Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Bobby Burton: National Signing Day

I look at this Texas recruiting class and the first thing that jumps off the screen to me is its group of receivers. The consensus top three players in the class are all receivers - Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith - according to the 247Sports Composite, which gives equal weight to every major recruiting service in its formula. But here's the deal. On a deeper dive, what I actually like most is the totality of the class across all positions. Sure, there are elite players like McCoy and gang, but there are also excellent huge-bodied developmental prospects like Peter Mpagi, T'Vondre Sweat, Javonne Shepherd, Isaiah Hookfin and Jared Wiley.

With Yancy McKnight as the strength and conditioning coach, it's a safe bet that three of those five prospects eventually turn into NFL-level players. There are also several players who drastically out-perform their recruiting ranking like Myron Warren, Marcus Washington and Kenyatta Watson. It's the totality of the class more than anything that gets me excited about the future of Longhorn football. There just aren't many players who don't look the part of possible future starter for the Horns.

If I were to be asked who the sleeper of the entire class is, I would choose Chris Adimora, the do-everything skill player from Lakewood (Calif.) Mayfair High School. Adimora is hardly a "sleeper" by normal terms. Adimora ranked the No. 190 best prospect in the country overall by the Composite. However, that's only the 10th highest-ranked high school prospect in this Longhorns class. So it's only natural that he gets overlooked somewhat.

What attracts me to Adimora is that he has all the requisite numbers; he's 6-1 1/2, 190 pounds and runs well enough to play anything from receiver, to corner, to safety or even nickel. And, he produces and plays better than even those numbers suggest, and he plays with a physicality that fits football. What's more, Adimora is only a relatively recent basketball convert, only the last couple of years concentrating on football.

Arizona State was the chief competitor for Adimora. Alabama also offered Adimora; they're not exactly poor evaluators of talent in the secondary. Even Boise State got an official visit, and they too seem to have a knack for finding future NFL players. So remember the name Chris Adimora. I think he'll make an impact on the 40 Acres and perhaps beyond in the years to come. Here's Adimora's senior highlight video for those who haven't watched him:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2As7zv

Talented lineman Javonne Shepherd's recruitment has been enigmatic. It is expected to end today around 1pm when he announces his final decision. He's expected to sign with the Horns and follow through on his verbal commitment of almost a full year. It was a topsy-turvy recruitment, complete with dalliances with Texas A&M and recent visits to both Alabama and Georgia. So much of Shepherd's recruitment played out on Twitter. I think fans of every fanbase he was interested in got a behind-the-scenes look at what happens in a lot of these high-profile recruitments. Shepherd was just more open about it and chronicled it more than most. At any rate, it's expected to culminate in a big signing day win for the Horns in Houston today.

If I had a choice for a second sleeper, I'd go with Peter Mpagi. He was measured at 6-4 1/2, 224 pounds last spring. That was up almost two inches from the year prior when he attended an Under Armour camp. I'm told that he's still getting taller and his play improved accordingly as a senior.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: National Signing Day

Reveal hidden contents

I look at this Texas recruiting class and the first thing that jumps off the screen to me is its group of receivers. The consensus top three players in the class are all receivers - Bru McCoy, Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith - according to the 247Sports Composite, which gives equal weight to every major recruiting service in its formula. But here's the deal. On a deeper dive, what I actually like most is the totality of the class across all positions. Sure, there are elite players like McCoy and gang, but there are also excellent huge-bodied developmental prospects like Peter Mpagi, T'Vondre Sweat, Javonne Shepherd, Isaiah Hookfin and Jared Wiley.

With Yancy McKnight as the strength and conditioning coach, it's a safe bet that three of those five prospects eventually turn into NFL-level players. There are also several players who drastically out-perform their recruiting ranking like Myron Warren, Marcus Washington and Kenyatta Watson. It's the totality of the class more than anything that gets me excited about the future of Longhorn football. There just aren't many players who don't look the part of possible future starter for the Horns.

If I were to be asked who the sleeper of the entire class is, I would choose Chris Adimora, the do-everything skill player from Lakewood (Calif.) Mayfair High School. Adimora is hardly a "sleeper" by normal terms. Adimora ranked the No. 190 best prospect in the country overall by the Composite. However, that's only the 10th highest-ranked high school prospect in this Longhorns class. So it's only natural that he gets overlooked somewhat.

What attracts me to Adimora is that he has all the requisite numbers; he's 6-1 1/2, 190 pounds and runs well enough to play anything from receiver, to corner, to safety or even nickel. And, he produces and plays better than even those numbers suggest, and he plays with a physicality that fits football. What's more, Adimora is only a relatively recent basketball convert, only the last couple of years concentrating on football.

Arizona State was the chief competitor for Adimora. Alabama also offered Adimora; they're not exactly poor evaluators of talent in the secondary. Even Boise State got an official visit, and they too seem to have a knack for finding future NFL players. So remember the name Chris Adimora. I think he'll make an impact on the 40 Acres and perhaps beyond in the years to come. Here's Adimora's senior highlight video for those who haven't watched him:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2As7zv

Talented lineman Javonne Shepherd's recruitment has been enigmatic. It is expected to end today around 1pm when he announces his final decision. He's expected to sign with the Horns and follow through on his verbal commitment of almost a full year. It was a topsy-turvy recruitment, complete with dalliances with Texas A&M and recent visits to both Alabama and Georgia. So much of Shepherd's recruitment played out on Twitter. I think fans of every fanbase he was interested in got a behind-the-scenes look at what happens in a lot of these high-profile recruitments. Shepherd was just more open about it and chronicled it more than most. At any rate, it's expected to culminate in a big signing day win for the Horns in Houston today.

If I had a choice for a second sleeper, I'd go with Peter Mpagi. He was measured at 6-4 1/2, 224 pounds last spring. That was up almost two inches from the year prior when he attended an Under Armour camp. I'm told that he's still getting taller and his play improved accordingly as a senior.

I'm told that he's still getting taller and his play improved accordingly as a senior.

motherfucker almost made it through the notes without saying it...almost

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I don't really care who Burton thinks are the sleepers in the class, I want to know which guy he thinks is the worst take that we shouldn't have offered a scholarship. That way I know who's going to declare early for the draft after kicking ass at Texas.

Burton on the class's sleepers:

My favorite sleeper in this class is me.  I've been on this whole relaxation kick for the last 11 years, and I generally get a cool 10 hours of sleep a night.  It's great.