CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

14 hours ago, lmao said:

I'm in SoCal where the vast majority of people followed the rules, restrictions, got vaccinated, etc. Was at the farmers market last week and it was basically wall to wall people (a lot of families) without a mask in sight other than maybe a few vendors.  Even most of them were maskless. Things are basically operating like the pre-covid days.

I never would have guessed that. I know in VA it was 50/50 about 3 weeks ago, down to about 5% the other day.  West Houston seems to be nil outside of grocery stores over last week ive been home. 

We can never forget the massive injustice that happened this day last year during the height of Covid!
86ba90144350442a955904ff494dcf56_xl.jpg

My main question is why fajitas can only be eaten with shredded cheese? I mean yeah some cheese is good but that’s the only way you can eat them, and the only kind of cheese you can use?

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

My main question is why fajitas can only be eaten with shredded cheese? I mean yeah some cheese is good but that’s the only way you can eat them, and the only kind of cheese you can use?

Thats White People Stuff Thats What You Do GIF - ThatsWhitePeopleStuff  WhitePeopleStuff WhitePeople - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My main question is why would someone eat fajitas with cheese in the first place?

I kinda like a little drizzle of queso on there every now and then.  And I don't mind some shredded mexican cheese (like a queso mennonita).  But it's not essential.

The idiocy in his post is the intentional word choice.  It's the only way she "CAN" eat fajitas, not the only way she "LIKES TO" eat fajitas.  That's just fucking bullshit idiocy.  She doesn't have some medical condition.  She's just whiny and picky, like an adult version of a toddler with irrational food rules.  They got blasted for this, and with good reason.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Y’all stay vigilant if you happen to live in an area with low vaccination rates.

We’ve been trucking along with an average of 4 inpatients - until last Thursday.

Back up into double digits in less than a week. NONE of them are vaccinated.

That Delta is a bad bitch. And she’s coming.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

If your immunity is based on antibodies to the spike protein you should have lasting immunity because the spike protein cannot change much and still facilitate entry into host cells. I would imagine a change significant enough to prevent antibody attachment would be very likely to hinder the spike protein’s ability to bind to the host

• Hook 'Em 3

Spouse asked her doctor today if she should get an MRna shot to boost the J&J shot she got in March. Doc said she's following all this closely but there's not enough information at this point to be able to recommend it, and instead suggested getting antibody-tested to see how robust the response to the shot has been.

37 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Back up into double digits in less than a week. NONE of them are vaccinated.

I want to see every news organization say the same thing day after day:

"CDC reported xxx deaths yesterday due to COVID-19.  All of the victims were unvaccinated"

Every single day.

Of course the real numbers might be more like "99% of the victims were unvaccinated" and that the 1% outlier will be the rallying cry for anti-vaxxers because we live in the dumbest of timelines.

• Hook 'Em 5

28 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

I want to see every news organization say the same thing day after day:

"CDC reported xxx deaths yesterday due to COVID-19.  All of the victims were unvaccinated"

Every single day.

Of course the real numbers might be more like "99% of the victims were unvaccinated" and that the 1% outlier will be the rallying cry for anti-vaxxers because we live in the dumbest of timelines.

One way to counteract that is to show that you're twice as likely to die from covid without the shot as you are with. 

So I just found out I am the only person in my family of 5 that has or will get vaccinated.  My dad is a retired doctor.  Sister who they interact with on a daily basis is an anti-vaxx nutjob who recently got kicked off of Facebook for god knows what.  This is disconcerting.

• Rage+1 1

41 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I just found out I am the only person in my family of 5 that has or will get vaccinated.  My dad is a retired doctor.  Sister who they interact with on a daily basis is an anti-vaxx nutjob who recently got kicked off of Facebook for god knows what.  This is disconcerting.

jesus dude, my family isn't perfect but mom and dad and sister all got vaxxed. I cannot imagine the conversations if they were anti-vax

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

jesus dude, my family isn't perfect but mom and dad and sister all got vaxxed. I cannot imagine the conversations if they were anti-vax

My mom and dad got vaxxed, but my brother, who is turning 35 this year has not been as he wants to wait and see (he is Trumpy).  Also, the caretaker who lives on their property, pretty sure he hasn't been vaxxed.  

I have encouraged my mom to start laying the pressure on because Delta isn't anything to mess with.  They she is going to talk to the doctor and get his thoughts on what my folks should do since they got J&J.

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I never would have guessed that. I know in VA it was 50/50 about 3 weeks ago, down to about 5% the other day.  West Houston seems to be nil outside of grocery stores over last week ive been home. 

Yeah, I was really surprised considering this is one of the more left leaning areas in the country. If restrictions are put back in place due to the Delta Variant that is going to be a hard sell imo. 

Edited by lmao
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

My dad is a boomer Republican & he got vaxxed as soon as he could. He actually was on my ass about getting it. 

