Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

(E.J. Holland) Mother of five-star Bru McCoy: Texas in-home was 'fantastic'

Texas head coach Tom Herman made one of the most important stops of the recruiting cycle on Tuesday night. Herman took a trip to Los Angeles, along with wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer, and met with five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy and his family. According McCoy’s mother, Shelby, the visit was an overwhelming success. “The visit was fantastic,” Shelby said. “It was great to hear Coach Herman reiterating what Coach Mehringer had said about how they plan to use Bru in their offense. Really loved having them in our home.”

As Shelby mentioned, Mehringer made an in-home visit with the family last week and firmly laid out the plan for McCoy as an outside wide receiver. Both Collin Johnson and Lil'Jordan Humphrey had tremendous success as big, outside pass catchers this fall, and the staff envisions McCoy in the same mold. Relationships and stability are two things that are important to McCoy and his family. Both Herman and Mehringer have been recruiting them hard for several months and only strengthened their bond with the family on the in-home.

Herman, who spent most of his early life in California, relates well to recruits out West. And Shelby made it clear that she is definitely high on Herman as both a coach and a person. “We love Coach Herman’s coaching style, will to win and sincerity as a person,” she said. Next up for the McCoy family is an official visit to USC this weekend. The Trojans have been considered the heavy favorites in McCoy’s recruitment for a while, but Texas is certainly making things interesting and built plenty of momentum during the season

McCoy, an early enrollee, will announce his commitment at the All-American Bowl on Jan. 5. At 6-foot-2, 212 pounds, McCoy is ranked as the No. 1 athlete and No. 7 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Texas head coach Tom Herman made one of the most important stops of the recruiting cycle on Tuesday night. Herman took a trip to Los Angeles, along with wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer, and met with five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy and his family. According McCoy’s mother, Shelby, the visit was an overwhelming success. “The visit was fantastic,” Shelby said. “It was great to hear Coach Herman reiterating what Coach Mehringer had said about how they plan to use Bru in their offense. Really loved having them in our home.”

As Shelby mentioned, Mehringer made an in-home visit with the family last week and firmly laid out the plan for McCoy as an outside wide receiver. Both Collin Johnson and Lil'Jordan Humphrey had tremendous success as big, outside pass catchers this fall, and the staff envisions McCoy in the same mold. Relationships and stability are two things that are important to McCoy and his family. Both Herman and Mehringer have been recruiting them hard for several months and only strengthened their bond with the family on the in-home.

Herman, who spent most of his early life in California, relates well to recruits out West. And Shelby made it clear that she is definitely high on Herman as both a coach and a person. “We love Coach Herman’s coaching style, will to win and sincerity as a person,” she said. Next up for the McCoy family is an official visit to USC this weekend. The Trojans have been considered the heavy favorites in McCoy’s recruitment for a while, but Texas is certainly making things interesting and built plenty of momentum during the season

McCoy, an early enrollee, will announce his commitment at the All-American Bowl on Jan. 5. At 6-foot-2, 212 pounds, McCoy is ranked as the No. 1 athlete and No. 7 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

"In short, I don't know shit"

- EJ 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

I suspect USC so momma can see him play.

I actually like DJ Williams the most out of all of the backs we're recruiting, but it looks like he's using his last OV on Georgia.  I like Stevenson's film.  We'll have a better recruiting pitch than OU and a later visit date.  I like our chances as long as he doesn't shut it down early. 

9 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m not sure any of the potential failures are on Drayton. The frequency which Herman abandoned the run this year may have more to do with it.

The massive leap in our offense's effectiveness this year was more than worth it. Our strengths were our QB and our WRs, and our thin RB depth chart should have been both a good explanation for it and an enticing situation for Cain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Ive been slower to bury Drayton than others,  but losing Cain to Penn State is fucking ridiculous. If that’s a recruitment you can’t win, then I’m not sure what you’re here for.

Just curious why you think it ridiculous to lose a RB to Franklin and Penn State?

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

The massive leap in our offense's effectiveness this year was more than worth it. Our strengths were our QB and our WRs, and our thin RB depth chart should have been both a good explanation for it and an enticing situation for Cain.

Now - THAT - my friend, is spot on. 

You got to play to your strengths, which we did for the most part. 

7 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Because they were an afterthought until a week ago.

^ This is just wrong

He previously utilized official visits to Auburn (Oct. 13), Texas (Nov. 3), Penn State (Nov. 10) and Georgia (Nov. 23). Nittany Lions coach James Franklin also welcomed him to Happy Valley in April alongside his father.

