Things you're a little bit embarrassed to admit

Hanrahan

Also mentioned in the "what make you surly" thread, but this place seemed more appropriate.

I tear up everytime I read The Giving Tree. My kids always ask why I stop halfway to "admire the pictures", I also tell them that the tear drops are just because I'm just yawning so hard.

• Haha 1

Also mentioned in the "what make you surly" thread, but this place seemed more appropriate.

I tear up everytime I read The Giving Tree. My kids always ask why I stop halfway to "admire the pictures", I also tell them that the tear drops are just because I'm just yawning so hard.

That one didn’t get me nearly as bad as Love You Forever. I’m not even sure I could start on it now that my grandmother has passed away.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I don't what the fuck people mean by X Y Z receivers

X receiver lines up by himself on the weak side (split end)

Y receiver is a tight end

Z receiver is lined up on the strong side of the formation (the side the tight end in on) and is a slot receiver 

Edited by BurntOrangeCrush

On 10/9/2018 at 3:15 PM, Whatever said:

Same here.  Can look at a map of Texas for hours.

I had a drawer stuffed with maps when I was a kid. Every gas station we stopped at was thoroughly plundered and pillaged of Maps. I was never really bored on trips, 40+ years before smart phones.

Not the least bit embarrassed to admit.

I don’t know how anyone can develop of mental map from using a map app or GPS. The finer details disappear when you pan out and the surrounding territory is obviously lost once you zoom in. Give me a few minutes with a paper map, and I have a navigable version right there in the old noggin.  /getoffmylawn

Wrong thread, I know. 

• Like 2

I had a drawer stuffed with maps when I was a kid. Every gas station we stopped at was thoroughly plundered and pillaged of Maps. I was never really bored on trips, 40+ years before smart phones.
I don’t know how anyone can develop of mental map from using a map app or GPS. The finer details disappear when you pan out and the surrounding territory is obviously lost once you zoom in. Give me a few minutes with a paper map, and I have a navigable version right there in the old noggin.  /getoffmylawn
Wrong thread, I know. 
On family trips I would sit in the back and navigate. Count off the miles on the highway and compare to the little red numbers on the map. I bought a big spiral bound US road map right before smart phones became a thing. Still have it tucked away behind my driver's seat.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I had a drawer stuffed with maps when I was a kid. Every gas station we stopped at was thoroughly plundered and pillaged of Maps. 

Gas station maps. Forgot all about those. When I bought my first car I went to the map store and bought the tear-resistant map and street atlases for the glovebox.

28 minutes ago, elfenix said:

On family trips I would sit in the back and navigate. 

Navigated from the passenger seat while my dad drove. 

Drew detailed neighborhood maps for my first science fair to illustrate different scales. 

A friend had a 3D topographic map in his cubicle and I commented how nice it was. "Yeah, I really love maps." He must have. Worked as an emergency road service dispatcher for AAA. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I don't what the fuck people mean by X Y Z receivers

9 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

X receiver lines up by himself on the weak side (split end)

Y receiver is a tight end

Z receiver is lined up on the strong side of the formation (the side the tight end in on) and is a slot receiver 

I think it depends on the system, but when I coached football, our O-Coordinator had them:

X = Outside left, typically on LOS

Z = Outside right, typically on LOS

Y = Slot, typically off LOS.  Could line up in TE position, but rarely.

X&Z would never go to the opposite side for trips.

7 hours ago, Stoogey said:

Gas station maps. Forgot all about those. When I bought my first car I went to the map store and bought the tear-resistant map and street atlases for the glovebox.

Navigated from the passenger seat while my dad drove. 

Drew detailed neighborhood maps for my first science fair to illustrate different scales. 

A friend had a 3D topographic map in his cubicle and I commented how nice it was. "Yeah, I really love maps." He must have. Worked as an emergency road service dispatcher for AAA. 

Gas station maps ftw. The station I always go to is nothing special, but I’m a loyal customer because they have a display of free state maps from most of the fly-over states west of the Mississippi (except cheap-ass Minnesota doesn’t give out free maps). And yes, I have at least one of each in both of our cars plus a set at home. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 1:54 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Wrong thread, I know. 

Back when I worked for Austin Fire, (70s, 80s, 90s) territory maps were a big thing. Almost everyone had a hand made map book with the different territory boxes in them. Most of them were hand drawn, although some of us would get the wall sized city maps and cut them to page size. We'd use white out and ink to make changes, add all the hydrants and write in block numbers where streets dead ended. Knowing the territory was a big deal, cause they didn't designate units. They just toned all the stations and gave the address. You'd better damned well know if a call was yours, cause if you didn't the chief was at the station to have a talk. You also had to keep track of which other units were out of service, cause if a call came in in your second in and you didn't know the first in was out, you had a problem. 

The map talk also reminded me that when I was younger, I never bought souvenirs when I traveled. I bought a map of the state and the city. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 1:25 PM, Degenerate Gardner said:

I need reading glasses.  20/20 vision up until now.  It's like I went off warranty when I turned 46.

I had glasses most of my life (-0.4 vision). Now I can't read a book, iPad, note from school without needing to take off my glasses. At home, I don't even wear my glasses anymore because chances are my kids will stick a piece of paper in front of my nose every 5 minutes asking me to read is about 90-100%.

Years ago, when my gramps died, we went through his desk (which I have in my upstairs study. Fucker weighs over 200 pounds (desk not gramps). It was a bitch getting it up the stairs). Anyway, I found a foot high stack of old National Geographic maps in a bottom drawer. i kept them for years. Still have a few of my favorites in a bottom drawer. I'll still pull one out and look at it on occasion.

40 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Years ago, when my gramps died, we went through his desk (which I have in my upstairs study. Fucker weighs over 200 pounds (desk not gramps). It was a bitch getting it up the stairs). Anyway, I found a foot high stack of old National Geographic maps in a bottom drawer. i kept them for years. Still have a few of my favorites in a bottom drawer. I'll still pull one out and beat off to it on occasion.

Like grandfather, like grandson?

On 10/13/2018 at 2:19 AM, elfenix said:
On 10/13/2018 at 1:54 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:
Wrong thread, I know. 

On family trips I would sit in the back and navigate. Count off the miles on the highway and compare to the little red numbers on the map. I bought a big spiral bound US road map right before smart phones became a thing. Still have it tucked away behind my driver's seat.

Yeah, I would navigate while my dad drove.  He would make me figure out the actual mileage between our origin and destination and then we'd see how close I was when we got there. 

In Houston in the late 90's I was a delivery driver on the weekends.  Best thing I bought for that was a Mapsco. 

• Like 1

Delivered pizza once upon a time, store had something like mapsco that showed the individual apartment building numbers in a complex. Saved driving around trying to find the right building.

As a kid we vacationed in the family truckster, maps were a big part of those travels around the country. All of us kids know how to read a map just because we passed the time on those trips by studying those maps.

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:04 AM, Planet Houston said:

I just saw Stepbrothers for the first time this week on an international flight. Not because I purposely was holding out or anything, I just hadn’t gotten around to it. 

Just been a real busy 10 years, huh?

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1