Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well to be fair sandal traffic and donkey carts on 6" thick granite cobbles aren't the same thing as  2,000 HP traffic on a maybe 4" asphalt road way affected by temperature.

It's the soil (black clay).

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

but yet you don't think it should be rebuilt?

Of course it should. I just think billionaires could do better donating to other non profit organizations. Take Bill Gates for example. 

I don't know. For all I know these guys already do donate to another organizations. Never mind, probably best for a different thread. 

I don't know if this has already been posted, but I just found this site
(I'm going to wish I never found this because it looks like an awesome timewaster, and I do have some work to do)

It has 360° panoramas of many historical sites (maybe a catalog of World Heritage sites)
http://cuicui.be/

Here is the link to Notre Dame (click the arrow in the photo to go to various locations inside and outside of the cathedral)
http://cuicui.be/france-notre-dame-de-paris/

Orlando Sentinel:

The Mouse is joining in the outpouring of support to rebuild the Notre Dame Cathedral in the aftermath of a devastating fire.

The Walt Disney Co. announced Wednesday it will donate $5 million to the cause.

“Notre Dame is a beacon of hope and beauty that has defined the heart of Paris and the soul of France for centuries, inspiring awe and reverence for its art and architecture and for its enduring place in human history,” the company’s CEO Bob Iger said in a statement.

The Associated Press reported nearly $1 billion has been raised from “ordinary worshippers” to “high-powered magnates around the world” to reconstruct the beloved cathedral.

So the question is:  

Is this a slavish historical restoration or do they re build using modern technology, materials, and re interpretive design concepts  ?  I'm not really sure I wanna see a Disneyesque recreation. I want to know what's original/old and what's post fire.

The main stone structure seems to have escaped structural failure, but I'm betting the heat has caused undiscovered issues.  What do they do with the roof ?  The long span timbers, and shaped bents needed on that roof aren't just laying around. Where does one source the acres of timber you'd need to reconstruct just the complex roof.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So the question is:  

Is this a slavish historical restoration or do they re build using modern technology, materials, and re interpretive design concepts  ?  I'm not really sure I wanna see a Disneyesque recreation. I want to know what's original/old and what's post fire.

The main stone structure seems to have escaped structural failure, but I'm betting the heat has caused undiscovered issues.  What do they do with the roof ?  The long span timbers, and shaped bents needed on that roof aren't just laying around. Where does one source the acres of timber you'd need to reconstruct just the complex roof.

71Vql9LDqsL._RI_.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So the question is:  

They've announced an international competition for the design of a new spire. 

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep.  Glad to hear it, I think it should be more than just that though.  

I'll be looking into the competition guidelines.

You know this means that if you decide to join the design competition, you're now obligated to show it to us here on surly.

Just now, bolverk said:

You know this means that if you decide to join the design competition, you're now obligated to show it to us here on surly.

It needs to be something classically French.  A slender Gauloise, with an orange light at the tip?  A statue of a striking transit worker?  A dropped rifle?

• Like 1