Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Surlyhorns - where none of the posters go to the games but hate on college kids going to EVERY game and easily being the loudest part of the stadium

jfc guys

I go to games. The Hellraisers are embarrassing as shit. You can go to the game and be loud without completely dorking out. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

We bitch about a lot of stuff on here... some miniscule and some more pressing things... but

we are literally ragging on our rowdiest fans. This may be one of the most flabbergasting threads on Surly right now.

we always bitch about the students not showing, or blue hairs driving up seating prices, or people not yelling or providing a homefield advantage or whatever... but jesus the HellRaisers are fine. If everyone was like them, we’d have the best home field advantage in all of football

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Patterson wanted the job and he and Mack had basically discussed it. They're very close. Patterson was upset about how we handled Mack's firing and told his UT buddies he's not interested in the job anymore. Exhibit C of how Mack has screwed us over. 

Remind me to send Mack some cookies. 

We bitch about a lot of stuff on here... some miniscule and some more pressing things... but

we are literally ragging on our rowdiest fans. This may be one of the most flabbergasting threads on Surly right now.

we always bitch about the students not showing, or blue hairs driving up seating prices, or people not yelling or providing a homefield advantage or whatever... but jesus the HellRaisers are fine. If everyone was like them, we’d have the best home field advantage in all of football

It encapsulates exactly why the stadium isn’t louder.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Caddox said:

I go to games. The Hellraisers are embarrassing as shit. You can go to the game and be loud without completely dorking out. 

Based on this thread and the grad transfer thread talking about the tOSU QB, I have come to the following conclusion:

your-opinions-are.jpg

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 3

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Greenspoint, but here we are. The Hellraisers are dumb and dorky, no doubt. But in the numerous games I've attended at DKR this miserable decade, they're barely a blip on my radar compared to:

• The bloviating weatherman
  • The blaring announcements and piped in music that squashes any attempt to create a true college football atmosphere in the stadium
  • The rows upon rows of empty seats near the 50 after halftime
  • Entire chunks of the student section missing because of the pants-on-head regarded student entrance policy last season
  • Jet pack guy
  • The lack of burnt orange
  • Godzillatron and the barrage of ads that accompany it
  • Most of all, the dogshit product on the field that has added insult to the injury that is the present-day Texas home game.

A couple dozen college students who find weird ways to show that they give a shit about the team is pretty low on my list of things that grind my gears when it comes to systematic failures in the DKR experience.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Based on this thread and the grad transfer thread talking about the tOSU QB, I have come to the following conclusion:

your-opinions-are.jpg

Your mom likes my opinions and they make her feel good.

Edited by Caddox

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Please don’t post Mac Engel like he’s a relevant source on anything sports related, forget even UT related

Mac Engel might be a legitimate retard. His articles and takes are mind blowingly dumb. 

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah, the article only has two purposes - First to throw out baseless speculation about CDC possibly coming for TCU's coaches and second to take potshots at UT's recent struggles in football and basketball.  Obviously written by a small-peen TCU homer.  Pure garbage.

THREE

3) The guy probably has a quota of columns (this doesn't really appear to be an "article", but rather a "column") to write each week.

This was probably an idea he came up with when CDC got hired and he and his editor decided to hold onto it until it was either relevant or neither of them could think of a single fucking thing for the guy to write.

Since CDC was actually IN Fort Worth, it kind of fell into the "relevant" category and this is kind of a dead period for sports as they relate to Fort Worth, so he went ahead and cashed in his "Will UT now come for our coaches?" chip.

If you follow soccer and read websites from England/ Spain/ Italy/ Argentina... you will see that day-after-day "articles" are written about absolutely nothing. Sometimes the entire article is 3 to 4 paragraphs written about the question "Would you ever consider playing for ______ at the end of your career?" that was asked in a press conference and received a response of "Sure, I'd consider it." because the player is being polite.

Shit articles/columns get published, because people need to earn their salary. This column was "Exhibit A".

4 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Listmaker lost me at 9. I go to a bar for the beer selection, I go the game to watch the game. To each their own, not embarrassed by the hell raisers but they do look laughable.

issa-joke.jpg

Edited by thepop

Wow I've heard some Chris Del Conte before but other than Chip Brown going "uh" between his pauses this guy sounds awesome.

26 page script of fucking advertisements stripped down to 1 page. No more momentum killers, this guy is the real deal. It ALL matters, stop fucking with the flow of the game and the atmosphere with these fucking ads.

CDC interview with OB (Anwar):

War room

(From Anwar)

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte visited Dallas and Fort Worth this week as part of the ‘This is Texas Tour.’ During the Fort Worth stop, there were around 240 Longhorn fans in attendance. Del Conte and members of the coaching staff addressed the crowd and answered questions during both stops this week.

Before Del Conte addressed Longhorn fans, he answered questions from a small number of reporters at the Fort Worth Stockyards Stations. Here is the transcript of Del Conte’s interview:

Q: Can you explain your previous comments about wanting a grass field?

A: If you look at Oklahoma and Iowa State, a lot of people have gone to a synthetic surface. I like the smell of grass, coming out and playing, but it’s a coach’s preference. My only preference is I like a grass field.

Q: He [Tom Herman] wants grass, too? 

