Matt Rhule to the Panthers

texifornia

24 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

It still should be the goddamned death penalty for what happened there. That institute enabled unprecedented and unacceptable things to occur.

SMU paid some kids to play a game.  Baylor trapezed them into the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE TO PLAY PROFESSIONAL FUCKING FOOTBALL.

There is no comparison here. SMU got the death penalty and was allowed to return to major college football. Baylor should be banished form all major college sports forever.

No argument here.  Just remarking in a vacuum how remarkable the coaching turnaround was.  To do what was done with mid to lower tiered guys was nothing short of remarkable.  Or what we like to call "coaching"

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

From there:

Mercenary is the most accurate term for Rhule. No ill will or denigration intended. Mack Rhodes probably knew this. I appreciate what he and his staff did in this short time at Baylor.

I'm glad he's leaving. He never had a commitment to Baylor. That's important to me.

GLAD HE IS LEAVING? 

this is even more delusional than those idiots at TexAgs.

GLAD HE IS LEAVING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! No commitment to Baylor?

lies no GIF

posted by a dude with 80 something posts and almost a 2 year old account, so not a troll.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Was it Iowa st?   In what game did you say “holy shit this guy is good?” Tcu?  Tech?  K state?   Don’t say us.  We suck. 

Okay, let's get Socratic up in this bitch.

Baylor's record, national ranking, and major bowl invitation were things you expected last year from Baylor no matter who was coach?

Being a better team than Texas was something any coach could have done with last year's Baylor team?

Answer a few questions instead of just asking them.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Don't quote me on this, but doesn't the team lose something like a dozen+ starters next year?  8-9 on defense?  He sure timed this perfectly.  

Rhule's stock value would probably go down if he had stayed and Coached Baylor in 2020....

It was time for Rhule to sell at the top of the market...

giphy.gif

49 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

About the same? Uh, no. Carolina probably more than doubled his salary.

That's over $8.5 mil/year plus incentives.

that’s not a big increase over Baylor. They pay top of the market and have since Briles. They just don’t have to disclose their numbers.

I also don’t understand why more NFL teams don’t spend more on coaches. It’s the one place where they can improve the team without worrying about a salary cap. 

19 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Baylor has a pretty shitty tradition of wanting to believe liars...

Don’t give Baylor fans a pass for supporting Briles. They knew what was happening. They just didn’t care because they were winning. Fuck all of them.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Because the football program was running an organized mass rape coverup?

There are precisely and exactly zero rules within NCAA guidelines that prescribe the "death penalty" for such offenses, so to enforce one against them would be completely arbitrary, and you know that.

Don't quote me on this, but doesn't the team lose something like a dozen+ starters next year?  8-9 on defense?  He sure timed this perfectly.  
He rode the rocket ship he created perfectly. His NFL aspirations were clear all along. The cynic in me might go so far as to say he put Brewer in harm's way just to polish his resume, but that's the nature of the beast. Anyone with an IQ above room temp knew he would get out of Waco at the earliest opportunity.

2 hours ago, hpslugga said:

There are precisely and exactly zero rules within NCAA guidelines that prescribe the "death penalty" for such offenses, so to enforce one against them would be completely arbitrary, and you know that.

Id call the little illegal setup they had at multiple levels of the Athletic Admin and local DAs office a serious "Lack of Institutional control"

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Id call the little illegal setup they had at multiple levels of the Athletic Admin and local DAs office a serious "Lack of Institutional control"

And had they been found guilty of "lack of institutional control" 5 years prior to that?

The "death penalty" isn't even the formal name of the rule. It's the "repeat violator rule," and that's exactly what it means: get caught committing the same serious violation twice within 5 years, and the program is terminated. First time offenders within the 5-year window would never even be considered for the DP, no matter how heinous the violation is.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

That's incorrect as far as there being a rule against it. There is a rule against unethical conduct and violations are presumed to be Level 1 violations. A list of some examples of unethical conduct is given in the by-law but it expressly states that unethical conduct is not limited to the examples in the list.

