2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

another article looking at the pitching changes from Sanchez and Biagini

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/8/8/20757458/aaron-sanchez-and-joe-biagini-trade-deadline-follow-up-what-immediate-changes-did-the-astros-make-to

The Astros seem to have every pitcher stop throwing the 2 seamer and throw more 4 seamers and curves because batters have more success against the 2 seamer. Why do they have more success exactly? Does the 4 seamer just better compliment the curve? Are there any Astros pitchers that still use the 2 seamer with success?

It's only effective if it has good movement and most guys don't get it to do that.  The astros have come to believe that a 4 seam fastball's extra velocity combined with the way it appears to rise when thrown up in the zone is more effective now.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It has nothing to do with this year...it is about 2020. It doesn't make sense to stick Tucker in AAA for a third straight year. It can become detrimental to his development. He's as ready as he's going to be now. 

Reddick is a completely average player at this point - he's actually been a below-average hitter this year (90 wRC+), and was exactly average last year (99 wRC+). If Tucker isn't better than 2019 Josh Reddick, he'll be a massive disappointment. Factor in the respective salaries and Reddick is a worse value even if their production was exactly the same. 

Don’t care about “value.”   Not my money.  Reddick is a sunk cost anyway.    

People were discussing Tucker over Reddick on the playoff roster THIS year.   That’s just nuts IMHO.  

I wont complain if they trade him in the off-season to make room for Tucker and offload salary, though.  

• Like 2

Some of you are way overstating Reddick's 2019 performance.  I like him in terms of chemistry and defense, but in terms of production, he is our worst starter.  0.8 WAR is not good for an everyday player.

Yes, he had a key hit against Boston in 2017 in a series we were going to win as the  superior team, but he has had 155 postseason ABs and has been terrible (219/280/297). 

He started this season well, but his OPS splits by month are:

Hopefully, he gets hot again late in the year, like he was in April.  If Reddick continues to suck and Tucker is hot in September, they will both make the playoff roster, and Tucker may even play some.

2 minutes ago, runthebone said:

He started this season well, but his OPS splits by month are:

Hopefully, he gets hot again late in the year, like he was in April.  If Reddick continues to suck and Tucker is hot in September, they will both make the playoff roster, and Tucker may even play some.

Cool... now do Tucker's OPS splits by month for his MLB tenure.

• Fuck You 2

Y'all reminiscing about the 18 inning game with the Braves reminds me of my greatest moment in Astros fandom.

30 years ago in June I was home from Austin for the summer. Me and 2 buds watched some of the Astros/Dodgers game before going out. Went to the daiquiri factory/gay. When we left and flipped on the radio they were still playing. Being of sound mind we hatched the plan of driving straight to the Dome.

Upon arrival there were no parking attendants, so we parked for free. No ticket takers, so we walked in and sat in the field level 3 rows back from the Astros dugout. Watched 9 innings of baseball for free. Innings 14-22 inclusive. Slowly sobered up as the taps had long been shut off, but it was great time and we won.

https://www.truebluela.com/2014/6/3/5776078/dodgers-astros-22-innings-1989

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Y'all reminiscing about the 18 inning game with the Braves reminds me of my greatest moment in Astros fandom.

30 years ago in June I was home from Austin for the summer. Me and 2 buds watched some of the Astros/Dodgers game before going out. Went to the daiquiri factory/gay. When we left and flipped on the radio they were still playing. Being of sound mind we hatched the plan of driving straight to the Dome.

Upon arrival there were no parking attendants, so we parked for free. No ticket takers, so we walked in and sat in the field level 3 rows back from the Astros dugout. Watched 9 innings of baseball for free. Innings 14-22 inclusive. Slowly sobered up as the taps had long been shut off, but it was great time and we won.

I was there.  Me and my Dad went to the game the next day too.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

That's an awesome story--I remember Fernando playing 1B.

Just now, TonyTexas said:

Assuming 11 pitchers and no Stubbs, who else makes the roster besides Straw? There’s really no good infielder options . That’s why I think Tucker is a real possibility.

