Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Many folks wringing their hands over WR. Losing Duvernay will suck for everyone except for fatkid, I realize. But hell, beyond that, CJ missed half of the season. Burt was pretty much irrelevant. Mehringer was a fucktard that fucktarded his fucktardiness all over the WR unit, so losing him has to be addition by subtraction. Just letting them all play and practice without a coach would be an upgrade. So what has folks worried?

Texas returns, at least as of now:

-Jake Smith - if he doesn't transfer

-Kennedy Lewis

-Troy Omeire - I mean, I wasn't high on him compared to QJ, but we lost QJ, so I'll take the guy

-Kobe Boyce - okay, I don't know what I think here

-Dajon Harrison

-Marcus Washington - if he doesn't transfer

-Jordan Whittington - if he doesn't play TB

-Brennan Eagles

-Joshua Moore - if they allow him to return

-Al'vonte Woodard - if he doesn't transfer

Okay, yeah, now that I'm really thinking about, what in the fuck is Texas doing not locking Dixon up months ago? They need to find a GT somewhere, if possible. Holy shitballs. There is a ton of risk on that list in various ways.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Think Smith and Washington are staying, so that gives you a solid and talented albeit inexperienced starting lineup with those two and Eagles. Pretty shallow after that though 

Spring practices are going to be huge for Lewis and Woodard (finally healthy). 

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Lewis, Woodward, and Moore could be the backups and there’s ability there. 

I think Lewis has a lot of promise, we've heard surprisingly little positive about Woodard and he's entering his third year, and Moore might not even be on the team. Moore coming back would help a lot, as would Lewis coming on. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Many folks wringing their hands over WR. Losing Duvernay will suck for everyone except for fatkid, I realize. But hell, beyond that, CJ missed half of the season. Burt was pretty much irrelevant. Mehringer was a fucktard that fucktarded his fucktardiness all over the WR unit, so losing him has to be addition by subtraction. Just letting them all play and practice without a coach would be an upgrade. So what has folks worried?

-Kennedy Lewis

-Troy Omeire - I mean, I wasn't high on him compared to QJ, but we lost QJ, so I'll take the guy

-Dajon Harrison

-Brennan Eagles

Okay, yeah, now that I'm really thinking about, what in the fuck is Texas doing not locking Dixon up months ago? They need to find a GT somewhere, if possible. Holy shitballs. There is a ton of risk on that list in various ways.

I am assuming any transfer risk on Smith/Washington would be due to homesickness? I know Smith was having some mid season, but once you work through that initial wave most kids are generally ok. You would assume they are already familiar with the current WR coach, so that aspect should be taken out of the equation as well provided he isn't a bigger cunt than Mehringer. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

-Kennedy Lewis

-Dajon Harrison

-Brennan Eagles

giphy.gif

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Lewis has a lot of promise, we've heard surprisingly little positive about Woodard and he's entering his third year, and Moore might not even be on the team. Moore coming back would help a lot, as would Lewis coming on. 

Didn't one of the 9.95ers or maybe @closetojumping say Woodard may get moved to CB? That's the position tosu offered him as iirc 

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

Omeire is physically ready to play as well.  If he picks up the offense reasonably quickly he has a chance to see the field early.

28 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am assuming any transfer risk on Smith/Washington would be due to homesickness? I know Smith was having some mid season, but once you work through that initial wave most kids are generally ok. You would assume they are already familiar with the current WR coach, so that aspect should be taken out of the equation as well provided he isn't a bigger cunt than Mehringer. 

Fud responded a little further up that they look likely to stick, at least through the spring. Which I trust to be more current than my thinking on them. Fud's friends maintain access directly to recruits once they hit campus. My friends do not, typically. Coaches and ops people are a different story. Anyway, hope that helps folks when they see thoughts.

Any OOS kid is always a higher transfer risk as opposed to the locals. 

