Tommy Nobis and CTE

Machinator

From the AP: https://apnews.com/40d2013b71434a57a94b635b79e6701c

BOSTON -- Atlanta Falcons linebacker Tommy Nobis seemed to transition easily into his post-playing career, landing a job as the manager of the team's training camp hotel and rising through the franchise's front office to vice president.

For three more decades, the man who came to be known as "Mr. Falcon" never left football.

And football never left him.

"Growing up, I remember my mom having to call his secretary when he was going out to training camp to let them know what kind of mood he was in. And then vice versa," his daughter, Devon Jackoniski, said in a recent interview with The Associated Press.

"We were pretty uneasy growing up," she said. "Although my dad had just some beautiful moments of being a wonderful man, emotionally he was so unstable it was just hard to get close to him."

Researchers have confirmed what Nobis' family long suspected: He had the most severe form of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the degenerative brain disease linked to repetitive blows to the head that can cause the kind of violent moods they had grown accustomed to.

And now, as the NFL world descends upon Atlanta for Sunday's Super Bowl, it serves as a somber reminder of the impact that football can have on its players and those who love them.

At home, there was more football.

"It doesn't matter the time of year, my dad could always find a football game on," Jackoniski said. "That was basically our lives. When he retired, his only career was with the Falcons. We would go to all the Falcons games, whether we wanted to or not. That was who we were."

She remembered her father, who died in 2017 at the age of 74, as a humble man who was not very social, and yet a great public speaker. A prankster. Big Red. Huckleberry Finn with Muscles.

He was beloved in Atlanta; Jackoniski said he would approach children with disabilities at restaurants, just to make them laugh.

"That can be awkward for a lot of people, but it wasn't to him. He could relate to a kid but not an adult," she said. "When we were growing up, people would always come up to us and say, `Your dad is a saint.' We would just sit there smiling, knowing that when we got home, the tide was going to turn."

With his family, Jackoniski said, Nobis was a disciplinarian. Aggressive. Intense. "We always said we had to walk around eggshells with my dad," Jackoniski said.

When her older brother, Tommy, decided he didn't want to play football anymore, her father snapped. The incident drove a wedge between them, and kept Nobis from seeing any of his grandchildren for many of his later years.

"He just became unhinged," Jackoniski said. "We just thought that's who my dad was."

Nine years ago, Nobis was supposed to give the eulogy at his father-in-law's funeral. "My dad, who was the public speaker," Jackoniski said. "It was totally garbled."

Afterward, in front of the extended family, Nobis snapped at her 2-year-old son. His rage was so frightening they thought about calling the police.

"He was this caged animal that was just unleashed," she said. "At that point we knew there was something wrong. Once he took it out to the public, we knew there was something horribly wrong with him."

The family tried to avoid chaotic or noisy situations, but Nobis would become increasingly rattled in public. There were restaurants he couldn't return to because of his outbursts; he got out of a car at a bank drive-thru to yell at the teller for taking too long with the customer in front of him.

"It became embarrassing," Jackoniski said. "But it was scary, too. Toward the end my brother removed all the guns from his house, thankfully. I don't know if he ever threatened to use a gun, but my brother had enough insight to do that."

CTE, which can only be diagnosed after death, has been found in more than 100 former NFL players, and in dozens more athletes and members of the military who have been exposed to repetitive head trauma. The disease can lead to memory loss, depression and even suicide.

"When you see some of these guys going in for these tackles, I wish they would allow these guys to come into these houses where these CTE victims are living and see them living their lives, day to day," Jackoniski said.

"Do they really want their lives to be that way? Not only is it going to affect their lives, but it rips families apart, and it rips friends apart, and it is so destructive."

Although her children don't play football, Jackoniski said they remain Falcons and Longhorns fans and are proud of the man whom they were once kept away from for their own safety. And though connecting his behavior to CTE has helped the family understand Nobis' struggle, it also made Jackoniski realize that she never knew what her father was actually like.

"I don't know that I ever saw my dad without showing signs of CTE, my entire life," she said. "In hindsight, I think that was the saddest part of the news. His children never even knew who he was. My mom even may have not known."

Jackoniski said she doesn't watch a lot of football anymore, but she will watch the Super Bowl "just because I know it will be on in our house." In an email follow-up to the telephone interview, she said she struggled to comprehend what the sport has meant to her family.

