Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

If Yrrrrrcich really wants Coleman, then I'm good with Andre as the new WR coach.

For me Coleman has similar coaching talent as Tyron Carrier or Emmett Jones.... but according to Surly, Jones would crush recruiting in DFW if he was an assistant coach at Texas.I

It would be concerning if both Carrier and Jones told Mensa that they weren't interested in the WR coaching job at Texas.  Still hoping the Horns add great new assistant hires at LB/DL/TE and if necessary RB coach.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...  https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Steve-Wiltfong-10028/UserPlayerRankings/

Steve Wiltfong's Five Stars

#28   Bijan Robinson Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ).  RB

6-0 / 200   0.9930

#14   Alfred Collins.   Cedar Creek (Bastrop, TX)   SDE
6-5 / 275     0.9663

Nice try but this is the shit on TH board.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, campcrunk said:

I'm not sure if Herman has reached a John-Mackovic-Hiring-Bobby-Jack-Wright level of saying "fuck you" to the fans (and big money), but it does seem like he's getting closer and closer with every hire.

Bobby Jack Wright is currently the AD at Victoria ISD.

That amuses me for some reason.

• Like 1

Hurst Euless and Bedford are indistinguishable. Even if you live in one of them. Colleyville much more akin to Southlake than the others you named
As someone who used to live in the area, this is true..they all blend

Having said that, Euless stands out for their somewhat sizeable poly population.

54 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

No idea if this is recruiting related, but Oscar Giles started following this very low rated offensive line recruit that is committed to Southern Miss. According to the recruits Twitter he is actually a defensive tackle and recently got offered by Missouri. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Dylan-Spencer-46086511/

Oooo Madison. Nicest town outside of Oxford in the state. 

1 hour ago, rvm96 said:

No idea if this is recruiting related, but Oscar Giles started following this very low rated offensive line recruit that is committed to Southern Miss. According to the recruits Twitter he is actually a defensive tackle and recently got offered by Missouri. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Dylan-Spencer-46086511/

That’s going to drag the average down. 

(Mike Roach) The Lowdown: Sources sound off on Jay Valai's recruiting ability

Horns247's Chip Brown and Jeff Howe reported last night that Jay Valai would be the next cornerback coach at Texas. As the Longhorns re-build most of their defensive staff, they will also have to replace strong recruiting ability. Former cornerbacks coach Jason Washington was one of the top recruiters on the Texas staff, and he proved it by winning 247Sports’ Big 12 Recruiter of the Year award in 2018.

Valai will have big shoes to fill in order to make the impact Washington did on campus, but sources tell Horns247 that Valai is up to the task. A former cornerback at Colleyville (Tx.) Heritage, Valai used his ties to Texas to establish himself as a strong recruiter following his playing career at Wisconsin. Prior to his time at Rutgers under Chris Ash, Valai served as a defensive quality-control coach for the Kansas City Chiefs and Georgia Bulldogs. Prior to his stint at Georgia, Valai was worked as a performance trainer.

So, what’s the word on Valai as a recruiter? He hasn’t had much of a chance to recruit at the highest levels, but the early returns on him sound positive. Sources at Georgia told me Valai was known as a hard worker and a plus recruiter even though he’s in an off-field role. Valai was a big reason the Bulldogs were able to make some noise in Texas over the last few years.

According to the source I spoke with, Valai was pivotal in the recruitments of Tommy Bush, Lewis Cine, and Rian Davis. Not only was Valai responsible for making the first contact with a number of Texas prospects, but it was also stressed that he was incredibly successful in getting those kids to campus. While that might sound like a small benchmark, getting out of state recruits to make multiple unofficial visits is a tall task.

I spoke to the father of a recruit Valai was in communication with who told me, “Jay treated us like family. He didn’t bs us. He’s highly intelligent, and his football knowledge is off the charts. What really stuck out is his passion and ability to bond with his players.” I was also able to reach a current college football player that was formerly a top recruit being courted by Valai at Georgia.

