How Fox News works

retread

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If you mean the -6 and -9% then isn’t that the point of why the graphic made the thread?

well, nobody addressed it specifically, so I wasn't sure

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

From what I can tell cattle prices were down and pork/chicken were up. The market is normalizing. Faux news "the sky is falling!11!!"

I know a guy that has cattle and he has been frustrated lately about prices. Seems it will help him some. Maybe not with the drought though.

I read it the other way around, Beef is up 4% and chicken and pork are both down. But even if I have it flipped, it's hardly the metric for rampant inflation

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/28/media/jesse-watters-insurance-executives-reliable-sources/index.html

Sexual Harassment Panda/Watters is gonna be worse than Tucker in many ways. I don't think he's as intelligent and will say something truly offensive on the air that Fox will no doubt have to fire him at some point. But he's gonna be a complete shit-heel in the interim.

On a Friday morning in April, Fox News talk host Jesse Watters walked onstage to a room stuffed with hundreds of insurance executives and agents. Watters was the featured speaker at a breakfast for the Big “I” Legislative Conference, the signature annual event hosted by the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, where he was invited to participate in an interview with the organization’s retiring president, Bob Rusbuldt.

Watters — who Fox News this week promoted to the all-important 8pm hour — began his interview with Rusbuldt at the Renaissance Washington hotel as expected. The gathered audience, which included a healthy contingent of conservatives, was excited to see Watters speak. But matters quickly took a turn, according to people familiar with the matter who spoke to me on the condition of anonymity.

Watters, who has a history of making offensive remarks on Fox News, made a crude comment questioning the gender of Vice President Kamala Harris, the people said. The gross attempt at humor prompted some laughs, but also outrage.

Some executives, many of whom planned to attend a diversity and inclusion luncheon later in the day, squirmed in their seats as a wave of awkwardness washed over the audience. Others walked out of the room and conveyed to the trade association that they were appalled at the behavior exhibited by Watters.

“It was an epic meltdown afterward,” one of the people familiar with the matter told me. “The organization went into damage control.”

The chat between Watters and Rusbuldt, which continued on after the appalling remark, had immediate consequences. Rusbuldt, who was set to officially retire in August, apologized to those gathered at the diversity-focused luncheon later that day. But ultimately it was not enough to quell the outrage. He was later quietly sidelined from most duties at the insurance organization.

John Costello, the chairman of the association, condemned what transpired onstage with Watters: “The association acted quickly and decisively following the incident, and the interview session conducted at our event does not reflect the culture and values of the Big I,” Costello said in a statement.

When asked for comment on Wednesday, a Fox News spokesperson told me that Watters had “no recollection” of the events.

“In fact, the unscripted Q&A he participated in was well received with executives thanking him profusely afterward, enthusiastically taking photos, and presenting him with an award,” the network spokesperson said. “He was told it was one of the best talks they’ve ever held and never received feedback from the organization or his speaking agent after the event.”

Regardless, the circumstances surrounding the event are representative of a larger phenomena occurring in America today.

On Fox News, and in the larger right-wing media universe, the degrading comments Watters was said to have spewed onstage are par for the course. The audience, which has become increasingly desensitized to the incendiary rhetoric in recent years, eats it up.

In fact, that affection for Watters and the brand of conservatism that he represents, is borne out in the numbers. Watters is one of Fox News’ highest-rated and most visible hosts, and largely why he was promoted this week to the prime time perch previously occupied by Tucker Carlson.

Outside the Fox News bubble, however, Watters and the divisive comments that he peddles for a living are far less popular. In fact, to those outside the right-wing media bubble, questioning the gender of the first female and Black vice president is seen as downright inappropriate and utterly reprehensible. And there are consequences for those who make such remarks.

The events that transpired after Watters’ appearance at the insurance breakfast underscores that split in society. “Jesse got promoted,” the person familiar with the matter said. “Bob essentially got fired.”

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 9.59.25 AM.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

On Fox News, and in the larger right-wing media universe, the degrading comments Watters was said to have spewed onstage are par for the course. The audience, which has become increasingly desensitized to the incendiary rhetoric in recent years, eats it up.

In fact, that affection for Watters and the brand of conservatism that he represents, is borne out in the numbers. Watters is one of Fox News’ highest-rated and most visible hosts, and largely why he was promoted this week to the prime time perch previously occupied by Tucker Carlson.

