Gunman attacks Dallas Federal Building

CHEF DIESEL

16 minutes ago, wood said:

So DFD has armor now? EMS has had vests in Austin for years, but still nothing for Fire. No idea why.

Dallas is behind the curve on EMS related needs. I think Dickey's BBQ bought all of the vests and helmets for Dallas Fire Rescue.

My youngest is the same age. Need to see if he knew this guy at Woodrow.

efc6dcac23e719a75dfcbd9da24c3643.jpg

Wife sent me this. He was in my youngest’s class but only freshman year. He doesn’t remember him.

Interesting looking at the other names is that I know nearly all the other kids listed in both rows other than him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Dallas is behind the curve on EMS related needs. I think Dickey's BBQ bought all of the vests and helmets for Dallas Fire Rescue.

Welp, we finally got AFD t-shirts that say "Austin FIRE" rather than the old "Austin Fire Department" to make us a little easier to distinguish from the cops. So we got that goin' for us... Of course, it might help if we didn't all dress almost exactly the same here. I saw an FD somewhere the other day that dresses in red shirts. Seems like a pretty good idea.

Edited by wood

17 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

DMN photojournalist Tom Fox had just gotten to courthouse and was about to go inside to cover a trial when he saw this guy get out of a car with weapons, and ducked behind the wall as seen in video above.  He leaned out, shot a few frames and ducked back again.  He's lucky to be alive - but damn, what a photo.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't win the Pulitzer for spot news photography.  

Interview quotes from him in this reporter's feed: https://twitter.com/MeaganMHarris

So I have to ask...because it's not said here.  Did Tom call 911 when he saw this guy?

Because if he chose the picture over calling....well...I really hope that's not the case.  If it is, fuck him.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

So I have to ask...because it's not said here.  Did Tom call 911 when he saw this guy?

Because if he chose the picture over calling....well...I really hope that's not the case.  If it is, fuck him.

Watch the video posted on page one of the thread.  Fox saw the guy, took photo, ducked and then federal agents further down the block opened fire almost immediately.  The total elapsed time was probably roughly 60 seconds between gunman's arrival and when the gunman collapsed.

Could all be fantasy, but but his facing book says US Army and most recent residence, Ft. Campbell, KY.

Wonder if he got section 8?

Also facing book says Woodrow, Leander, and some other places for school.

Also, big surprise, lists Halo as one of his interests.

18 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

lulz

I think firing at a federal courthouse accomplishes much more than calling 911 would when it comes to alerting law enforcement responders.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

I think firing at a federal courthouse accomplishes much more than calling 911 would when it comes to alerting law enforcement responders.

Reread what it says...

Tom Fox had just gotten to courthouse and was about to go inside to cover a trial when he saw this guy get out of a car with weapons, and ducked behind the wall 

The way it reads, he saw the guy before any shooting started, so my question is did he call 911 when he saw this?  If this idiot had killed someone, and this guy saw him get out of the car with weapons and didn't instantly call 911, then there would have been blood on his hands.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

Reread what it says...

Tom Fox had just gotten to courthouse and was about to go inside to cover a trial when he saw this guy get out of a car with weapons, and ducked behind the wall 

The way it reads, he saw the guy before any shooting started, so my question is did he call 911 when he saw this?  If this idiot had killed someone, and this guy saw him get out of the car with weapons and didn't instantly call 911, then there would have been blood on his hands.

newsman does newsman work when he sees news.  eHero sees blood on his hands.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, big surprise, lists Halo as one of his interests.

Yeah, totally makes sense now. He didn't come across as a shooter until he listed one of the most popular video games of all time in his interests. I hear he likes soccer and ice cream, too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

newsman does newsman work when he sees news.  eHero sees blood on his hands.

WTF?  

I'm not saying he should have intervened.  I'm saying that if any of us see a guy get out of a car heavily armed, we should be calling 911 first damn thing.  Are you really saying it was more important for him to get a photo?  

Edited by Uncle Nate

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

guaranteed he bought something at one of those mall ninja stores as a 13 year old.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

His facebook is pretty open and public. Many are now going through his posts and commenting after this incident happened.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.clyde.50

1.png

2.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=4924502

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

WTF?  

I'm not saying he should have intervened.  I'm saying that if any of us see a guy get out of a car heavily armed, we should be calling 911 first damn thing.  Are you really saying it was more important for him to get a photo?  

Yeah you're right, I'm sure the response time would have been way faster than the cops that were standing literally 20 yards away from him inside, that, you know, shot and killed the guy almost instantly. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Reread what it says...

I think the point is that it wouldn't have mattered.  In the time it would take to dial 911, let it ring three times (in Dallas, probably more like ten), listen to "911, what's your emergency," and say "holy shit, there's a guy at the federal courthouse . . . ," the dispatcher doesn't have any time to put out a call before the shooting starts.  And once the shooting starts, the federal marshals are already there ready to return fire.

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

I think the point is that it wouldn't have mattered.  In the time it would take to dial 911, let it ring three times (in Dallas, probably more like ten), listen to "911, what's your emergency," and say "holy shit, there's a guy at the federal courthouse . . . ," the dispatcher doesn't have any time to put out a call before the shooting starts.  And once the shooting starts, the federal marshals are already there ready to return fire.

