I told you so

Camelback80

Don't need polls or projections to affirm my views. CBU probably won't be a quality Win by the end of the year. But for game 3, they looked to be a quality opponent and one that will give other quality teams some trouble in addition to the fight it gave Texas last night. Hell Texas won by 13, the sharps in vegas had the line as low as 15. So it's not like they underperformed woefully from what the 'real' experts anticipated anyway.

And this conference discussion is a ridiculous one. It's apples to oranges. The Big 10 & ACC have like 50 teams in them each with half those teams deserving to be in the NIT or worse right off the bat. With pools of that size you should have a couple teams that end up being elite. And let's not act like it's a plethora of teams vying for dominance. Those conferences are top-heavy & controlled (a lot like ours) by the same blue-bloods each and every year(Mich St, Mich, Duke, UNC & UVA recently). The Wisc/Pur/OhSt's of the world ain't never winning ish. Now the ACC is a different animal. They have legitimate depth and quality. But I'd put the Big 12 up against any of those others and to me the fact you can literally go on the road to any school in the Big 12 and lose that night if you don't play well, puts it ahead of the others in the conversation.  

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

For the record Cal Baptist was picked to finish 5th in the WAC, not 2nd. I'm not sure where the idea that they were picked to finish 2nd came from, but it's false. 

The idea came from post #8 of the game thread.  txhorns posted it.

I don't care one way or the other honestly.  We didn't play well and won by 12.  Could have been an assload worse.

For the record Cal Baptist was picked to finish 5th in the WAC, not 2nd. I'm not sure where the idea that they were picked to finish 2nd came from, but it's false. 
https://kfoxtv.com/sports/local-sports/aggies-selected-as-unanimous-favorites-in-wac-preseason-poll
NM State also ran away with the coaches’ poll where head coaches could not vote for their own team. The Aggies received 64 points and all of the eight possible first-place votes to earn the top spot. Grand Canyon captured second place with 57 points and one first-place vote. Seattle U was third with 43 points, followed by UT Rio Grande Valley in fourth place with 39 points. California Baptist was picked to finish fifth with 34 points, while CSU Bakersfield and Utah Valley tied for sixth place with 30 points apiece. Kansas City was eighth with 16 points, while Chicago State rounded out the poll with 11 points.

Of those schools the only ones I've heard of are NMst, Bakersfield, and UTrgv. The others sound like fictitious made up for the movies schools.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m glad we’re 3-0 and had a road win against a Big 10 team.   But I seriously doubt Purdue is any good this year, and I know Cal Baptist is not any good.  

Every advanced metric ranking system has Purdue ranked as a top 15 team 

Edited by CheesePie

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m glad we’re 3-0 and had a road win against a Big 10 team.   But I seriously doubt Purdue is any good this year, and I know Cal Baptist is not any good.  

Purdue is talented, and I expect they'll be better in March than they are now as they're still adjusting to a post-Edwards existence. Painter's got things rolling up there.

(Also, Cal Baptist being on probation has nothing to do with the WAC and everything to do with the four-year process of becoming a full D-I member.)

Usually when I hear or see the use of "I told you so", that is preceeding by whatever was told occurring.  

Anyone else ever read those stories about dumb criminals, Darwin Award winners etc and it makes you feel better about yourself? This thread brings that feel. And for that, I thank the OP. 

On 11/13/2019 at 5:57 AM, idigTexas said:

I love a well deserved "I told you so" as much as the next guy, but you need to work on the timing.  Three games into the season is just a teeny bit premature, much like your experience with South Austin's mom.  Feel free to come back in March and tell us so again.

You're absolutely right and I could be guilty of jumping the gun. But I watched every minute of the Purdue game and I watched us overcome a late game deficit in a proud and hostile nationally ranked program's home gym. That was a gutsy performance and a big win and I believe it corroborates what I've been saying for the past 6 months--that even though we lost Snoop and Dylan, the younger guys coming up behind them are ready to take a big step forward. We haven't even heard from Hepa yet! Remember last year @Baylor when Kemaka came in a started draining 3's in Waco? That was a night when Snoop was suspended and Dylan was injured, and we came out and hung a 20 pt lead at halftime on an awesome Bears team in their house.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i like how every single team we play is AMAZING, just brimming with talent & poise, and arguably one of the best teams EVAR. man that Shaka Smart sure is earning his paycheck getting all of these crucially important W's against all the NBA teams we play week in, week out. 

Purdue went to the elite 8 last year, losing only to eventual national champs Virginia in OT. They were ranked in the preseason top 25 in every poll and Pomeroy currently has them as the 9th best team in the nation. We walked in there and handed their ass to them. OK it's not the goddam Houston Rockets but it's one of if not the best win that any team has so far this season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Camelback80 said:

Purdue went to the elite 8 last year, losing only to eventual national champs Virginia in OT. They were ranked in the preseason top 25 in every poll and Pomeroy currently has them as the 9th best team in the nation. We walked in there and handed their ass to them. OK it's not the goddam Houston Rockets but it's one of if not the best win that any team has so far this season.

Nothing Purdue did last year has anything to do with this year's team. They lost their two best players from last year (ever heard of Carsen Edwards?), they are 1-2 this season, and the only reason they are ranked that highly in KenPom is because his early season rankings are heavily weighted to reflect the results and rankings from previous years. KenPom's computers have Purdue going 20-10 (13-7) this season. They are not the same team they were last year, and beating them in November means very little. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Nothing Purdue did last year has anything to do with this year's team. They lost their two best players from last year (ever heard of Carsen Edwards?), they are 1-2 this season, and the only reason they are ranked that highly in KenPom is because his early season rankings are heavily weighted to reflect the results and rankings from previous years. KenPom's computers have Purdue going 20-10 (13-7) this season. They are not the same team they were last year, and beating them in November means very little. 

Vegas had us as 8 pt underdogs in the game. So a 12 pt BTS on the road in a critical non-conference game with national implications means nothing? Cool story bro.

Edited by Camelback80
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Are we still predicted 20-10 (10-8)? If so, huge win to beat a team on par with ourselves!!! Lol

1 hour ago, Camelback80 said:

You're absolutely right and I could be guilty of jumping the gun. But I watched every minute of the Purdue game and I watched us overcome a late game deficit in a proud and hostile nationally ranked program's home gym. That was a gutsy performance and a big win and I believe it corroborates what I've been saying for the past 6 months--that even though we lost Snoop and Dylan, the younger guys coming up behind them are ready to take a big step forward. We haven't even heard from Hepa yet! Remember last year @Baylor when Kemaka came in a started draining 3's in Waco? That was a night when Snoop was suspended and Dylan was injured, and we came out and hung a 20 pt lead at halftime on an awesome Bears team in their house.

You are tying your optimism to a player who did well in a game that we lost?  Spiffy!  I hate to break it to you, but we only get a win if we have the most points at the END of the game.   

same with Roach. those guys played a ton of minutes and started a ton of games over the years here, but they were both mostly passengers along the way, if not an out and out detriment to the team at times. In fact Roach's 4 years here have got to be my least favorite 4-year stretch of Texas basketball from my lifetime. 

• Like 1