"Coach Jay is like family," he said.  "He's like a big brother to me.  To see him get this opportunity is just a testament to his hard work.  I couldn't be happier for him and his family.  He's going to be determined to bring the right guys in and he's as honest of a coach as you can find nowadays." One SEC source with knowledge of Valai that I contacted also spoke highly of him. “He’s a really personable and likable guy. One of the hardest workers I’ve ever been around.”

Valai will have a steep learning curve on the field at Texas, but the early indications show he has the ability to become a plus recruiter.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From TFLoss.

Per OrangeBloods, CB Ennis Rakestraw of Duncanville will use his last two officials on Georgia and Texas.

The UT staff is expected to go by his high school on Friday once the current dead period ends.

It'll be interesting to see how the visit dates shake out. The last weekend for OVs is the 31st and he's doing Mizzou and Bama the two weekends prior. He has said UGA will get the last visit and Such made it sound like our visit will also be in the last week. Also Rakestraw has said he might just commit on the spot during a visit if it feels right so getting the last one may not be as important here. 

45 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It'll be interesting to see how the visit dates shake out. The last weekend for OVs is the 31st and he's doing Mizzou and Bama the two weekends prior. He has said UGA will get the last visit and Such made it sound like our visit will also be in the last week. Also Rakestraw has said he might just commit on the spot during a visit if it feels right so getting the last one may not be as important here. 

Bama should be the one to watch since it's his dream school

14 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Mike Roach) The Lowdown: Sources sound off on Jay Valai's recruiting ability

. Valai was a big reason the Bulldogs were able to make some noise in Texas over the last few years.

and

According to the source I spoke with, Valai was pivotal in the recruitments of Tommy Bush, Lewis Cine, and Rian Davis.

the larger issue is that one of those dudes are "from" Texas or spent a ton of time in Texas.

Cine was in Texas for like 1 year

Davis left Texas either as a soph or jr

i know it is Mike, but come on.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:59 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not to mention that he plays for Duncanville - a school recruited by every college coach in the country - and his offers only started coming in a couple of weeks ago (Alabama offered 3 days ago).

Exactly, he is a second cycle blue chip. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

Yes, and if you read the article it's praising Dallas for finally not being a good food wasteland and finally getting some restaurant diversity. Dallas is far from being a foodie destination. They're US Soccer in 1994.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

IT Scoop

Spoiler

We're talking coaching news and notes, 2020 defensive back targets, new names to know headed to the ATX this weekend, and quotes from Savion Byrd and Kelvontay Dixon in Monday's Scoop. Read up.

STAFF SHAKE-UP

The only signed and confirmed hires thus far are defensive coordinator Chris Ash and offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich. With that in mind, let's take a look at the names to know by each position.

WR: Andre Coleman is receiving a favorable internal push from the players. Herman not only has an idea of what Coleman adds off the field in the meeting rooms but also on the field thanks to his audition during bowl practices. One receiver was overheard to say, "I learned more in a few practices with Coleman than all my time with Mehringer." That's a common refrain and certainly not true, but it is a good indicator for Coleman. The big question regarding Coleman is recruiting ability. Texas has to hit big at receiver this cycle. Not do well, or find good back-up options, but knock it out of the park. Coleman is an unknown as a recruiter. That isn't to say he'll be deficient. Wearing a Texas polo versus K-State tends to open more doors, but good isn't good enough on the recruiting trail this cycle. Texas needs to take advantage of the big arms it has coming down the turnpike. Things seems to have gone quiet between Texas and other candidates.

TE: No idea. I don't think David Beaty's situation with Kansas is resolved yet or will be in the next month or two. He would make a lot of sense as I think emphasis on Dallas is key for the cycle. Normally I downplay that but I can't emphasize enough how aggressive this staff needs to be on the recruiting trail. For now, it's wise to just keep Coach Carrington on the road.