Outside the Fox News bubble, however, Watters and the divisive comments that he peddles for a living are far less popular. In fact, to those outside the right-wing media bubble, questioning the gender of the first female and Black vice president is seen as downright inappropriate and utterly reprehensible. And there are consequences for those who make such remarks.

HURR DURR.  That black woman VP is actually a man!  HURR DURR.

These are the dumbest fucking deplorables.  What a country we've become.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

taking photos, and presenting him with an award,” the network spokesperson said. “

A big strapping insurance exec with hairy forearms and tears in his eyes came up to him to tell him that

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/28/media/jesse-watters-insurance-executives-reliable-sources/index.html

Sexual Harassment Panda/Watters is gonna be worse than Tucker in many ways. I don't think he's as intelligent and will say something truly offensive on the air that Fox will no doubt have to fire him at some point. But he's gonna be a complete shit-heel in the interim.

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 9.59.25 AM.png

Yep.  Just your scheduled reminder that Fox elevated a fucking PROUDLY ADMITTED STALKER AND SEXUAL PREDATOR, who did his predation while married, to its highest profile position:

Fox News host Jesse Watters made a bizarre on-air admission Monday, saying that he deflated the car tires of a 25-year-old colleague in order to be in a position where he could offer her a ride home. 

Watters, who was 39 at the time and already married, also said that the woman in question was Emma DiGiovina - who ultimately became his second wife. The two were married in December 2019. 

'When I was trying to get Emma to date me, first thing I did, let the air out of her tires,' he said with a smile last week. 

'She couldn't go anywhere, she needed a lift,' Watters said. 'I said "Hey you need a lift?" She got right into the car,' he bragged. 

After his co-hosts expressed surprise, Watters claimed that his wife was unaware of his antics to this day.

Watters then appeared to justify the trick by stating that the pair are now married.  

'It has a happy ending,' Watters declared.

Another of his colleagues then asked if he had taken the air out of other women's cars in order to get them into his own - to which he implied that he may well have done. 

'Is that the first time you did it, or did you use that before?' Jeannine Pirro inquired.

'It works like a charm!' he bragged. 

This is the voice and face of Fox.  This is who the network is, and who its viewers are.  Fucking "deplorable" is just scratching the surface.

They worship a goddamned predator who fucking BRAGS about it (well, another one -- Trump was their first god in that respect).

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/12/media/former-fox-executives-rupert-murdoch-reliable-sources/index.html

were-sorry-tony-hayward.gif

200w.gif

sorry-tony-hayward.gif

Former Fox executives say they regret helping Rupert Murdoch birth ‘disinformation machine’

By Oliver Darcy, CNN

Published 9:48 PM EDT, Wed July 12, 2023

Rupert Murdoch is shown at his annual party at Spencer House, St James' Place in London.,Thursday June 22, 2023.

Victoria Jones/PA/AP

Editor’s Note: A version of this article first appeared in the “Reliable Sources” newsletter. Sign up for the daily digest chronicling the evolving media landscape here.

CNN — 

Three former high-ranking Fox executives are blasting Rupert Murdoch for Fox News’ role spreading disinformation in the public discourse.

In a joint statement published Wednesday, the executives — Preston Padden, Ken Solomon, and Bill Reyner — expressed profound regret for their roles helping Murdoch build Fox in its early days. Padden was Fox’s chief Washington lobbyist; Solomon was the vice president of network distribution; and Reyner was the lead outside counsel.

While none of the executives worked on Fox News, the work they did on behalf of Murdoch decades ago established Fox as a national television force and helped pave the way for the birth of the right-wing channel.

“At the time of our work in the 1990’s, we all greatly admired Rupert Murdoch and his vision and bold efforts,” the trio said in their statement. “We genuinely believed that the creation of a fourth competitive force in broadcast television was in the public interest.”

“We never envisioned, and would not knowingly have enabled, the disinformation machine that, in our opinion, Fox has become,” they added.

Padden, who has recently expressed support for the Federal Communications Commission examining Murdoch’s broadcasting licenses, told me by phone on Wednesday that the group had been privately communicating to each other about Fox News, lamenting what they had indirectly helped create.

“We had all talked individually about how we wished there was a way we could say something about how we feel,” Padden said. “So I drafted something.”

The blistering assessment of Murdoch’s Fox News came on the same day that the right-wing network was sued — yet again — for defamation. Ray Epps, the Arizona man that conspiracy theorists have falsely claimed led an FBI plot to orchestrate the January 6 insurrection, alleged the network and former host Tucker Carlson ran a “years-long campaign spreading falsehoods” about him that “destroyed” his life.

It’s only the latest lawsuit Fox News has faced for advancing false election conspiracy theories after Donald Trump was defeated at the ballot box in 2020.

The network in April agreed to a historic $787.5 million settlement with Dominion Voting Systems after its high-profile hosts and guests spread lies on the air about the election technology company. In that same month, Fox News also settled an election-related lawsuit with a Venezuelan businessman who had sued the network.

More recently, Fox News settled a lawsuit with one of its former producers, Abby Grossberg, who accused her former employer of sexism and pressuring her into giving false testimony in the Dominion case. The network paid $12 million to Grossberg to settle the lawsuit, her lawyer said.

Fox News is also facing another major defamation lawsuit from voting technology company Smartmatic, which is suing the network for $2.7 billion.

Padden told me that he believes there is an “obvious connection between January 6 and Fox News,” arguing it has been “vividly illustrated by the fact” that the network has been blamed in court, with one defendant even claiming he suffered “Foxitus.”

“Apparently it is a disease you get from watching false news on Fox,” Padden quipped on the phone.

In fact, Epps all but said that he too had a case of “Foxitus.” In his lawsuit, Epps alleged that he was at the US Capitol on January 6 because he was “persuaded by the lies broadcast by Fox asserting the election had been stolen.”

“I think that something has to be done about a news organization that earns the moniker ‘Foxitus,’” Padden told me.

Padden said that the reception to their statement Wednesday had been overwhelmingly positive, with the trio receiving applause from many others who worked for Murdoch in the early years of Fox.

“Everybody shares the same frustration,” Padden said.

• Like 1

Current foxnews headline should read: “Unnamed Former FBI Agent May Confirm Unspecified Important Hunter Biden Whistleblower Details, Unnamed GOP Source Says.”

That’s quality journalism right there.

• Drool 1

8 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Oh so that's why they put "Work makes you free" over the gate.

In the year of our Lord 2023 we have Fox News hosts delicately trying to explain what they’re “uncomfortable” with the idea that black people benefited from being enslaved. This is straight uncut “don’t piss off the Lost Causers.”

The Holocaust comment manages to be even worse somehow. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’d forgotten about Megyn until people started posting about her on this thread. I might have to put people sharing her shit on ignore. 

if she wants to talk about loyalty why didn’t she sing the company line at Fox when she was harassed?  She’s a traitor by her own logic but irony is lost on people like her. 

Edited by TexasEd

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Stirring up shit 

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I like how Megyn Kelly tried to go mainstream for a bit, and then said fuck it and leaned back into the crazy. 

Okay, I'm going on a little MAGA rant for a minute spurred on by this bullshit.

For MAGA it's all performance art.  It's like they have their own old Testament book of laws, I'm thinking Numbers, where you have these checklists of irrelevant stupid shit that makes you a good "American" or "Christian" in their eyes.  I imagine the checklist has inane and insane shit in it like:

Don't kneel for the anthem, stand.  No, don't just stand there, sing. Put a flag with a blue stripe sticker on your car. Taze cops trying to stop you from getting into the Capitol. Outlaw abortion. Refuse heath care to the mothers and newborn babies. Don't be brown. Push the brown kids and pregnant moms into the razor wire. Lick orange nuts. Public schools are bad.  Giving nutjobs the tools to shoot up schools will help us close them down.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Don't kneel for the anthem, stand.  No, don't just stand there, sing. Put a flag with a blue stripe sticker on your car. Taze cops trying to stop you from getting into the Capitol. Outlaw abortion. Refuse heath care to the mothers and newborn babies. Don't be brown. Push the brown kids and pregnant moms into the razor wire. Lick orange nuts. Public schools are bad.  Giving nutjobs the tools to shoot up schools will help us close them down.

Talk shit about vaccines, for some reason. Even the ones you got (plus boosters). 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sorry, not going to desecrate the flag of the United States of America.

