Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

51 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Ellison is a big grade risk, the rumours about him not qualifying date back to well before his senior year. Mowry's case may not be so clear-cut? Idk. @golfclap what have you heard?

Ellison lacked several credits and test scores. I have no idea how he was eligible to play high school ball, but from what I had heard he has no chance to get in, even by creative means. Mowry is a weird deal because I’ve heard he’s a smart kid. I wonder if his issue is a specific credit issue? Like a certain foreign language credit (insert Okie DT jokes here) or maybe a poor test performance? I don’t know but I also don’t know any of the coaches down in that area. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

TFloss with what appears to be less than good news on Glass and Shepherd

Reveal hidden contents

RB Deondrick Glass was just on Houston radio and he said he's committing at the Blue-Grey All-American Bowl on January 14th.

He also mentioned he already knows where he's going, so it doesn't sound good for UT unless they can get him to Austin this weekend.

OK State is thought to be the favorite.

///

On OL Javonne Shepherd...A&M 24/7 reporting he will be officially visiting College Station this weekend.

He then plans on going to Alabama on the 18th and Georgia on the 25th.

As far as Texas, he said he isn't sure if he'll officially visit, but if he does, it will be the weekend before National Signing Day.

6 hours ago, NoName said:

fair point, here is the actual Perroni report via LHF

Hide contents

5zmQ0S.png

Was this before or after Shepherd tweeted this?

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Cue the daily CTJ meltdown post regarding Mehringer and Giles.

While it’s always amusing to me when I’m archetyped, I don’t have the time, interest or energy to offer anything new than what we’ve already discussed on them, and I’m also not surprised that this news has popped up. I also won’t be shocked if it is a smoke screen and there are changes as guys take other roles. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Judging by the straw poll, not only is tfloss valued by you guys, he's fucking bringing it regarding insights and data, so yeah, let's print his insipid, regurgitated nonsense, dip it in molten bronze and post it as a trophy in the longhorn netdom hall of fame.

Or, just spitballing here, you could simply NOT open the spoilers and/or read the content.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I want to humbly apologize for having goaded ctj regarding the scriptural origins of the world's great faith traditions. I see now that it was wrong and is likely to have deleterious long-term consequences. 

Also, when are we going to start recruiting Iranian soccer players?

4E9C2C711529F2C8C86B046CCC9EACDDABAE33E6

31 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I want to humbly apologize for having goaded ctj regarding the scriptural origins of the world's great faith traditions. I see now that it was wrong and is likely to have deleterious long-term consequences. 

Also, when are we going to start recruiting Iranian soccer players?

I, for one, will not apologize for provoking some random sidetrack from the nerds regarding obscure religious shit. If it wasn't Zoro Aquarianism, it would have been some other string of bullshit today. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Vive le France. Honestly having a German and a Frenchman pop up on the radar on the same day suggests Giles is on the Sumlin vacation savings plan.

Out here killing himself recruiting in the French countryside

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I, for one, will not apologize for provoking some random sidetrack from the nerds regarding obscure religious shit. If it wasn't Zoro Aquarianism, it would have been some other string of bullshit today. 

This is the dawning of the age of Zoro Aquarius.  The age of Zoro Aquarius!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Freddie was Parsi, his parents were both Gujaratis. Anyway,

The Stampede: Rankings Q&A with Barton Simmons

Reveal hidden contents

247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons sat down with Horns247's EJ Holland to talk about the Texas class at the All-American Bowl in San Antonio this weekend. Here is the full Q&A.

EJ: Before we get into individual players, what are your thought on UT’s class overall? As you know, the Longhorns are back in the Top 10.

BS: One of the things that stands out to me is how athletic they are. They are getting a lot of legit speed guys. It seems like length and speed were a priority. They’ve been able to hit. It’s a national group. It’s a group that I feel injects athleticism across the board, even on the offensive line. I think there are guys coming in that can really move. If you are looking for speed and length, it checks the boxes.

EJ: Like you mentioned, Texas really went national this cycle. What are your thoughts on Tom Herman making it a point to recruit across the country?