DL: Former Longhorn defensive tackle Frank Okam is still a name we're hearing to complement Oscar Giles but we're not sure who else is a candidate. Ash has also shown interest in Charlie Partridge and before that, Elijah Robinson at A&M. Those two are off the table. We expect Okam to interview this week but we've also heard he has other interviews lined up. Rhule hired a DL coach for the Panthers. James Lynch just declared for the NFL Draft. These are positive signs for Texas and Okam, imo, but I don't want fans thinking he's a slam dunk. Okam has the potential to be a big-time recruiter. He's smart and also up front. If Texas wasn't already looking good for Alfred Collins hiring Okam would have swung that recruitment back in UT's favor.

LB: Former North Carolina State defensive coordinator Dave Huxtable is a name we've heard for the linebacker opening. Huxtable worked with Ash at Wisconsin. He's an old salt, and perhaps exactly what the position needs given youth and a potential position change or two. Over in the moderator only thread this morning I mentioned Kevin Kane's name has gone from speculation to realistic. The SMU DC/LB has worked with Ash before and thinks very highly of the new Texas defensive coordinator.

CB: Jay Valai hasn't been announced but all signs point towards him being the cornerbacks coach and he's already working the phones behind the scenes. He's thought of very highly in trainer circles and it should come as no surprise they want to see him succeed. That's good for them on par with high school coaches wanting to see Jeff Traylor or Joey McGuire do well in college. It opens doors. I think Valai has what it takes to become an excellent recruiter but he's going to have to hit the ground running. This is the type of hire other schools will negative recruit the hell out of. While Valai will have the title of cornerbacks coach, that room will be under Ash's charge. Having one voice in the secondary will probably be a good thing. Too often we've seen breakdowns between corners and safeties.

More on Valai:

I caught up with Clay Mack, one of the OGs of the trainer guild. I've been talking to Mack since 2012 and while some trainers have given the profession a questionable rep, Mack just wants to train players whether they're in junior high, high school, college or the pros.

Mack stated that Valai will have very favorable tailwinds when recruiting in North Texas. "Whether it's talking to me, Margin Hooks, Flight, Kevin Mathis, or Deion (Sanders) he's going to have all the information he needs. Nobody is going to steer players to Texas but we know Jay and can say positive things about him."

"He's smart, high IQ, and a great communicator. A lot of guys are smart but can't get their point across. Jay is a great communicator. He also knows the technical side. Sometimes you talk to a guy about technique but after a few minutes you can tell they really don't know what they're talking about. That's not the case with Jay. He's a good technical coach, that's what he did."

Mack backed up my notion that people in his field want to see him succeed at Texas, "but, I wanted him to succeed whether he was at Rutgers or Georgia. I want to see him succeed anywhere."

After talking to Mack it became a little more obvious why Chris Ash not only hired Valai to Texas but also hired him initially to Rutgers.

2020 CB RECRUITING

Texas offered Ennis Rakestraw over the weekend. The Duncanville athlete made a name for himself over the course of the playoffs. In addition to the UT offer, he's picked up Alabama, Georgia, Miami, and South Carolina. While we've received favorable info over his thoughts on Texas, we've also heard Alabama will be tough to beat if they push. As those who have been following recruiting closely this last half-decade, an offer from Alabama isn't always committable. For many it's just a ticket to get in line.

"It's been crazy," said Rakestraw. "Just hard work paying off."

It looks like he has three OVs remaining and he wants to see Tuscaloosa, Athens, and Austin. He's yet to schedule these trips, but should have a better idea over the next few days. For now, UT's offer was a pleasant surprise.

"(Ja'Quinden) has been texting me ever since the offer," Rakestraw said. "There's a high chance I visit Texas before signing day. I love the culture and the brotherhood within the team."

If Texas can't land Rakestraw, another candidate who I like just as much is Edric Whitley from Pflugerville Weiss. How could I not like him; he has my name just with more 'd' in it.

Like Rakestraw, Whitley is a late bloomer who is seeing his value rise in the absence of options for many schools. He's picked up Miami and Ole Miss recently and intends to take official visits to each.

