Best Fried Chicken

Both Tacos

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Church's here had huge wings. They have the big hunk of juicy shoulder meat they hack off the breasteses, best part of the chicken. But they had a fire and now they're closed, probably for good. Place needed to rebuild somewhere else long ago. Their management was total crap.

Became my favorite part of the chicken, would use the dinner rolls they served to make chicken sliders out of them.  

<——— Church’s alum. 

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Alot of shit has already been said that I would agree with but if you are ever up in Plano Poor Richards cafe has some bomb ass fried chicken. 

it's been about 15 years but last time i had their fried chicken it was terrible.  i just get a bad batch?

Nearly 40 years ago, my family pulled into Albuquerque later than we anticipated.  The only nearby place to eat was the no-name skeezy diner sort of "attached" to whatever cheap motel dad had us staying in on our one-night layover on the way to Colorado or somesuch.  We sit down, and one of the menu items is "half a fried chicken."  I INSISTED on ordering it.  The waitress cautioned that they cooked it to order, so it would take 20 minutes or so.  Whatever, I wanted fried chicken, even though it was pushing 9:00 pm.  So, I sit there, starving, for close to a half hour.  Then my chicken came out.  Four huge, beautiful pieces, cooked perfectly.  The chicken was juicy as hell, and definitely brined.  Simple seasonings, but cooked perfectly and served fresh.  We all agreed it was some of the best chicken we'd ever had.

There's still plenty of random places like that -- a diner that just knows how to fry the hell outta some gotdamn chicken.  And when you find one, it's like hitting the lotto.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

Any one been to Allen's in Sweetwater? I want to try it but can never time my trips to make it work.

http://thetexasbucketlist.com/2016/10/the-texas-bucket-list-allens-family-style-meals-in-sweetwater/

It's damned fine stuff.  And it's actually 1) a pretty cheap lunch, 2) your family will love the grub, and 2) will love the experience.  Sit at a big common table with strangers, saying "please pass the mashed potatoes and fried chicken."  The place is an American treasure.  It ain't the BEST fried chicken in the world (it's a touch bland -- you're in white folks W. Texas, after all), but it's pretty good just the same.

29 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

Any one been to Allen's in Sweetwater? I want to try it but can never time my trips to make it work.

http://thetexasbucketlist.com/2016/10/the-texas-bucket-list-allens-family-style-meals-in-sweetwater/

It's a great experience, as Brisket said.  All you can eat.  The food just keeps coming without you asking for it.  The tab was just $10 even.  Crazy.

1 hour ago, Longhorn Al said:

I forgot to list Church's in my favorites.  I only know the one on Manchaca.  I've only been there a couple times in years, but it's delicious.  Those biscuits are insane.  Chicken is crispy.  And they have the best mac n cheese of any chicken place I've tried.

It's crispy, without being hard as a rock. That is my biggest complaint with Popeye's, as of late. You can damn near break a tooth on it, at times.

My cousin took me to Chandler’s Deli in Knoxville last weekend while there for a wedding.  Before going my uncle said that “we don’t want to go there for lunch because we are gonna want to eat dinner at the reception.”

it was a complete shithole and 2 of the 12 tables were covered with all kinds of junk like a hoarder lived there.  But the fried chicken pieces were huge and way better than anything i’ve had in Austin.  The thigh I had was bigger than most breasts at other places and we got 4 wings to go that completely filled up a large to-go container.  The sides (greens, m&c, cabbage, etc) were good, too. Recommended.

I was still full, but managed to eat dinner that night.

• 5 years later...

I’m a big Babes fan but not of the various big expansion Nashville
hot chicken places. The original Hatties in Nashville will knock our dick in the dirt.

In Dallas Mikes Chicken is great. In Ft Worth on south Main Jesus BBq has great honestyle family TexMex and near perfect fried chicken. We usually get a bird for the table.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Krispy Krunchy is secretly some of the best fried yard bird around.

I'm intrigued. There's (apparently) one in a Valero c-store right by the entrance to Horseshoe Bay. Are they all the same quality. or are some better than others?

I'm intrigued. There's (apparently) one in a Valero c-store right by the entrance to Horseshoe Bay. Are they all the same quality. or are some better than others?

Beats me. In my experience, they’re usually run by a random south Asian family that may or may not be related to the south Asian family that owns the gas station they’re located in.

Two tourist spots that hold up: The Loveless Cafe and Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room. Both had some of the tastiest fried I have ever had.

More local: Che's Chicken and Burgers on San Antonio's Southside is the best in the 210.

14 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Pasty, hairless knee. Would not eat.

10 months without sun in NY will have that affect. 

14 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Pretty clean knee surgery scar though.  Pos rep to his surgeon.