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I know my mom and stepdad (before he passed away) got vaccinated.  No idea about my sister, but think she did.  I know they were going to get my 14 year old nephew vaccinated.  My dad, who has diabetes, is obese and had a mini stroke a few months back - not even scheduled anything yet, nor my stepmom. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I know my mom and stepdad (before he passed away) got vaccinated.  No idea about my sister, but think she did.  I know they were going to get my 14 year old nephew vaccinated.  My dad, who has diabetes, is obese and had a mini stroke a few months back - not even scheduled anything yet, nor my stepmom. 

you'd think people of our parents' generation saw the impact the polio vaccine had on the world and would be asking for every available vaccine there is. I don't get it. I probably never will.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, lmao said:

They followed the rules, got vaccinated, and have moved on. If restrictions are put back in place due to the Delta Variant that is going to be a hard sell imo. 

Yeah I did too.  But I never really got away from the mask. I don’t really gaf about someone shooting me a funny look over it.  And now with Delta looking worse and worse, think I’m going to hold onto that mask for a bit longer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I did too.  But I never really got away from the mask. I don’t really gaf about someone shooting me a funny look over it.  And now with Delta looking worse and worse, think I’m going to hold onto that mask for a bit longer. 

This is what I'm thinking, especially since I got J&J.  

Edit: not that the mask really helps protect me, so I guess I'll just think twice about going out into public all willy nilly again, until we see what's happening with the variants.  Though at least I'm young and in good health.  Aside from drinking too much.

Edited by Biff Tannen

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is what I'm thinking, especially since I got J&J.  

Edit: not that the mask really helps protect me, so I guess I'll just think twice about going out into public all willy nilly again, until we see what's happening with the variants.  Though at least I'm young and in good health.  Aside from drinking too much.

Brother?   Yeah I'm still not hitting the bars etc, but I do fly often.  Mask will work as a reminder to keep my distance, etc.   I'm not as concerned about dying from it, I just don't want to get it, or bring it back to my littles.  

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Brother?   Yeah I'm still not hitting the bars etc, but I do fly often.  Mask will work as a reminder to keep my distance, etc.   I'm not as concerned about dying from it, I just don't want to get it, or bring it back to my littles.  

This is pretty much me.  About to be on planes quite a bit more and I don't want to be the guy that gets other people sick.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

And this is almost me too.  Pops isn't a retired doctor, but is 70 years old, 30lbs overweight, has COPD, and still hits the lung darts.  Proactively not getting the shot. 😟

7 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Spouse asked her doctor today if she should get an MRna shot to boost the J&J shot she got in March. Doc said she's following all this closely but there's not enough information at this point to be able to recommend it, and instead suggested getting antibody-tested to see how robust the response to the shot has been.

There are no firm thresholds for interpreting the antibody levels. Doc isn’t following closely enough imo. I’d just sign up and get an mRNA shot, but of course that is an individual decision to make. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

While the conventional wisdom is masks protect others, I definitely think it’s a great physical reminder to distance and wash hands AND it keeps you from touching your mucous membranes - all of which are great practices to avoid all kinds of bugs and viruses and germs, not only COVID.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Xian said:

Just found a local east texas republican shock jock just died of covid today. He claimed to have gotten the JJ vaccine. If so, things might be getting interesting out there for all the one dose people. 

If he got it then there should be documentation. Let’s see it. 

23 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If he got it then there should be documentation. Let’s see it. 

I mean, he just died yesterday.   Id imagine it takes time for government organizations to release official cod documents and study how it relates the jj shot   Assuming he was telling the truth and it doesnt get overlooked 

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

While the conventional wisdom is masks protect others, I definitely think it’s a great physical reminder to distance and wash hands AND it keeps you from touching your mucous membranes - all of which are great practices to avoid all kinds of bugs and viruses and germs, not only COVID.

I almost never get sick. I haven’t had the flu since the 90’s and never had a vaccine. I’ve known for a long time to keep my hands washed and not to touch my face unless my hands were washed. I caught a cold twice in the past 10-15 years and I know for sure that the first time was because an irresponsible friend shook my hand and neither practiced proper hygiene nor warned me that he had a cold. (He hosted our semi-weekly poker game and got two of us sick that way so from that night on I made sure we always had a bottle of hand sanitizer on the table.)

The last time I caught a cold I can only assume I touched a contaminated surface. I still carry a mask and will wear it if required. But I’m fully vaccinated. I still carry hand sanitizer and am even more conscious about keeping my hands clean than before. The last time I was at my sister’s place for Christmas, she, her daughter, her daughter’s boyfriend, and two of her sons all had colds. My mom was a nurse but she just couldn’t resist holding her grandsons on her lap. She got sick. I washed my hands religiously and when one of my nephews lied down on one of the pillows (from the shitty fold-out bed I was forced to sleep on) while we watched the Lord of the Rings movies, that pillow got banned. I was in a house full of coughing and sniffling sick people but I didn’t get sick. Keeping your distance and keeping your hands clean is your best defense.

