2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

What, is that a real possibility?  Getting the broadcast rights away from AT&T is the only way I will ever get the Astros on Dish.

Yes, AT&T wants to sell their RSNs. Sinclair bought up the Fox RSNs from Disney and could buy AT&T's as well. I would think the Astros and Rockets would be a major add for Sinclair considering they are going to be good teams for the next 5+ years.

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

FYI, they’ll only have to play two days in a row 

I think I read that this takes away a travel day so there will be games Thursday - Sunday, if needed. 

Edited, and self neg,  for me being slow and not catching on to the subtleties of your post. Doh. 

Edited by Mo Horn

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Good news for us... Grienke tomorrow on full rest, Verlander on Friday on full rest. Bad news for us, their pen, which has been used a lot gets a day off and they don't have to go with a bullpen game and can come back with Tanaka. 

Every game is a bullpen game for them. Tanaka will likely go 4-6 IP. Plus with no more days off in this series, the Yankee bullpen is going to have to pitch in 4 straight days. The rain out today is much better for the Astros than the Yankees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Altuve’s contract jumps up 19.5 mil to 29 million hit

Verlander jumps up 5 million from 28 to 33 million

Greinke goes from a 4.5 mil hit to a 24.5 hit.

Bergman goes from a 2.5 mill hit to a 12.67 mil hit 

So for 4 players, last year that cost 54.5 million will now cost 99.2 million.

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I think the rotation should be Greinke-Urquidy-JV-Cole regardless of any games' outcome.. JV should not pitch game 5. 

Why not? He'll be on full rest. If we're tied 2-2 you don't want to go down 3-2. If we're up 3-1, JV can close it out and you have Cole for game 1 of the WS. Dont try anything cute. Start your best guys. 

• Like 4

‪Tonight’s Game 4 of the ALCS has been postponed due to inclement weather conditions. The game has been rescheduled for Friday with a 6:08pm CT first pitch. ‬

‪Additionally, Hinch announced his starters.‬
‪Game 4: Zack Greinke‬
‪Game 5: Justin Verlander ‬

Image may contain: hat

Edited by mbtex

15 minutes ago, mbtex said:

‪Tonight’s Game 4 of the ALCS has been postponed due to inclement weather conditions. The game has been rescheduled for Friday with a 6:08pm CT first pitch. ‬

‪Additionally, Hinch announced his starters.‬
‪Game 4: Zack Greinke‬
‪Game 5: Justin Verlander ‬

Image may contain: hat

Friday?

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Idgaf about the costs of resigning proven players.

other franchises make it happen.  Pay the tax and do it.  Houston ain’t poor.  They get support like @ m therfucker from the fans.

I don’t want to hear that they cannot afford it. It’# not freaking Miami.

They’re paying plenty of guys, it’s disingenuous to act like they’re not spending money. Throwing it around uncritically is how you end up like the Tigers. Or the Angels.

I prefer the Astros to be smarter than everyone else. Remember when Cole was a career underachiever? I do. Houston made him. They can do it again and let someone else take the risk of signing a pitcher for 7 years.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

They’re paying plenty of guys, it’s disingenuous to act like they’re not spending money. Throwing it around uncritically is how you end up like the Tigers. Or the Angels.

I prefer the Astros to be smarter than everyone else. Remember when Cole was a career underachiever? I do. Houston made him. They can do it again and let someone else take the risk of signing a pitcher for 7 years.

Agreed, but Cole has established himself as an elite pitcher, who almost certainly has runway left in his career.

I’m not talking about throwing money at winning, as that most certainly has not been Astros’ approach.  It is however, an investment in  playmaking/ difference makers.

Greinke in Game 4 and Verlander in Game 5 also sets them up to pitch WS Game 1 & 2 on normal rest.  Hypothetically.

Right
I’m still smh at those on here last night arguing to keep the plan and throw Urquidy in game 4.
And/or hold JV back to game 6 so we could come at them with JV/Cole in 6 and 7.

Ok, I’m done

39 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Agreed, but Cole has established himself as an elite pitcher, who almost certainly has runway left in his career.

I’m not talking about throwing money at winning, as that most certainly has not been Astros’ approach.  It is however, an investment in  playmaking/ difference makers.

But they have consistently invested like that now. Altuve, Bregman, extension for Verlander, trading for Greinke as a hedge against losing Cole. 

I agree Cole probably has several good years left, but he’s likely going to want more years than Houston will even consider. They flat aren’t going to sign a pitcher to a 5-7 year deal given all their uncertainty. Hitters have a semi-predictable aging curve; pitchers tend to just fall off a cliff, and you don’t know it’s coming till it happens. Cole could be Verlander, and be a dominant fire baller at 36. He could be Greinke, a guy with great stuff who reinvents himself as a control pitcher as he ages. Or he could be Felix Hernandez, who looked awesome at 28 and washed up by 31. I think if they could resign him for 2-3 years they would, but they don’t want to commit to any pitcher for that long.

More importantly, I’ve seen them find enough guys under the radar and refine them now to be confident that they’ll be fine, better than fine if the young guys progress like they plan. This year was a perfect storm against that, with Whitley’s issues, Martin’s injury, James injury in spring that took him out of the rotation. But next year you’ll have:

Verlander, Greinke, McCullers as your top 3-thats a fine start. Add in whoever they’ll sign for a 4 plus the young guys battling for the 5 spot, with plenty of promising candidates...that’s the potential for a great rotation, particularly if Whitley is what they expected him to be this year.  It’s fun as a fan to see this level of dominance, but big picture, they’re gonna be fine.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 3

Resigning Cole is as much about not facing him in the playoffs as it is about wanting to maximize the number of WS rings you can get with him on the team. They didn't trade for Greinke thinking about him replacing Cole next year. They traded for him to do everything to win a ring this year with this group of players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They didn't trade for Greinke thinking about him replacing Cole next year. They traded for him to do everything to win a ring this year with this group of players.

They absolutely were thinking of both reasons.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Resigning Cole is as much about not facing him in the playoffs as it is about wanting to maximize the number of WS rings you can get with him on the team. They didn't trade for Greinke thinking about him replacing Cole next year. They traded for him to do everything to win a ring this year with this group of players.

Its both.

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Grienke was fine last game. 6 IP and 3 runs SHOULD deliver a win. 

3 runs in 6 innings in the playoffs is terrible. It didn't really matter since the bats were shutout but he was definitely not fine in the last game. Greinke has the 2nd highest ERA for any starting pitcher in the post season and worst ERA for any pitcher with at least 3 innings pitched in the post season. 

Dude needs to step up.

4 minutes ago, Pasken said:

3 runs in 6 innings in the playoffs is terrible. It didn't really matter since the bats were shutout but he was definitely not fine in the last game. Greinke has the 2nd highest ERA for any starting pitcher in the post season and worst ERA for any pitcher with at least 3 innings pitched in the post season. 

for a sp3 behind cole and jv, it's exactly what we need out of him.  it was 2 swings.  he didn't walk anyone.  he gave up 7 hits in 6ip (2 homers).

it's not up to his standards or salary, but it's certainly not "terrible".

we're gonna have to start hitting, stop leaving so many guys on base, and start scoring some fucking runs, or it won't matter.  we need to win a game where jv/cole doesn't start, and to do that, we need to score 4-6 runs. (i understand technically we don't need to, but we need to).

• Like 4