I get it.

But did the photographer know that?  I'm sorry, but if I see a guy getting out of his car heavily armed, I'm going to do what the photographer did and hide first (no shame there), but I'm going to call 911 because I don't know that anybody else knows or that authorities are going to get to him before he kills someone.  I'm sure as hell going to do that before I try and get a photograph of him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm not taking sides here, but a good calltaker actually could put out that call in just a few seconds. All we need to get that call going and a response started is 1) an address and 2) a call type. They already have both right there. The rest is just getting more info.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

I get it.

But did the photographer know that?  I'm sorry, but if I see a guy getting out of his car heavily armed, I'm going to do what the photographer did and hide first (no shame there), but I'm going to call 911 because I don't know that anybody else knows or that authorities are going to get to him before he kills someone.  I'm sure as hell going to do that before I try and get a photograph of him.

You really think his call to 911 would do anything to alert anyone before something happened?

Just now, Michael Knight said:

You really think his call to 911 would do anything to alert anyone before something happened?

Maybe?  Possibly?  Err on the side of caution?

Are you all really advocating NOT calling 911 in this situation?  He may be the first person who saw the guy (most likely he was based on what was written above).  Yes, you all have the benefit of hindsight in this particular situation, but at the time Mr. Pulitzer didn't have that hindsight.  

Calling 911 should be the first thing any of us do, whether or not we think it would matter.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Are you all really advocating NOT calling 911 in this situation?  He may be the first person who saw the guy (most likely he was based on what was written above).  Yes, you all have the benefit of hindsight in this particular situation, but at the time Mr. Pulitzer didn't have that hindsight.  

Calling 911 should be the first thing any of us do, whether or not we think it would matter.

Just spitballing here, but maybe he didn't want to make any noise to alert the heavily armed man that he was nearby. 

I'm guessing he didn't take the photo until after police shot at the gunman who looks like he is about to bolt.

In his position, I'd be worrying about the gunman smelling the shit in my pants.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'd like to know what the Feds were shooting, because I can't even see them in the video -- they hit him from some distance.  Nice work.

You can see the puffs of smoke in the bottom left of the video.  They seem to have engaged him from just down (west?) the same block.  I'm surprised he didn't drop like a sack of potatoes.

edit:  sorry, bottom right

Edited by HouTex

15 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

He was the closest person to the shooter and basically in the line of fire.  I'm sure getting out and unlocking the cell phone was tops on the list as opposed to clicking the button on the camera in hand while trying to figure out just what the fuck is happening right now??

15 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

This is mostly pure speculation, but it's not uncommon for Fed Sniper teams to use SoCom equipment.

If so, they would be using a FN 17 also know as SCAR heavy. A 308 caliber carbine that has been proven very reliable out to 500 yards and beyond.

Using the appropriate suppressor unit, at x distance you wouldn't even hear the rapport nor see the flash until threat was stopped.

Could have also been a Barrett 50 but those are typically for over 500 and only a rare few train with those rifles. You would have heard it.

He got shot pretty quickly though, right? I mean I doubt they had time to set up a sniper team to take this guy out. Unless they have snipers watching that street all day every day. 

14 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

This is mostly pure speculation, but it's not uncommon for Fed Sniper teams to use SoCom equipment.

If so, they would be using a FN 17 also know as SCAR heavy. A 308 caliber carbine that has been proven very reliable out to 500 yards and beyond.

Using the appropriate suppressor unit, at x distance you wouldn't even hear the rapport nor see the flash until threat was stopped.

Could have also been a Barrett 50 but those are typically for over 500 and only a rare few train with those rifles. You would have heard it.

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

You can see the puffs of smoke in the bottom left of the video.  They seem to have engaged him from just down (west?) the same block.  I'm surprised he didn't drop like a sack of potatoes.

Yeah, lots to figure out there.  I've seen the US Marshals at many a Federal courthouse.  They have sidearms.  I've never seen anyone -- even in a guard booth or whatnot -- with a long gun.  That said, there are clearly shots coming from the left (seeing the impacts on the courthouse, although man, those shots are WAY WIDE of the target).  So, I'm not even sure if the shots that got him were from shooters inside the courthouse or shooters outside of the courthouse, stationed to the left.

Whatever the case.....the reaction time is incredible.  From the beginning of the incident to the end is maybe a minute?

4 minutes ago, thestud said:

He did. Watch the end of the video

And I did.  He dropped after he ran across the street.  I'm surprised he didn't drop immediately after the shots were fire.  And looking at the shot location he may have been shot through the heart.  

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

spoiler that.

but in the meantime, is directly in the middle of the sternum a good shot?

Yeah, that's the middle of the paper at the gun range.  That's dead-on.  And, umm, looks like whatever his body armor was....it wasn't enough to stop whatever the Feds were shooting.

4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Those puffs appear to be caused by the shooter. He sent a couple rounds into the granite pillar and the puffs are rock debris flying back from the round impacts.

and maybe I can clarify the Pam/Pan issue. He was there to cover a trial, so it’s possible he had his dslr camera on hand, and could possibly have been taking pics with that while on the phone with 911. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

The dude was white. It takes a lot more than having a ton of guns and a mask and vest to make someone suspicious enough to call 911. It's not serious, like minorities having a bbq without a permit.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1