If you don't view what happened at Baylor as being enabled by massive amounts of unethical conduct on the part of athletic department members then we'll have to disagree.

Of course you left yourself an out by saying there are zero rules that prescribe the death penalty for such offenses, knowing full well that there are zero rules "prescribing" the death penalty for any offenses.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Because the football program was running an organized mass rape coverup?

to be fair, they were involved in the coverup but the Title IX department also was a complete clusterfuck that somehow managed to not protect the university, the athletics dept, the Title IX department, the victims or the (alleged) accused.

just a shitstorm across the board.

53 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

He was reportedly over $6M/yr after his last extension, but $2.5M more a year and not having to recruit will work.

52 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nope.

Yeah but Charlotte >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the asshole of Texas

3 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

And had they been found guilty of "lack of institutional control" 5 years prior to that?  The "death penalty" isn't even the formal name of the rule. It's the "repeat violator rule," and that's exactly what it means: get caught committing the same serious violation twice within 5 years, and the program is terminated. First time offenders within the 5-year window would never even be considered for the DP, no matter how heinous the violation is.

Bailor is the Wrong Hill to Take a Stand On...

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What does Baylor stand to lose by hiring Briles back?

They clearly don't care what anyone else thinks, and they haven't received any real consequences for their wrongdoings.  Their cult fans think the whole thing was a conspiracy in the first place.

They stand to lose in the next realignment. Seriously. The NCAA may not ever do a damn thing about it but if they hire Briles again they are playing with fire in terms of being left out of the next power conference reshuffle.

That still doesn't mean I don't expect a media member to report a source saying that Baylor may contact Briles about the open position. Someone associated with that university will want to test the public response to that "leak" even if it's not true. Maybe someone who works there, maybe a booster. But there's no doubt that there are multiple Baylor people right now who kind of want to know how bad the PR would be if they did that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's incorrect as far as there being a rule against it.

I said nothing regarding there being rules against that type of conduct, and you knew that.

There is a rule against unethical conduct and violations are presumed to be Level 1 violations.

Never said there wasn't.

If you don't view what happened at Baylor as being enabled by massive amounts of unethical conduct on the part of athletic department members then we'll have to disagree.

I do view it as massive amounts of unethical conduct. You're starting to tread on a massive strawman argument.

Of course you left yourself an out by saying there are zero rules that prescribe the death penalty for such offenses, knowing full well that there are zero rules "prescribing" the death penalty for any offenses.

Again, there is a rule called the repeat violator rule which was enacted sometime in the mid-1980's. That was the rule that triggered the NCAA to cancel SMU football in 1987. And that's not an "out," either. That's a fact. I have no firsthand information regarding what the NCAA discussed regarding Penn State in 2012, but I'd bet my entire life's savings that what ultimately led them to deal sanctions instead of the death penalty was, again, the reality that Penn State was not within any sort of death penalty window. Had they been found guilty of some sort of violation regarding institutional control prior to Sandusky, then yes I'd fully expect the DP not only to be considered but also administered. Per the NCAA website:

"What is the “death penalty”?

The repeat-violator legislation (“death penalty”) is applicable to an institution if, within a five-year period, the following conditions exist:

• Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs and
  • The second violation occurred within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case. The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.
  • Penalties for repeat violators of legislation, subject to exemptions authorized by the committee on the basis of specifically stated reasons, may include any of the following:

• The prohibition of some or all outside competition in the sport involved in the latest major violation for one or two sport seasons and the prohibition of all coaching staff members in that sport from involvement (directly or indirectly) in any coaching activities at the institution during that period
    • The elimination of all initial grants-in-aid and recruiting activities in the sport involved in the latest major violation in question for a two-year period.
    • The requirement that all institutional staff member serving on the NCAA Board of Directors; Leadership, Legislative, Presidents or Management Councils; Executive Committee or other Association governance bodies resign their positions. All institutional representatives shall be ineligible to serve on any NCAA committee for a period of four years and
    • The requirement that the institution relinquish its Association voting privileges for a four-year period."

