-

-

Iowa State

-

-

Northwestern

-

-

The media's predictions for the 2019 college football season are out. Sporting News' are, too. Preseason polls are next, starting with the Coaches Poll from Thursday and the AP Top 25 on Aug. 19.

You might think those polls don't mean anything, but the predictions give some good clues for how the College Football Playoff picture might turn out.

Sporting News looked at the preseason polls for each of the Power 5 conferences, checked those notes against ours and pieced together what those Playoff semifinals might look like on Dec. 28 at the Peach Bowl and Fiesta Bowl.

Here's a closer look:

ACC

Media prediction: Clemson over Virginia
SN prediction: Clemson over Virginia

Clemson's a safe bet to hold up its end of the bargain - unless Syracuse gets in the way. The Tigers have more than enough talent around preseason All-American Trevor Lawrence to get back to Charlotte for the championship game, and they've won the last four ACC championship games by an average of 22 points per game. Virginia would be the seventh different team to win the ACC Coastal Division in the last seven years, but hasn't won the ACC crown since 1995.

Big 12

Media prediction: Oklahoma over Texas
SN prediction: Oklahoma over Texas

Iowa State and TCU are the next best bets to get in the way of a Red River championship, but we're confident the Sooners and Longhorns will rematch in the Big 12 championship game. There's some differentiation from there. The media poll favors Oklahoma by a wide margin. The Sooners had a 68-9 advantage in first-place votes. SN contributor John Hoover likes Oklahoma to win the Big 12, but I went with Texas in our bowl projections. The Red River Showdown is back, and it's a good bet one or the other will make the College Football Playoff.

big Ten

Media prediction: Michigan over Nebraska
SN prediction: Ohio State over Wisconsin

It will be either Ohio State/Michigan vs. Nebraska/Wisconsin in the Big Ten championship - unless Penn State, Michigan State, Northwestern or Iowa catches lightning again (all have done that in the Playoff era). Nebraska hosts Ohio State on Sept. 28, and the Badgers face the Wolverines and Buckeyes this season. The Big Ten West is wide open, but we still feel like the Big Ten East will come down to the Nov. 30 showdown between Ohio State and Michigan in Ann Arbor. Both teams were 10-1 in that game in 2016 and '18. That's the required buy-in for a shot at a Big Ten championship - and perhaps a Playoff berth, the conference's first since 2016.

Pac-12

Media prediction: Utah over Oregon
SN prediction: Oregon over Utah

Washington has won two of the last three Pac-12 championships, but is absent from both media and SN predictions. Oregon and Utah are among the potential Playoff crashers in the Pac-12, and the Ducks can increase their chances by beating Auburn at Jerry World in the opener. The Utes travel to BYU, USC and Washington this season. Speaking of which, don't dismiss Washington or Washington State this season (though we admit the Cougars must prove they can win the Apple Cup before we can make that call). Can a one-loss Pac-12 champion get in the Playoff? We're about to find out.

SEC

Media poll: Alabama over Georgia
SN prediction: Alabama over Georgia

LSU was the only other team to pick up multiple votes to win the SEC West in the media poll; the Tigers finished with five. The SEC also placed six teams in the top 15 of SN's preseason top 25, but you won't find too many true Playoff contenders after that. It comes down to three questions: Will Georgia and Alabama be undefeated in Atlanta for the SEC championship game? Can the Bulldogs finally beat Alabama? And could the Crimson Tide make the Playoff without a conference title? The SEC is the only conference that can get two Playoff teams in, other than the Big Ten - if the chips fell right for Ohio State and Michigan.

Predicting the 2019 College Football Playoff

With that information in hand, it's on to the four-team Playoff. No Group of 5 team will make it this year - not with the knowledge UCF's 25-game win streak wasn't enough to crack it. Notre Dame has road games at Georgia, Michigan and Stanford, and Army will get a chance to make a splash against Michigan. We'll keep the Irish in the discussion knowing it would be difficult for them to get in with one loss and no conference championship game. It's always going to be that way.

We still think this year's Playoff will come from the Power 5 conferences. Again, it comes down to three questions:
- Will the Pac-12 get a playoff team? We'll say neither Utah nor Oregon can get out of the Pac-12 grind without two losses.
- Will the SEC get two playoff teams? We love Georgia, but we think they lose one regular-season game before the SEC championship against Alabama. LSU would also have an interesting case if it had an 11-1 record with the only loss at Alabama.
- Who wins the Big 12? Flip a coin: Oklahoma or Texas.

Our Playoff field is Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Texas. Yeah, Texas is back. Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame and the Pac-12 champion could crash the party as well.

If it's somebody other than those teams, then we'll know it was a fun 150th season of college football.

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

I love that UGA gets its shit handed to them in the Sugar and ends the year higher ranked, then starts the next year at three.  

Maybe love is the wrong word.

Do you even secsecsec, bro?

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Man I hope Petersen keeps Oregon at bay. He and UDub are so much more enjoyable than Cristobal and NikeU.

People forget it’s the Cougs who have been keeping Oregon and Utah at bay. They’ve won 4 straight against both.  Now; if only they can ever figure the whole Apple Cup thing out...

Why does it feel like the other four power 5 conferences are gonna be fighting the narrative that the SEC deserves 2 teams in the playoff every year? I know the coaches and AP polls aren't supposed to have any bearing on the Playoff polls, but I'm sure they do to some extent. 