13 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Didn't one of the 9.95ers or maybe @closetojumping say Woodard may get moved to CB? That's the position tosu offered him as iirc 

It wasn't me. Frankly, after reviewing the WR depth earlier, I'm not sure what the fuck anyone is thinking if Woodard gets moved anywhere else. I don't care if he has hands of stone. They need some depth.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I think Lewis has a lot of promise,...

I agree, but also believe the same for Washington. He has flashed at times. Given the poor (read that like slow as molasses) development of our WRs overall compared to our conference opponents, I'm hopeful that will change under a new OC and position coach. It's also time for Ehlinger to take the next step in seeing the field and delivering the ball on time and target.

Edited by sith_horn

IT - Roster insight

Spoiler

We’ll be getting into 2021 class needs much more deeply but before we do that let’s take inventory of what’s in the pantry. Keep in mind the staff will sign 4-5 more players on NSD2 and needs to be at or below 85 scholarships by August. That will be a breeze.

QB (4): SR Sam Ehlinger, RS SO Casey Thompsn, FR Hudson Card, FR Ja'Quinden Jackson

Comment: Four is a good number but in the portal era things can change in a hurry. Staffs should always evaluate as if they’re taking two quarterbacks in a class just in case.

2021: Katy Tompkins high four-star Jalen Milroe is committed but Texas should keep briefs on other options just in the event the coaches need to expand the class.

RB (6): SR Daniel Young, JR Keaontay Ingram, SO Roschon Johnson, RS FR Jordan Whittington, RS FR Derrian Brown, FR Bijan Robinson

Comment: Six is a strong depth chart but a bit misleading here. We’re confident Johnson will remain at the position — that burst and toughness is the stuff of millionaires — but Jordan Whittington could return to receiver. They may create a hybrid role for him. My kingdom for that. Derrian Brown’s health is still uncertain, though he’s at least leading a normal life after his health issues. There’s an outside chance Texas lands one more RB in the class. Lancaster’s Keontre Bradford is one name to file away. It isn’t a need, though.

2021: Follow the same template as 2020: recruit the best in-state but look nationally. Texas landed the best running back in the nation with this approach. Duplicate it.

WR (8): JR Brennan Eagles, RS JR Kobe Boyce, RS SO Al'vonte Woodard, RS SO Josh Moore*, SO Jake Smith, SO Marcus Washington, RS FR Kennedy Lewis, WR Troy Omeire, WR Dajon Harrison

Comment: They’re low here especially given the unlikelihood Josh Moore returns. Josh is talented so if the story is he was tutoring orphans while his twin brother Jordan was in town playing New Jack City put me on the witness stand. The personnel department will shop the grad transfer market or continue to comb the JUCO ranks like they did last year to find Willie Tyler for offensive line and Juwan Mitchell for linebacker. There’s more talent at the position than there is experience. One or two injuries and it’s bad news. This is foreseeable. If it’s September and injuries are mounting up, save me from ‘the staff did all they could’ takes I had to endure when they were down to one running back this past season.

2021: They need to kill this position in the next class. No ifs, ands, or buts. The staff could regain the commitment of Quaydarius Davis from Skyline and he’s exactly what they need. He’s one of the best in the country. I view JoJo Earle similarly for the slot position. If they can add those two, then go find some lengthy guy who can run, it’ll be a smashing success. While you kick your desk thinking about Quentin Johnston you should kick it again because that’s exactly what they need. Tough loss.

TE/Y (6): SR Cade Brewer, RS JR Reese Leitao, RS SO Malcolm Epps, SO Jared Wiley, RS FR Brayden Liebrock, FR Jaden Hullaby

Comment: More bodies than good options in 2020. The key here is to get Wiley and Liebrock up to speed. It was always curious given his 11 personnel fetish that Herman took two guys who needed time to develop. However, that will eventually pay off. In the meantime they should look for a grad transfer, or move one of the three walk-on turned scholarship linebackers. Remember this position is part fullback.

