Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

I think I’m going to smoke a ham for next Sunday’s Easter lunch. Any suggestions on sides? Looking for something that really encapsulates this holiday that is so very important to my family and myself.

How could you be so insensitive as to smoke a ham for Easter, the most important Jewish high holy day?

For years, when we'd visit my mom for Easter or Thanksgiving, she would have a ham because she was under the mistaken impression that my wife's family always had a ham and she was trying to do something nice for my wife.  And that certainly was nice of her, but my wife's family had no such tradition.  And the ham wouldn't get much love in the serving line.

I like ham just fine, but outside of breakfast (occasionally) or as part of a recipe, stand-alone ham should be a side dish.

Edited by dcbc

The only time I willingly make ham is on New Year's Day.  My ex's family is from East Texas, so she got me on the traditional meal of ham, black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread.  And now I'm with a woman who's family is also from Texas, and her mom did the same thing, so I keep doing it every New Year's. 

And I'm a fan of the pork products and keep them in my cooking rotation -- pork chops, pork loin, carnitas, bacon, etc.  Ham just bores the shit out of me.

Edit:  I'll throw in a ham hock when I'm making pinto beans, but that's about it with my ham encounters throughout the year..

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

The only time I willingly make ham is on New Year's Day.  My ex's family is from East Texas, so she got me on the traditional meal of ham, black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread.  And now I'm with a woman who's family is also from Texas, and her mom did the same thing, so I keep doing it every New Year's. 

And I'm a fan of the pork products and keep them in my cooking rotation -- pork chops, pork loin, carnitas, bacon, etc.  Ham just bores the shit out of me.

Edit:  I'll throw in a ham hock when I'm making pinto beans, but that's about it with my ham encounters throughout the year..

My wife really likes ham, so we'll typically do a good bone-in ham for one of the holidays (although we didn't this year).  But in the end, the absolute bestest part of the whole experience is the amazing pot of hambone beans I make later that week.  Make sure to leave lots of meat on the bone, so the bowls of beans truly are bowls of beans and ham.

Hell, when we're eating the ham at the main meal, I'm really thinking "let's get through enough of this so I can set aside that bone and make some beans ASAP."  I'll typically strip slices of ham off the bone after the meal and put them in a ziploc so I've accomplished my goal.  And, bonus - I kinda love leftover ham and swiss sandwiches on good rolls.

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s hard to find a decent ham these days. Most are loaded with water and not enough smoke. Smithfield has gone down since the Chinese bought it.

I’m not much on ham as a dinner protein on a plate, but a heavy smoked real ham, sizzled in a skillet with butter until water is gone and well seared. Is great with eggs over easy and biscuits. Obviously great in pinto beans, pasta, fried rice, etc.

It’s hard to find a decent ham these days. Most are loaded with water and not enough smoke. Smithfield has gone down since the Chinese bought it.

I’m not much on ham as a dinner protein on a plate, but a heavy smoked real ham, sizzled in a skillet with butter until water is gone and well seared. Is great with eggs over easy and biscuits. Obviously great in pinto beans, pasta, fried rice, etc.

Please expand on how “the Chinese” ruined ham.

I guess I'm in the minority because I love ham. Sometimes we'll just buy a ham steak for one meal, but will also get a whole ham. Ham bone for any number of soups... split pea, 10 bean, or even just a ham bone soup. Love ham sandwiches, with mustard. Also great for omelets. 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I guess I'm in the minority because I love ham. Sometimes we'll just buy a ham steak for one meal, but will also get a whole ham. Ham bone for any number of soups... split pea, 10 bean, or even just a ham bone soup. Love ham sandwiches, with mustard. Also great for omelets. 

I celebrate the entire pig. I’m pretty well stocked on pork products right now. I’ve got ham, Tasso ham, bacon, Canadian bacon, salt pork, guanciale, Polska Kielbasa, and ham hocks.

I picked up some ham on sale after Easter. Mainly to make western omelettes but like you say, it goes with a lot of things. It’s great in soups and salad and I love a ham ‘n’ Swiss sandwich. I recently discovered gallopinto. (Or do you call it Gallo Pinto? I’ve seen it both ways.) It seems every Latin American country has its own variant. I figure it’s a loose guideline for rice ‘n’ beans. I found it works well with Canadian bacon and I figure it would work just as well with diced ham. That’s a great breakfast dish with or without eggs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Do you do the rooter to the tooter?

Souse meat, chittlins, cheeks, jowls, ears, blood, kidneys, tails. Gotta eat it all. My wife grew up on a farm in Tennessee and loved kidneys at hog killin day. My grandmother from Groesbeck once wanted some comfort food from 1912 Texas and served up some lights. “What’s that Big Mama?” Lungs. Blecchhh.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 2:16 PM, Brisketexan said:

My wife really likes ham, so we'll typically do a good bone-in ham for one of the holidays (although we didn't this year).  But in the end, the absolute bestest part of the whole experience is the amazing pot of hambone beans I make later that week.  Make sure to leave lots of meat on the bone, so the bowls of beans truly are bowls of beans and ham.

Hell, when we're eating the ham at the main meal, I'm really thinking "let's get through enough of this so I can set aside that bone and make some beans ASAP."  I'll typically strip slices of ham off the bone after the meal and put them in a ziploc so I've accomplished my goal.  And, bonus - I kinda love leftover ham and swiss sandwiches on good rolls.