4 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Why does it feel like the other four power 5 conferences are gonna be fighting the narrative that the SEC deserves 2 teams in the playoff every year? I know the coaches and AP polls aren't supposed to have any bearing on the Playoff polls, but I'm sure they do to some extent. 

As long as the final keeps being Bama vs Clemson/SEC#2 it won't change. Another team that isn't the Tigers has to advance.

18 minutes ago, SDG said:

People forget it’s the Cougs who have been keeping Oregon and Utah at bay. They’ve won 4 straight against both.  Now; if only they can ever figure the whole Apple Cup thing out...

over in bruin's pac thread i posted the pac ccg box score.  utah and washington managed zero offensive touchdowns.  with defenses that are not sec-ready.  top 5 all time shit-show i've witnessed.  oregon, utah and washington play a grand total of 1 legit game OOC.

oregon: barn, nevada, montana

utah: brethren, romoU, potato state

dogs: eastern washington, hawaii, brethren

for the PAC to make the playoff, duck has to beat barn at the deathstar, go undefeated, and have barn hang around in the sec west race until the iron bowl.  utah and washington should be embargoed from the top 25 until they score 5 touchdowns in 5 consecutive games as punishment for that abortion they gave us back in december.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

over in bruin's pac thread i posted the pac ccg box score.  utah and washington managed zero offensive touchdowns.  with defenses that are not sec-ready.  top 5 all time shit-show i've witnessed.  oregon, utah and washington play a grand total of 1 legit game OOC.

for the PAC to make the playoff, duck has to beat barn at the deathstar, go undefeated, and have barn hang around in the sec west race until the iron bowl.  utah and washington should be embargoed from the top 25 until they score 5 touchdowns in 5 consecutive games as punishment for that abortion they gave us back in december.

My response had nothing to do with the playoff; FTR, I don’t believe the PAC makes it for the reasons you pointed out.  I was responding to a post about Washington keeping Oregon at bay when it’s been the Cougs that Oregon hasn’t been able to beat.  I added Utah because they are getting so much preseason P12 hype but they also can’t seem to beat the Cougs.  

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Might as well toss Oregon in there as well then, after that scintillating 7-6 bowl game where they and Heisman hopeful Herbert barely managed 200 yards of total offense against Michigan State.

1 hour ago, SDG said:

U completely missed the point of the post you quoted...

No I didn't. You were expressing an opinion developed from a lifetime of only playing your rival once a year. (Something instrumental to a true rivalry.) Things have changed. Chances are good that, more often than not, Texas and Oklahoma will play each other twice a year for the foreseeable future. Suppose in the next five years Texas goes 5-5 against OU with five hats and no championships or playoff berths. Will you still trumpet the hat? I get it, of course you will, but no one else in the college football world will. The outcome of the regular season matchup will be diminished. 

We're only one year into this experiment where the Big 12 championship will always be decided by a rematch of two teams who played each other in the regular season. Whenever the rematch yields a 2-0 winner it will make the result seem irrelevant, and whenever the loser of the first game wins the rematch, and the championship, it will invalidate the result of the regular season game. Carry that on long enough and younger fans will stop caring as much about the regular season matchup. I'd guess we're about two more years of a UT-OU rematch in the B12 CCG away from no one else in the college football world caring about the Red River Shootout Rivalry. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Could you maybe use real team names?  

oregon = phil knight

barn = auburn

nevada = wolfpack

montana = grizz

utah = the university of deseret

brethren = the brethren

romoU = northen illinois university

potato state = idaho state

dogs = washington

eastern washington = red field

hawaii = rainbow warriors

brethren = the brethren

bonus: red field

roos3.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No I didn't. You were expressing an opinion developed from a lifetime of only playing your rival once a year. (Something instrumental to a true rivalry.) Things have changed. Chances are good that, more often than not, Texas and Oklahoma will play each other twice a year for the foreseeable future. Suppose in the next five years Texas goes 5-5 against OU with five hats and no championships or playoff berths. Will you still trumpet the hat? I get it, of course you will, but no one else in the college football world will. The outcome of the regular season matchup will be diminished. 

We're only one year into this experiment where the Big 12 championship will always be decided by a rematch of two teams who played each other in the regular season. Whenever the rematch yields a 2-0 winner it will make the result seem irrelevant, and whenever the loser of the first game wins the rematch, and the championship, it will invalidate the result of the regular season game. Carry that on long enough and younger fans will stop caring as much about the regular season matchup. I'd guess we're about two more years of a UT-OU rematch in the B12 CCG away from no one else in the college football world caring about the Red River Shootout Rivalry. 

f the big 12

• 11 months later...

2020 Coaches Poll released

1. Clemson (38 1st place)

2. Ohio State (17)

3. Alabama (4)

4. Georgia

5. LSU (6)

6. ou

7. Penn State

8. Florida

9. Oregon

10. Notre Dame

11. Auburn

12. Wisconsin

13. aggy

14. TEXAS

15. Michigan

16. OK State

17. Southern Cal

18. Minnesota

19. North Carolina

20. Utah

21. UCF

22. Cincinnati

23. Iowa

24. Virginia Tech

25. Iowa State

Votes for: Baylor (66), TCU (7), SMU (3), KSU (1)