Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

I watched McCona???? Wear a ridiculous but awesome orange suit, a win against fuckou, and then...then watched our players do a lazy dopey don’t-give-a-shit/halfassed horns up/horns wherever/whatever Eyes of Texas/ Fuckitwhateverdog. It was then that I knew Shaka should be done. Fuck that POS. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 1:26 AM, The Golden Hat said:

Apparently we should just take what we get and like it

Maybe because our recruiting rankings have been #8, #6 and #6 in the past three years, Wescott?  Top 15-20 should be a minimum with that kind of talent on our team.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Maybe because our recruiting rankings have been #8, #6 and #6 in the past three years, Wescott?  Top 15-20 should be a minimum with that kind of talent on our team.

And last I checked Shaka's salary was somewhere around #10. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2019 at 6:24 PM, CurlyDumps said:

Who and where are these fans demanding we be a top 15 program?

All over the place. There is a significant (or at least significantly loud) portion of the Texas fanbase who thinks the best 6-year run from Barnes should be the norm rather than the apex of the program.

1 minute ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

All over the place. There is a significant (or at least significantly loud) portion of the Texas fanbase who thinks the best 6-year run from Barnes should be the norm rather than the apex of the program.

I think that most of these people were in HS/college/at UT between ~2001-2008, and being that they were new to closely following the program they expected that to be the norm from there on out. I would hope that most of them realize by now that that's not the case. However, there's no reason we can't be a top 20 program, and that ain't that far off in the first place. if we can be a top flight destination for 15+ straight years then we can certainly aspire to be a top 20 overall program, one that makes the tourney every single year and at its best goes into the second weekend and beyond with regularity. i mean we've already done it once. we were a top 10 or so program for an entire decade. we can do it again. 

On 1/20/2019 at 10:08 AM, closetojumping said:

The Fozzz guy is a fucking beating to read. He’s every bad Internet forum posting trope rolled into one handle. So I put him on ignore. Page 33 with that guy and ztejas on ignore is a jaunty little read. 

Surly.jpg.87963196d97a6e617c99eebf8a50b6

On 1/20/2019 at 8:34 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm torn.  

I really want this team to make the tourney.  Sure they won't go very far, but, for me, March Madness really, really sucks if my school isn't being represented.

OTOH, no way Shaka gets fired if he makes the tourney.  

In a way, it kind of sucks rooting for the team to barely be successful.

For us KU football fans we finally just had to realize that we are going to start completely over and we are going to throw away a season to have the chance to throw away 2-4 more seasons in a rebuild with a new coach.  We protested, we didn't show up, we answer phone calls from the school asking us to donate and we would ask for specific notes to be put on our accounts saying "we will not donate until this AD is fired."

It sucks to have to do that but it has to be done if the smaller donors and the fans that actually go to the games, rather than just write big checks, are going to be heard.  You've got to be ready to cut off your arm to save your body.  Luckily for you guys, basketball is a lot fast of a rebuild than football and a good coach will have you guys in the second weekend his first year in the program.  Unfortunately for you guys, Shaka isn't going anywhere unless the season tanks so badly that CDC determines that the whole AD is going to suffer worse if he is around even one more day.  If CDC determines that the AD is solid and only basketball will suffer for another year then Shaka will be around just to get his buyout down a little more.  Unless someone wants to cut a big check.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:33 AM, Bitterwhiteguy said:

I get that a top 15 program is pretty damn high to expect.Do you think it’s unreaonable to expect a top 25 type-program moving forward? I understand that’s not the History of the program and we will always be a football school, but based on our facilities (KD’s gift + new stadium), proximity to elite talent, exposure, and UT’s reputation as a school, I don’t see any reason why we can’t be a team that routinely is in the top 25 and when we have a year where all the right guys come together, be in the top 15 and other rebuilding years be outside the top 25.

Ultimately, I don’t see any reason why over the next ten years, we couldn’t be in the top 25 teams in the country in terms of average finish in the AP top 25, or Kenpom, or whatever metric you want to use. Based on recruiting rankings since Barnes through current and the salary we’re willing to pay a coach, like we did with shaka, I don’t see why fans shouldn’t expect a top 25 program.

I will say this in regards to fan support, the intimate nature of basketball games with fan proximity to the court means fan support can have a disproportionate impact on games relative to other college sports. Shaka did himself a tremendous disservice by not playing the style he was known for from the absolute jump here on the forty. Anything to get fans excited above and beyond actually winning would've helped.  Playing a style where 4 to 5 guys stand around and chunk up 3s all game isn't all that appealing and certainly doesn't fill the seats when none of them can hit it at a 40% clip. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't think Top 15 program is unreasonable. We've already seen we can get the talent for that.