2021: Texas already holds commitments from Juan Davis (Everman) and Lake McRee (Lake Travis). I’d be curious about Davis’ potential at D-end but that’s neither here nor there at this point.

OL (16): SR Derek Kerstetter, RS SR Denzel Okafor, RS SR Tope Imade, RS JR Sam Cosmi, RS SO Willie Tyler, RS SO Junior Angilau, RS SO Christian Jones, RS SO Rafiti Ghirmai, RS SO Reese Moore, RS FR Isaiah Hookfin, RS FR Tyler Johnson, RS FR Javonne Shepherd, FR Logan Parr, FR Jake Majors, FR Jaylen Garth, FR Andrej Karic

Comment: This is pretty healthy but they’re going to lose Kerstetter and Okafor to graduation and will likely lose Cosmi to the draft.

2021: We’ve known for a very long time that this class sets up well to take quality and quantity. Texas has to land one of the top 2-3 classes in the nation. Herb Hand is off to a solid start with Hayden Conner committed. I view Conner as a guard in college.

DE (7): SR Marqez Bimage, SR Jacoby Jones, JR Jospeh Ossai, RS SO Byron Vaughns, RS FR Peter Mpagi, RS FR Myron Warren, FR Vernon Broughton

Comment: They’re sitting pretty for 2020 and should still add Alfred Collins and Princely Umanmielen for the class. Keep in mind that Collins is very likely an interior player and Princely could outgrow D-end as well. I’m not going to move them just yet.

2021: They need arc-runners and fortunately for Texas those exist in the class. In fact, one absolute stud, Ja’Tavion Sanders (Denton Ryan), is already committed and another, Landon Jackson (Texarkana Pleasant Grove), is high on Texas. Texas is in the mix for some others as well. The scheme shift should help recruiting tremendously. Just in time, too, because the 2021 class doesn’t have the favorable tailwinds the 2020 group did. If it Frank Okam is added to the mix I’ll be curious to see if there are some favorable tweets from prospects.

DT (6): SR Ta'Quon Graham, RS SO Keondre Coburn, RS SO Moro Ojomo, RS SO Daniel Carson, SO T'Vondre Sweat, FR Sawyer Goram-Welch

Comment: They’re deep here and as stated some of the 2020 D-line signees will end up playing inside. This should be a team strength in the coming years.

2021: Good options already exist in DeSoto’s Shemar Turner and some other jumbo defensive ends. Just keep stacking guys with bounce and growth potential.

LB (9): JR Juwan Mitchell, RS JR Cort Jaquess, RS JR Russell Hine, RS SO Ayodele Adeoye, RS SO Luke Brockermeyer, RS FR David Gbenda, RS FR Marcus Tillman, FR Prince Dorbah, FR Jaylan Ford

Comment: This is a lot of bodies given they only play two at a time but keep in mind Jaquess, Hine, and Brockermeyer are former walk-ons. Now, I doubt Texas will “pull” any of the offers but the amount of bodies could be misperceived as “depth” from the outside. Not to demean those players, they earned those scholarships the right way and are not without ability. I’m bullish on the upside of Mitchell, Gbenda, and Tillman, and I think Dele can suffice in the new scheme.

2021: Texas might need to go out-of-state at the position and a bonus could be new linebacker coach Coleman “Hut Hut” Hutzler knowing Will Muschamp’s big board in an area unfamiliar to the staff. If I’m Tom Herman, I deploy Hut Hut to find me “some of those white kids like Clemson has with the curious muscle density of the Bosa brothers.” Texas already has a commitment from New Caney’s Derrick Harris Jr.

DB (10): RS SR Chris Brown, RS JR Josh Thompson, RS JR Montrell Estell, JR BJ Foster, JR Caden Sterns, JR DeMarvion Overshown, SO Chris Adimora, SO Tyler Owens, FR Jerrin Thompson, FR Xavion Alford

Comment: Texas plays a lot of DBs so this needs to be a constantly moving assembly line of development. That assembly line is currently in excellent shape with plenty of showroom quality vehicles.