"Football was my father's life, the air he breathed and therefore the air we breathed," she wrote. "It brought discipline and recklessness, self-worth and depression, strength and weakness, determination and fear, teamwork and destruction of relationships, competition and dissension, friendships and loneliness, strategy and brutal honesty, entertainment and subsistence.

"In the end," she said, "it brought humility in every sense of the word."

"That truly was my dad's first love," Jackoniski said. "He wasn't born with a lot of money. They were from a blue-collar area. It gave my dad a lot of opportunities, so it's kind of a bittersweet thing.

"He told me before he became very ill he would never turn his back on football or do anything different. But he would educate kids a little different in the game," Jackoniski said. "There's something very wrong with slamming your head against a brick wall over and over and over again."

A two-way star at Texas whose No. 60 was retired by both the Falcons and the Longhorns, Nobis won the Maxwell Award as the best all-around player in college football and finished seventh in the 1965 Heisman Trophy voting, just ahead of Bob Griese and Steve Spurrier. In the Orange Bowl against Joe Namath and top-ranked Alabama, Nobis led a goal-line stand to preserve the Longhorns' victory.

He was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1966 NFL draft -- the first selection by the brand-new Atlanta Falcons franchise. Rookie of the Year. Five Pro Bowl selections. But he never made the playoffs, with the upstart franchise posting only two winning records in his 11 seasons.

And when the Falcons reached the Super Bowl two years ago, he was too far gone to understand what it meant.

Dr. Ann McKee, the director of Boston University's CTE center, said on Monday that Nobis had the most severe form of the disease, showing a "severe loss of neurons and large CTE lesions throughout the cerebral cortex."

The family was not surprised.

"We knew there was going to be something wrong on his pathology report," said Jackoniski, who is a physician's assistant. "But it was shocking how a human being could still be alive with that little functioning brain."

Jackoniski was 2 when her father retired from the NFL, but football was never far from their life.

Nobis spent three decades in the team's front office, working in scouting, marketing, player development and corporate development. (He also ran a charity that provided job training for people with disabilities.)

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Obviously this story is about more important things, but it's ri-god-damn-diculous that he is not in the Hall of Fame.

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

A damned disgrace.

I'll Third that. Smacks of conspiracy.

'Course, I feel the same about MLBHOF and Pete Rose, so...

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Obviously this story is about more important things, but it's ri-god-damn-diculous that he is not in the Hall of Fame.

I still think he'll get in eventually as a senior, but the fact he wasn't selected in the appropriate period after his playing career ended is indeed bullshittery.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep.  And the only reason that is the case is that he played in an NFL backwater for teams that sucked.  If he had the exact same career in Dallas, Pittsburgh, Washington or New York, he would have been in on his first ballot.

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I think about stuff like this when former high school players complain about the pussification of football when targeting is called in college or pro football.

In grad school, I went a couple of years of watching very little football. I started watching the Oilers again when I was through. With new eyes, I was amazed at just how super human those guys are. I played in high school. Watching the game, I realized that I would be destroyed on the first play.

I was awed by how hard the men playing the game were. They still are. They and the game are not made soft by taking steps to protect their brains. We're just deprived of our thrill in seeing the devastating hit that we ourselves could never deliver or sustain.

Avoiding and reducing CTE is clearly the right move. I've never a story like this one. Nobis is a football hero. His SI cover photo is a defining image of the game. We must consider how much that brain damage could have been avoided or mitigated.

Hook 'Em, Nobis Family

+rep. 

I thought about it this way: the best player I ever played with or against or even saw in person was almost certainly not big enough, strong enought, fast enough or smart enough to make the team for Saint Darrell - or for damn near any other program remotely near that level. Still true.

these articles and more will eventually come scare the hell out of me.  I played the sport for 22 years.  I wonder myself what if any is going to happen one day.  My son played until 2 years ago, hes moved on to basketball, i was upset at first, but now I am content.  I still coach it, and we've done a great great job of reteaching proper tackling, but occasionally during games, when I hear the helmets cracking, I stop and think to myself. my god that sounded bad.

this one is a tough one 

• Like 2

Just read the story. It's definitely a punch to the gut to learn of the final state of someone like Tommy Nobis. Obviously we all look back on him with reverence and for good reason. It's shuttering to think about those in the future who may suffer a similar fate or are already doing so today. As Roma eloquently pointed out, "we all desire to see our guy lay a hit on the other guy because it's something we can't do ourselves." I'm glad steps are being taken to avoid head injuries in the game today, even if it means we as fans no longer get the hits we once or still might crave. On a personal note, I know a lot of guys who have dealt with head injuries from combat or their vehicle hitting a mine/IED. There is a huge difference in the situations we choose to place ourselves in and those that are out of our control. We are on a better path, even if we've only taken a couple steps down it to limiting or taking CTE issues out of the game of football altogether. I would really like to see a joint initiative led by the NFL and the DOD to come up with a treatment plan to help those who might have issues with this and/or design helmets to further cut down the risk for each according to the profession they are used for.