From my post, “For MAGA it's all performance art.”  And I agree 100%. It’s a fascist symbol like a Trump flag or Cartman with a badge. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2

From my post, “For MAGA it's all performance art.”  And I agree 100%. It’s a fascist symbol like a Trump flag or Cartman with a badge. 

Confederates would fly a black version of their flag to communicate that enemy combatants would be killed and not allowed to surrender. It’s no accident it was chosen by cops.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Stirring up shit 

She's lost most of her relevance.  To a large portion of the country she doesn't exist.  To MAGA she's a 2nd rate Candace Owens.  The fact that she was able to turn her celebrity into a giant contract and a daytime show says more about the state of TV braintrust then it does her talent and charisma. 

Water finds it's level.

She recently dropped a tweet to Apple about issues with her podcast on that platform, claimed to having one of the Top podcasts on Apple… I checked the week ending of that tweet and she was ranked 72/100, guess that’s “Top”.  I’d imagine there’s hundreds/thousands of podcasts on there. 

Spoiler

Dedicated viewers of Fox News are likely familiar with Lear Capital, a Los Angeles company that sells gold and silver coins. In recent years, the company’s ads have been a constant presence on Fox airwaves, warning viewers to protect their retirement savings from a looming “pension crisis” and “dollar collapse.”

One such ad caught the attention of Terry White, a disabled retiree from New York. In 2018, White invested $174,000 in the coins, according to a lawsuit by the New York attorney general — only to later learn that Lear charged a 33 percent commission.

Over several transactions, White, 70, lost nearly $80,000, putting an “enormous strain” on his finances, said his wife, Jeanne, who blames Fox for their predicament: “They’re negligent,” she said. A regretful White said he thought Fox “wouldn’t take a commercial like that unless it was legitimate.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/07/25/gold-ira-conservative-media/

IMG_3299.webp.b2756282a4eaca1e060d089d358b3e31.webp

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Dedicated viewers of Fox News are likely familiar with Lear Capital, a Los Angeles company that sells gold and silver coins. In recent years, the company’s ads have been a constant presence on Fox airwaves, warning viewers to protect their retirement savings from a looming “pension crisis” and “dollar collapse.”

One such ad caught the attention of Terry White, a disabled retiree from New York. In 2018, White invested $174,000 in the coins, according to a lawsuit by the New York attorney general — only to later learn that Lear charged a 33 percent commission.

Over several transactions, White, 70, lost nearly $80,000, putting an “enormous strain” on his finances, said his wife, Jeanne, who blames Fox for their predicament: “They’re negligent,” she said. A regretful White said he thought Fox “wouldn’t take a commercial like that unless it was legitimate.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/07/25/gold-ira-conservative-media/

IMG_3299.webp.b2756282a4eaca1e060d089d358b3e31.webp

The greater fool theory in action and no better place to find greater fools than Fox and other right-wing outlets.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

We could put out a “Fox News” text reply poll asking their viewers “Should Hunter Biden be impeached?” And charge $1.99 to respond.  We’d make a million dollars before anybody knew anything about that question is bullshit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, wish lying came with swifter and more severe punishment. We simply cannot continue to exist when one side just flat out lies about LITERALLY everything.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:43 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Would modern day slavery be cheaper for the person than student loans ?

I just love how transparently horrible these people are. This was like trying to defend Nazi concentration camps by pointing out that a lot of jews had been wanting to lose weight. "Just giving you the facts!" 

• Like 3

I don't watch Fox or look at their website.  However, my google news feed gives me a relatively steady diet of Fox and NY Post headlines.

I think NYP Is actually worse than Fox for disingenuous headlines.  They have had several bullshit headlines like this and on this topic.

DOJ can’t sink any lower after attempted jailing of Hunter Biden’s ex-partner Devon Archer before his testimony

https://nypost.com/2023/07/30/doj-cant-sink-any-lower-after-attempted-arrest-of-hunter-bidens-ex-partner-devon-archer/

To save you from having to look at any of this, Archer testifies to the Comer-Jordan monkey shit committee today.  Last week he lost the appeal of his criminal case.  Upon receiving the mandate from the court of appeals, which sends the case back to the trial court, DOJ sent a letter to the trial date asking the judge to set a "report date" for Archer to go to prison.  Standard shit.  The report date is going to be weeks off, not today.

This is an utter load of shit.  The monkey shit slingers are pretending the government is trying to put Archer in prison today so he can't testify.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Rage+1 1