2019 MLB thread

spystud13

The FDLE issued a statement saying it began its investigation into Vazquez in August after obtaining information that the pitcher reportedly had a sexual relationship with a 13-year-old girl in Lee County, Florida. The victim, now 15, allegedly was continuing to have a relationship with Vazquez via text message and received a video from him in July in which he is shown performing a sex act, according to the police statement.

Welp, see ya. 

52 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I still don’t understand how they calculate the run values (I majored in finance so I’m actually not a dumbass on this matter). And just because someone puts pictures & numbers together doesn’t mean their information is useful. 

You know how they benchmark portfolio returns to the S&P500 (or whatever?)  Pretty much the same concept.  I think they use linear weights for run values for each event (ie, HR = 1.3 runs, outs = -.26 runs, etc.), and then they record all the league outcomes for pitches in the Heart of the plate and calculate the average run value.  So if there are 100 non-Mathis pitches in the middle of the plate and every one result in a homer, that's 130 runs, or 1.3 runs average per pitch.  Then you look at what Mathis has done.  Let's say he's seen 10 pitches in that zone, homered once and K'd 9 times.  His value would be 1*1.3 + 9*-.26 = -2.21 runs or -.221 runs/pitch.  Take the Mathis average - league average and multiply by the number of events, and you've got your answer: (-.221 - 1.3)* 10 pitches = Mathis is worth -15 runs on pitches in the Heart that he swings at.  Do the same thing for pitches not swung at, and repeat for the other zones.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You know how they benchmark portfolio returns to the S&P500 (or whatever?)  Pretty much the same concept.  I think they use linear weights for run values for each event (ie, HR = 1.3 runs, outs = -.26 runs, etc.), and then they record all the league outcomes for pitches in the Heart of the plate and calculate the average run value.  So if there are 100 non-Mathis pitches in the middle of the plate and every one result in a homer, that's 130 runs, or 1.3 runs average per pitch.  Then you look at what Mathis has done.  Let's say he's seen 10 pitches in that zone, homered once and K'd 9 times.  His value would be 1*1.3 + 9*-.26 = -2.21 runs or -.221 runs/pitch.  Take the Mathis average - league average and multiply by the number of events, and you've got your answer: (-.221 - 1.3)* 10 pitches = Mathis is worth -15 runs on pitches in the Heart that he swings at.  Do the same thing for pitches not swung at, and repeat for the other zones.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

I still don’t understand how they calculate the run values (I majored in finance so I’m actually not a dumbass on this matter). And just because someone puts pictures & numbers together doesn’t mean their information is useful. 

"everything that i don't understand is stupid." - Helbious 

• Like 1

Sucks to see CC leave the game so early, but man he was one of my favorite pitchers to watch. I'm a lefty and pitched when I was younger so I love watching a great Southpaw pitch. 

Still glad to have been able to be here tonight to see his last start. He had a helluva run. I will definitely show up when he goes to Cooperstown. Just seems like a damn good guy from everything I have ever read or seen about him.