In his book, Time Enough to Win, Roger Staubach disclosed that he took a baseline neurological test prior to his career and repeated it after every season. The first time the test came back with an indication of a decline, he retired. He said the decline was a tiny decline in his twitch reaction. He did this on his own, and not with the team. He's approaching 77 now and still appears mentally sound. 

Doing baseline and annual neurological testing on athletes would lead to shorter careers and longer lives. It's not a cure all, as some damage won't show up until years later, but athletes will hide symptoms. When a decline shows up, retirement should be mandatory. 

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Just read the story. It's definitely a punch to the gut to learn of the final state of someone like Tommy Nobis. Obviously we all look back on him with reverence and for good reason. It's shuttering to think about those in the future who may suffer a similar fate or are already doing so today. As Roma eloquently pointed out, "we all desire to see our guy lay a hit on the other guy because it's something we can't do ourselves." I'm glad steps are being taken to avoid head injuries in the game today, even if it means we as fans no longer get the hits we once or still might crave. On a personal note, I know a lot of guys who have dealt with head injuries from combat or their vehicle hitting a mine/IED. There is a huge difference in the situations we choose to place ourselves in and those that are out of our control. We are on a better path, even if we've only taken a couple steps down it to limiting or taking CTE issues out of the game of football altogether. I would really like to see a joint initiative led by the NFL and the DOD to come up with a treatment plan to help those who might have issues with this and/or design helmets to further cut down the risk for each according to the profession they are used for.

I would love that  sadly, we cant even get them to recognize the burn pits fucked us all up.   But I agree, hopefully we find a way to diagnose while still living, and treat and possibly reverse the damage  

7 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

In his book, Time Enough to Win, Roger Staubach disclosed that he took a baseline neurological test prior to his career and repeated it after every season. The first time the test came back with an indication of a decline, he retired. He said the decline was a tiny decline in his twitch reaction. He did this on his own, and not with the team. He's approaching 77 now and still appears mentally sound. 

Doing baseline and annual neurological testing on athletes would lead to shorter careers and longer lives. It's not a cure all, as some damage won't show up until years later, but athletes will hide symptoms. When a decline shows up, retirement should be mandatory. 

we do a similar before each deployment, this is a great idea 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

these articles and more will eventually come scare the hell out of me.  I played the sport for 22 years.  I wonder myself what if any is going to happen one day.  My son played until 2 years ago, hes moved on to basketball, i was upset at first, but now I am content.  I still coach it, and we've done a great great job of reteaching proper tackling, but occasionally during games, when I hear the helmets cracking, I stop and think to myself. my god that sounded bad.

this one is a tough one 

Sgt Hulk, I mean this most respectfully - how in the heck did you play tackle football for 22 years?  

Also, wishing you the best for your future health!

3 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Sgt Hulk, I mean this most respectfully - how in the heck did you play tackle football for 22 years?  

Also, wishing you the best for your future health!

started at age 7,  played into college, then semi pro, arena 2 (way to slow) even tried out for the XFL haha    missed a year in Korea, and a year injured,  I just loved the game, played all over the world. I miss it, but my back doesnt  my knees dont, hell I get injured now, playing ultimate frisbee or ultimate football for unit PT   but good times where had. 

• Like 2

I feel somewhat guilty about the fact that I'm a football fan, but would never let my kids play it due to the effects on the brain (plus, they are pussies).  

All the targeting and defenseless player rules sound great, and may make us feel a little bit better about what's going on here, but everything I've read suggests it's the consistent, repeated blows to the head that cause CTE.  That type of contact is simply endemic to the game - there's no eliminating it.

In 40 years we're probably going to look back on football they way we do about smoking and wonder why so many people continued to do it despite mounting evidence it's terrible for you.  

Edited by bschoolprof

10 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I feel somewhat guilty about the fact that I'm a football fan, but would never let my kids play it due to the effects on the brain (plus, they are pussies).  