He's had initial contact with Texas but so far that's it. He's also hearing from Georgia, Boise State, Baylor, and Arizona State. You might notice that many of the schools after Rakestraw are starting to show interest in Whitley as well.

If UT doesn't offer Whitley it's safe to assume the new staff likes its position with Rakestraw. I'd offer Whitley to try and ensure you land one of he and Rakestraw.

Isaiah Dunson from Tucker, Georgia is another name to watch. He's not as fluid as Rakestraw or Whitley but he's much bigger and I think he'd be fine in a scheme that presses its corners. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound former Florida State commit will take his official to Texas on January 24, hosted by fellow Georgia native Kenyatta Watson II. If UT pushes ever so slightly, they'll have the best shot.

BYRD'S THE WORD

Texas has to hit big on the 2021 offensive line and fortunately there are more quality prospects than ever before. Despite playing defensive line this season, Duncanville's Savion Byrd is one of the better known o-linemen in the class.

With some help from Irish Sports Daily's Christian McCollum, here's the latest.

As you know, Byrd's process is barely beginning.

Fall Visits:
“I went to Texas versus LSU and that’s it.”

Future Visits:
“Oklahoma, LSU, Notre Dame, Florida, all types of schools. I know Oklahoma is for sure, LSU for sure. I might go back down to Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech.”

Top Schools:
“Not yet.”

Most Communication:
“I talked to Coach (James) Cregg from LSU the most.”

Cregg’s Message:
"‘We need you and we want you,’ that’s basically what they’ve been saying and, ‘A big player deserves to be in the big games.’”

[LSU recruits more aggressively than anyone in the region]

LSU :
“The team, they have a behavior, it’s aggressive. You can tell that’s how they get along. You can tell it’s a family over there.”

SMU:
“SMU’s pitch is just Dallas to Dallas, staying home.”

[Ra'Shaad Samples gives them a chance]

In State Schools
“Texas and Texas A&M.”

Texas:
“This recruiting class for the offensive line is really good. I know a few, I met up with some at the Auburn vs. Oregon game like Tommy Brockermeyer."

"Texas, I like their program. I’ve been there a couple times. You can tell the relationships with the coaches is really well. They push each other hard.”

Texas A&M:
“A&M said they’re going to start to hit me up a little more. They just recently got my number.”

OU:
“I loved the Oklahoma offense this year and I could see myself playing there.”

Decision Timeline:
“A perfect world would be me taking all of my visits and committing in midseason.”

Dream School As A Kid:
“My favorite school was the University of Miami, just their defense growing up as a kid.”

Key Factors:
“I want to make sure that I have a good relationship with the coaches.”

DIXON DOWN TO THREE

Carthage's multi-purpose athlete Kelvontay Dixon is weeks from signing with his future program. The 2020 prospect finally sat down and setup his official visits with a little over three weeks until NSD2.

He'll see Arkansas this weekend (1/17-18), UTSA next weekend (1/24/25), and Texas the last weekend (1/31-2/1). But I think it'll come down to playing early and often in San Antonio or joining his family in Austin.

With the Razorbacks, I think it's a genuine courtesy. I don't see them winning this. In UTSA, he has a great relationship with new HC Jeff Traylor and an opportunity to forge his own path, something that's possible for the individualist. In Texas, he has everything else.

"The recruiting process has gotten tougher, to be honest," Dixon said. "Texas, Florida, Houston, and UTSA hit me up the most."

Seeing the Roadrunners in a recruiting battle with P5s is a different sight but it's really the connection to an east Texas coach. He pledged to the Hogs last summer because of the bond with Traylor.

"It means a lot coming from Arkansas to UTSA," said Dixon. "If you ask me, I think (Traylor) can really turn the program around. UTSA has a good shot."

As for Texas, there isn't a school he's more familiar with. From watching Stan Drayton recruit his brother, Keaontay Ingram, to attending over a dozen UT football games over the last two years, his comfort level is high on the Forty Acres.