BS: It’s one of the more fascinating storylines of the cycle in that Tom Herman has seemed really intentional about going national and using the Texas brand to find the best players no matter where they are. In some ways, it’s a calculated risk. But I think what they’ve done and who they’ve landed has been really quality across the board. When you’re looking at schools like Alabama, Ohio State and all the schools competing for national titles, recruiting nationally makes sense.

EJ: You’ve been doing a lot of national college football coverage. How much will UT’s win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl impact recruiting?

BS: In 2020, it’s going to be big. When you’re trying to go national, that’s going to help Texas gain traction all over the country with visibility like that and a player like Sam Ehlinger. Texas is now playing the style of football on both sides of the ball that kids are attracted to. There are freshmen playing that they can point to. There are a lot of reasons to think they can build off this year to have a really successful 2020 class and beyond.

EJ: Let’s dive into the individual players. The prospect closest to a five-star ranking right now is Tyler Johnson. Any chance he reaches that territory in the final rankings?

BS: Given where he’s ranked now, he’ll be a guy that, when we have an overview, we’ll look at. We’ll see where the chips fall with the Top 32. He’s certainly a candidate. With Tyler, he’s just such a low risk guy because of his off the field traits as well as on the field. I think at offensive line, that’s what you are evaluating. Whether he makes the five-star cut or not, he feels like the type of guy that will be successful, in some capacity, at Texas.

EJ: Jordan Whittington is in the area as well. You saw him here at the All-American Bowl, and he broke records in this year’s state title game. Will he be in five-star consideration?

BS: He clearly had a big senior season, even missing a couple of games. The state championship game caught my attention just like it caught the attention of everybody else. I was anxious to see him here. I don’t think there is any question that he needs to go up in our rankings. We’ll see how high he needs to go up with his ability to catch and run and pull away from people. In some ways, he reminds me of a Christian Kirk type of guy on the offensive side of the ball. He’s got versatility. He can fire a bullet on defense, too, if for some reason that becomes a better option. He’s certainly a stock up guy right now.

EJ: Do feel like fellow wide receiver signee Jake Smith is also a stock up guy? He was the Gatorade National Player of the year and put up crazy numbers this season.

BS: Absolutely, especially with the year he had. To be totally honest, most of his film hasn’t been on Hudl. If it is, correct me. We’ll check that. Given the year he had, he’s definitely going to be a guy we take a closer look at. But he’s not a guy that I’ve been able to get a running senior season evaluation of because of limited film.

EJ: The recruit that I feel might be the best in the class is linebacker De'Gabriel Floyd. You got to see him live here in San Antonio. What is it about him that doesn’t have him in the five-star tier?

BS: Floyd is the type of player that I’m reluctant to break down the reasons why he’s not a five-star. A lot of guys aren't five-stars. He’s a Top 50 player or in that range. He’s a really good player. He’s a true inside linebacker and a really good inside linebacker. But he’s not the rare athlete with the pass game versatility that I’d like to see from a five-star linebacker. What he does, he will do really well at Texas. He’s been a guy that I’ve been really impressed with.

EJ: One player that was really high on the composite but low in 247’s rankings was Kenyatta Watson II. Why do you think opinions differed so much with him?

BS: We’ve bumped him this year some. Depending on the returns from Under Armour as we give the national rankings another audit, there is still some potential movement one way or the other for him. One thing that limited him going into his senior season was ball skills. I think he’s answered some of the questions I’ve had with some of his limitations in man coverage. He felt like more of a zone corner, more of a bail and trail guy when we’ve seen him in the past. He looks like he’s really developed as a cover guy with his length and athleticism. I think he can play man really effectively. Balls skills is still a box that I’m not sure he checks. How big of a limitation that is on his ranking is something we have to figure out. But from a length and athleticism standpoint, he’s really rare. We understand that, and we’ll evaluate that accordingly.

EJ: Tyler Owens has been one of the biggest risers this cycle. What is it about him that you love so much?

