How Fox News works

retread

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

These people can seamlessly hold these thoughts simultaneously: "swearing is a horrible thing" and "maybe gay people shouldn't be allowed to exist."

My mother in law watched Top Gun Maverick with us a few months back, and she enjoyed it the whole way through. Right up until they say "fuck" one time (if there's ever been a more appropriate time in cinema history to swear than when you steal an old F-14 from a Russia-adjacent military base and then have an enemy jet flat spin 50 ft away from you to avoid a missile, I'd love to hear it); then, she spent the next week telling everyone who would listen how awful and unnecessary the movie was.

She had no real opinion of the LGTBQ community until she became heavily involved in Church, and now two girls holding hands in a commercial results in disgust and ranting.

My wife's uncle--who used to be a pretty solid dude, questionable politics aside--literally can't go 3 minutes anymore without bringing up "transvestites in schools" in polite company. He wrote "Woke" in Sharpie on a box of Bud Light on a chartered fishing trip last weekend, and then bragged about it for 4 days.

They're broken people, drifting through life clinging to one manufactured outrage after the next. The olds, especially, need their fix after Fox and the Internet got their hooks in.

I have known in some capacity, a number of people who always have a back pocket mortal sin (swearing, don't go to church, DUI, weed, divorced) that if another person commits or has committed in the past, they go from human being to worthless garbage in the blink of an eye.  

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

My wife's uncle--who used to be a pretty solid dude, questionable politics aside--literally can't go 3 minutes anymore without bringing up "transvestites in schools" in polite company. He wrote "Woke" in Sharpie on a box of Bud Light on a chartered fishing trip last weekend, and then bragged about it for 4 days.

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

This is so fucking funny for some reason. I would have died laughing as I grabbed a woke bud light 

After downing a Bud Light or two, I would have asked him "hey, these Bud Lights, they really make you want to get your dick sucked or suck somebody else's dick, don't they?"

jack-black-tropic-thunder.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Born to Run said:

They are the loser weirdo kids from high school all grown up still hating anything popular.

These are the kids in high school who didn't get wedgies, or if they did, they weren't the kind of wedgies that left them bleeding out of their asses for a week and their pediatrician wondering if they'd be able to have kids in the future.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

These are the kids in high school who didn't get wedgies, or if they did, they weren't the kind of wedgies that left them bleeding out of their asses for a week and their pediatrician wondering if they'd be able to have kids in the future.

Oddly specific.

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

These people can seamlessly hold these thoughts simultaneously: "swearing is a horrible thing" and "maybe gay people shouldn't be allowed to exist."

...She had no real opinion of the LGTBQ community until she became heavily involved in Church, and now two girls holding hands in a commercial results in disgust and ranting.

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

They're broken people, drifting through life clinging to one manufactured outrage after the next. The olds, especially, need their fix after Fox and the Internet got their hooks in.

100% of Qanon believers, and more than a few of the hardcore MAGA types have definite mental health issues, but there's plenty of the MAGA crowd who just have shitty lives, and given that everybody wants to be the hero of their own stories, they buy into some of this bullshit. They want to be heroes and be in on The Big Secret and feel like they are in a movie starring them, by claiming knowledge that the gays are doing this or the brown folks are doing that, and they've got to split everything into "us" and "Them", and  if you don't acknowledge their bullshit, you are "one of them". It makes their dull lives a little more exciting to believe that they are in on some kind of leftist secrets.  

And yet, at the same time, most of them refuse to act on this "insider knowledge" no matter what gets said online, or what Trump posts on truth social or whatever. But they get that dopamine hit from passing the memes around and trying to tell people about this stuff and pretending that Donald Trump is on their side (and not the other way around - see, that's the great scam, not that Trump convinced them that they are on his side, but that he's on their side, textbook cult).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Kilmeade seems to be going through some things lately:

Kilmeade can be dumb as fuck, but even he sees the damage the Gaetz wing of the GQP is doing to the Republican Party as a whole.  Whether tossing McCarthy or not was some kind of Crossing of the Rubicon remains to be seen, but everything done in the aftermath of that is not helping Republicans.

I've been telling my MAGA relatives/acquaintances that if George Soros were paying off a bunch of Republicans and funding a Republican vs Republican civil war, he's getting his money's worth and then some, because they have really upped their game when it comes to looking incompetent and crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

not that this is a surprise, but it is good to continue to remind ourselves.

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-gave-jenna-ellis-platform-push-election-lies-then-mostly-ignored-her-guilty-plea

Fox gave Jenna Ellis a platform to push election lies — then mostly ignored her guilty plea

from the article:

• ox has kept its viewers in the dark about Ellis’ plea, which received extensive coverage on CNN and MSNBC. Fox News provided only about 3 minutes of coverage across 2 segments while Fox Business had not mentioned it at all, according to a Media Matters review through 3 p.m. ET.

Fox’s lack of coverage around Ellis’ guilty plea is particularly relevant given that she had used the networks’ platforms to promote election falsehoods. Ellis appeared on Fox News and its sister channel, Fox Business, more than 20 times in the weeks following the 2020 election, according to the Nexis database and Media Matters’ internal database.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

You used to hear crazy shit like that from, you know, crazy people. Now it's on the "news", and we get to hear our elderly relatives at Thanksgiving talk about how the FBI got Biden elected, because they saw it on the news.

Edited by Red Five
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

It still blows my mind that the concept of "hmm, maybe he's just an asshole and people don't like him" isn't an option for these people.  No, it's much more likely that it's a conspiracy involving thousands of deep state actors because they don't want him exposing the child sex slave dungeons and adrenochrome murder factories.

Fuck this country.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Yeah, a 70-year old dude with a felony murder conviction and a lifelong history of dropping N-bombs... he's the go-to law enforcement expert for Fox News.  

Bull Connor and Daryl Gates are dead, so I guess that's as "fair and balanced" as they can get.  

Edited by Paul Wesley