2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

42 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Is their bullpen that much better than ours?  Osuna, Presley and Harris are pretty fucking good.  And Joe Smith was brought in mainly to fuck with the Yankees righties.  

top to bottom, probably. but this is a playoff series and we’ll likely turn to the same 3-4 guys for all high leverage situations, especially since our starters can actually get into (and finish) the 6th inning. 

i’d happily put those top 3 + joe against their big 4. they have an advantage, but it’s small. our sp edge is not small. all our big relievers have whips hovering in the 0.85-0.90 range. dirty. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Dodgers bullpen fell apart in the WS in 17. They don’t want the pitchers to go through the lineup 3 times, but seeing the same pitchers in each game can have the same effect. 

That was also because Dave Roberts is a crazy person. There is no way in hell that Boone repeats those mistakes of sending guys out there every single game including all three in a row in the Bronx.  That was abject stupidity

9 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

So fucking dumb...  Every year he has gotta go fuck up the ALCS roster because he thinks he is cute and knows better.

This take is dumb. I’d have Tucker up too, but it’s not like this is out of the blue-Diaz was brought in to play the Marwin role. You might remember him as the primary LF in the 2017 playoffs. You knew they’d add a other reliever and an OF would go. Not gonna be Marisnick. Not gonna be Straw with his speed. In fact, the “cute” move would be Tucker over Reddick, the multi-year starter. This is more like the obvious move anyone should have seen coming.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 2

I don’t like Welke behind the plate Saturday.

He’s known for a tight zone.

A tight strike zone and a starter that can’t overpower hitters against a team that finished just shy of the all time record for HRs in a season is not a recipe for success (at least the postseason ball is dead)?

FWIW, Welke was the guy behind the plate when Machado got tossed earlier in the year and led to the most absurd umpire tweet of all time:

He didn't get enough playing time to get adjusted. I guess you must have really liked Reddicks bat too which added a whole lot of nothing.

Sogard adjusted to the best pitcher in baseball pretty quickly last night.

An outfield of Diaz, Springer, Brantley is way more appealing than Reddick or Tucker in RF.

41 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Interesting. Looks  like Tucker is going to be watching from the stands

I really hope we don't see Diaz in the OF with Marisnick on the bench. He is a better hitter, but Marisnick is an elite CF defender. Given the lineup's 1-7, I'd rather significantly upgrade the defense than marginally upgrade the offense. 

• Like 3

Reddick and Tucker brought nothing to the plate in the Alcs. One stays, one goes so keep the better glove. Reddick at least struck out like a mlb player. tucker looked like a hs kid up there, just swinging like a clueless kid. I have faith that tucker Will be better next year. 

I agree with marisnick seeing more playing time of Reddick doesn’t wake up 

Edited by tx 3 putt

33 minutes ago, Cooder said:

Sogard adjusted to the best pitcher in baseball pretty quickly last night.

An outfield of Diaz, Springer, Brantley is way more appealing than Reddick or Tucker in RF.

Sogard didn’t adjust.  He guessed right on a challenge fastball immediately after the Astros plated four.  

He looked lost the rest of the night. 

1 hour ago, mycox said:

Brantley in RF scares me. He doesn't make many errors, but he has horrible range and below average arm.

The only "scared" you should feel when it comes to the 2019 Houston Astros is being an opposing hitter with Coleander on the mound. 

GTFO with that silly talk. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Cash showed the Yankees how to beat the Astros.

Yeah, by having 10 great to elite arms ready to go.  Yankees don't have that this year, but they'll probably sign half the Rays roster in the offseason for more than the Rays can afford.

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

But Cash didn’t beat the Astros. 

And there is still this.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

From a pure enjoyment perspective, it WOULD be awesome to have it open tonight with temps in the 60s. But the noise with the roof closed is too much of an advantage to just give away like that.

I don't think it makes much difference