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Awesome... keep promoting great Head Coaching salary at Bailor so that "Waco Hellhole" hopefully has to overpay on their next HC or settle for a crap hire!!

Also if the compensation is about the same, why would Rhule leave such a wonderful place as Bailor...  😂😂😂

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, the only not funny part is that you absolutely know that there have already been calls made to Baylor about contacting Art Briles. They have zero morals over there. 

They're worse than OU when it comes to that kind of thing, and that's saying a lot. I truly believe that Oklahoma would stop short of being okay with mass rape. Beating women? Sure, they're cool with that. But not what happened at Baylor. Or am I giving the Sooners too much credit?

I think most of them would not be ok with mass rape, but a very vocal portion of their fans probably would be ok with it.

4 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I said nothing regarding there being rules against that type of conduct, and you knew that.

Never said there wasn't.

I do view it as massive amounts of unethical conduct. You're starting to tread on a massive strawman argument.

Again, there is a rule called the repeat violator rule which was enacted sometime in the mid-1980's. That was the rule that triggered the NCAA to cancel SMU football in 1987. And that's not an "out," either. That's a fact. I have no firsthand information regarding what the NCAA discussed regarding Penn State in 2012, but I'd bet my entire life's savings that what ultimately led them to deal sanctions instead of the death penalty was, again, the reality that Penn State was not within any sort of death penalty window. Had they been found guilty of some sort of violation regarding institutional control prior to Sandusky, then yes I'd fully expect the DP not only to be considered but also administered. Per the NCAA website:

"What is the “death penalty”?

The repeat-violator legislation (“death penalty”) is applicable to an institution if, within a five-year period, the following conditions exist:

• Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs and
  • The second violation occurred within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case. The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.
  • Penalties for repeat violators of legislation, subject to exemptions authorized by the committee on the basis of specifically stated reasons, may include any of the following:

• The prohibition of some or all outside competition in the sport involved in the latest major violation for one or two sport seasons and the prohibition of all coaching staff members in that sport from involvement (directly or indirectly) in any coaching activities at the institution during that period
    • The elimination of all initial grants-in-aid and recruiting activities in the sport involved in the latest major violation in question for a two-year period.
    • The requirement that all institutional staff member serving on the NCAA Board of Directors; Leadership, Legislative, Presidents or Management Councils; Executive Committee or other Association governance bodies resign their positions. All institutional representatives shall be ineligible to serve on any NCAA committee for a period of four years and
    • The requirement that the institution relinquish its Association voting privileges for a four-year period."

Ok so according to the letter of the law, Baylor shouldn't get the death penalty, barring the officers of the NCAA considering this above and beyond anything they'd seen before (which is a large part of what people on here would argue given how disgusting the whole setup was).

Do you feel better defending them like this? Do you feel you've chosen a good hill to die on?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Matt Rhule is going to buy an array of the fanciest smocks ever made.  Diamond-studded smocks.  He now has the capability of expanding to bedazzled ponchos or the finest muumuus available.  His versatility in fancy things draped over his torso will be unrivaled.  It's a new era. 

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Rhule didn't tell his players - the AD had to do it.

How hard is it to call a team meeting and tell them how much the guys mean to him, etc? Just tell them it's always been a goal to get to the NFL -- after all, that's the goal of many kids who to go play big-time college football -- and the opportunity was just too good to pass up. Who can argue with that?

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Ok so according to the letter of the law, Baylor shouldn't get the death penalty, barring the officers of the NCAA considering this above and beyond anything they'd seen before (which is a large part of what people on here would argue given how disgusting the whole setup was).

Do you feel better defending them like this? Do you feel you've chosen a good hill to die on?

That's my bigger question.

There is no NCAA rule that says if a football program is found to have been a serial killer ring where the full coaching staff and all players habitually kidnapped and murdered young children over the course of a year that they could get the NCAA death penalty with the first violation. Who gives a shit? They should still have their program disbanded.