Check out Curried Split Pea made with a country ham bone ...  oh man

• Hook 'Em 2

The answer has to be an omelette. considering you can take damn near every ingredient in this thread, throw it in with some eggs, fry it up, and it's an omelette.

Hell, I get you could even get away with peanut butter in our on an omelette, if that's your thing.

On 4/22/2023 at 9:26 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Eggs scrambled in dill olive oil and butter with shallot salt, herbs de provence, and black pepper. Cholula on top.

Venison sausage sautéed in butter

Charleston (SC) style Bloody Mary with Coors Banquet chaser

Black coffee

999fb2ac57db653dc48db13e52bc19a1.jpg

At first, I was like, "Ooh la la."  And by the end, I was like, "Hell yeah, brutha!!!!"

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

So much happening in this pic.

The pic?  You should have the seen itinerary of my Saturday.  Included getting up at 5AM to a 6 mile hike with 1000' of elevation gain, making/consuming breakfast, helping a friend hang a shelf, going for a road trip with another friend to a couple of local breweries to grab crowlers, riding my bike over to another friend's for happy hour while they were waiting to attend their kids' prom march, meeting another set of friends at the bar up town while they played in a pool tournament, attending a benefit for a neighboring fire department (I'm a volunteer fireman) where one of my favorite local bands was playing, got drunk and danced with the wife, which made her decide to ride me like Seabiscuit when we got home around 1AM.

It was a day, to say the least.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, utee94 said:

WTF is a "prom march?"

The grand march at a prom?

Maybe it’s a Midwestern thing, but each couple attending the prom walks into the school gym one at a time and their parents sit in the stands and take pictures.

Most of the adults go drinking before hand because sitting there waiting for your kid to go is fucking boring.

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I work weekends 3+ months out of the year.  Of the less than 9 month’s remaining, 3 have shit weather.  Gotta live while I can.

A few years ago, my oldest child was on leave in the Army and brought her significant other to stay with us for the weekend. Don't remember where we for breakfast but I ordered a Shiner.

Daughters SO "Kinda early for a beer isn't it?" Very condescendingly 

Daughter "Look. My dad works like 80 hours a week and that includes a bunch of Saturdays. So when he gets a rare Saturday day off, he can do whatever the fuck he wants"

They did not last long......

Edited by Jameslaw121
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Maybe it’s a Midwestern thing, but each couple attending the prom walks into the school gym one at a time and their parents sit in the stands and take pictures.

Most of the adults go drinking before hand because sitting there waiting for your kid to go is fucking boring.

Yeah... that definitely wasn't our experience with prom back in the day.  Maybe things are different here in Texas now, but back in my high school days, nobody's parents saw them on prom night from the time you picked up your date and took pictures at her house, to the time you returned her home the next morning after a night in a hotel room if you were lucky enough to have an older brother that could secure one...

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yeah... that definitely wasn't our experience with prom back in the day.  Maybe things are different here in Texas now, but back in my high school days, nobody's parents saw them on prom night from the time you picked up your date and took pictures at her house, to the time you returned her home the next morning after a night in a hotel room if you were lucky enough to have an older brother that could secure one...

I graduated high school in ‘03 and we did the whole entrance thing, but I don’t remember parents there.  Mine weren’t anyhow.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I graduated high school in ‘03 and we did the whole entrance thing, but I don’t remember parents there.  Mine weren’t anyhow.

The urban kids had prom at high end hotels.  You took the pictures at someone’s house before leaving for the evening.  You were not expected home until the morning.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I grew up in the midwest and I've never heard of such a thing.  If my parents tried to crash my prom I wouldn't have gone.

I grew up in the midwest and I've never heard of such a thing.  If my parents tried to crash my prom I wouldn't have gone.

I think it’s more of a thing of the times and helicopter parenting than a regional thing.

I don’t understand why they go in the first place, but it seems like an expectation now

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We had nothing of the sort when I was in HS and damnit, now I feel f'n cheated. Not because I didnt get to experience this thing known as grand prom march, that shit sounds terrible. No, I feel cheated because I didn't get to see the look on my old man's face when someone encouraged him to sit in the stands of the HS prom snapping photos of a bunch of teenage kids making their grand entrance. That shit would have been amusing. 

My senior prom in 77 was a long night. Said bye to mom in my ice blue tails and picked up my date, whom I had never taken out but I broke up with my girlfriend three weeks before prom. She was a junior and hot.

Ate at some fancy restaurant and then drove to the event at some huge ballroom. 18 was the drinking age so we all had a bottle. After our pics and a couple dances date disappeared which I later found out was holding the hair of her puking best friend in the ladies room until the thing shut down but there were some girls there stag so traded shots for some make out time in dark areas and made solid bang resources for summer. Date finally showed up and felt so bad I got laid in the back of my 442. Took her home, and this chick that worked at the radio station with me from a different school that had her prom the same night, I then drove across Memphis to her house and we had prearranged a tryst at 2am so we went and had some fun for a few hours. Came home after mom went to work.

I wasn't "date the hottest cheerleader" material, but my senior year the hottest cheerleader had a broken foot and nobody asked her to prom, and time was running out.  I saw my opening, she said yes, and the rest became history.  I definitely outkicked my coverage.