Texas recruiting notes 2019

32 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Yesterday was a huge opportunity to gain recruiting momentum over A&M, what with their loss to MSU and the upcoming release of the CFP rankings. Frustrating to watch us bungle it especially with the remainder of our schedule looming.

9 wins or more (which gets us a spot in the Alamo Bowl at leaat) would be great to sell heading into 2019/2020.

We win 9 and the bowl and we’re pre-season top 10 with a ton of momentum in the program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Yesterday was a huge opportunity to gain recruiting momentum over A&M, what with their loss to MSU and the upcoming release of the CFP rankings. Frustrating to watch us bungle it especially with the remainder of our schedule looming.

9 wins or more (which gets us a spot in the Alamo Bowl at leaat) would be great to sell heading into 2019/2020.

I don't know if we are in the same hunt for same players due to the new aggy recruiting business model. At least this cycle that's evident. Wouldn't be at surprised if we keep landing high level talent out of state next year. We can shake our head at losing players in state but if we become a national recruiting power and aggy keeps taking Bobby Wolfe types, I'll take that as consolation. The lack of trainer,  handler, corches poisoning the recruiting well out of state has helped us with these guys making informed decisions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I don't know if we are in the same hunt for same players due to the new aggy recruiting business model. At least this cycle that's evident. Wouldn't be at surprised if we keep landing high level talent out of state next year. We can shake our head at losing players in state but if we become a national recruiting power and aggy keeps taking Bobby Wolfe types, I'll take that as consolation. The lack of trainer,  handler, corches poisoning the recruiting well out of state has helped us with these guys making informed decisions. 

Maybe. It's a little tough for me to look at last night's game and the problems we had up front, and reconcile it with the D-line class we're on track to bring in this year as a 'consolation'.

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Maybe. It's a little tough for me to look at last night's game and the problems we had up front, and reconcile it with the D-line class we're on track to bring in this year as a 'consolation'.

Leal. That’s what you are whining about, right? Because who the fuck else are we missing out on? What DL talent was influenced by the two games last night, and how? Mpagi and Sweat are takes in any class. So is this black raincloud of all because of Leal? Mowry? 

I’d like to be in a basket full of 5 star DL as well a la Bama but we aren’t there yet and Aggy getting two guys that were just this side of a Matthews isn’t going to change and last nights game had fuckall to do with Aggy vs Texas DL recruiting. Fucking shit. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Leal. That’s what you are whining about, right? Because double post fuckery 

Edited by golfclap
Double post bullshit
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Agreed about d line recruiting but if the best player in state is aggy for reasons we are not lowering ourselves to and then a cliff fall to the next DT, we need to get better overall on that front or have superior evaluations. We can only wait and see.

Horns247 Road Notebook: Which recruits impressed this week?

Horns247's EJ Holland and Mike Roach hit the road over the weekend and saw several top Texas targets. Here are their thoughts from their time on the trail.

Commits

OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge — Johnson completely dominated against inferior defensive linemen. He drove defenders 10-15 yards back while run blocking and was a stonewall in pass protection, often shoving defensive ends to the dirt. It would have been nice to see Johnson go up against better competition, but you can see why he’s ranked as one of the top offensive linemen in the nation. Johnson has continued to improve his technique since I saw him in the spring and looks quicker off the ball. From watching him in several settings, Johnson will likely start off as a right tackle at Texas. His skillset will allow him to really excel there and potentially play in his first or second year in Austin. Johnson does have the aforementioned technique and athleticism to eventually be a left tackle, but he will have to keep working on his feet. — Holland

Offered targets

QB Preston Stone, Parish Episcopal (2021) — Texas doesn’t like to offer players early, but it’s easy to see why the Longhorns shifted from their game plan and extended an offer to Stone. The elite 2021 recruit reminded me a lot of Johnny Manziel. He can make something out of nothing and does Houdini acts when escaping pressure in the pocket. Stone threw several lasers while on the run and made some amazing plays with his legs. Stone was also accurate on short-intermediate routes and just brought an extra ounce of swagger that nobody else on the field had. The only thing that really concerns me about Stone is his frame. He’s on the shorter side and needs to add weight, but he obviously has some time. — Holland