What's unreasonable is thinking that Top 15 program means you go to the Sweet 16 every single year.

S16 every year is a wet dream for a school that hasn't advanced that far in 10 seasons (3 Shaka, 7 Barnes).

• Like 1

S16 is a great finish for any program.  Even at KU, the only thing that matters to us in march is getting to the second weekend.  You hear a huge sigh of relieve when the first weekend is over.  The second weekend you are either playing a really good team or a really hot team.  Neither of which is fun to play against.  Elite 8 is an awesome accomplishment and what every KU fan really desires to be our floor but is unrealistic because the tourney brings so many unknowns (where you play, who you play, what time you play, hot streaks, cold streaks, inconsistent officiating, shooting in a dome).  Anything above that is gravy.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:26 AM, The Golden Hat said:

Apparently we should just take what we get and like it

I am confused. Why is "fans" in scare quotes. Wanting your team to be good is some sort of uniquely Longhorn thing? Did Tom Penders and Abe Lemons also not have good runs? Are we not getting top recruiting classes? Wouldn't it be logical to mention that when wondering where expectations come from?

Personally I just want a fun team like what we had under Tom Penders before his alcoholism got the best of him. I was not really a big Rick Barnes guy and Shaka's teams seem just as boring as his only not as good.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't think Top 15 program is unreasonable. We've already seen we can get the talent for that.

What's unreasonable is thinking that Top 15 program means you go to the Sweet 16 every single year.

I think fan expectations here are just to make the tournament every year. Or at least that seems to be all the administration ever seemed to worry about.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I think that's always hard at a football dominant school. You should defiantly be in the top 20 every damn year with the talent y'all can muster just in state.

CDC has said "Top 10" or your program is underachieving.

I'm on board with that.

And yes, that hardly means an Elite 8 every year.  It probably means at least one tournament win every year, though, with a good chunk of S16 games and a few beyond.  I don't think anybody expects Texas to run the table.  It would be nice to make another Final Four before I shuffle off this mortal coil.  (Did that rhyme?)

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Is it wrong of me to hope we miss the tournament just to make sure this happens? That's wrong, isn't it?

(I know we aren't making the tournament)

I am shocked another Patterson hire turned out to be crap.

Though I guess it is unfair to compare Shaka to Strong. At least Shaka managed to only have one disastrous season.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why is Beard a pipe dream?

He likes his job in Lubbock and we'd have to put up something like $20M in all just in buyouts. Maybe "pipe dream" is a bit strong but it's not as easy as getting Herman was.

Also, I'm not necessarily convinced that Beard is "the one", though he's better than Shaka, of course.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No. Who gives a fuck anyway?  I don’t care if they rally enough to backdoor into a play-in 11 seed, only to get bounced on Thursday or Friday. I’m not investing anything into this program until he’s gone. 

I find it more likely Shaka is out of here if they fail to make the tournament again. 

This team looks like the basketball version of a Charlie Strong coached team:  low IQ, unmotivated, and under achieving.  Being 10 games below .500 in conference in the past 3.5 years with 3 top 10 recruiting classes is 100% on the coaches. 

31 minutes ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

Texas Longhorns under Shaka Smart:

25-35 in conference, 0-4 @Tcu

Please do the right thing CDC

He beat TCU once.  The Andrew Jones cancer game where the white black dude for TCU bricked the layup at the buzzer

Edited by ClubWhatever
Never mind I see you said @

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd take Dixon over Beard.  I think Dixon could wreck shop in Austin.  I like the way his teams play -- as in "not stupid".

I don't know about that.  His teams were mediocre at best his last few years in Pittsburgh and he can't recruit for shit. Beard is still to be determined,  but I'm highly impressed with what he's done so far at Tech.  They're faltering at the moment but they weren't supposed to do shit this year yet they're battling at the top of the league.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't know about that.  His teams were mediocre at best his last few years in Pittsburgh and he can't recruit for shit. Beard is still to be determined,  but I'm highly impressed with what he's done so far at Tech.  They're faltering at the moment but they weren't supposed to do shit this year yet they're battling at the top of the league.  

Don't want either. 

27 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I like what he teaches and how his teams play, and regardless of PItt's (then) association with the Big East, I think it would be possible to recruit stronger players to Austin.  Whether that's him or a key assistant as the recruiting face, I wouldn't know.  I just know that he seems like a far more capable coach than Shaka.

I like what he teaches and how his teams play, and regardless of PItt's (then) association with the Big East, I think it would be possible to recruit stronger players to Austin.  Whether that's him or a key assistant as the recruiting face, I wouldn't know.  I just know that he seems like a far more capable coach than Shaka.
Shaka shouldn't be your instrument of measurement.

22 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Shaka shouldn't be your instrument of measurement.

Well, that's true.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic