Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

I don't care, it was an obvious maneuver that I would have done were I her.  But for a progressive decrying big money in politics, it was a curious gambit.  

Her joint fundraising PAC (combo of a pro-Warren Senate PAC and the Mass. Democratic fund), raised a bunch of money for her outside of her official campaign efforts.  Odd since she didn't face much of a challenge that the Mass. Democrats would put so many resources behind with her with so many other strongly contested races.  Then they conveniently turned over $12.5mm to her presidential campaign.  Convenient because they had more left over than that, but that's the most you can legally move.  Then the joint fundraising PAC was coincidentally shut down and terminated right before her announcement. 

All perfectly legal.  But the timing and the mechanisms by which she jump starts her presidential campaign seem at odds with her temperament and rhetoric as the most progressive candidate in the field.  

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

You seriously fell for that, didn’t you?

I was going to ask if his parents are brother and sister, but that's wholly offensive to inbred children.  Even they aren't that fucking dumb.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't care, it was an obvious maneuver that I would have done were I her.  But for a progressive decrying big money in politics, it was a curious gambit.  

Her joint fundraising PAC (combo of a pro-Warren Senate PAC and the Mass. Democratic fund), raised a bunch of money for her outside of her official campaign efforts.  Odd since she didn't face much of a challenge that the Mass. Democrats would put so many resources behind with her with so many other strongly contested races.  Then they conveniently turned over $12.5mm to her presidential campaign.  Convenient because they had more left over than that, but that's the most you can legally move.  Then the joint fundraising PAC was coincidentally shut down and terminated right before her announcement. 

All perfectly legal.  But the timing and the mechanisms by which she jump starts her presidential campaign seem at odds with her temperament and rhetoric as the most progressive candidate in the field.  

Very legal and very cool

• 1 month later...

Spitting more hot fire today. Again.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/02/06/elizabeth-warren-tribal-citizen-native-american-heritage-cherokee/

“I told Chief Baker that I am sorry that I extended confusion about tribal citizenship and tribal sovereignty and for harm caused,” she said. “I am also sorry for not being more mindful of this decades ago. Tribes and only tribes determine tribal citizenship.”

38 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Applying as Native American on a law school application ?  Is that for real or photoshopped ?  If it is she's toast on that one.  What reservation did she live on ?

I don't know about her law school application, but she used it for her bar registration in the State of Texas.  Not sure if your race carries any special benefit when it comes time to actually practice law, but it's gotta be borderline unethical to claim membership to the most marginalized minority group in the history of our hemisphere.  And to do it because your 'Gam-Gam' told you that you were Native American.  

Pro-Tip:  No matter what your family tells you about your heritage, if your family refers to your grandmother as your 'Gam-Gam', you aren't a Native American.  'Cause that's some fucking white people shit right there...

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't know about her law school application, but she used it for her bar registration in the State of Texas.  Not sure if your race carries any special benefit when it comes time to actually practice law, but it's gotta be borderline unethical to claim membership to the most marginalized minority group in the history of our hemisphere.  And to do it because your 'Gam-Gam' told you that you were Native American.  

Pro-Tip:  No matter what your family tells you about your heritage, if your family refers to your grandmother as your 'Gam-Gam', you aren't a Native American.  'Cause that's some fucking white people shit right there...

2019.02.06warren.jpg

Unless it was one of those things you do to keep the lie going.  Some of you bar association experts can weight in here, but I'm thinking there's no real benefit to being of one minority or another once admitted to the actual bar.   Other than maybe being eligible for leadership in some bar affinity groups, "Native American Attorneys for Eldercare Law" or somesuch.  Or maybe the AG's office has to offer 20% of its new hire positions to Native Americans or whatever.  Obviously helps, or did back in that era, with applying to teach at certain law schools.  But I'm guessing she kept up the facade because first thing the bar association does is check with your law school of record to verify grades and didn't cheat...and she had already listed Native American on her law school and undergrad materials.  So had to perpetuate the lie. 

Gotta giver her credit, she had a Costanza-esque dedication to the lie for 45 years...most of us woulda caved after a tenth of that time.  She has the determination and grit you only find in a true Comanche spirit.  

She was admitted to the Texas Bar in 1986, while teaching at UT.  She had taught at UH for several years prior to that.  For a workaday lawyer, there's no benefit to listing yourself as a minority.  Could possibly be for a law professor, but a) she was a law prof in Texas and at Texas for several years prior to this and b) I doubt any such benefit would result from one's race listed with the bar, but rather something else lodged with the institution.

