Just ordered a machine gun (no regulations of course)

markstanco

23 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Lol anyone claiming the sock? Woke up to 5 negs and I’m mcnulty-ing over here “wtf did I do?” No clue who this poster is or how I got dragged into all this but the board needs a cleansing...

Most likely a badmofo sock. I imagine things are pretty lonely moderating a dead website.

4 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Ok. You can buy a machine gun on the internet but have to pick it up, which I think most people would characterize as little regulation- certainly less regulated than obtaining a driver's license. That's what Obama is literally quoted as saying.

So again- where is Obama lying?

Machine guns are completely different so I won’t get into that, but you can buy non-machine guns online they just have to be shipped to an FFL(typically a gun store locally) so a background check can be performed before you can take possession.  You can order guns through cabelas or bass pro and pick them up in store because both are FFL dealers.  

Anyone who really believes you can order a gun online shipped to your house should try it and post the video.   

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SDG said:

Machine guns are completely different so I won’t get into that, but you can buy non-machine guns online they just have to be shipped to an FFL(typically a gun store locally) so a background check can be performed before you can take possession.  You can order guns through cabelas or bass pro and pick them up in store because both are FFL dealers.  

Anyone who really believes you can order a gun online shipped to your house should try it and post the video.   

Somebody better tell Al Bundy Mr. Obama was wrong with his attempt at blurring reality.  The reality is you may be able to purchase a gun thru an internet company,  but you're still subject to a background check before taking possession of that gun.  He left that little tidbit out, truth doesn't always help when you're trying to make a misguided point.

If you like your home delivery, internet gun dealer you can keep your home delivery, internet gun dealer ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

All of which fits within Obamas statement. "You can buy guns with little to no regulation." Compared to the rest of the civilized world, buying a gun online with just a background check is very little regulation. This coming from someone who just purchased a gun online a couple months ago. 

But the right is going to right and snowflake everything up. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

It's not that Obama lied, he just politicized a statement about guns.  Yes, you can buy guns online.  You can pay for it and instruct the seller to ship it to a FFL near you.  The FFL will receive the gun, and you will have to physically go to that shop, present ID, fill out the paperwork and wait while the background check is completed.  Yes, you can buy a machine gun online.  You can look at the pictures, make a deal with the seller, pay for it and have it shipped to a Class III FFL dealer.  You have to physically go to that dealer, fill out more paperwork and pay a transfer tax to the government.

To the uninformed, his statement is interpreted that you can buy a gun online and get it shipped directly to you and that's all there is to it.  This is pretty standard political bs.  Obama knows better, he is just being a politician.  

Same result. Stating you can buy a gun online, inferring it would come right to your door like the new blender your wife bought on Amazon.  His comment was meant to be a twisting of the reality.  Yep that's politics.  

39 minutes ago, SDG said:

I'm aware of guns going directly to residential addresses frequently. The ones I can tell seem new. Whether there is some loophole, they already passed the in-store background and wait period and dealer is then shipping it out, or these are post-upgrade/repairs - I can't really say.

Person-to-person shipment of guns is allowed with some carriers.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

I'm aware of guns going directly to residential addresses frequently. ...

A lot (maybe most) FFLs do business from their homes, so manufacturers and retailers might be shipping firearms to their homes, but they aren't the end consumer.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bernorange said:

A lot (maybe most) FFLs do business from their homes, so manufacturers and retailers might be shipping firearms to their homes, but they aren't the end consumer.but like I said it may be post-purchase modifications.

Too frequent and common for that, but like I said this may be post-purchase modifications. 

Edited by JohnnyRage
Common

Did Obama claim one can LEGALLY buy a machine gun over the internet?  Because if he didn't add the disclaimer (which itself isn't fully limiting), then I don't get the point.

I do find it fucking hilarious that a right-wing troll is actually playing some kind of "your leader is a liar" card.  Really?  THAT'S where we're at?  Wrong on so many levels.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The ability of the right to micro-analyze every sentence that comes out of Obama's mouth, while completely refusing to even simply look at the bullshit presented to them by their own party, continues to be breathtaking.

Micro managing ? Hardly, he intended to make it seem like you could order a gun and have it shipped to you address. That's just your garden variety lie, nothing to micro mange about it.  I agree with his sentiments regarding the number of firearms in our country, but playing fast and loose with the truth doesn't help his case.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

I'm aware of guns going directly to residential addresses frequently. The ones I can tell seem new. Whether there is some loophole, they already passed the in-store background and wait period and dealer is then shipping it out, or these are post-upgrade/repairs - I can't really say.