BS: I knew Tyler Owens’ measureables, athleticism and track numbers following his junior year. I was aware of him. But the junior film left something to be desired. That’s why I was so excited with what he did as a senior on tape. He checks those boxes that you love to see in terms of length and speed. When he started to put it together on the field, that was a real no brainer move from a rankings standpoint. Fast forward to this event and my first time seeing him in person, I’m even more excited about him as a prospect. There is nothing mechanical about his movements. He is extremely fluid. He has outstanding ball skills. He has natural athleticism, so I think he is one of the biggest freaks in terms of what his athletic profile is. He will be in the five-star discussion. Whether he makes that cut, I don’t know. We’ll have to evaluate it and take a step back from this event and take a look at the whole landscape nationally. But as we hone in, he’s a guy that’s worthy of being considered when we start mapping out the Top 32.

EJ: It all starts with the quarterback. Roschon Johnson is UT’s take at the position. What are your overall thoughts on him?

BS: I think he’s a great fit for Texas. Going to Texas makes him a better prospect because he fits the offense. He has some outstanding intangibles. He’s got some great leadership skills. He’s very athletic. I don’t think he is a finished product as a passer. He has some work to do there, which has been part of my hesitation with his ranking. But I acknowledge that he could go in and have a ton of success just because of the skillsets he brings to the table. He’s the type of guy Texas should be excited to have because of the fit.

EJ: Are there any guys that we didn’t talk about that really impressed you in this class?

BS: I haven’t watched David Gbenda’s senior tape, but I thought he was athletic for a thumping inside linebacker in camp last spring. I thought his junior film was really good and really physical. When you pair him with De’Gabriel Floyd, that’s two enforcer type of personalities at the linebacker position. The other guy that jumps out to me is Isaiah Hookfin. He may be a ways away from a physical standpoint. I haven’t seen him in person. He’s still raw. But when you’re talking about guys that get drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft, they have similar profiles to him coming out of high school. He’s super athletic. There is a suddenness to his game. He just needs to get in a college strength program and get coached up from a technique standpoint. We ranked him as a four-star prospect because of the upside he has and his athletic profile.

EJ: I did forget to ask you about defensive linemen T'Vondre Sweat and Myron Warren. Those are two lower ranked guys that had big senior seasons. Do they have a chance to move up?

BS: I’ve watched Myron Warren. I’m sure I’ve watched Sweat. But those would be guys that I need to brush up on to make any educated comment on. But as with all of our rankings, we are hoping to do a national audit of all the commit lists before February. — EJ Holland

Galena Park North Shore running back Zachary Evans is the state's No. 1 prospect in 2020. Because the All-American Bowl takes place in San Antonio, Texas high school football coaches are usually involved in the game. Each year, at least one Texas high school coach is a part of the West team coaching staff, and this year the squad had two of the most well-known coaches in the state.

Steve Leisz is the head coach at Bellaire Episcopal in Houston, which produced Marvin Wilson, Walker Little and Jaylen Waddle in recent years and is home to offered 2021 target Donovan Jackson. He led the West team throughout the week and served as the offensive play-caller. John Kay is the head coach at North Shore High School, which features a trio of talented offered recruits in Zachary Evans, Damieon George and Shadrach Banks. Kay joined the West coaching staff just weeks after winning the 6A-DI state championship. Kay worked on the defensive side of the ball throughout the week in San Antonio.

I caught up with both coaches to get their thoughts on the Texas signees in attendance. Jordan Whittington flashed several times during the week, and the coaches spoke about his versatility and athleticism. “He’s a great player,” Kay said. “I’ve followed him because he’s from Cuero. He had an unbelievable state championship game. He’s got a great attitude, and he’s just one of those kids who loves to play the game. I know they’re excited to get him at Texas, and they have reason to be. I think he could play offense or defense. He’s one of those guys you can’t just assign a position to. He’s just a football player, and that’s what I appreciate most about him.”

“He’s willing to come across the middle,” Leisz said. “He’s a super tough kid who runs great routes, and I know he’s a quarterback favorite. They know where he is on the field at all times.”