I kind of like her, I definitely respect her.  But this race thing seems kind of delusional.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

She was admitted to the Texas Bar in 1986, while teaching at UT.  She had taught at UH for several years prior to that.  For a workaday lawyer, there's no benefit to listing yourself as a minority.  Could possibly be for a law professor, but a) she was a law prof in Texas and at Texas for several years prior to this and b) I doubt any such benefit would result from one's race listed with the bar, but rather something else lodged with the institution.

I kind of like her, I definitely respect her.  But this race thing seems kind of delusional.

Its bizarro..........................

I can see a lib brain thinking, "This will make the representation numbers look better and hopefully inspire positive attitudes about natives and inspire native young people!"

Delusional is a good word for it; never underestimate the white lib's ability to imagine that their tiny, meaningless personal decisions are noble and grand.

I think the idea that Warren did all that for personal gain is silly. It makes no sense.

Edited by bad_teammate

I admit that I originally thought this was a nothing issue thinking she only claimed some distant Native American heritage, which appears to be factually true but barely.  

Now I’ve changed my mind about this issue.  The bar admittance form is nutso.  Just because grandma says there is some link, it seems a ridiculous stretch to claim it as your main background.  She needs to explain her reasoning fo doing this.  Because she hasn’t.

IMO, the issue (so far) isn't about lying for career opportunities.  The bar card explicitly says its non-public info, and she listed herself as white on several applications.   The issue is that the more like this that comes out, the more it seems like she has a screw loose.  And that's probably worse for a presidential candidate than lying for career gain. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I find the story charming.  She really believed she was something she wasn’t because she was taught to believe it.  

It’s a good reminder these people are in fact human.

I don't think you understand the definition of the word charming.  I like her thoughts on reform, but she used it in an attempt to advance herself. Saying your native American on an application when you're clearly 99.9999% caucasian is fraud.   She knew what the designations were for, and she doesn't qualify as a minority, but she sure tried to.

Those labels on forms are designed for folks who actually are an actual majority % DNA minority race.  My wife has more Native American DNA than Warrens entire family does, and would never think to call herself NA.

Give it up, sport, she's a lame duck, and the season hasn't even really started yet.  Kinda sucks, I'd have liked to see an actual form candidate on either ticket.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

trump-bannon-timeline-06-gty-jrl-180104_

^(In Trump voice)

Right.  I'm looking for a candidate who doesn't share any of Trump's bad qualities.   I like Warren personally and on the issues.   But being slightly nutty as one of 100 Senators and being slightly nutty as president are two different things.  From my perspective, there are several good Dem candidates to choose from, and having a weird identity quirk like this is certainly relevant to choosing between them.  But if she wins the primary, I'd vote for her over Trump without question. 

I grew up on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation and nearly every white kid that did was told they have some Native American in their woodpile. My grandmother was part Native American (I honestly have no idea how much) and we were told this from a very early age. It still comes up at family events when my grandma is brought up. I feel bad for Warren in a way because if you're proud of your family heritage and the stories you are told, it's very easy to get caught up in retelling these stories. I think labeling herself as she did was her way of showing pride in her family. That's not to say what she did on her bar card isn't wrong. I understand how it happens though, and I don't think it makes her 'slightly nutty' or a 'liar' on the scale of what we're currently witnessing. 

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Concern trolls going hard in this thread right now.

They really just want to say that they don't like that she is a big fan of regulating an industry that was a major (if the biggest) contributor to the 2008 recession because somehow that means the libs are winning? Call her crazy for all this shit if you want, but I wish every senator would attack unfettered capitalism as strong as she does.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Right.  I'm looking for a candidate who doesn't share any of Trump's bad qualities.   I like Warren personally and on the issues.   But being slightly nutty as one of 100 Senators and being slightly nutty as president are two different things.  From my perspective, there are several good Dem candidates to choose from, and having a weird identity quirk like this is certainly relevant to choosing between them.  But if she wins the primary, I'd vote for her over Trump without question. 

The conclusion that’s she’s slightly nutty is absurd.  

I admit that I originally thought this was a nothing issue thinking she only claimed some distant Native American heritage, which appears to be factually true but barely.   Now I’ve changed my mind about this issue.  The bar admittance form is nutso.  Just because grandma says there is some link, it seems a ridiculous stretch to claim it as your main background.  She needs to explain her reasoning fo doing this.  Because she hasn’t.

