Michael Knight

The Outsider HBO

Just now, RomaVicta said:

I like it, but we seem to be jumping up and down in the same place.

Ralph sees only what he wants to see. Everybody is skeptical about the Dayton detective. Let's move forward.

That's my main and really only complaint - the pacing.  The first two episodes went full throttle and now we're devoting 5 minutes of screen time to a bus ride.  

49 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Everybody is skeptical about the Dayton detective.

andy?  who’s skeptical about him?

So I guess at present El Cuco is morphing into the strip club dude who's on parole?  (Paddy Considine).  As he got scratched by Cuco in his Terry Maitland costume.

Curious what the significance will be of the cut Paddy sustained during the bar fight.

Guessing Cuco won't have the cut, and that'll establish that they're not the same individual.  Maybe?

Edited by Augustus

Terry’s wife is such a whiny cunt that any scenes she’s in are almost unwatchable. She’s the worst element of the show by 6 country miles.

Clearly intentional. Miserable characters are an important element of the show.

4 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Clearly intentional. Miserable characters are an important element of the show.

It helps offset the plethora of the happy-go-lucky characters littering the script. 

On 2/10/2020 at 7:31 AM, bschoolprof said:

I don't think I can overstate how important Dream On was for world class titty scenes for impressionable young men in the pre-internet era.  I'm pretty sure it's slated to be selected for preservation by the US National TV and Film Registry as being culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.  

Eddie Charles was a pretty great character too.

Enjoying this. Watched the first episode a few weeks ago and binged 2-4 last night. Have not read the book.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:10 AM, RomaVicta said:

I like it, but we seem to be jumping up and down in the same place.

Ralph sees only what he wants to see. Everybody is skeptical about the Dayton detective. Let's move forward.

I was perplexed by Ralph being dismissive of his wife's encounter. I kept wondering, "is he trying to placate her or something?"

I guess I'm having trouble tracking his level of open-mindedness vs. his skepticism. All the weird shit he's seen plus the hiring of Molly seemed to suggest some growing level of open-mindedness. But in the last episode, Ralph seemed to be about where he was in episode 1. Except he's also convinced Terry is innocent, I guess?

I was perplexed by Ralph being dismissive of his wife's encounter. I kept wondering, "is he trying to placate her or something?"
I guess I'm having trouble tracking his level of open-mindedness vs. his skepticism. All the weird shit he's seen plus the hiring of Molly seemed to suggest some growing level of open-mindedness. But in the last episode, Ralph seemed to be about where he was in episode 1. Except he's also convinced Terry is innocent, I guess?

You ever watch a really good magician/mind reader? You know it’s an act, but you cant figure out how it works. Ralph hasnt figured out the trick yet.

23 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I know nothing of the book, so I'm just guessing not spoiling.

Because Ralph seems so smart, I hwonder if his reluctance to support his lwife comes from guilty knowledge about his own son's death that he hasn't shared or if he is actually complicit in some way with covering up something after the fact.

Meh episode. Setup ep, but kinda underwhelming after end to last week. Lot of watching the characters just stand around, ramble, drive, talk, ask ea other questions wout answers...

Glad Ralph’s wife tore him up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what was going on there at the end when Det. Savant had the nightmare that Menacing Possessed Redneck Cop shot and killed her, appeared to wake up, surveyed her surroundings, and then was somehow further terrified? 

Seems like we could have gotten here in about 4 episodes. First two sucked me in and I'll finish it just to see what happens, but it's been dragging. 

6 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

So what was going on there at the end when Det. Savant had the nightmare that Menacing Possessed Redneck Cop shot and killed her, appeared to wake up, surveyed her surroundings, and then was somehow further terrified? 

maybe the realization that the malevolent being has gotten into her dreams,  Freddy Krueger style... like that asian lady with the newborn

This last episode was the worst.  They are just stalling at this point.   

This pacing would be OK for a binge show on netflix where you can just skip ahead to the next episode. But for an appointment TV show, they need compelling story advancement each week.  I wonder if Bateman et al have lost sight of that.  

Edited by bschoolprof