Tyler Owens turned heads all week in practice with his size and athleticism, and that stood out to the coaches on the field. “Great length and very explosive,” Kay said. “I think he’s another kid who could grow into linebacker and play in the league someday. He’s done some phenomenal stuff for us at that low safety position, including a few picks in practice. I’m really excited to see him play.” “I haven’t seen him as much because I’m on the offensive side,” Leisz said. “It’s hard for me to say much about him because I’ve spent my time focusing on that, but I know he’s a dude and the defensive staff loves him.”

De'Gabriel Floyd drew rave reviews from coaches and players alike. Floyd was an inside force all week, and his physicality caused the West offense to change the way they practiced. “De’Gabriel is one of the most instinctive players I’ve ever been around,” Kay said. “I think he does a great job of coaching other players. A lot of the guys we have haven’t necessarily played linebacker in high school, but they are being recruited as linebackers so they are playing it here. There’s some guys out here getting their first taste at the position, and he’s been a coach to those guys. He’s got a great attitude and works hard. He’s as instinctive as they come, and he’s going to be a phenomenal player.”

“We had to change our run sets because of him,” Leisz said. “He just comes downhill so quick. He’s so smart and he gets off blocks. The one thing that really stands out about him is that he makes everyone around him better. He’s always helping the guy next to him and talking to them making sure they are all on the same page.” — Mike Roach

Both of the aforementioned high school coaches have overseen five-star talent in their programs, and they both said that they have great relationships with the Texas staff as they become a rising power once again. “I think it’s nothing but up,” Kay said. “I think they understand that too. We’ve got a great relationship with them going back to their U of H days. Tom Herman’s been recruiting our school for a long time from Sam Houston State to Texas State to Rice and all the way around. I think what Coach Herman is doing there is great, and of course the guys he brought with him. Corby Meekins is a guy we are close to, and I think this win over Georgia is going to catapult them to the next level, and they have the staff in place to handle that.”

“When Texas comes in, everyone is really excited about it,” Leisz said. “We have more kids apply to Texas from our school than any other college out there. Tom Herman is one of the quickest guys to respond to me. I even hit him up the other time to congratulate him on the win, and he responded immediately. He’s all in and he’s all about the Horns.”

Aside from high school coaches, the Texas staff has also done a great job with trainers and 7v7 coaches in-state.

Ro Simon of Fast 7v7 was in San Antonio for the bowl, and he talked about his relationship with Texas. “I have a great relationship on the Forty Acres, from Bryan Carrington to Drew Mehringer to Jason Washington and Craig Naivar,” he said. “They all show love, and there’s just great things coming from those guys.”

Simon has kids spread out at schools across the nation. He tuned in to watch Texas in the Sugar Bowl, and he said the win was huge for the state’s flagship program. “To do it in year two of the Tom Herman era, that’s big for the state,” Simon said. “It just helps me regarding what I’m trying to do helping the state. I’m trying to put talent out to help schools in-state. We play nationally and win nationally, so for UT to take out a powerhouse team like Georgia, it was big.

“A lot of people called me, and I told them I wasn’t expecting it this early. Of course, they see the expectations, but it shows what they are building up in Austin. It starts up front with the offensive line and Sam Ehlinger. They’ve got the quarterback situation figured out, so I think they will be in the playoffs next year and win the Big 12.” — Mike Roach

And Parsis are Zoroastrians that fled Persia after the invasion of Islam. Also, Parsis emigrated from Persia to Gujarat and the area of modern day Mumbai. Anyway,

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Neither will I apologize for asking about piss in your Cheerios after your early morning ornery post about TFloss. 

On the other hand, I do take partial credit in inspiring the Zoroastrian movement that you started today.

39 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Neither will I apologize for asking about piss in your Cheerios after your early morning ornery post about TFloss. 

On the other hand, I do take partial credit in inspiring the Zoroastrian movement that you started today.