I think the ratio for minority business certification is 1/32 (great great grandparent). That should be the bar for claiming it.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The conclusion that’s she’s slightly nutty is absurd.  

Eccentricity, then?  It's a weird thing to do.  The bar card is just so unequivocal about it.  Even "part native American" would have been fine.  But there's no way she reasonably thought her race was simply "American Indian."  I guess if she owned it and came out with a rational explanation like mentioned above it would be better — like, "I was just trying to represent that heritage in statistics that weren't publicly associated with my name, to help encourage others, but I've long understood that was misguided."  But her position that she believed it to this degree makes her seem a bit off.  And I'm saying this as someone who really likes Warren and wants this to be a non-issue. 

• Like 1

Whatever the right or wrong of it, and I can sure see how she "believed" it, it is the type of stupid mistake in retrospect that opens her up to ridicule and laughter, and this is the politically damaging aspect.  Her stock price is way down, and that's just the market at work.  She's good at what she does, as a public intellectual, but she should let the dem race go on without her.   Or, she should expect to get this message delivered to her in the primary.  Tough break, perhaps.  But she did it to herself.   She is still an elite, doing well financially, etc.  No crying in baseball.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

Whatever the right or wrong of it, and I can sure see how she "believed" it, it is the type of stupid mistake in retrospect that opens her up to ridicule and laughter, and this is the politically damaging aspect.  Her stock price is way down, and that's just the market at work.  She's good at what she does, as a public intellectual, but she should let the dem race go on without her.   Or, she should expect to get this message delivered to her in the primary.  Tough break, perhaps.  But she did it to herself.   She is still an elite, doing well financially, etc.  No crying in baseball.

yeah, this is where i stand.

this is an extremely stupid problem to have, and one she could have gotten out in front of a long time ago, in a manner similar to that described by @Mojo Hand. i simply do not understand why owning up to something is so difficult in the political world. america is extremely forgiving to those who own up to their own bullshit. same goes for the virginia blackface bros. just own up to being stupid, say you've grown a lot since then, and you wish you could go back and change the dumbass you were back then a la ellis boyd redding in shawshank.

I'm not defending this error in judgment.  I don't even particularly like her as a candidate.

But it speaks volumes about the insane asylum this country has become that this is a bigger deal than Trump's "grab 'em by the pussy" audio or the double-digit sexual assault accusations.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Isn't that what she's doing?

Sort of.  She's saying that she believed in her family story but recognizes that it was wrong to claim NA heritage for a couple of reasons.   And I believe her.  But I haven't heard a good reason from her for why she elevated her family story of one Native American great-great-great grandmother to unequivocally claiming "Race:  American Indian."   If it's because she believed that was her race based on one ancestor six generations back, which is what her story seems to be, that strikes me as a very odd thing to believe. 

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm not defending this error in judgment.  I don't even particularly like her as a candidate.

But it speaks volumes about the insane asylum this country has become that this is a bigger deal than Trump's "grab 'em by the pussy" audio or the double-digit sexual assault accusations.

i agree with this, but i think this underlines where we are as a country.

there are a few rabid leftists on this board who think that the democratic party needs to stop being nice and play the game. there is a reason franken resigned and trump is president. it's because the democrats have at least the appearance of a moral compass. the republicans have gone full reptile, and give zero fucks. because they want to own the libs so hard. it has worked in the short term. i do not think it will work in the long term, and i support the democratic party's way of going about their business.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

there are a few rabid leftists on this board who think that the democratic party needs to stop being nice and play the game. there is a reason franken resigned and trump is president. it's because the democrats have at least the appearance of a moral compass. the republicans have gone full reptile, and give zero fucks. because they want to own the libs so hard. it has worked in the short term. i do not think it will work in the long term, and i support the democratic party's way of going about their business.

I'm hoping against hope this is the right play because if it isn't, the Rs are going to continue their treasonous reign.

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Yes, and they can continue to openly hold onto power they don't deserve by holding the majority in the senate as well as gerrymandering lots of states. They got TWO fucking SC justices on the court that are going to ensure that their ideals (BUT THEY CALL BALLS AND STRIKES DUM LIB) are codified for a generation. 

I am one who says fuck playing on two different sets of rules, how many of y'all who are complaining about Warren's gaffe are applying any sort of scrutiny to Harris, Klobuchar, Biden, etc.? That's what's making me the most annoyed in all of this.