WR Elijah Higgins, Austin Bowie — Higgins made his full-time return to the team in a 52-14 win over Austin High. The four-star prospect caught a few passes at receiver, but he came up big running the ball from the wildcat. Higgins accounted for three touchdowns on the ground as he showed off his speed and athletic ability. Higgins’ large frame played well as a blocker in space, and he showed off great physicality and technique as a blocker. When he touched the ball, Higgins showed fluid athleticism and explosive burst. Higgins also spent some time playing defensive back, and he made several plays to break up passes. Higgins is a swiss army knife player who can line up in multiple positions and make plays in a variety of ways. — Roach

Three to watch

QB Charles Wright, Austin High (2021) — Wright was under duress for most of the night, but he did have some shining moments. The sophomore starter and Texas legacy threw for 273 yards and two touchdowns on 32-54 passing in the loss. Wright showed good mobility inside and outside of the pocket, and he showed a strong arm with good touch. — Roach

CB Jimmy Wyrick, South Oak Cliff (2021) — Wyrick showed the potential to be a coveted cornerback in the 2021 class. He plays with great technique and is extremely quick. He holds an early offer from Utah State. — Holland

S Jonathan Davis, South Oak Cliff (2020) — Davis is a prospect that will see his stock boom soon. He is a hard-hitting safety with a lot of length and upside an even saw time at cornerback. He holds a few P5 offers early on. — Holland

Which of the 2019 db recruits are projected early enrollees and which is most likely to see significant playing time next season?

If Jones leaves do we fill that spot with Estell/Brown/true freshman? Or slide Sterns/Foster into that spot and play Overshown in the dime role close to the line? Assuming Thompson takes over the nickel and Cook and Green/Boyce are the corners?

Just looking at it I'd say we need 2 or 3 of those guys to play

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Which of the 2019 db recruits are projected early enrollees and which is most likely to see significant playing time next season?

If Jones leaves do we fill that spot with Estell/Brown/true freshman? Or slide Sterns/Foster into that spot and play Overshown in the dime role close to the line? Assuming Thompson takes over the nickel and Cook and Green/Boyce are the corners?

If Jones leaves early the most likely starters would be

CB - Cook

CB - Green

NB - Thompson

S - Sterns

S - Foster

F - Overshown

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Not sure if EE but Watson and Owens are the only possible true freshmen that could play immediately.  Still Cook, Sterns and Foster seem to have their spots locked up, after that I don’t think anyone has secured a starting spot.  Still DB is the least of my worries DL and LB are the biggest question marks since we lose 5 of our front 7 and all experience in the middle.

25 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Which of the 2019 db recruits are projected early enrollees

None of them.

So far the projected EEs from this class are Roschon, Wiley, Whittington, Mpagi, Floyd and Tillman.

Of the other prospects we still have a reasonably good chance for, Cain, Caleb Johnson, Bru, and Myron Cunningham are EEs.

Losing Jones will hurt next year, but will make us stronger in 2020- when the entire defense should come back with a year of experience plus senior Sam and junior Ingram behind a deeper Oline. 

Sam and Keontay and Duv should carry us to a pretry good year next year despite some growing pains on D

I know Jack shit about evaluating OL but that kids got a good frame and pretty good feet.  Looks like a big TE right now.  Definitely not physically maxed out

If this is the type of player we are recruiting to give to Yancey - I'm in.  

Rhule seems to like these kinds of players too

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I know Jack shit about evaluating OL but that kids got a good frame and pretty good feet.  Looks like a big TE right now.  Definitely not physically maxed out

If this is the type of player we are recruiting to give to Yancey - I'm in.  

Rhule seems to like these kinds of players too

Apparently has a soccer background too