18. Michigan State

19. Wisconsin

20. Iowa

21. Iowa State

22. Syracuse

23. Washington State

24. Nebraska

25. Stanford

Others receiving votes: Missouri 117, Army 94, Mississippi State 87, Miami (FL) 70, Northwestern 63, TCU 57, Virginia 44, Boise State 38, Cincinnati 16, South Carolina 15, Virginia Tech 12, Fresno State 8, Utah State 8, Minnesota 7, Memphis 6, Appalachian State 5, West Virginia 3, Oklahoma State 3, Arizona State 3, Arizona 1, USC 1

• immamac pinned and featured this topic

Michigan and Florida ahead of us is a joke. Franks is terrible and even he was able to stomp Michigan. Michigan lost 5 draft picks and a ton of talent off their defense and Shea Patterson is way overrated. There is 0 chance he can carry that team. This was him after a full season of starting and 6 weeks to prep for the bowl game.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Michigan and Florida ahead of us is a joke. Franks is terrible and even he was able to stomp Michigan. Michigan lost 5 draft picks and a ton of talent off their defense and Shea Patterson is way overrated. There is 0 chance he can carry that team. This was him after a full season of starting and 6 weeks to prep for the bowl game.

Wow. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ole Miss got BETTER with Ta'amu replacing him at QB. He's like Martell, just coasting on his five star rating.

7 minutes ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

Every year we talk about how polls shouldn't come out till October and seeing this just keeps that annual tradition going.  

Overrated:

8. Florida

9. Notre Dame

12. Aggie

14. Utah

15. Penn State

17. UCF

18. Mich St

20. Iowa

24. Nebraska

You forgot Meechicken.

But yea all the above are overrated.  Especially pick and choose who you get to play Norte Dame who gets exposed come "playoff" time.  

Plenty of Norte Dame fanboys and girls are members of the sports  media...   I'm shocked USC didn't at least make #25 for the same reason.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just hope we don't fuck it up.  9/14 is a crucial day on this front.  If we get past Iowa, we have a very real shot at 10-2, and god forbid beyond that should we upset OU or you guys.

When was the last time Iowa-Iowa State was a matchup of two ranked teams?

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just hope we don't fuck it up.  9/14 is a crucial day on this front.  If we get past Iowa, we have a very real shot at 10-2, and god forbid beyond that should we upset OU or you guys.

That's the exact game I was thinking. This year it's not just a rivalry game for the worst trophy in all of sports (or did that thing get trashed, can't remember), it's an actual matchup of ranked teams where people will use the result to begin forming opinions of conferences.

DON'T BLOW IT IOWA STATE

Here is Hinton's composite. Note that he has us at 13, behind aggy and Auburn, to name a couple.

ECWJWtVWwAAStcK?format=jpg&name=small

We should save these and the S&P+ for comparison to final standings to see who is best at predicting CFB: GAs working for FB coaches, hacks working for newspapers, or would-be statisticians who combined Microsoft Excel with recent years' box scores.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's the exact game I was thinking. This year it's not just a rivalry game for the worst trophy in all of sports (or did that thing get trashed, can't remember), it's an actual matchup of ranked teams where people will use the result to begin forming opinions of conferences.

DON'T BLOW IT IOWA STATE

Bingo. 

They did trash the corn family thing, but the replacement is also terrible in it's complete and utter blandness.  At least the corn thing was hilarious in it's stupidity.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

First ever time it's a ranked matchup? So how's the campaign to get Gameday there going?

That's been an endless summer topic around these parts.

They'll probably go to Clemson/Syracuse though, I'd imagine.  The game is on Fox (which I know doesn't preclude them from going), and at the end of the day half of the country couldn't locate Iowa on a damn map anyhow.

Realistically, our best chance is against you guys, especially if you're undefeated and we've won the games we're supposed to win.  Part of me would almost rather have that happen.  Iowa fans are really fucking Aggy en masse, and the exposure that's been given to ISU under Campbell has a segment of them losing their damn minds.  I have little doubt that if Gameday came to the CyHawk game that there would be a legion of mouthbreathing Hawk fans that would set up shop in front of the display to show the world how they are the rightful focus of attention in Iowa and keep "little brother" down.

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Farmageddon is ISU-KSU, not ISU-Iowa correct?

Yes, also, look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_State–Kansas_State_football_rivalry

The rivalry is 50-48-4 in favor of the Cyclones.

Bill Snyder was 22-4 against Iowa State.

So without Bill Snyder it is 46-26-4 Iowa State.

• Like 1

Just now, PilotsError said:

I have a lot of friends who are Cyclone fans, so I root for them as my second team.  One thing I've come to accept is them laying an egg against Iowa when it feels like they could have a good year.  I hope this year is different, but I keep my expectations exceedingly low.

What's odd is that from 1998-2014 we generally over-performed against Iowa in comparison to the rest of our schedule.  Ferentz doesn't have a winning record against, IIRC.  If he does, it's by one game, and he got there last year.  A lot of what happened in that previous era was a result of the difference in our strength of schedule, and having systems that worked well against what ISU defensively.  Campbell is fighting strength on strength on them, and it's part of the reason we've sipped shit against you guys under Campbell as well.

2017 was really damn close (offensive game that we lost in OT because Hakeem Butler dropped a routine catch), and last year was weird because it was the first game of the season for us, Campbell was calling the plays himself, and he really called a horrible game in terms of play calling.  He insisted on running into the teeth of their line, which put us in spots where we had to run longer pass routes on 3rd down, and Kyle Kempt got killed (actually got knocked out of the game late 3rd quarter).

I'm hopeful that between Tom Manning (2016-2017 OC) being back from the NFL, and Brock Purdy being the signal caller, that we can overcome that gap.  Our defense will dominate their offense.  We just need to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 points, and we win this one.

15 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Farmageddon is ISU-KSU, not ISU-Iowa correct?

KSU.

Little known fact:  it's the 8th longest running consecutively played rivalry in college football. Uninterrupted since 1917.

Interesting Wiki entry here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_college_football_rivalry_games#Longest_continuous_NCAA_college_football_rivalries

A whole shit load of Big 8 schools in there.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, also, look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_State–Kansas_State_football_rivalry

The rivalry is 50-48-4 in favor of the Cyclones.

Bill Snyder was 22-4 against Iowa State.

So without Bill Snyder it is 46-26-4 Iowa State.

A huge part of the reason that winning last year was such a big deal.  A KSU win would have evened the series and both fanbases were pretty aware of it.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

12. Texas A&M

13. Washington

14. Utah

15. Penn State

16. Auburn

17. UCF

18. Michigan State

19. Wisconsin

20. Iowa

21. Iowa State

22. Syracuse

23. Washington State

24. Nebraska

25. Stanford

teams better than A&M in bold

So you think Wazzu wouldn't stomp the shit out of aggy?

Number 8!     WOOOOooooooooooo

SnoopyImaginaryBobolink-size_restricted.

But it won't matter.   If anyone in the secondary gets a cold this year it's gonna be a problem.  Prediction Florida loses at least 2 games maybe 3 (uga & some other random malfunction) So no SECCG or playoff.  I suspect this ranking is only to gin up interest in the Miami game.

also Michigan?  Has Coach Sleepover ever even won a conference title?

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Number 8!     WOOOOooooooooooo

SnoopyImaginaryBobolink-size_restricted.

But it won't matter.   If anyone in the secondary gets a cold this year it's gonna be a problem.  Prediction Florida loses at least 2 games maybe 3 (uga & some other random malfunction) So no SECCG or playoff.  I suspect this ranking is only to gin up interest in the Miami game.

also Michigan?  Has Coach Sleepover ever even won a conference title?

Is it a QB competition between Jones and Franks or is Franks expected to start?

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is it a QB competition between Jones and Franks or is Franks expected to start?

Franks' job to lose, but you're going to see a drive each game with Wildcat package with Toney or Jones I suspect.   Florida has had shitty qb play for feels like ever.  The OL is not going to be the Qb's friend this year either...  hence the skepticism from me...   even pre-season when hope springs eternal

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Weren't y'all ranked a few seasons ago to start the season, but lost to UNI before going into the Iowa game?

We lost to UNI in '13 coming off a decent (for us) 2012 campaign.  We had a lot of returning guys on offense that had looked good in the past, but we weren't ranked.

That was the year we had our controversial Thursday night game in Ames.  There was some talent, but the culture under Rhoads was deteriorating quickly at that point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What's odd is that from 1998-2014 we generally over-performed against Iowa in comparison to the rest of our schedule.  Ferentz doesn't have a winning record against, IIRC.  If he does, it's by one game, and he got there last year.  A lot of what happened in that previous era was a result of the difference in our strength of schedule, and having systems that worked well against what ISU defensively.  Campbell is fighting strength on strength on them, and it's part of the reason we've sipped shit against you guys under Campbell as well.

2017 was really damn close (offensive game that we lost in OT because Hakeem Butler dropped a routine catch), and last year was weird because it was the first game of the season for us, Campbell was calling the plays himself, and he really called a horrible game in terms of play calling.  He insisted on running into the teeth of their line, which put us in spots where we had to run longer pass routes on 3rd down, and Kyle Kempt got killed (actually got knocked out of the game late 3rd quarter).

I'm hopeful that between Tom Manning (2016-2017 OC) being back from the NFL, and Brock Purdy being the signal caller, that we can overcome that gap.  Our defense will dominate their offense.  We just need to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 points, and we win this one.

Ferentz is 11-9 against ISU. He lost his first 4 games against the Cyclones and has gone 11-5 since. 

• immamac unfeatured and unpinned this topic