2021: Texas should be looking nationally for talents like Foster, Sterns, and Overshown. Billy Bowman is close to that class of specimen for the nickel position and could also play receiver if need be. The Denton Ryan baller is committed along with his teammate Ja’Tavion Sanders.

CB (6): JR Jalen Green, JR D'Shawn Jamison, JR Anthony Cook, RS FR Kenyatta Watson, RS FR Marques Caldwell, FR Kitan Crawford

Comment: The first three have the potential to be excellent with another offseason. Watson will also make a jump and should be ready to play should he be needed. Jamison and Watson could also get looks at nickel depending on how it’s deployed. They’ll sign another corner in the class to accompany Crawford.

2021: For the 2021 cycle, land Dallas Kimball’s Ishmael Ibraheem while recruiting others and looking nationally. New cornerbacks coach Jay Valai is already aggressively building relationships.

ST (3): JR Ryan Bujcevski, JR Cameron Dicker, JR Justin Mader

Comment: This is a solid group.

2021: They’re going to have to address special teams one way or another as eligibility ticks off the clock for the current crop. I guess just scout Pro-Kick Australia.

The numbers in parentheses total 81 scholarships. There won’t be many seniors departing after 2020 but there will be more room in the 2021 class than you might think, especially if Texas excels on the field.

There will be attrition, there always is.

Follow up comments include:

The WR room is pretty stable, no impactful transfers expected, Boyce is the only player expected to switch sides of the ball, still expecting one of Foster/Overshown to come down to LB but nothing set in stone

• Like 3

Roach had a bit of a slip at the end of his podcast said “if everything goes to plan like he told me it is, I’ll be at Collins NSD2 announcement in Bastrop”

also they are getting a new staff member at 247, hope he can move Roachs mouth away from the mic

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Didn't a 995er say Moore was likely returning? Anyone remember that or who said it?

Edited by KYHorn

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Roach had a bit of a slip at the end of his podcast said “if everything goes <deep breath> to plan like he told me it is, <huff huff> I’ll be at Collins NSD2 announcement in Bastrop <loud nose breathing>”

also they are getting a new staff member at 247, hope he can move Roachs mouth away from the mic

fify

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

Didn't a 995er say Moore was likely returning? Anyone remember that or who said it?

No clue but it was probably "Moore is putting himself in the best position to return and the coaches are noticing but he has a lot to overcome in regaining a spot on the team. Still quite a bit of decisions and movement that could occur here, but I don't see it out of the possibility that Moore could possibly return to football maybe with the Longhorn Football team, perhaps."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

It means he's about to have the best season of any running back in college football history... for the Texas Longhorns.

Ricky and Earl (and D'Onte!) had some pretty great seasons, but he would have to put up about 3400 yards in 14 games to best what Barry Sanders did in 1988. 

19 minutes ago, MoJames said:

No clue but it was probably "Moore is putting himself in the best position to return and the coaches are noticing but he has a lot to overcome in regaining a spot on the team. Still quite a bit of decisions and movement that could occur here, but I don't see it out of the possibility that Moore could possibly return to football maybe with the Longhorn Football team, perhaps."

This is a very complicated case, Surly.  You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in the old 9.95er’s head. 

21 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I said he had a good shot of coming back and people should stop writing him off. Herman helped Leitao get a plea down and (somewhat) quietly got him into UT. Herman has been allowed to keep Casey Horny on staff. He just interviewed Tosh Lupoi. This isn't the same old program from the perspective of viewing itself as lily white. They like Moore. He can play at a high level. If there's a way that the criminal findings can be diminished in some way that enables a justification for keeping his dumb ass, they will. Oh, and he's been suspended for a year because of the issue, so they won't even have to further suspend him afterwards. 

That all considered, they're not going to welcome an armed felon back into the program's good graces. 

• Like 1