Eat enough lentil soup, and you, too, can have regular and copious Zoroastrian movements.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Sprechen sie football?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Vive le France. Honestly having a German and a Frenchman pop up on the radar on the same day suggests Giles is on the Sumlin vacation savings plan.

I want to to point out that APPIAH is a Ghanan (Ghanaian?) surname. 

Ghanans have stocky builds, strong lower halves. I’ve known a girl with the last name of APPIAH whose parents immigrated from Ghana. She was also smart as hell. (Picked up her JD/MBA in 4 years after excelling at a top private small college on the eastern seaboard.)

1 hour ago, Keef said:

Out here killing himself recruiting in the French countryside

Quitch’er wining.

Mike Roach: UT signee DeGabriel Floyd ready to bring dog mentality to Austin

De’Gabriel Floyd was the bell cow of the 2019 class. The four-star UT signee committed early in the year and spread the message of Texas all over the nation. Shortly after arriving in San Antonio for the All-American Bowl, Floyd watched his future team impress in a huge win over Georgia. “It was really exciting,” he said. “After watching that first drive, I saw that we came out with that fire just like I was talking about.”

Floyd thought the win helped to change the narrative about Big 12 defenses. As a player with big aspirations in college, he hopes to be a key figure in changing that perception permanently. “I’m just bringing that dog,” he said. “I just want to use all of the attributes and abilities that God has blessed me with to show that we’ve got dogs in the Big 12.”

The Longhorns beat Georgia by being more physical. Physicality has been a constant goal since Tom Herman arrived in Austin, and Floyd’s game fits that to a tee. As an early enrollee, he’s ready to get to Austin and begin work in the weight room. “I’m ecstatic,” he said. “I’m ready to go. I can’t even explain it. Mentally and physically, I’m just focused in right now. I want to see how my body transforms. I’m ready for the speed, catching up with the game and playing against better competition.”

Floyd was instrumental in helping this class come together, and he’s become close to his fellow signees. He believes the potential of this class is very strong. “The sky is the limit for us,” he said. “All the Hook’ Em boys down here balled out, so that shows you everything. We’re all big athletic guys ready to get on the field and make our name at Texas. We’re already close. Everyone’s got the same vibe for the most part.”

At 6-foot-2, 245 pounds, Floyd is ranked as the No. 4 inside linebacker in the country and No. 12 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

At 6-foot-2, 245 pounds, Floyd is ranked as the No. 4 inside linebacker in the country and No. 12 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Wut

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

De’Gabriel Floyd was the bell cow of the 2019 class. The four-star UT signee committed early in the year and spread the message of Texas all over the nation. Shortly after arriving in San Antonio for the All-American Bowl, Floyd watched his future team impress in a huge win over Georgia. “It was really exciting,” he said. “After watching that first drive, I saw that we came out with that fire just like I was talking about.”

Floyd thought the win helped to change the narrative about Big 12 defenses. As a player with big aspirations in college, he hopes to be a key figure in changing that perception permanently. “I’m just bringing that dog,” he said. “I just want to use all of the attributes and abilities that God has blessed me with to show that we’ve got dogs in the Big 12.”

The Longhorns beat Georgia by being more physical. Physicality has been a constant goal since Tom Herman arrived in Austin, and Floyd’s game fits that to a tee. As an early enrollee, he’s ready to get to Austin and begin work in the weight room. “I’m ecstatic,” he said. “I’m ready to go. I can’t even explain it. Mentally and physically, I’m just focused in right now. I want to see how my body transforms. I’m ready for the speed, catching up with the game and playing against better competition.”

Floyd was instrumental in helping this class come together, and he’s become close to his fellow signees. He believes the potential of this class is very strong. “The sky is the limit for us,” he said. “All the Hook’ Em boys down here balled out, so that shows you everything. We’re all big athletic guys ready to get on the field and make our name at Texas. We’re already close. Everyone’s got the same vibe for the most part.”

Floyd is ready to be a Longhorn. I can't wait for him to realize his aspirations as a student-athlete at the school that we love.

The blending of the badge and the culture along side it is even more exciting for me. Hook'em.