Another I-35 Rock Thrower

irishtexan

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Woman-killed-after-large-rock-is-thrown-from-overpass-506954261.html

Woman dies after large rock thrown from I-35 overpass hits car

TEMPLE, Texas (KWTX) Temple police are investigating the death of a woman after a large rock thrown from an Interstate 35 overpass crashed through the windshield of a family's car.

According to a press release, Temple police officers responded at around 8:40 p.m. Saturday to an injury call near the 2600 block of Interstate 35 and Belair Drive.

The caller told 911 operators that a family of five were traveling northbound on the interstate between exits 303 and 305 when someone threw a large rock from the railroad track overpass.

The rock broke through a vehicle's windshield, significantly injuring the front seat passenger.

That passenger, Keila Ruby Flores, 33, was taken to Scott & White Medical Center where she died just after 10:30 a.m. Sunday, police said.

Flores' boyfriend, Christopher Rodriguez, was driving the car while her three children, the youngest 6 years old, were sitting in the back.

"(We were) headed back to Waco on 35 northbound, all of sudden something just strikes the window," Rodriguez said.

"An explosion just comes right through the window. I didn’t know what it was. I look over and I see Keila and she is laying there unresponsive. I’m just shaking her, trying to wake her up, (but) she was unresponsive."

An autopsy has been ordered.

Temple police say there is no suspect information.

Rodriguez and the entire Flores family is asking for the public's help Sunday night.

Investigators are asking anyone who has any information to contact the Temple Police Department at (254) 298-5500.

Tips may also be submitted online.

Similar incidents have happened in the past in Central Texas.

In June 2017, a rock thrown from the Paddy Hamilton overpass on U.S. Highway 190/Interstate 14 struck the windshield of a man’s car.

Orlando Garcia of Copperas Cove says he was westbound on the highway when the rock struck the windshield.

He says the rock was thrown by one of two boys.

Garcia wasn’t injured.

In July 2013, two juveniles were arrested in Waco after rocks and chunks of concrete where thrown from an overpass, damaging at least eight vehicles and leaving several drivers and passengers with cuts on their faces and upper bodies.

The injured were treated at the scene.

The two suspects taken into custody were 11 and 13. 
They were charged with aggravated assault, engaging in organized criminal activity and eight counts of criminal mischief.

Both were taken to the Bill Logue Juvenile Justice Center.

1 minute ago, BearSchlong said:

I just can't wrap my head around why people do this.

Me neither.  Do they honestly intend to kill or seriously injure someone?  Or do they do this for shits and giggles stupidly thinking that a big rock is just going to put a big dent in the hood or top of the car? 

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Me neither.  Do they honestly intend to kill or seriously injure someone?  Or do they do this for shits and giggles stupidly thinking that a big rock is just going to put a big dent in the hood or top of the car? 

Have you ever met a teenager?

• Like 5

I looked on kxan.com and their Twitter feed, and found only references to the Temple incident. Please post an update on the second one when possible.

Just a senseless act, and a life snuffed out. And it could happen to any of us, or any of our family members if they travel at all. If it’s some stupid kid(s) who did it, I hope their conscience forces them to come forward.

Here is some info about the second incident.

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/local/second-rock-thrown-near-overpass-in-temple-no-one-injured-police-say/500-7f2a3c92-c0d3-4e80-9a06-4a5f5a6478ee

Looks like it hit the sunroof of a car. No injuries thank goodness. TXDOT recently opened the new bridges/lanes over I35 in north Temple (although the Nugent overpass where they think this one happend has remained open). Plenty of construction still ongoing so plenty of rocks laying around. And Temple ISD is on spring break this week. Hmmm. 

Edited by Fuck Tim Beck

22 hours ago, South Austin said:

Or do they do this for shits and giggles stupidly thinking that a big rock is just going to put a big dent in the hood or top of the car? 

Yes. The adolescent mind is full of stupid. Which is why the little shits shouldn't be allowed by their parents to roam around after dark.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

Yes. The adolescent mind is full of stupid. Which is why the little shits shouldn't be allowed by their parents to roam around after dark.

Had that happen here in Va. a few years back.  The woman lived, barely.  I hope they catch the little fuckers, its almost 100% kids who did it (speculation of course) but they do this kind of really stupid stuff with no concept of the ramifications.

31 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Had that happen here in Va. a few years back.  The woman lived, barely.  I hope they catch the little fuckers, its almost 100% kids who did it (speculation of course) but they do this kind of really stupid stuff with no concept of the ramifications.

Not so sure it's just kids fucking around if they are doing it again after killing a woman the first time. This seems more deliberate. 

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

eh, last time it was a grown man and he was silly enough to be the "good Samaritan" and report it to the police multiple times

9 hours ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Here is some info about the second incident.

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/local/second-rock-thrown-near-overpass-in-temple-no-one-injured-police-say/500-7f2a3c92-c0d3-4e80-9a06-4a5f5a6478ee

Looks like it hit the sunroof of a car. No injuries thank goodness. TXDOT recently opened the new bridges/lanes over I35 in north Temple (although the Nugent overpass where they think this one happend has remained open). Plenty of construction still ongoing so plenty of rocks laying around. And Temple ISD is on spring break this week. Hmmm. 

Maybe the driver of the car had cancer and paid the rock thrower to take him out?

5c0e491f-f0cc-450e-ab75-9cc772e9bd84_scr

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

We need to find the balance between absolute privacy and constant monitering. China has millions of cameras recording every inch of their largest cities. We need to have cameras on the roads and major intersections imo.

Not gonna do a lot of good if the perp is hoodied up, and it's at night or the wrong viewing angle is it ?

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, Drew said:

Shit, I go to Temple all the damn time from here in Killeen.  Scary shit.

Is it? Is it really scary?

By that rationale are you scared of being struck by lightning every time you walk out your front door? I mean, maybe you are. If so, thoughts and prayers.

Just now, El Diablo said:

Maybe eerie? Creepy? Kinda like when some jogger gets murdered at the park where you run frequently, not really scary scary but kind of a weird vibe when you pass that spot kind of scary.

I drive by the Anderson Lane yogurt shop several times a week.  Maybe once or twice a year, I think about the murders, and it creeps me out.  Most other times, I just pull into the Chevron across the street and gas up.