That initial Penn State visit, spurred in large part by first-year Penn State running backs coach Ja'Juan Seider, proved to be a pleasant surprise for the 5-foot-10, 212-pound prospect.

"I’m not going to lie to you — I was surprised," Cain said afterward. "When Coach Seider first got up there, I talked to my dad about checking it out. I thought, ’Well, they had Saquon Barkley up there. It can’t be that bad.’ I was expecting a decent visit but it definitely surpassed my expectations. I was blown away by everything."

Seider, who previously pursued Cain on behalf of the Florida Gators, has helped place Penn State in an increasingly enviable position within this recruitment since personally presenting an offer last January.

The Barkley effect also shouldn't be overlooked.

“Coach Franklin was telling me about how they built Saquon’s brand at Penn State,” he said this spring. “Saquon was the perfect guy for their program and he can be the face of football. He was really selling me on all the off-field things that make Saquon so special, not just what he can do as a player. That’s big for my family and I.”

His parents journeyed to Penn State in July, without him, for Lasch Bash barbecue festivities. In November, Cain attended the Nittany Lions' victory over Wisconsin.

Last Friday, Franklin reunited with Cain and his family for in-home visit. Soon afterward, 247Sports director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong placed a Crystal Ball pick for Penn State to ultimately sign him.

That was the first of four consecutive prognostications that point toward PSU as his collegiate landing spot. Notably, one of those selections came Wednesday from 247Sports Texas insider Mike Roach. The Longhorns lead his Crystal Ball with 50 percent of predictions.

Though Cain has attended high school in Florida and Texas, he considers Baton Rouge, La., home. His willingness to explore opportunities regardless of region has always stood out.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/Recruiting-Noah-Cain-running-back-recruit-with-PSU-Tennessee-Texas-Auburn-Georgia-offers-announces-ESPN-signing-day-commitment-126293871/

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yup. They were always the 3rd or 4th team mentioned in every article about him, probably because of pedo's lack of much track record in beating Texas and UGA for sun belt kids.

Edited by texifornia

7 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Because they were an afterthought until a week ago.

Afterthought according to him or a bunch of stalkers who don’t know shit? Homerism (for the sake of generating clicks) runs deep in the $9.95 world and Penn State could have been among his leaders for some time now. All these writers make ass-sumptions based on a few quotes and we take it as gospel. Meanwhile, multiple team’s discussion boards all read the same way regarding their confidence in landing a certain prospect.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

There is really no bigger indictment of how awful our run game was than looking at OU's depth chart and realizing that they were rushing for 300 yards a game with their 3rd and/or 4th string running backs. 

Better line, but they also forced teams to account for a prolific passing attack and a highly mobile QB.  Opens things up.  When OU absolutely "HAD" to run the ball, i.e. short yardage situations, they struggled some.  

TFB update on Trey Sanders and Drayton (from 12/12)

***Per a request from one of our readers, I did check with my Alabama source about where things stand between Alabama and Trey Sanders. Source said Sanders remains their top priority. In fact Saban will be in-home with Sanders over the next day or so. Source said they’re sending no less than four coaches to see Sanders.

Alabama feels confident but I’m told they are a little spooked by the move Georgia seems to have made this past weekend.

Am told that they continue to hear Texas’ name as a threat, as well.

Source said it’s Alabama, Georgia and Texas with Florida in the mix as well. As you all know, Sanders brother is a walk on at Florida but I don’t personally see Florida being much of a threat. When I went to see him, he didn’t talk about them much. The conversation kept going back to Alabama and Texas.

As I’ve said before, what appears to be the obvious choice is typically where a player ends up. It just makes a lot of sense for a kid who grew up in Alabama’s back yard and, in his own words, has been to Alabama more times than he can count – a team that churns out NFL running backs and wins national championships – to end up at Alabama.

Sanders tells me that he will have his in-home visit with Texas tomorrow. This is interesting because…

***I’m told that Stan Drayton will have his interview with Akron tomorrow. Coaches are used to flying to multiple spots in one day so I’d imagine he can do both.

Should Drayton get the job, no word yet on who might replace him.

Edited by Machinator

So basically this is exactly what CTJ has said  - Texas likes their chances with Sanders and McCoy more than anyone thinks they should and they are basically 'all in' on those two.

But we're doing this by sending a coach who is interviewing for another job on the same day that he tells a kid he should come to Texas.  And McCoy's lead recruiter is allegedly one of the favorites for the JMU job.  So that's interesting.