Maybe in the ALDS, but they’ll carry 12 pitchers in the 7 game series. At least they have in the past.

circular argument aside, i don't see any reason why they won't bring tucker up in sept and give him an "extended" look (~60ab).  if he's raking, he could get a crack at the postseason roster.  if he looks like he did last year, then he obviously needs more seasoning/offseason work/whatever.

we already know exactly who reddick is.  he's totally fucking fine as a 9 hole hitter on a team that wins 11 postseason games.

tucker/reddick is not an either/or scenario for the 2019 playoffs.  straw/diaz/maldonado have clear purpose on our roster.  after that, who knows.  at this point, i'd rather roll the dice on needing a lefty bat off the bench than someone deep in the pen like mchugh or devo.  sanchez and peacock give you plenty of flexibility (not to mention miley) for guys that may need to go more than an inning.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

All 3 recent ALDS, they’ve carried 11 pitchers. Both ALCS been 12. My question remains. Who’s the other addition besides Straw

I agree with you. I’d say the most likely candidate is Tucker (assuming he looks decent in September) just to have another bat on the bench. Even if you’re not high on Tucker, pretty much every other candidate has been traded away in the last year (Davis, White, Kemp, etc.)

2 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Don’t care about “value.”   Not my money.  Reddick is a sunk cost anyway.    

People were discussing Tucker over Reddick on the playoff roster THIS year.   That’s just nuts IMHO.  

I wont complain if they trade him in the off-season to make room for Tucker and offload salary, though.  

Yeah I agree about this year/playoffs. I mean after the season/2020. 

Lunhow cares very much about value. It's the lens through which every move the club makes is assessed. 

57 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

circular argument aside, i don't see any reason why they won't bring tucker up in sept and give him an "extended" look (~60ab).  if he's raking, he could get a crack at the postseason roster.  if he looks like he did last year, then he obviously needs more seasoning/offseason work/whatever.

we already know exactly who reddick is.  he's totally fucking fine as a 9 hole hitter on a team that wins 11 postseason games.

tucker/reddick is not an either/or scenario for the 2019 playoffs.  straw/diaz/maldonado have clear purpose on our roster.  after that, who knows.  at this point, i'd rather roll the dice on needing a lefty bat off the bench than someone deep in the pen like mchugh or devo.  sanchez and peacock give you plenty of flexibility (not to mention miley) for guys that may need to go more than an inning.

Solid take. 

My love/hate affair with Reddick has had more turns than LeMans. About the time I decide he's too worthless to even play for us in rookie ball, he gets some clutch hit or robs some opposing hitter of extra bases in a pivotal moment. Then I go back to being OK with him...until he goes back on another bad run, which usually doesn't take very long. Perplexing player, but I guess that's just who he is.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

No, he's had an insignificantly small number of at bats

I consider 47 playoff games and 170 plate appearances a decent sample size.  I mean, he has played in 10 playoff series now.  That's a lot more than most.  He is batting .219 with only 6 extra base hits and a .280 OBP in those 170 plate appearances.

Edited by Johnny Sack

29 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Solid take. 

My love/hate affair with Reddick has had more turns than LeMans. About the time I decide he's too worthless to even play for us in rookie ball, he gets some clutch hit or robs some opposing hitter of extra bases in a pivotal moment. Then I go back to being OK with him...until he goes back on another bad run, which usually doesn't take very long. Perplexing player, but I guess that's just who he is.

Somehow, he's done enough on the upside to demand/receive a $13MM annual salary.  Crazy economics in pro sports.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I consider 47 playoff games and 170 plate appearances a decent sample size.  I mean, he has played in 10 playoff series now.  That's a lot more than most.  He is batting .219 with only 6 extra base hits and a .280 OBP in those 170 plate appearances.

for some reason i thought he meant to quote/respond to fudge nuggets "ok now do tucker" or whatever.  maybe i'm wrong.

38 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Solid take. 

it's so tough right now to determine who will and won't be valuable in the playoffs.

the red sox won last year largely on the backs of jackie bradley, jr, nate eovaldi, and steve pearce.

you never fucking know.

It is a large sample size for the playoffs. It’s an insignificant one in the grand scheme of things. Which of those two perspectives you give more weight to depends largely on if you view being “clutch” as a thing rather than just attributable to good/bad luck that would normalize with more at bats.

Edited by formermav43

32 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

It is a large sample size for the playoffs. It’s an insignificant one in the grand scheme of things. Which of those two perspectives you give more weight to depends largely on if you view being “clutch” as a thing rather than just attributable to good/bad luck that would normalize with more at bats.

I attribute it to a good sample size against good pitching.  I doubt he does much better against good pitching in this playoff race either.  If he tweaked a hammy, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings.