Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Not sure what you mean by overrun by. Do you think there are more homeless people in the neighborhoods surrounding that location than in and around Mueller? That seems extremely far-fetched. The picture on the chronicle cover story is next to Mueller. There are at least three good sized homeless camps in Mueller. Mueller abuts I35. We don't have a bad situation, by the way. I'm extremely that a Ben White shelter will "attract" homeless more than a larger Shelter in Mueller will.

i used to live in hyde park.  i know 35, hancock, and mueller area well.  the homeless problem there does not compared to the shit on ben white.  that whole corridor on ben white from 35 to lamar is a nightmare.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i used to live in hyde park.  i know 35, hancock, and mueller area well.  the homeless problem there does not compared to the shit on ben white.  that whole corridor on ben white from 35 to lamar is a nightmare.

The “You squat, I shoot” sign has pushed them from my section of Mueller. Sorry for sending them your way. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's a very interesting question. It's worth mentioning again that there has been no protest of the Rathgeber Center in Mueller, which will have 2X the number of beds that the Ben White Shelter will. It's genuinely interesting.

Do you think that's more a result of Mueller residents buying into a relatively new and constantly evolving neighborhood understanding that it was going to be a dense, mixed use, city project that would include substantial housing for the working poor/lower middle and a variety of social services, or the fact that Rathgeber is a Salvation Army shelter and not a Front Steps/COA shelter?

Valid question that I do not know the answer to.

My snippy posit was made with the Nimby Adler handjobbers in Tarrytown I used to live amongst.

Same people who count amongst their ranks the guy down the street from me who had the bilboard sized Anti-Lyft/Uber sign in the front of his mansion.  It was so much fun picking him and his wife up and driving them to the airport once the Leg squashed his utopian wet dream.

Hope all that hipocrysy keeps him warm while managing his '03 plantation.

So, I painted with a broad stroke, but you and I both know that a large percentage of the 75-150 you mentioned reside in that hood and behave accordingly.

• Like 2

Valid question that I do not know the answer to.
My snippy posit was made with the Nimby Adler handjobbers in Tarrytown I used to live amongst.
Same people who count amongst their ranks the guy down the street from me who had the bilboard sized Anti-Lyft/Uber sign in the front of his mansion.  It was so much fun picking him and his wife up and driving them to the airport once the Leg squashed his utopian wet dream.
Hope all that hipocrysy keeps him warm while managing his '03 plantation.
So, I painted with a broad stroke, but you and I both know that a large percentage of the 75-150 you mentioned reside in that hood and behave accordingly.

I completely agree.

Honest question. Are these companies moving here and driving up home prices doing anything to help with this situation? Seems it would be to their benefit to make Austin as nice as possible. We gave them tax breaks. I would think using some of their money and brain power would earn a lot of goodwill.

23 minutes ago, Deej said:

Honest question. Are these companies moving here and driving up home prices doing anything to help with this situation? Seems it would be to their benefit to make Austin as nice as possible. We gave them tax breaks. I would think using some of their money and brain power would earn a lot of goodwill.

The cost of living in San Jose is somewhere between 30-100% higher than Austin, depending on what data you pick.  Silicon Valley is full.  Austin is a cheaper near-shore alternative.  Companies can put jobs here and pay people less, and Austin is affordable for those people in those jobs.  Silicon Valley will continue to put jobs here until the cost of dealing with the distance is higher than the cost of putting a bunch of people in California, or until some other Silicon Valley-like place is cheaper than Austin or until an economic disaster reduces the tech population.

Many Bay Area companies have some charitable fund.  Employees can donate to charities and get a match.  Many of those donations go to organizations that the employee's children are in, like a school or church non-profit, because that's where the employees donate.  Most of them have some local charity drives, like helping with Meals on Wheels, park cleanup or collecting school supplies for a low-scoring school.  These are often seen as site wide team-building exercises.

In my opinion, the tech companies mostly want to put more 22-35 year old tech workers in cheaper, yet "cool enough" locations, with reasonable access to the home office.  There are some that are headquartered here that care more, but the ones HQ'ed elsewhere mostly want to reduce their costs as they expand their company.

On 7/18/2019 at 3:50 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Flannigan might. Tovo seems likely to get drafted, Kitchen almost certainly will, and I would watch Delia Garza as well. I would be happy with Flannigan or Garza. 

There will also be at least one major, well-funded, traditional business community approved candidate that is not on the council, and those candidates usually win. (4.5/6 of the last Mayors)

I love this Flannigan appearance at Austin area high school musical and theatre awards 2018.  Not sorry if already posted.  Coolest city councilman appearance at area hs awards in memory.

Frankly, it deserves more love.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No worries - It's actually kind of a strange phenomenon that everybody has a mental picture of the Arch on the corner of Red River and 7th, and The Salvation Army a block up on Red River, even though both abut Neches. I've heard staff at St. David's say it, which is bizarre because they are across a huge surface parking lot from both. 

which st david’s is a parking lot away from 7th and neches?

Listened to Adler on morning radio this am.
Pure comedy.
"These people are mostly from Austin..."
"I don't believe there's any migration of homeless to Austin..."
Can't make this shit up.
Adler is........

BOZO CASANOVA!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mueller residents are cool with it because they're all Californians and are used to it. I'm in favor of concentrating as many Californians and homeless as possible north of the river.