But of course everyone should get vaccinated. You’re an idiot if you don’t so don’t mistake the point of my post. I’m just wanting to point out how important it is to always keep your hands clean even before Covid. 

9 minutes ago, Xian said:

I mean, he just died yesterday.   Id imagine it takes time for government organizations to release official cod documents and study how it relates the jj shot   Assuming he was telling the truth and it doesnt get overlooked 

Boom! It’s not difficult. From my 2nd dose of Pfizer. If I were dead then I wouldn’t care if you saw the other side of the card that shows my name and birth date. 

7C6DEF1D-4AB9-4D87-89C7-E1CA773781AD.jpeg

8 hours ago, Xian said:

Just found a local east texas republican shock jock just died of covid today. He claimed to have gotten the JJ vaccine. If so, things might be getting interesting out there for all the one dose people. 

95% effect still leaves 5%, but that’s for Alpha

I think against Delta, it’s like 88%. 

If he got J&J, wasn’t that further down like in the 70s for Alpha?

8 hours ago, Xian said:

I know who you are talking about-not personally, but we have some mutual friends-and I don’t see any reason to doubt it. He was posting on Facebook throughout his hospital stay and it came up in comments a few times that he had been vaccinated. And if you look back far enough, he posts about looking for the JJ vaccine specifically because he wanted one shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Mythbusters actually had a really excellent demonstration of this

While I agree with the message, I’d disagree with the obviously staged presentation. And I wonder if it’s the pop-up ads that prevented me from watching the embedded video here in this sub-forum and forced me to go watch it on YouTube.

But my goodness I hate that sensationalistic style of tv production. Sorry to be a bitch and if it conveys a positive message then that’s a good thing. But that’s not science. That’s theater, even if they’re conveying a scientifically sound message in theatrical form. That just bugs me. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

55 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I almost never get sick. I haven’t had the flu since the 90’s and never had a vaccine. I’ve known for a long time to keep my hands washed and not to touch my face unless my hands were washed. I caught a cold twice in the past 10-15 years and I know for sure that the first time was because an irresponsible friend shook my hand and neither practiced proper hygiene nor warned me that he had a cold. (He hosted our semi-weekly poker game and got two of us sick that way so from that night on I made sure we always had a bottle of hand sanitizer on the table.)

The last time I caught a cold I can only assume I touched a contaminated surface. I still carry a mask and will wear it if required. But I’m fully vaccinated. I still carry hand sanitizer and am even more conscious about keeping my hands clean than before. The last time I was at my sister’s place for Christmas, she, her daughter, her daughter’s boyfriend, and two of her sons all had colds. My mom was a nurse but she just couldn’t resist holding her grandsons on her lap. She got sick. I washed my hands religiously and when one of my nephews lied down on one of the pillows (from the shitty fold-out bed I was forced to sleep on) while we watched the Lord of the Rings movies, that pillow got banned. I was in a house full of coughing and sniffling sick people but I didn’t get sick. Keeping your distance and keeping your hands clean is your best defense.

But of course everyone should get vaccinated. You’re an idiot if you don’t so don’t mistake the point of my post. I’m just wanting to point out how important it is to always keep your hands clean even before Covid. 

Why have you chosen to never get the flu vaccine? I'm not attacking you for not getting it, I'm just curious. 

11 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Why have you chosen to never get the flu vaccine? I'm not attacking you for not getting it, I'm just curious. 

Just never felt the need. I don’t recall there even being a flu vaccine offered early in my life. And my dad was a doctor and my mom was a nurse. I remember getting vaccinated for polio, etc. when I was young. I remember my grandma having a big vaccination scar on her arm. I remember my mom having a smaller vaccination scar on her arm. I had an even smaller vaccination scar on my arm and that disappeared over time.

The few times I caught the flu weren’t that big of a deal. I mean it sucked for about a week or so but I managed it with over-the-counter drugs. I’m not happy that I had to drive about 10 miles to get my Pfizer shots at a Giant Eagle grocery store. I’m not even sure where I would’ve gone to get a flu vaccine. Probably would’ve had to make a doctor’s appointment. Couple that with the fact that years and years went by without ever catching it and that just reinforced my behavior which was apparently successful. Covid isn’t the flu. I’m not really afraid of the flu. I’ve had that before. As a former smoker, I’m afraid of Covid. I think that’s a lot more likely to kill me than the flu. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

While I agree with the message, I’d disagree with the obviously staged presentation. And I wonder if it’s the pop-up ads that prevented me from watching the embedded video here in this sub-forum and forced me to go watch it on YouTube.

But my goodness I hate that sensationalistic style of tv production. Sorry to be a bitch and if it conveys a positive message then that’s a good thing. But that’s not science. That’s theater, even if they’re conveying a scientifically sound message in theatrical form. That just bugs me. 

objection noted, not that anyone gives two shits