Machinator

Texas AD Chris Del Conte

7 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You’ve come to the right place to ask questions of the big dogs and cigars. 

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's bizarre witnessing the conflating of the concept of a boss being involved with who is doing what two levels below his rank and what people think about CDC's responsibilities. Anyone running orgs or large teams depends upon their immediate reports to win in their own right inside of their departments or divisions. Guys who do not do that, do not last long with a big remit. That considered, good leadership will know what's going on with key employees several levels below, even 3-4 levels below in certain roles and circumstances. I would guess anyone on this board with any experience dealing with orgs of 50 or more people will understand this unless they are truly new in their career or simply some small soldier in the regime that may not care because they're just passing through, such as a waiter, janitor, flight attendant, receptionist. 

Yet somehow, because this is Texas sports we're talking about, it's all so much different and larger for the people in charge. Running a $250million remit, with 300 people in it and a big brand makes it all totally incomprehensible for the rest of us. Right. It's all the fucking same. Del Conte understands the staff for the football team at Texas. He knows and speaks with the GAs, trainers, etc., on up. He knows them by name and will chat with them in the hallways. I've had a fucking GA tell me that. It isn't surprising. That's good leadership. While he's unlikely to be naming who comes and goes, he's absolutely going to be aware of who is performing and who isn't, what their qualifications are, and where they're headed. He's going to want to understand Herman's view on the same, and what his plans are for the future within his realm. 

Anyone taking a position counter to this doesn't know a fucking thing about the program, or, really, about how the real world functions on any meaningful level.

This makes sense to me. I don't know any big cigars or whatever, but given that Del Conte spends a lot of time answering bitchy tweets and talking to a bunch of random fans and alumni, I would expect him to definitely be more involved than certain other guys that were content to drive the bus off the cliff.

Edited by Bevo14

A few days ago, I sat by Chris del Conte at the Fallon taping on our campus.  A few days ago, I saw this Jamie Pollard guy at a job fair for disabled adults needing activities after corn harvest.  

Edited by Lobo

How are you confused?  It's meant to convey that CDC is on top of the world and this guy from Iowa State, in an effort to be funny, comes across as someone with a learning disability.  Or as they say in Iowa, upper management.  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

A few days ago, I sat by Chris del Conte at the Fallon taping on our campus.  A few days ago, I saw this Jamie Pollard guy at a job fair for disabled adults needing activities after corn harvest.  

schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC