2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Congrats Astros. One win away from WS. This is the greatest Texas sports team I’ve seen in my life—in any sport. I hope JV ends it today. Good luck.

As far as sustained winning, they are definitely one of the best.  The 90’s Cowboys are in the conversation (gag).   But if you are talking about single greatest seasons, VY and the ‘05 Longhorns would like a word.  

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Steve Phillips on Sirius XM MLB Radio this morning adamantly insists that the Yankees will win this series because they'll beat Verlander tonight at Yankee Stadium, then dominate a bullpen game in Houston and lay off Cole to work traffic and hit a big long ball to beat us in game 7.

Must be an order on high from his bosses to get callers into the show because even China won't troll that one.

This is delicious.

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Please tell me that Steve Phillips had arod or John Smoltz call in to back him up ?

because according tk Smoltzy, there are plenty of ways a team can come back from 3-1 !

85% of championship series teams up 3-1 go on to advance, but yeah the Yankees just need to get back to being the Yankees.....

/jenniferlawrenceok.gif

Steve Phillips on Sirius XM MLB Radio this morning adamantly insists that the Yankees will win this series because they'll beat Verlander tonight at Yankee Stadium, then dominate a bullpen game in Houston and lay off Cole to work traffic and hit a big long ball to beat us in game 7.
Must be an order on high from his bosses to get callers into the show because even China won't troll that one.

And it worked... it got you to talk about it.

I heard him say that too...repeatedly. After the 2nd time...that’s all the MLB radio I’ll be listening to for a while

44 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

As far as sustained winning, they are definitely one of the best.  The 90’s Cowboys are in the conversation (gag).   But if you are talking about single greatest seasons, VY and the ‘05 Longhorns would like a word.  

9 consecutive playoff appearances seems a little more special than it might have at the time it occurred.

Hard to believe Tom and Roger are ancient history/ borderline forgotten to some folks.

And it worked... it got you to talk about it.

I heard him say that too...repeatedly. After the 2nd time...that’s all the MLB radio I’ll be listening to for a while
Yeah I was listening as well but changed stations after the second time. There was one realistic NY 'er that called in and basically said he was an idiot.
Unfortunately there wasn't any good baseball radio on the drive in so I switched to Bucky and Erin

On 10/10/2019 at 9:39 PM, Helobious said:

Picked the Yankees in 4. My dream ideal scenario is Yankees in 5, with lone loss being a perfect game by Cole. Really want it driven home to Cashman & the Steinbros how stupid it is to penny-pinch when you have more money than anyone. They need to get Cole in the offseason. 

On 10/14/2019 at 12:12 AM, Helobious said:

That should be the series, Astros in 5 or 6. I’ve seen all I needed to see. 

Peak Helo is peak. Hopefully we can deliver on the final promise tonight

I've been here in Atlanta since before Smoltz arrived. While he's always been an idiot, what's brought on this lovefest he has going with the Yankees? It's been so far over the top I can't believe the national media (such as they are) aren't roasting Fox for the blatant homerism we're hearing out of the booth.

Guess if the Astros advance, next week he'll be pimping the Nats hard.  

12 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I want to demoralize these fucksticks and their whole fucking fanbase. Fuck every single yankee and yankees fan that has every walked planet earth.

I want it empty by the 9th except for the Astros fans 

• Like 2

I've been here in Atlanta since before Smoltz arrived. While he's always been an idiot, what's brought on this lovefest he has going with the Yankees? It's been so far over the top I can't believe the national media (such as they are) aren't roasting Fox for the blatant homerism we're hearing out of the booth.

Smoltz is cordially invited to lick my post-Taco Bell meal midsummer swamp ass.
Fucking hated him with the Braves, hate him now, will hate him when he’s a feeble old man.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I want to demoralize these fucksticks and their whole fucking fanbase. Fuck every single yankee and yankees fan that has every walked planet earth.

Many of them are the dregs of the Earth but over the years I have partied my ass off with many a good Yankee fan at Stan's they do in fact exist.

• Like 1

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

the mlb network offices are in nyc, and i feel like there's just an overall in-house yankee fanbase there, and a lot of them find a hard time hiding their bias (i'm talking about analysts, not former mlb players).  the first time i noticed it with smoltz was when the stros played the yankees in the regular season in 2017, and i think he and vasgersian were on the call on fox, and they just couldn't stop talking about aaron judge the entire game.  i must've heard the word "majestic" about 6x.

if i recall correctly, judge didn't even play that day, and the astros won.

i don't know if it's just an internal - "hey, if the yankees finally get back to the world series, atmosphere will be nuts and ratings will be crazy" attitude that shows through while they're commenting, and they can't help themselves from getting caught up in it.  there is a general attitude of "what do the yankees need to do to hit, to score, to win the game, win the series".  it's all from the perspective of a yankee fan, and when you're watching, it's hard to miss.  i don't think it's intentional or malicious, but it's certainly noticeable. 

as for mlb or mlbn or anyone who works there - i don't think i've seen anything more egregious than last year during the alds round, when the official mlb twitter was like, "red sox vs yankees tonight, yay our two favorite teams!"  it was almost comical.

before everyone starts sizing their rings, the Nats are f'n hot right now and remind me of the TB squad which was primed for an upset.  Of course this series ain't over/ Yogi

That’s sooo 3 days ago...and they get to sit around for another 3 before actually showing up to a ballpark to play real baseball.
Scherzer will have gone 9 days between starts
If Strasburg goes in game 2, he’ll have gone 8 days between starts
Corbin in game 3 = 9 days
Sanchez in game 4 = a full two weeks

I wouldn’t be surprised at a repeat of 2007... Rockies swept the NLCS for their first World Series appearance.
Red Sox win a 7 game dogfight in the ALCS and then proceed to sweep the Rockies in the WS.
I just hope we finish the job tonight... none of that 7 game ALCS stuff.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't think i've seen anything more egregious than last year during the alds round, when the official mlb twitter was like, "red sox vs yankees tonight, yay our two favorite teams!"  it was almost comical.

It really is absurd. Those teams could each be playing .360 ball in late September and they'd get every primetime national telecast, regardless of how many actual playoff contenders were facing off. 

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

That’s sooo 3 days ago...and they get to sit around for another 3 before actually showing up to a ballpark to play real baseball.
Scherzer will have gone 9 days between starts
If Strasburg goes in game 2, he’ll have gone 8 days between starts
Corbin in game 3 = 9 days
Sanchez in game 4 = a full two weeks

I wouldn’t be surprised at a repeat of 2007... Rockies swept the NLCS for their first World Series appearance.
Red Sox win a 7 game dogfight in the ALCS and then proceed to sweep the Rockies in the WS.
I just hope we finish the job tonight... none of that 7 game ALCS stuff.

all that rest is good for pitchers. Nats are on fire, give respect.

It really is absurd. Those teams could each be playing .360 ball in late September and they'd get every primetime national telecast, regardless of how many actual playoff contenders were facing off. 

Who gives a shit.
As long as, come late October, they are at home and the Astros are still playing, let them have at it.

13 minutes ago, WBT said:

fresh meat

Probably splitting hairs, but fuck that.

Your roster is your roster. They picked CC for his savvy and experience.  Durability is part of the risk.

Otherwise, why go through the drill of having a fucking PO roster?

Edited by Iceman