Turns Out E-Scooters Might Be The End of Society

Doc Reeves

On 6/4/2019 at 6:57 PM, BurntEyes said:

Nashville is apparently seriously considering sending these fucking micro-roach coaches into the world of the Dodo bird. 

They have already painted "corrals" where they are supposed to be parked which everyone knows won't be used.

I await the day the bans start as it is going to domino fast as fuck.

The things are an eyesore and nuisance clogging up sidewalks and roads.  Every one left outside of a designated parking area should be subject to confiscation with a $100 ransom.  Or just thrown into the river.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

There was a video of some clown, and his wife, scootering down a major road in Nashville with.. wait for it...

An infant in a "baby backpack" (whatever they are really called) on his back 

Edited by retread

22 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So... what prevents somebody with a truck from driving around and picking up a bunch of those pieces of shit and taking off with them? Asking for a friend

I always wondered. I’m sure they aren’t cheap to buy. Gotta run all around town collecting them to charge. Normal wear and tear adds up.  For what, a few bucks a day profit?  Maybe it’s more than I think, but it seems like theft and vandalism would be huge. I suspect the deterrent is a gps beacon but like anything else, if a thief wants one the GPS could be defeated in minutes. 

There has to be some kind of scam going on, like the city is funding the cost of buying the retarded scooters or something like that. I can’t picture how that kind of business would make any economic sense without somebody else footing the bill.

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They probably have no insurance and will declare bankruptcy at the first lawsuit and the city will be left holding the bag (or dead electric scooter)

You talking about your ex(es) or the scooter companies?  

Edited by Trey3216

12 hours ago, XYZ said:

There has to be some kind of scam going on, like the city is funding the cost of buying the retarded scooters or something like that. I can’t picture how that kind of business would make any economic sense without somebody else footing the bill.

Well, Uber is doing them as well, and they just the public to give them $8bn on their IPO.  So yes, someone else is always footing the bill.  

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

On one hand we are complaining about too many of these things on the streets, and on the other trying to figure out how they make money.

No one rides scooters anymore. There's too much scooter traffic. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 8:18 PM, XYZ said:

everything I have read is they don't make money in the USA.....the bikes lose more and the scooters lose a little less

the "scam" is that IT'S AN APP!!!!!!! just like the dot.com bust where www.dogshit.com made money (for those that ditched it one someone that lost their ass on it) because it had www at the start and .com at the end

the idea is to get the scooter prices cheaper, creep the price of rental up once they "catch on", narrow down the cost of maintenance and charging and service, and up the longevity of the scooters

right now the main issue with the bikes especially and the scooters is they do not last long enough even without vandalism, but newer models last better and the scooters are much cheaper 

then they need to figure out how to fuck the collectors/chargers like uber and lyft drivers get fucked and then they need to bump the rental up a bit and they might make a bit of money per scooter/per rental

On 6/3/2019 at 11:59 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

Went to San Diego over Memorial Day weekend and those damn scooters and red bicycles have taken over downtown street corner there too. 

“Too”? Every metro in Ca had this plague at least a year before any hamlet in Texas.

On 5/12/2019 at 6:37 PM, ztejas said:

Nah man you're much more likely to die while riding in a car. He's right that it is physics. There is much more potentially dangerous kinetic energy occurring in any car crash than someone being thrown off a scooter 3 inches off of the ground. 

Have to see the stats, but I’m not buying it. Yeah, few inches off the ground, yada yada.  Now let’s factor in no seatbelts, other, much larger and armored objects zipping around you, no head protection, etc.  

Each offers it own ziplock full of dangers, but talk to traumatic brain surgeons around ATX since the invasion of scooters.  Business is booming. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 11:59 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

Went to San Diego over Memorial Day weekend and those damn scooters and red bicycles have taken over downtown street corner there too. 

We were in Chicago over the same weekend & it just occurred to me that I never saw a single one of these things. People still managed to get around pretty well. Not sure how we all managed it...

On 6/4/2019 at 8:47 AM, Armybrat said:

A few years back in Idaho a tourist driving an RV with a car in tow through the winding mountain highway didn’t notice when said car got a flat. Eventually the tire shredded off and the wheel began to send out a shower of sparks, which set fires all along the road. 

Cars following the RV could not get around to warn the clueless driver for many miles.

When he eventually stopped, there were several forest fires going in his wake... with hundreds of firefighters trying to contain the blazes. Supposedly a state agency afterwards sent the numbnut tourist a seven figure bill for damages & firefighting expenses.

This kind of thing happens all the time around here when it's dry, just on a smaller scale. Usually it's something like someone with a trailer dragging a chain at the hitch. Spots fires all up and down Mopac or IH35.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:25 PM, ajax said:

Interesting. 

The founder of Onyx bikes just joined the Bird Scooter company, and Bird announced that they'll be introducing electric mopeds for rent in selected markets.

Electric Mopeds? Legally, you'd need a motorcyle license for these, right? (I know, Iknow, as if laws actually matter)

Edited by wood

On 6/14/2019 at 1:28 AM, Cajun said:

Have to see the stats, but I’m not buying it. Yeah, few inches off the ground, yada yada.  Now let’s factor in no seatbelts, other, much larger and armored objects zipping around you, no head protection, etc.  

Each offers it own ziplock full of dangers, but talk to traumatic brain surgeons around ATX since the invasion of scooters.  Business is booming. 

Yep. Safer on a scooter at 20+ mph than in a car at 30-40, even 50+? Yeah, that's complete nonsense. Esp with how safe modern cars are.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Electric Mopeds? Legally, you'd need a motorcyle license for these, right? (I know, Iknow, as if laws actually matter)

I'm not sure. 

We do have this Scooter company called Scoot here. Their scooters look like little Vespas and they're parked on the street. I think anyone with a drivers license can rent those. The Bird electric scooters look more like bicycles than mopeds. 

I saw a ton of bicycle looking scooters with seats in LA (Fly bikes), but the bikes that Bird will be launching are way bigger than those. And I think they'll be parked on the sidewalk like the scooters.

3 minutes ago, ajax said:

I'm not sure. 

We do have this Scooter company called Scoot here. Their scooters look like little Vespas and they're parked on the street. I think anyone with a drivers license can rent those. The Bird electric scooters look more like bicycles than mopeds. 

I saw a ton of bicycle looking scooters with seats in LA (Fly bikes), but the bikes that Bird will be launching are way bigger than those. And I think they'll be parked on the sidewalk like the scooters.

I guess pretty soon there'll be no point even trying to walk to get around. There'll be no way to navigate all the crap parked on the sidewalk.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

In Chicago there are a fuck ton of people actually using side walks on a daily basis.

Business and personal, every fucking day.

You can't have these stupid fucking things clogging up walk ways. They would end up in Lake Michigan or Southside very, very fast.

Also, walking is not that difficult. 

I have found walking is much easier after three months of cardiac rehab.

I have also never seen anyone over 30 zipping around on those gottdam scooters.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Cc is displacement, electric doesn’t have that. 

Varies by state, but 750 or 1000 watts seems to be the limit for an ebike to be considered still a bicycle.  That's plenty powerful, figures I found showed the average Joe cyclist might be be able to sustain 200 watts pedaling.