Person-to-person shipment of guns is allowed with some carriers.

don't know your situation, but even modifications often need to go through FFLs.  there's no loophole.  other than illegal transactions.  

so no, it's not like buying a bar of soap.  unless you clicked buy on amazon, picked it up from the whole foods amazon locker, ran a background check to pick it up, paid a $20 fee for the background check and FFL transaction, and then took the bar of soap home.  they can't and won't ever ship a gun to your door unless you have a FFL.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Micro managing ? 

Micro analyzing. You literally quoted Chuckie and responded to something he didn't say on thread that's supposed to be controversial because Obama stated something in way conservatives didn't like. I imagine it's an honest mistake on your part but it's probably a large part of the problem.

2 hours ago, Gladeite said:

It's not that Obama lied, he just politicized a statement about guns.  Yes, you can buy guns online.  You can pay for it and instruct the seller to ship it to a FFL near you.  The FFL will receive the gun, and you will have to physically go to that shop, present ID, fill out the paperwork and wait while the background check is completed.  Yes, you can buy a machine gun online.  You can look at the pictures, make a deal with the seller, pay for it and have it shipped to a Class III FFL dealer.  You have to physically go to that dealer, fill out more paperwork and pay a transfer tax to the government.

To the uninformed, his statement is interpreted that you can buy a gun online and get it shipped directly to you and that's all there is to it.  This is pretty standard political bs.  Obama knows better, he is just being a politician.  

Thank you, that's kinda what I suspected. Obama didn't lie but stated something in a way that didn't please consevatives whom, and I would love to be #bothsides here, have been the ones to politicize the issue by moving ever farther to the right to such an extent that Ronald Reagan, were he here today, would not receive an NRA endorsement. Keeping a conflict over gun control alive is critical for the GOP's survival.

3 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Micro analyzing. You literally quoted Chuckie and responded to something he didn't say on thread that's supposed to be controversial because Obama stated something in way conservatives didn't like. I imagine it's an honest mistake on your part but it's probably a large part of the problem.

I didn't like it based on my view that twisting words is dishonest when you fully know you're doing it. That's not a conservative dislike of what he was saying, that's just insulting to me.  I don't twist my comments here to suit my views. I may be wrong about things I state, but it's not coming from an intentionally dishonest position.

I agree our gun situation is beyond ridiculous, but it doesn't win my support when things are twisted away from the actual reality of the issue.  He knew what he was doing/saying, and that makes it even more insulting.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gladeite said:

I don’t know, but I’m interested to know...can you buy gun parts online, shipped to your door, without a background check?  Then assemble a gun?  

Sometimes I see ads for AR uppers and lowers, just had me wondering. 

27 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I didn't like it based on my view that twisting words is dishonest when you fully know you're doing it. That's not a conservative dislike off what he was saying, that's just insulting to me.  I don't twist my comments here to suit my views. I may be wrong about things I state, but it's not coming from an intentional position.

I agree our gun situation is beyond ridiculous, but it doesn't win my support when things are twisted away from the actual reality of the issue.  He knew what he was doing/saying, and that makes it even more insulting.

It's a much ado about nothing over the way Obama said something by posters who are misquoting other posters (again, probably an honest mistake), falsely claiming I negged them and that I should "shot" myself (though apparently Ptown's post are gone).

Rabble Rabble!!!

13 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You only have to buy the serialized reciever* through an FFL. Other parts can be ordered online and shipped to your door without any FFL business.

*the part that is considered the actual "firearm" may not always be a receiver, but that is generally true.

there's a thriving industry in selling unfinished receivers.  they're unserialized and "unfinished", but oftentimes that just means they haven't had the holes drilled out or completely welled out or machined in certain parts.  it's pretty easy to "finish" a receiver and build your own firearm that now has no serial number.   it's also completely legal.  whether or not it should be is another question.  also touches on the 3d gun printing issue.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

@gsoda3

Kimber and rifles are the easiest to spot to me.

this just occurred to me.  i've had to send in a shotgun and a rifle to yildiz and remington, respectively, for repairs.  also almost sent in a benelli once but opted to get that done locally.   the process for that is you ship it to them and they ship it back to your door.  so maybe that's what happened.  

You still have to do the last 20% of the work, and I bet the amount of attention and discussion they get is higher than the number of people who actually buy them and complete them. At a minimum you need a drill press and some machining skills. I've seen some pretty bungled up ones. But even then it is considered a home built the same as if you killed one out of a solid block of aluminum.

• Like 1

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

Would it be legal for me to purchase a gun from one of you on this board, pay over PayPal, and have you ship it to my house? 

Only if you send it "Friends and Family." If you let Paypal take a 3% cut out of it, Imo cap yo ass.