All the targeting and defenseless player rules sound great, and may make us feel a little bit better about what's going on here, but everything I've read suggests it's the consistent, repeated blows to the head that cause CTE.  That type of contact is simply endemic to the game - there's no eliminating it.

In 40 years we're probably going to look back on football they way we do about smoking and wonder why so many people continued to do it despite mounting evidence it's terrible for you.  

And in a couple of generations, no one will miss it. 

27 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I think there will always be people willing to risk their health to play as long as the NFL pays what it does. That said who knows what will happen to the game at an amateur/youth level. I think we're witnessing the beginning of the end for full contact football at the high school and below levels. Maybe college, too. Then the question becomes whether or not contact is introduced at the professional level, or if professional football eventually morphs into some sort of souped up version of flag/7-on-7.

my grandma developed awful dementia in her late 60s.  I can’t believe she played football as a younger woman; nobody in the family knew. 
It does make me wonder if we sawed open everyone's head will their brain show signs of CTE. Right now medicine only looks act selected athletes and combat vets.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Are you under the impression that medical science doesn't dissect and examine thousands of "normal" human brains each year? I figured they always have and still do and that the CTE brains are analyzed against that baseline.

they’re not checking your grandma who couldn’t remember your name for CTE.  sorry. 

I have a problem with attributing evil football to dementia because literally millions of people develop symptoms without ever having played a contact sport in their life.  it’s fucking ludicrous the conclusions that some people will jump to.  further, they don’t even know if CTE is the cause of anything as plenty of old people who don’t get dementia may very well have CTE in their brains but we wouldn’t know because it’s not checked for in an autopsy. 

36 minutes ago, futureman said:

they’re not checking your grandma who couldn’t remember your name for CTE.  sorry. 

I have a problem with attributing evil football to dementia because literally millions of people develop symptoms without ever having played a contact sport in their life.  it’s fucking ludicrous the conclusions that some people will jump to.  further, they don’t even know if CTE is the cause of anything as plenty of old people who don’t get dementia may very well have CTE in their brains but we wouldn’t know because it’s not checked for in an autopsy. 

I’ll disagree.  The pathophysiology is distinct and fairly well defined from Alzheimer’s, FT dementia and others...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5303562/

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ll disagree.  The pathophysiology is distinct and fairly well defined from Alzheimer’s, FT dementia and others...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5303562/

my grandma had terrible dementia.  after she died they didn’t check her brain for CTE.  maybe she didn’t have it or she may have been eaten up with it; we’ll never know.  her most intense contact sport was probably water aerobics at the YMCA but I’m not sure. 

Football better change now or it's gone, and I don't really know how you go about Changing it to any specific degree.   Weight limitations, equipment changes, tackling rules ?  It's gonna have to resemble rugby more I'm betting.

I don't know how long before it's gone, but I have a feeling it's gonna happen quicker than we all think.  As soon as insurance co's begin to charge so much school districts can't afford it, it's done as a sport.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t think he has any dispute with the family’s account. 

"Made him a terrible person to live with "

Not known?

His family clearly stated the difficulties living with him.  Or did I misunderstand his post? What am I missing here?

21 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

"Made him a terrible person to live with "

Not known?

His family clearly stated the difficulties living with him.  Or did I misunderstand his post? What am I missing here?

I think he’s disputing that football is what caused it.  perhaps he developed dementia independent of football, you know, like the overwhelming majority of dementia cases across the country. 

2 hours ago, futureman said:

my grandma had terrible dementia.  after she died they didn’t check her brain for CTE.  maybe she didn’t have it or she may have been eaten up with it; we’ll never know.  her most intense contact sport was probably water aerobics at the YMCA but I’m not sure. 

Yes, I'm telling you there's lots of pathophysiology of your grandma's dementia out there - like 10's of thousands of slides and the basic pathology is different from CTE.  There's lots of brains studied for Alzheimer's etc and they are pretty clearly differentiated from CTE.  While many of the clinical presentations are the same, the actual pathophysiology is different.  

3 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

What are you disagreeing with?  This link has nothing to do with football research.  

Huh?  It clearly differentiates CTE pathophysiology from Alzheimer's/FT dementia etc.  I'm disagreeing with those that say there's no way to say they're different.  

Edit: See below.  It's stupid to think futureman's grandma who had Alzheimer's, had the same clinical diagnosis as football players getting banged in the head constantly.  Did they have similar symptoms?  Sure, but they're different processes as far as the pathophysiology... as the vast majority of the neuroscientific community tend to agree on the bolded part. 

