Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Your time would have been better spent hanging out and having a long conversation with the gal with the booth selling throw pillows with cute sayings on them (I presume there was such a booth -- there always is).

I prefer the guy who looks and acts like he never left the '60s (Armybrat, I mean the 1960s), who is selling records, 8-tracks, etc.

He's done so many drugs and had so many STDs, covid ain't going to stand a chance against him.

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Do you believe people who die in vehicle wrecks with COVID should be counted towards the death toll?  Thanks for playing.

I’ll actually answer your question. No. 

are there so many Covid positive vehicular deaths as to affect the Covid death numbers in any statistically significant fashion?

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/80-year-old-man-dies-following-dispute-over-wearing-face-mask-at-west-seneca-bar

WEST SENECA, N.Y. (WKBW) — In what could be the first case of its kind in the nation, prosecutors have charged a West Seneca man with criminally negligent homicide after a dispute over wearing a face covering left an 80 year-old man dead.

Donald Lewinski, 65 of West Seneca, was taken into custody Monday following an incident September 26 at Pamp's Red Zone Bar and Grill on Southwestern Boulevard in West Seneca.

According to Erie County District Attorney John Flynn, Lewinski got into a verbal confrontation with Rocco Sapienza - another regular at the bar - after Sapienza noticed Lewinski was not wearing a mask while bringing buckets of beer to a band playing outside.

At one point, Flynn said Sapienza got up and confronted Lewinski. That's when Lewinski stood up and pushed Sapienza "hard" with both hands, the D.A. said. Sapienza fell back and hit his head on the ground. 

Sapienza was taken to ECMC, where he was unresponsive for four days. He died on September 30.

The cause of death is blunt force trauma to the head.

The owner of Pamp's Red Zone released this statement:
"We are all deeply saddened by the loss of Rocco. He was a part of our Red Zone family and loved by all. Our deepest sympathies go out to Rocco’s family."

Lewinski is set to appear in West Seneca Town Court Tuesday night.

A celebration of life for Sapienza will take place Tuesday at 11 a.m. at the Southtown Christian Center.

11 hours ago, Cody2422 said:

The WHO is now saying that their best guess is that 1 in 10 people have had Covid, or 760 million people worldwide.  Confirmed cases come in about 32 million.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-10-05/10-percent-world-population-may-have-been-infected-coronavirus%3f_amp=true

Yup. 20x higher than current counts/estimates

thats... good?

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/80-year-old-man-dies-following-dispute-over-wearing-face-mask-at-west-seneca-bar

WEST SENECA, N.Y. (WKBW) — In what could be the first case of its kind in the nation, prosecutors have charged a West Seneca man with criminally negligent homicide after a dispute over wearing a face covering left an 80 year-old man dead.

Donald Lewinski, 65 of West Seneca, was taken into custody Monday following an incident September 26 at Pamp's Red Zone Bar and Grill on Southwestern Boulevard in West Seneca.

According to Erie County District Attorney John Flynn, Lewinski got into a verbal confrontation with Rocco Sapienza - another regular at the bar - after Sapienza noticed Lewinski was not wearing a mask while bringing buckets of beer to a band playing outside.

At one point, Flynn said Sapienza got up and confronted Lewinski. That's when Lewinski stood up and pushed Sapienza "hard" with both hands, the D.A. said. Sapienza fell back and hit his head on the ground. 

Sapienza was taken to ECMC, where he was unresponsive for four days. He died on September 30.

"We are all deeply saddened by the loss of Rocco. He was a part of our Red Zone family and loved by all. Our deepest sympathies go out to Rocco’s family."

A celebration of life for Sapienza will take place Tuesday at 11 a.m. at the Southtown Christian Center.

Another Lewinski who sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Also, I‘ve known 3 people that have gotten COVID-19 and none were hospitalized.  None were in the high risk age range though.  I think facts are important and fearmongering is not helpful at all.  I’ve been following Ron Paul’s updates on this daily.  

You're about facts, but are still trotting out Facebook "they're counting car accident victims as COVID deaths!" bullshit, even though the notion that we're grossly over-counting has been disproven at every turn. Got it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

You're about facts, but are still trotting out Facebook "they're counting car accident victims as COVID deaths!" bullshit, even though the notion that we're grossly over-counting has been disproven at every turn. Got it.

Probably bc the hospital is getting COVID bucks!!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 12:13 PM, Lobo said:

Oh yeah, I'm totally fine with them keeping a lid on it all until Columbus Day.  I think most people understand the rationing of medicines and certain treatments right now.  And everybody should know "Yeah, with my insurance and local county hospital...i ain't gonna get the gold package like Trump did."  I think we're all okay with all that, we understand how our hospital systems work/don't work.  

What I don't want to have happen though is for some drug to have a run on it, or some other one to be dismissed as useless because of this one patient.   But yeah, he's in that Covid sweet-spot, old and obese.  So I would think his treatment will be fairly standard, but then again-his medical team will have access to shit even Boris Johnson didn't.  I just hope some new medical insight can come from this for other people in his category (like many of our parents I suspect). 

I do keep reading lots of promising stuff about Vitamin D.  And by the looks of him, he looks like he's getting plenty of that.    

