Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I don't have many complaints with Hermans recruiting but this is an example of one. 

This is a complete failure by the coaching staff.  Barlow is a guy you should've at least kept warm. 

Reminds me a but of Squirl last year.  

I'm fine going for the big fish but they haven't done a good enough job with the other guys much less the big fish.

Barlow can play at Texas and he should've been recruited accordingly. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I don't have many complaints with Hermans recruiting but this is an example of one. 

This is a complete failure by the coaching staff.  Barlow is a guy you should've at least kept warm. 

I'm fine going for the big fish but they haven't done a good enough job with the other guys much less the big fish.

This. Saban recruits Plan E harder than Herman's staff recruits Plan B. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I’m impressed with most of the evaluations. My concern is we don’t have the heavy hitters on the trail to string together elite classes. They’re gonna need some help through winning or something like last year in Houston.

This. Saban recruits Plan E harder than Herman's staff recruits Plan B. 

Comparing saban to herman in recruiting is comical.

Do you not realize saban picks and not recruits? Really?

And on edit:

Saban doesn't have a plan E or what TF that even means. He doesn't have some progression where the 4th choice went to Georgia and had to pick the (e) 5th best player. Iowa State does this, not saban.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

And on edit:

Saban doesn't have a plan E or what TF that even means. He doesn't have some progression where the 4th choice went to Georgia and had to pick the (e) 5th best player. Iowa State does this, not saban.

And all those offers Bama put out?  

I know a bunch of them are just "come to our camp" type offers. But thats a pretty wide net to be discounting 

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

And on edit:

Saban has kept in contact with Deondrick Glass more than we have, that’s what he means by Plan E. 

If saban “picks” like you say, then it’s even more inexcusable that he keeps a guy like Glass warm and we don’t. 

And I get that no one here likes Glass, replace him with Barlow, it’s the same thing. The staff didn’t keep enough RBs warm and now they have to play catch up.

And we did the same thing last year with Sqwirl Williams. Carrington had an in with that HS, and he chose elsewhere because we ignored him for so long.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

And all those offers Bama put out?  

I know a bunch of them are just "come to our camp" type offers. But thats a pretty wide net to be discounting 

Herman himself said it. You can’t put non commitable offers out for kids in Texas. If they don’t measure up and don’t get one Texas HS coaches shit themselves bitching. I think this is one reason OOS so much this cycle. 

Start winning like saban and this isn’t such an issue but until that time it is what it is. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

And on edit:

I was making a joke that you took literally. My point is Herman and staff should have kept Barlow and Glass warm while in the Cain sweepstakes. 

Sabsn visited Glass in person in December. Glass at best was Plan C after Trey Sanders and DJ Williams. 

Thats a long way to go during a critical recruiting month to visit his third choice. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I am not going to defend the RB recruiting because the results suggest Drayton and the staff aren't working hard enough after two years of looking like we were caught flatfooted in getting a second RB. That said, there have been other positions where we closed quickly on a new name and then we found out the staff had been working hard for months, but it just never leaked to the 9.95ers. Glass may not be tipping his hand on the amount of contact we have had with him or, perhaps even more likely, Barlow has been the next on the list and we have been working hard to keep him from signing with TCU in the early period and he has kept mum publicly about our pursuit because he is committed to TCU. Herman has kept things pretty tight on his end and if a player isn't talking to the recruiting services, we are likely in the dark.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

that was some of the worst competition I've ever seen and the defensive guy shoving his teammate at 6:16 looked like youth football players.

The competition isn't great, but it is pretty obvious Barlow is faster and quicker than anyone else on the field. I says a lot that he outruns all the East Texas DBs on film: It isn't even close. OTOH, his listed track 100 time is 11.64.

On 12/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, Caddox said:

Btw, the recruiting game has changed quite a bit in state. It’s cleaner but more sophisticated. Herman, Jimbo, and Riley all know how to play it very well. Jimbo has been extremely efficient at setting up his infrastructure in state. The ags are more organized than us. Used to be all about the hs coaches. All I’ll say is 7 on 7 is very popular in Texas these days.

Nah, the only reason Jimbo signed a top 5 class is because he's the new coach in town. Most of his class is bread, other than maybe 5 kids. He's not some qb whisperer, he can't recruit linemen, and his style of play is boring. He averaged 9-4 a year in the ACC. I'm not being biased, I'm being realistic. Aggy needed 7 OT'S and every miracle and help from the refs to beat an LSU team that has no offense. Aggy defense is inflated on the line due to playing teama that are still stuck in 1940 offense mode. Jimbo is a good recruiter, but hardly a wizard. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

I say try and get Glass. He's more explosive than Porter, which doesn't take much, but he showed out as a sophomore, and continued to reach 1000 yards a season for 3 years, and two of those at almost 2000 yards (soph and senior). My opinion, but I think he's more Rodney Anderson than Porter. He would be a good complimentary take with Brown. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Seems like Tom Herman and staff didn't know for some time either.

After the fact, it feels like the staff didn't like options behind Cain, and they just decided to play out the string and hope for a miracle at the end. 

They've gone from wanting Cain to needing another RB. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Any UH commits we should reach out to if Applewhite is out?

https://247sports.com/college/houston/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

A lot of the recruitniks like Nelson Caesar's game, but he's already signed. 

Da'Juan McMillan is the only U of H commit that hasn't signed. I've never heard of him, but he plays at pretty stout high school, PA Memorial. 

I don't think Holgo would be a serious recruiting threat at U of H, but he could make skill position recruiting interesting in Greater Houston. 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

https://247sports.com/college/houston/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

A lot of the recruitniks like Nelson Caesar's game, but he's already signed. 

Da'Juan McMillan is the only U of H commit that hasn't signed. I've never heard of him, but he plays at pretty stout high school, PA Memorial. 

I don't think Holgo would be a serious recruiting threat at U of H, but he could make skill position recruiting interesting in Greater Houston. 

I think if Major is fired, the 2019 NSD1 signees may be able to request immediate release under the new rules.

That's one reason why Urban Liar announced he was stepping down prior to NSD1.....