Alzheimer’s disease & CTE: distinct entities?

Previous reports and studies have considered CTE and AD as distinct entities with little overlap outside of the tau pathology that plays a role in both. Investigators have documented clinical and neuropathological distinctions delineating the two conditions.25 Specifically, the presenting feature of AD is short-term memory deficits whereas patients diagnosed on autopsy with CTE were reported to exhibit depression, mood lability and explosive rage, substance abuse, and occasionally Parkinson-like features later in the disease course. Furthermore, suicide was often implicated as the cause of death in those afflicted with CTE whereas suicide is uncommon in those afflicted with AD. This finding may be inherent to differences in lifestyle or part of unique pathophysiologic processes defining the diseases. Pathologically, AD is characterized by more general cerebral atrophy and the consistent presence of neuritic amyloid plaques, which are present in only a percentage of CTE cases (diffuse senile plaques; found in up to 40% of CTE cases by McKee and colleagues).4 Neurofibrillary tangles within the cortex are seen in both AD and CTE with the difference being in distribution. In CTE, tangles are predominantly in the more superficial layers II and III whereas in AD, tangles are seen in the deeper cortex, namely layers V and VI with a laminar distribution. Likewise in CTE, tangles can be perivascular, another distinguishing feature. Other differences are seen in the hippocampus and parahippocampal gyrus. In CTE, tangles are seen in Ammon’s horn (CA1-CA4) whereas in AD, tangles are found most heavily within CA1. Additionally, neurofibrillary tangles are commonly found in the substantia nigra of those with CTE, but rarely in AD.25 Finally, NFTs may be seen in the entire amygdala, pontine tegmentum even outside the locus ceruleus and raphe nuclei, and thalamus, particularly within the pulvinar region in CTE.24

While CTE and AD are clearly distinct entities based on clinical and neuropathological presentation or findings, a history of neurotrauma has been linked repeatedly to the development of neurodegenerative disease, both with regards to acceleration and increased risk of development.25,4952 Consequently, McKee and colleagues have documented that CTE may exist in persons of advanced age with AD, thus producing a mixed phenotype of AD and CTE.53 In this work, we present three clinical cases, demonstrating various clinical and pathological features that help delineate the relationship between AD and CTE. In case I, AD in the context of a history of significant previous neurotrauma is shown. In case II, CTE is evident independent of any significant AD changes. Most importantly, case III demonstrates evidence of a mix of AD-CTE pathologies. This case demonstrates the unique characteristics where both AD and CTE may be distinguished in the same patient, raising the possibility that neurotrauma may not only increase the risk of AD development but also possibly accelerate the disease course of CTE.

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Need to read that book, was curious how Staubach seemed to be doing well having retired due to concussions.  Just a GD smart man all around. 

Fortunately, there's a solution to the problems of CTE - as well as a number of other conditions.

The Voluntary Suicide Act, or VSA: will allow anyone who wishes to file a Declaration of Suicide, following which such person may end his or her own life, or allow other person or persons to end it.

Not only does this solve the problem of all sorts of sports injuries (since participation can be denied, absent a signed and witnessed DS), it also solves the insurance problem. 

Imagine JerrahWorld with a Death Row Freedom Battle - last inmate standing gets a couple MegaBux and a Pardon. Not one, but TWO skycams take you inside the action; Real-time Replays... and more!

Contact your Official Congressthing today, and demand the VSA.

12 hours ago, futureman said:

I think he’s disputing that football is what caused it.  perhaps he developed dementia independent of football, you know, like the overwhelming majority of dementia cases across the country. 

The article clearly states that Nobis had the severest form of CTE, which is caused by repeated blows to the head.  And which explains the behaviors he exhibited.  

15 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Fortunately, there's a solution to the problems of CTE - as well as a number of other conditions.

The Voluntary Suicide Act, or VSA: will allow anyone who wishes to file a Declaration of Suicide, following which such person may end his or her own life, or allow other person or persons to end it.

Not only does this solve the problem of all sorts of sports injuries (since participation can be denied, absent a signed and witnessed DS), it also solves the insurance problem. 

Imagine JerrahWorld with a Death Row Freedom Battle - last inmate standing gets a couple MegaBux and a Pardon. Not one, but TWO skycams take you inside the action; Real-time Replays... and more!

Holy blown up head Batman....

11 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Meh, it's been done.  (SEE:  Roman Coliseum)