"I hear from Texas every few days," Dixon said. "I talk to coach (Andre) Coleman the most. He's actually a nice dude. He'll tell you what it is and what it isn't. I like him."

Dixon fits the H role on offense, but has the athleticism to play on either side of the ball. With UT getting that last official, I'd still lean Longhorns.

NEW NAMES FOR ELITE DAY

We added a few new prospects headed to Austin this Saturday in the Elite Day thread. Notables include:

LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair. The 2021 four-star RB is a guy Texas has been on since last summer. At the SFA Mega camp, Johnson opened eyes with his size and speed. LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Stanford are among his 20+ offers. UT has to hit on him or Camar Wheaton in this cycle.

Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball. One of the state's top corners, the 2021 four-star always had the Horns high on his list, mainly from his relationship with former CB coach Jason Washington. With Jay Valai being a DFW guy, that relationship needs to begin, if it hasn't already.

Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie. Remember the name. The 6-foot-4, 265-pound sophomore is a load. Run-blocking, pass-blocking, it doesn't matter; he's got it. Texas, Florida State, Kansas, and Houston are the early offers. There will be more, so this is the time to build that foundation.

• Like 2

Stampede

Spoiler

The dead period lifts on January 16th, and Texas will open the final recruiting stretch with a massive visit weekend. Texas coaches can hit the road on Thursday, and visitors will begin making their way to Austin this weekend.  The Longhorns are still in the process of a coaching search, and despite a few reported hires, no assistant coaches have been officially announced.

As the Texas staff continues to come together and fill the open holes, this weekend’s visit will be a huge meet and greet event with the staff. Texas will try to get ahead with the priority 2021 and 2022 targets on the board. Over the weekend, we were able to gather some notes on multiple prospects within the 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes in order to ascertain where Texas stands in their respective recruitments.  The recruiting machine will power back on this week, and it should be working overtime until February's signing day.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we’ll update where things stand with several prospects on the 2020 board and take a look ahead to 2021 and the massive recruiting opportunity this weekend.

(Photo: 247Sports)
Matt Rhule leaving for the NFL could be a positive for Texas and their defensive line recruiting moving forward. A source I spoke with near Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins informed me that Rhule leaving Baylor is as close to a death knell for the Bears as there is. Baylor was in the mix along with Alabama and Oklahoma, and it would seem that there are now three for Collins. If Texas were to hire Baylor defensive tackle coach Frank Okam, it would only weaken Baylor more while strengthening Texas. Collins is still set to make a decision on signing day in February, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him back at Texas for an unofficial visit.

(Photo: 247Sports)
Rhule’s departure could also impact Manor defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen, but Texas has some work to do there. The former Longhorn commit is a target that Chris Ash is keen on acquiring, but it sounds like the interest wasn’t immediately reciprocated. As Texas works to get back into that race, they will have to get him back on campus for an unofficial visit. Florida is scheduled to receive a visit from Umanmielen on the 24th, and he would still have a fifth official visit to use elsewhere. I don’t have a clear picture regarding where Umanmielen is leaning at this point.

(Photo: Rusty Mansell, 247Sports)
Tucker (Ga.) cornerback Isaiah Dunson locked in his official visit to Texas and he informed Horns247 he’d be in town on January 24th. Expect Dunson to be hosted by Kenyatta Watson as the Longhorns utilize one Georgia cornerback to reel in another. Dunson’s visit could also provide an opportunity to see reported cornerback coach Jay Valai in action on the recruiting front.  I'm still checking with Dunson to see what schools will provide the most opposition, but Texas has a chance to secure another big corner from Georgia.

