This is what a black hole looks like

Mojo Hand

19 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Well, to be that guy, that's what the black hole looked like 26,000 years ago.

But who's counting.

Well, to be that guy, it's 26,000 Light Years to the center of OUR galaxy. While a comparable black hole may be at the center of our galaxy, this image is not it. It is at the center of another galaxy. We can't see the center of our own galaxy due to the intervening dust clouds.

The black hole as pictured is estimated to be some 55 million Light Years away, so the image is what it looked like about 55 million years ago.

Pretty cool, eh?

• Like 1

One of the most fascinating videos on this subject involves the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy. Known as Sagittarius A*, scientists have been observing the movements of stars and other objects caught in its gravity well for over two decades.

The video below contains what I believe are time-lapse images (at about the 1-minute mark) that, when displayed in sequence, demonstrate stars orbiting an invisible mass. Later (at the 2-minute mark), there's an animation that features the plotted orbits of these stars.

Never ceases to amaze me.  Cue the Vangelis, Carl.

9 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Well, to be that guy, it's 26,000 Light Years to the center of OUR galaxy. While a comparable black hole may be at the center of our galaxy, this image is not it. It is at the center of another galaxy. We can't see the center of our own galaxy due to the intervening dust clouds.

They are working on developing the pictures for Sagittarius A* (super black hole at the center of the Milky Way). But the rotation is about 1000x faster, so it takes a lot more computational power to the put the pieces together. 

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

They are working on developing the pictures for Sagittarius A* (super black hole at the center of the Milky Way). But the rotation is about 1000x faster, so it takes a lot more computational power to the put the pieces together. 

Walgreens usually turns around my digital files in a couple of hours.  Puts em on nice photo paper and everything.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

The black hole as pictured is estimated to be some 55 million Light Years away, so the image is what it looked like about 55 million years ago.

Pretty cool, eh?

You're right, I skimmed the NYT article about it and got the number wrong. That's what I get for trying to be that guy.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Pretty cool, eh?

No, it's quite aggravating.

but yes, it is pretty damn mind bottling 

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

Well shit. I hope it doesn't envelope the Earth within those 55 million years. We'd really be in for a surprise. 

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Could we switch to a less offensive term, like perhaps 'Baby Arm'?

Back story:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-city-hall/2008/07/07/dallas-county-meeting-turns-ra

He understands the "wikipedia and astrological" terms here.

Yes.  Black holes have long been a focal point in astrology. 

And wikipedia.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Quite the spinner, eh. 

21 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My take away from this is that Bert has a big, dark asshole that sucks in everything.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

From the orientation of the thumbs, it’s apparent that this photo is upside down. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Meant to quote RJ

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I may be in the minority, but her wicked intelligence and contribution toward this significant achievement transforms an otherwise "meh" woman into someone who seems pretty fucking hot to me.

I'm pretty sure that in her circles she is a 15/10 even before all that other stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm pretty sure that in her circles she is a 15/10 even before all that other stuff. 

Whoa whoa whoa... we need Derka to apply his advanced algorithm before we can assign this woman a valid number on the hotness scale.

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

I may be in the minority, but her wicked intelligence and contribution toward this significant achievement transforms an otherwise "meh" woman into someone who seems pretty fucking hot to me.

what if you discover she had a laugh like this