Is there Vitamin D in base, coverage, and powder? 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You should be negged for that fail alone.

Your time would have been better spent hanging out and having a long conversation with the gal with the booth selling throw pillows with cute sayings on them (I presume there was such a booth -- there always is).

I usually spring for the grass fed, free range, pre-histrionic chicken for $9/lb being sold out of a Yeti cooler.   It’s gotta be legit if it’s in a Yeti!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

But did he test positive?

You know I have to admire Fondren and Main's persistence coming in once every 3-4 weeks out of the blue and taking a huge diarrhea shit all over this thread. Unlike a few of our more regular posters, he knows how to make himself just scarce enough to where his threadshit actually has an impact.

Kudos to you, F&M.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Do you believe people who die in vehicle wrecks with COVID should be counted towards the death toll?  Thanks for playing.

at what point do we become alarmed at all these car wrecks?  we were having 3,000 fatal car wrecks per day for a while there. it's nice to see the car wrecks are trending down now, of course.

10-6-COVID-deaths.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

thats... good?

Depends on which side of the fence you stand on I guess.  If accurate, then the death rate would drop significantly and if it spreads as easily as experts say, that’s a whole shit ton of asymptomatic people walking around spreading it to others.  In an exponential spread exercise, seems like the whole world would have it or have been exposed in short order.

18 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I made a huge mistake Saturday morning.  I drove out to the Wimberley Market Days.  Far too many people without masks!  Not just unused masks around their necks, but no sign of a mask at all.  The entrances said "Masks Mandatory", but you could tell the non-mask people, science deniers. 

Wimberley is full of anti-mask shitheels.  The UIL threatened to forfeit the football team's season because of fans' non-compliance with UIL mask rules at games.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I have to look at that as good news. If it’s way more widespread than thought than it isn’t as deadly as believed and we are most likely closer to herd immunity than thought. Right?

I suppose you could.   if you look at that with US pop.  33M with 200K deaths is .6% where CDC though about 10x per confirmed case a while back, which would make the US around .28%. my original thought was around .3% but I can see it being .4 or so.

the IFR percentage is going to keep going down as we get better at treating it, more at risk recover, more people get it.  of course a vax changes all that. still hoping for end of Nov initial roll out for key folks.

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

thats... good?

Yes, as that means roughly 1 person dies out of every 750 whom have contracted Covid-19.  That seems.... not very bad.

I am aware death rate is not the only factor to examine, but it may be time to realize we may have overreacted just a bit.

We are nearly a year into this pandemic now, and it seems clear to me this is not anything near as terrible as the Spanish Flu, nor the Black Death.

Maybe it really is just a new, slightly worse strain of the common cold?

Edited by Somnio
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Well, considering nobody I know that has had it has been hospitalized, this appears to be political grandstanding by our leaders.  What has changed regarding deaths?  Have we skewed away from pre-existing conditions and the olds accounting for the majority of deaths?  Just admit that this whole thing has been a complete fucking sham.

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Yes, as that means roughly 1 person dies out of every 750 whom have contract Covid-19.  That seems.... not very bad.

I am aware death rate is not the only factor to examine, but it may be time to realize we may have overreacted just a bit.

We are nearly a year into this pandemic now, and it seems clear to me this is not anything near as terrible as the Spanish Flu, nor the Black Death.

Maybe it really is just a new, slightly worse strain of the common cold?

In absolute numbers, this wishful thinking doesn't hold up.  No, it's not as terrible as the Spanish Flu or the Black Death.....but it's unquestionably a LOT more than a "worse strain" of the cold, or than any flu we've seen since 1918.  210,000 dead in 6 months.  The worst flu in modern history is estimated to have killed no more than 80,000 in a full year.

And understanding that we have lowered the transmission rate by lockdowns, social distancing, and mask wearing, we STILL have had 210,000 die.  The tipping point question is "is this disease deadly enough to force us to take significant measures to limit its toll?"  It seems that effectively the entire world has answered that question "yes."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"is this disease deadly enough to force us to take significant measures to limit its toll?"

Are you suggesting that we didn't take significant measures? Because there are a shitload of unemployed people and businesses shut down forever that would beg to differ.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Are you suggesting that we didn't take significant measures? Because there are a shitload of unemployed people and businesses shut down forever that would beg to differ.

No, I'm suggesting that we did.  We did so because it is particularly dangerous and deadly.  And even doing so, we are up to 210,000 dead in 6 months.  So, it ain't just a bad cold, it ain't the flu, and that's so undeniable, I don't understand how we're even still having the conversation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Yes, as that means roughly 1 person dies out of every 750 whom have contracted Covid-19.  That seems.... not very bad.

image_2_minard_s_liniment.png

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

And I wonder how much shutting down schools, offices, bars, etc. while everyone is still going to HEB, Walmart, Home Depot, eating out, etc. with bandanas on their faces has really slowed transmission.

I suppose we will never know, but at this point I have my doubts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, I'm suggesting that we did.  We did so because it is particularly dangerous and deadly.  And even doing so, we are up to 210,000 dead in 6 months.  So, it ain't just a bad cold, it ain't the flu, and that's so undeniable, I don't understand how we're even still having the conversation.

OK. That's fair.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away