Machinator

Texas AD Chris Del Conte

7 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You’ve come to the right place to ask questions of the big dogs and cigars. 

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's bizarre witnessing the conflating of the concept of a boss being involved with who is doing what two levels below his rank and what people think about CDC's responsibilities. Anyone running orgs or large teams depends upon their immediate reports to win in their own right inside of their departments or divisions. Guys who do not do that, do not last long with a big remit. That considered, good leadership will know what's going on with key employees several levels below, even 3-4 levels below in certain roles and circumstances. I would guess anyone on this board with any experience dealing with orgs of 50 or more people will understand this unless they are truly new in their career or simply some small soldier in the regime that may not care because they're just passing through, such as a waiter, janitor, flight attendant, receptionist. 

Yet somehow, because this is Texas sports we're talking about, it's all so much different and larger for the people in charge. Running a $250million remit, with 300 people in it and a big brand makes it all totally incomprehensible for the rest of us. Right. It's all the fucking same. Del Conte understands the staff for the football team at Texas. He knows and speaks with the GAs, trainers, etc., on up. He knows them by name and will chat with them in the hallways. I've had a fucking GA tell me that. It isn't surprising. That's good leadership. While he's unlikely to be naming who comes and goes, he's absolutely going to be aware of who is performing and who isn't, what their qualifications are, and where they're headed. He's going to want to understand Herman's view on the same, and what his plans are for the future within his realm. 

Anyone taking a position counter to this doesn't know a fucking thing about the program, or, really, about how the real world functions on any meaningful level.

This makes sense to me. I don't know any big cigars or whatever, but given that Del Conte spends a lot of time answering bitchy tweets and talking to a bunch of random fans and alumni, I would expect him to definitely be more involved than certain other guys that were content to drive the bus off the cliff.

Edited by Bevo14

A few days ago, I sat by Chris del Conte at the Fallon taping on our campus.  A few days ago, I saw this Jamie Pollard guy at a job fair for disabled adults needing activities after corn harvest.  

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

A few days ago, I sat by Chris del Conte at the Fallon taping on our campus.  A fews ago, I saw this Jamie Pollard guy at a job fair for disabled adults needing activities after corn harvest.  

WTF? 

How are you confused?  It's meant to convey that CDC is on top of the world and this guy from Iowa State, in an effort to be funny, comes across as someone with a learning disability.  Or as they say in Iowa, upper management.  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

A few days ago, I sat by Chris del Conte at the Fallon taping on our campus.  A few days ago, I saw this Jamie Pollard guy at a job fair for disabled adults needing activities after corn harvest.  

schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

dear cdc: if you won't fix this shit, you will end up burning for it too.  it's not permissible.  it's not our standard.  in fact it's so far below anyone's standard it's comical you haven't fired orlando yet.  screw program stability.  we demand accountability, or a letter of resignation above your signature.

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Guess CDC will receive this tweet from Herman's people, aggy, and blOU 😠

would it be worth anyone's time for me to go through all the coaches that DIDN'T win multiple national championships after losing records in their third year? 

or is this particular fallacy just meant to be a smugface bumper sticker slogan? 

Ruh roh.  Was @Randolph Duke correct about stability?

cross posting from the phone # thread:

2 hours ago, torre said:

Excerpt from AAS:

Del Conte firmly remains in Herman’s corner, and it’s hard to blame him since he was the one who mistakenly extended the coach’s contract by two years after last season’s Sugar Bowl victory. 

Del Conte craves continuity and said Monday from his hospital bed after surgery for a torn labrum, bicep and rotator cuff, “We’ve got to create some stability, and we are. We’ve got work to do, and that’s what we’re doing. You have to trust the plan. We have to work our way out of this. Darrell Royal is not walking through that door.”

His may not be a blind leap of faith because Herman did go 10-4 in his second year, whip Georgia up and down the Superdome and split two games with Big 12 owner Oklahoma. The second season offered tremendous hope for 2019, but instead we’ve gotten a pedestrian offense, a wildly erratic and too often poor defense, and no momentum at all the second half of the season.

The fans are angry, and Del Conte should want them angry so long as they aren’t detached. This isn’t Herman’s first rodeo, but it’s his first major trouble after going 22-4 at Houston and now winning all three of his bowl games there and at Texas. He has to prove he can overcome this, but he’s never gone through anything quite like this, has he?

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-tom-herman-chris-del-conte-firm-head-coachs-ability-fix-texas/

On 11/16/2019 at 4:30 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

dear cdc: if you won't fix this shit, you will end up burning for it too.  it's not permissible.  it's not our standard.  in fact it's so far below anyone's standard it's comical you haven't fired orlando yet.  screw program stability.  we demand accountability, or a letter of resignation above your signature.

Ha. Yes, it is our standard. We've sucked for 10 years now, outside of 1 Sugar Bowl win. We haven't been our standard since 2009. 

It’s amazing how much incompetence is permitted at Texas 

maybe it is because they all make 6 and 7 figures and don’t really give a shit about winning 

they’re already winning. 

Skipped to this page, siaaaa: Torn labrum, bicep, rotator cuff? Wha' hoppen? Did he forget to let go of the tow rope after jumping the shark?

EDIT: previous page... 

Edited by Tex Long

I have the same thing and can't really point to one thing that happened.  Hoping to avoid surgery but I'm going on 6 months of hoping it gets better.

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Torn labrum, bicep and rotator cuff?  Wtf has CDC been doing?

tweeting emojis is hard on the shoulder

31 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Torn labrum, bicep and rotator cuff?  Wtf has CDC been doing?

Trying to keep Michelle happy while Tom is snorting coke is really, really hard.

34 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

I have the same thing and can't really point to one thing that happened.  Hoping to avoid surgery but I'm going on 6 months of hoping it gets better.

I had this exact same injury on my left shoulder 1 1/2 years ago.......go have surgery, it does not get better.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Ruh roh.  Was @Randolph Duke correct about stability?

cross posting from the phone # thread:

awesome.  our AD quotes Jason Garrett and Rick Pitino.  yeah here we go again. see you guys in 2 years for the next chapter of "Texas Football - I'm pissed I'm stunned it's..."

we are angry because a) we've seen this movie before and already know how it ends and b) recent history with MANY programs shows that the movie has been remade over and over again.  Title - Year 3 not better, never going to get back.

He has to say what he is saying now and year 4 was a given after the extensions baring a 2 or 3 win season.  if we roll to the expected 7-5 next year fuck continuity.

Edited by dcar00

After Friday’s game, Del Conte met with a small group of reporters and recounted all the tumult the university went through this decade. Multiple chancellors, presidents, athletic directors and coaches came and left, creating unprecedented turnover in key positions.

“Our organization has gone through a great deal of change and disruption in a short period of time,” Del Conte wrote to fans, “and it came on the heels of being a bastion of stability for so long with legends like DeLoss Dodds, Mack Brown, Augie Garrido and Rick Barnes leading the way.”

"But now we are firing the entire football staff, so I have faith in Herman!!"