I used to live on Western Trails behind Central Market. This one homeless dude would sleep in my Jeep every few months. He was pretty cool though. Gave him a bloody mary in the morning once or twice and bummed a couple smokes off of him. /csb

• Like 1

Home Depot made a shit load of sense. What was the reasoning for not using a space the city already owns?  And what could possibly be on this report that says paying more than double the market amount for an office building it doesn’t own  is the better play. 

Instead of crying to the media like a bitch Adler, and trying to shame your citizens....why not some fucking transparency? 

Because you can't overpay on real estate with transparency.  In commercial real estate, we have a term for inquiring about off-market deals even before they're off-market and well before they are on market.  It's called, "The Whisper Price."  Appropriate since Adler constantly speaks in whispers because he's always lying and always up to some bullshit. 

What the fuck did you dipshits think was gonna happen with an Austin real estate attorney being elected mayor with a campaign completely funded by the same 60 donors?  Christ, say what you want about Ann Kitchen...at least she's open about where her money comes from.  I love the confusion so many fucking dipshit Austinites have about Adler and half the council.  They're private sector hacks and can't lie their way out of a wet paper bag, but they drop y'all a couple of token laws each year to keep you in your corner.  It's gotta be hard to not yell, "BUT TRUMP" when you feed the same idiotic machine here in Austin.  

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Home Depot made a shit load of sense. What was the reasoning for not using a space the city already owns?  And what could possibly be on this report that says paying more than double the market amount for an office building it doesn’t own  is the better play. 

Instead of crying to the media like a bitch Adler, and trying to shame your citizens....why not some fucking transparency? 

http://foift.org/resources/texas-public-information-act/

So Austin will be adjusting property tax values accordingly when presented with these new “comps” added to the neighborhood scenery. Correct?

Or is Leslie fucking Pool pushing hard for an 8% increase because they can’t stop spending money?  Leslie, there are three sprawling camps growing in the Mopac 183 corridor, values need to go down based on city leadership decisions. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So Austin will be adjusting property tax values accordingly when presented with these new “comps” added to the neighborhood scenery. Correct?

Or is Leslie fucking Pool pushing hard for an 8% increase because they can’t stop spending money?  Leslie, there are three sprawling camps growing in the Mopac 183 corridor, values need to go down based on city leadership decisions. 

Take it up with Travis CAD.

14 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

If any of you have pleasure of driving northbound on the frontage road of 183 this week, take a look at the camp the homeless have built at the Braker intersection across from the Einstein’s and Boston Market.   

Its a full on fort built sponsored by Home Depot.  

That’s been there for at least a month, but it seems to be growing each week.

Yeah, as pointed out several times on this thread...these are new homeless people coming out to camp to annoy Austinites.  They're just now free to camp more visibly out in the open, in more convenient spots and spaces.  Most of these folks were hidden away in wooded homeless camps, but they got tired of the long commutes to their pandhandling corners from the woods...so they moved closer in.  See, we all have something in common...we're fucking sick of Austin traffic trying to get to work everyday, so we try to move closer in but the cost of living is brutal the closer in you get.  And so we can all blame Adler and Kitchen for that at least!  Common ground, folks! 

On 8/4/2019 at 8:08 AM, Chet Steadman said:

If any of you have pleasure of driving northbound on the frontage road of 183 this week, take a look at the camp the homeless have built at the Braker intersection across from the Einstein’s and Boston Market.   

Its a full on fort built sponsored by Home Depot.  

Just as long as they pulled a building permit.  

https://www.kut.org/post/austin-proposes-budget-includes-627-million-moral-imperative-ending-homelessness

It includes a $17 million increase over last year in money set aside for homelessness initiatives – a total of $62.7 million in general revenue funds.

All told, the budget increases city property taxes by 2.5%, or roughly $100 more for typical homeowners over last year.

lulz.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Theres a tubby ginger girl at 290 and cameron now. She looks barely 18, and I just hope she is visiting a homeless relative then GTFO.

You had me at "barely 18".....after having previously lost me at "tubby".

Edited by Lhorn
  • Haha 2

On 8/2/2019 at 6:16 PM, Deej said:

My answer if I were repping corporates is that they are bringing in a lot of jobs $80-250k, meaning more home owners (property tax payers) and increasing home prices (TCAD appraisals), resulting in a large increase in tax revenue. 

This is also my response when Austin govt claims they want to make Austin more affordable while saying they don’t have enough money to fund critical functions after they pay for their pet progressive projects. Shit Adler, you are bringing in 10%+ more tax revenue year over year and it’s not enough???

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

My answer if I were repping corporates is that they are bringing in a lot of jobs $80-250k

Two kids that worked for me got jobs with Apple, paying 35k a year, after they graduated from UT. They aren't buying homes in Austin.

One of the most prosperous runs of any city in the Western Hemisphere and the undisputed envy of America’s new urban growth for almost two decades now, yet our council can’t seem to make ends meet.  

I shudder to think what happens once the faucet begins to slow.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, B00M said:

$35k? They must really like Apple and want to be poor forever. Future Hobo Junglers?

They are just desperate to get work and have no idea the this town will chew them up and spit them out.

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

You had me at "barely 18".....after having previously lost me at "tubby".

Been a long time since a gave a shit about another human, but I am genuinely concerned about her safety.

Not sexual eaither since the dark lord forbade intercourse between my souless ginger brethren at our conception.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but downtown hotels have agreed to an additional optional taxing district if the city  expands the convention center. I think it'll generate around 4 million a year that the city can use to dealing with the homeless and other issues. Basically, a revenue source not relying on property tax payers. This is part of what Adler refers to as the "downtown puzzle".