because of the explosion of big receivers within the Big 12. If Texas does miss out on Catalon, expect them to apply his spot to another position. — Mike Roach

— Four-star North Palm Beach (Fla.) cornerback Kaiir Elam made an unofficial visit to Texas and walked away with an offer. Texas is not actively looking for another player at the position but if you’re going to have a shot at one of the country’s top overall prospects, you have to offer while he’s on campus. That’s kind of what happened here. The staff wasn’t really pushing for Elam before the visit, and there hadn’t been much contact since he made his way to UT’s satellite camp with FAU in the summer.

— So how did Elam end up on campus? Well, Elam’s father, former NFL player Abram Elam, is actually a really good friend of Texas defensive quality control coach Roosevelt Maggit. The Elam family wanted to spend time with him and catch a game in Austin, and this weekend worked out for them. There isn’t too much here beyond that. While Texas wouldn’t turn down a commitment, Florida and Georgia seem like the heavy favorites in this recruitment. We don’t expect much movement here unless Elam returns for an official visit.

— I’m told the staff is happy with its two corner commits, especially Kenyatta Watson II. I'm told the staff feels Watson can be ‘special.’

— Rising 2020 defensive lineman Alfred Collins returned to Texas for yet another unofficial visit this weekend. Collins has attended almost every home game this fall, and his mother played basketball at UT, so this one basically seems like a slam-dunk. Texas A&M is very much in the picture, but right now, there is reason for the Longhorns to be confident in this recruitment.

— Texas also played host to 2020 offensive line targets Jaylen Garth and Logan Parr. Garth is very high on Alabama and Texas A&M, but he views teammate and UT quarterback commit Roschon Johnson as a big brother and has been really impressed with the Longhorns’ play on the field. Texas seems to be the early leader there. We also feel great about Texas and Parr, who picked up an offer a few weeks ago. From everything we have been able to gather, Texas is separating itself from the pack in his recruitment.

— Of course, one of the biggest notes coming out of the weekend was the fact that five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans did not make it to campus. Yes, he really did have a film room that ran long. If they had gotten on the road immediately after it, they wouldn’t have been able to make it until halftime. North Shore is one of the best teams in the state, and head coach John Kay runs a very tight ship. Evans’ brother maintains that they still have high interest in Texas and will look to visit as soon as they can. — EJ Holland

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Heh. Peyton Powell told Super K, "They want to bring me in as the dual-threat QB that they don’t have on the roster."

He followed it up by saying "Sam's a scrappy, deceptively fast, high motor gym rat, but he's not really an elite athlete if you catch my drift"

• Haha 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Meanwhile, the TCU mod Jeremy Clark is placating the TCU247 posters:

"TCU was fine with Lewis visiting Texas because although it would be a loss, it's not a huge loss. Another thing I've heard, only one coach at Texas is high on Lewis...and that's Herman."

Clark is such an ignorant dildo. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

"TCU was fine with Lewis visiting Texas because although it would be a loss, it's not a huge loss. Another thing I've heard, only one coach at Texas is high on Lewis...and that's Herman."

So the guy who has final say thinks the kid is really good.  What an idiot

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

So the guy who has final say thinks the kid is really good.  What an idiot

How in the hell would he know that? The assistant coaches aren't talking to the Texas 9.95ers, they sure as shit are not talking to the TCU ones. It's such a complete farcical statement.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This is a load of fuckin hooey is what it is. 

• Like 1

I'm assuming Kennedy Lewis is taking Elijah Higgins possible spot, and I'm 100% good with that. 

Jeremy Clark 

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Does anyone here have any insight to what is Herman's threshold for drama recruits, handlers, and attention whores? I ask because I look at last cycle and for the most part,  everyone is very businesslike and do think he'll put up with some shit but appears that he draws a line at leon types.

Herman doesn't like slow ppl - both mentally and physically.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Does anyone here have any insight to what is Herman's threshold for drama recruits, handlers, and attention whores? I ask because I look at last cycle and for the most part,  everyone is very businesslike and do think he'll put up with some shit but appears that he draws a line at leon types.

giphy.gif

It depends on the talent relative to the amount of bullshit surrounding them. Clearly there are a very few guys he's continued to be in on because they were/are far better than the next guy in line at that spot. I'd say it's not just Herman as it's pretty clear that this entire staff will ghost you if they are sick of your shit. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I would take it as a good sign if it means Mehringer is out and Herman is pushing is the buttons at WR for the time being.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lee is intriguing if only because we don't seem to have a pure pass-rushing DE like him on campus.  Google says he is a Nebraska legacy - but no Nebraska offer yet.

TCU is in a weird spot where they want us to fail but need us to succeed. 

Want us to fail: We're going to beat them out for recruits head-to-head a large majority of the time. If we suck on the field then they're able to even the playing field a bit and negative recruit us really hard. 

Need us to succeed: If we land the Wilsons and Leals of the world then they can grab the next tier of guys like Lewis and Warren. However when we miss on the top guys we swoop in and grab the guys they've built their program on. 

This year we're crushing it on the field but aren't hitting on the top guys. That's pretty much their worst case scenario.

• Like 6