Proud member of the Knee Replacement Club(both knees). 

9 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Valero is where are closest KKC is located.  

I know it’s in Oklahoma but if you are ever up this way you really should get this place. It’s about 15 minutes from my house and is by far the best fried chicken I have ever had. We eat there once a month or so. Very limited menu but that’s what makes it cool. Been around forever, and they serve really cold beer. 

https://eischensbar.com

Our kids live in Meeker and we get to Eischen’s a couple times a year. What an operation. He just kept adding another building and knocking thru a wall. Great fried chicken, but know it’s a huge bar not a restaurant. You buy it by the bird. He’s got fried okra, Frito pie and that’s about it. Just settle in and eat a mess of fried chicken. It’s worth a drive or detour. Cash only.

11 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Our kids live in Meeker and we get to Eischen’s a couple times a year. What an operation. He just kept adding another building and knocking thru a wall. Great fried chicken, but know it’s a huge bar not a restaurant. You buy it by the bird. He’s got fried okra, Frito pie and that’s about it. Just settle in and eat a mess of fried chicken. It’s worth a drive or detour. Cash only.

Not any more, they now take credit cards. Too many people bitched so they gave in. 

Not any more, they now take credit cards. Too many people bitched so they gave in. 

Capitulating to the cashless society fascisti. They have several ATMs. Today you’re the king. Next stop…Valentina’s.

42 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Hard to beat the fried chicken at Golden Chick in downtown Georgetown.

The golden roasted is also good and their sides are excellent.

They don't do fried chicken livers, though.  Bush's on Williams Drive is where I go to have that guilty pleasure.  With cream gravy, of course!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is there anyone on the Chester side of Chester's vs Krispy Fried for gas station fried chicken? I ate at the one that was in La Grange a ton growing up when we traveled down to the coast to see family.

Not me, although that doesn't mean I'm hating on Chester, it's plenty good.

In our area we are overrun with chicken places. Mrs. CHIEF's is by far the best. We have Babe's, Golden Chick, a Chicken Express next to the Golden Chick (they share a parking lot), Cotton Patch, KFC, Chic-Fil-A, and a Canes. This is in a town of less than 10k people. Even the Brookshire's that I can drive my golf cart to has great chicken. For strips, its either Chick-Fil-A or Canes. For gizzards it is Chicken Express all the way. Babe's is for Sunday after church, but it is so loud, you can't have a conversation in there.  We have a Chester's right outside both gates. I'm surprised we don't have people walking around with feathers growing out.

CHIEF

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Bill Miller is off our list since they closed their Burnet Road location.  I mean, our older son was their "chicken guy".  He knew their fried chicken inside and out.  Good luck getting him to cook it for us, though.  Something something "finish my degree", blah.

Love Bill Miller fried chicken!

• Like 1

Question from a TX native that hasn't lived there for 33-ish years - is Golden Chick connected in any way to the Golden Fried Chicken chain from back in the 1980's?  I grew up in Mineral Wells, where Richard Stewart started Golden, built it up into a decent regional chain, sold it, sat out a non-compete, then started Chicken Express essentially re-inventing his chicken wheel.  I have never laid eys on a Golden Chick, so I have no idea how similar or different their menu is to Chicken E.

Thanks in advance!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Chick

Golden Chick, formerly known as Golden Fried Chicken, is a quick-service restaurant franchise headquartered in Richardson, Texas. Mark Parmerlee,[1] head of Golden Tree Restaurants[2] serves as the President and Chairman.

The first restaurant was in 1967 in San Marcos, Texas, under the name Golden Fried Chicken. Franchising started in 1972. 

Usually get their tenders which are usually pretty good, but a few weeks ago tried their regular fried chicken.  Not great, Bob.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had the 1/4 dark at T22 last night.  Honestly, it was pretty good.  I got "Hot" seasoning, which is basically one step above "milquetoast".  It was hot enough for me.

Their fries suck, though.  Should've gotten double mac'n'cheese.

T22 is solid if you want that Nashville hot chicken thing. I usually get Dang Hot. Anything beyond that and the heat overpowers the flavor, in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 2

There's a little gas station on HWY 46 in between Smithson Valley HS and Bulverde that has amazingly good fried chicken.  I don't mean amazing for a gas station, I mean amazing in the Fried Chicken universe as a whole.  Better than any I've found in San Antonio and that includes the Earl Abel's down by The Pearl.  Reminds me a lot of McCardy's Fried Chicken in NOLA on Broad St (right up there with Willa Mae's imo).

I'll try to get some photo evidence later today.  Gives me an excuse to stop by.

12 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Royers on Sundays. JB knows how to fry up that yardbird. 

You've been holding out on me.

• Hook 'Em 1