(Photo: Dallas Morning News)

Speaking of cornerback targets, Texas offered Duncanville cornerback Ennis Rakestraw. Rakestraw’s stock shot through the roof during the playoffs following several impressive performances this year. Rakestraw has three official visits set running up to signing day, so any visit to Texas would need to be a mid-week. Rakestraw told me he would talk to Texas to find out when he can fit the visit within his schedule. Sources near Rakestraw told me that Texas was an offer he’d been waiting on for some time, and sources in Austin feel optimistic on their chances. Still, they will have to withstand a whirlwind of recruiting visits, and Rakestraw called Alabama his dream school when the Crimson Tide offered. I’d expect Ja’Quinden Jackson to be involved as much as possible, and I’m told this will be a priority for the staff.

Kevontre Bradford
(Photo: Gabe Brooks, 247Sports)

I spoke to several sources near Lancaster running back Kevontre Bradford, and it seems that Texas still has some work to do. An LSU source indicated to me that Bradford was a huge priority for the Tigers, and Oklahoma State appears to be a big darkhorse. Texas will need to not only get Bradford on campus, but they will also have to flip the perception once they do. If Texas can’t land Bradford, they will either have to scramble to identify another running back or go without a second option.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
I spoke at length with Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis over the weekend. You may have recently seen some pro-Texas activity on his social media lately, and Davis wasn’t shy about letting me know that Texas is still high up for him. How high is it? Davis told me on the record that Texas was still the leader in his recruitment despite his decommitment. Davis has been in contact with Texas head coach Tom Herman, and he recently had a child. Davis told me he called Herman last week to let him know that there was a new Longhorn in the family. Davis will likely try to stay close to home to care for his daughter, so Texas looks to be in a great position now. Davis also told me he admired Jalen Milroe as a quarterback and that he wanted to go to school with a guy he could trust to get him the ball. I’d expect Davis to stretch things out over the year and announce on signing day next December, but anything could change with the way his recruitment has played out so far.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
In December I was told the contact between Texas and 2021 Kennedale safety JD Coffey went cold. Coffey told me last week that he hadn’t heard from Texas in a while, but Chris Ash reached out this week to invite him into town. Coffey said that Notre Dame and Stanford have been the schools with the heaviest contact, but this is a race Texas can win if they push for the DFW ara safety hard enough.

Ishmael Ibraheem
2021 CB Ishmael Ibraheem (Photo: Gabe Brooks, 247Sports)

2021 cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem is a name you’ll want to be familiar with. The Dallas Kimball prospect is one of the top cover corners in the state, and he will have the chance to be rated as one of the top players in the state of Texas. Ibraheem had a great relationship with Jason Washington, and he admitted that Texas would drop in his recruitment if Washington wasn’t retained. Ibraheem told me this weekend that he will visit Texas on the 18th, and he’s interested in meeting the new defensive staff before he decides where anything stands.

(Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)
In case you missed it, Texas missed the top five cut for 2021 Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle this week. The Longhorns were one of the first to offer Earle, and Texas held the edge for a long time. In fact, sources indicated that Earle was close to committing to Texas during the fall. Staff turnover and uncertainty around the program caused Texas to drop out of the top group, and they were replaced by an Oklahoma program that offered this week. The good thing for Texas is, the state is heavy on slot receivers in 2021 with plenty of quality options. I’m sure the Longhorns will try to get back in the race for Earle, but as for now it appears, they are on the outside looking in.

2022 Bowie OL Devon Campbell (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

COMMENTS
Perhaps the biggest priority for Texas this weekend will be to re-establish some position with Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer. It’s no secret that Texas allowed other schools in their recruitment to catch up over the last few months. They aren’t going to be the type of family to be swayed over one visit, but Texas can begin building some positive momentum to hold off the SEC programs that made their way into the recruitment.

I had the chance to spend some time with 2022 Arlington Bowie OL Devon Campbell this weekend. Texas offered him very early, and Campbell said he talks with Herb Hand as much as is allowed by NCAA rules. Campbell said he can tell by the attention that Texas is extremely high on him, and right now he’s not thinking of many other schools. Florida State offered yesterday, and he’s likely to pick up a ton of other offers during the spring, but Texas has a chance to open up a big lead this weekend when Campbell visits.

• Like 1