A: We’ve had conservations about ‘Do you like grass?’ Ultimately, it’s a coach’s decision on if he wants grass or synthetic. If you think about it, how many schools on the West Coast are on synthetic, except USC and UCLA. You start thinking about the SEC schools, the majority of them are on synthetic. Football is meant to be played on grass. I like it. If you can grow grass, we’re in a great climate, grow grass.

Q: Can you talk about taking cars off San Jacinto and using golf carts?

A: A plethora (of golf carts). From the Three Amigos, “It’s your birthday. You have a plethora of gifts. Do you even know what plethora is? A bunch. I don’t know what plethora is, but I know you like a plethora. I like the sound of it.”

Q: Is that the plan?

A: The idea is two things. One is the idea, can we move the golf cart from the guard shack to the top when the alumni building goes down? Can we then move those cars on 21st Street?Then if you could do that, you have a plethora of golf carts going back and forth. You can then create great social space in front of the stadium. That’s really just the idea. That’s what we’re planning on doing right now. The idea on the LBJ lot is having an ACL concert every game on the lawn. The bowl. The bowl works better because it creates a little bit of an amphitheater, and you feel like you’re at a special event coming in on that side. The other side is there’s 28,000 people, 21,000 people, that go to Lot 1. That one first gate. Can we have them matriculate through this fan fest and in different gates? It’s just a way to attract a different event around our campus. Lot 21, if you face your cars going up, you can get right out. At the end of the game, my recollection is it’s such a pain in the rear end because you’re dumping so many people, cars are backing up. If you can get them in one direction, and traffic moving better, then do it.

Q: Do you want to get rid of Scott Fisher, the weather guy?

A: No, no. I was using that as an example. What I’m trying to get out is at in a game, we have so many stops. Every first-down is sponsored. We have so many things going on. Can we just get back to the band, the music, the game, and not necessarily so many things that detract? If there’s a great hit, or a great interception, we go right to a halftime presentation, or quarter-break presentation. You draw attention from momentum. The idea is to shrink the amount of calls you have during a game to a one-sheet script. That’s kind of the thought.

Q: Any different approach to student ticket distribution?

A: No, it will be general admission, but we have one student section. It will go basically from the 50 to the end-zone. It will be general admission. You create a first-come, first-served. You create an opportunity. If you’re going to come in that corner of the stadium, you want to flip the quarter and go the other way. You want to create a hostile environment. Students bring such a huge momentum, but when you had them split up in different areas of the stadium, you distract from that concept.

Q: Do you want an environment like TCU where as soon as the gates open, students are running to seats?

A: They’re running, they’re there, and they have a place. They know when it’s general admission, and it’s first-come, first-served, you have a concert … You’re basically trying to get 28,000 students from west campus to come to our side of campus early. You have to have different things for them to come to. If you’re 18 to 20-years-old, you like to stay in your fraternity and sorority house a little longer than possible before you come over. I get that. I was that age once before.

Q: Does that mean you’re putting a DJ on the field?

A: I think it means we’re looking at all kinds of concepts. Tom and the student-athletes want a different type of music during warm-ups. We put the speakers down there. If you saw what we did during the spring game, we played a lot of different concepts to see how it was applicable, what would work and not work.

Q:But Charlie Strong did the same thing, and by midseason, the speakers were gone.

A: It’s different. It’s not about all the time being on. During warm-ups, you don’t blare it over the loudspeakers. When you have a single-source system, and you’re blaring music … when you put them on the field, it becomes where the field is.

Q: How much is the tour is making sure all fans feel a part of Texas?

A: It’s their stadium. It’s their school. We’re just a conduit. The survey was just give me your feedback, and take their feedback and say what can we do within the constraints of what our system is … lower concessions, a better in-game experience, a better parking experience, and look at the new stadium and say what can we do within it that provides an experience that is different. That’s part of the puzzle. Obviously, we can say Tom needs to win. We all know football needs to be successful, but just like the idea of going to Disney, the experience all around the ride is dictated by Disney. The three-hour wait for the ride is what takes forever, but the kids come back constantly because they had an unbelievable experience. It’s no different than what we’re trying to do. You can’t do it without engaging them. I might be over the top on social media, but to me, the idea I’d rather have our entire staff follow. If I say the restroom stall nine is broken, and we’ll fix it, we can go get it done. If we don’t, then we’ll have a different conversation. We’re not only saying we’re doing, but we’re trying to be responsive to that. All of these ideas are not novel. It’s just how you package them to better serve our constituents.

Q: Doesn’t the Disney experience begin in the parking lot?

A: Sure. No question. The difference at Texas compared to A&M or TCU is we had a lot of surface lots at TCU. We have no surface lots. We’re all parking garages. The idea of coming to a game and hanging out in a parking lot with a muffler next door doesn’t make much sense. You come to a game to go to a concert, come to have a bunch of food trucks around, have a different experience, a basic carnival experience around the stadium, it’s going to take us three years. The first we’re going to make a lot of mistakes. The second year we’ll get better. By year three things will be really humming, but we can’t just give up. It’s going to take a while. It’s not going to happen overnight, but if you don’t try, and you continue to tweak it … I’m taking a big leap of faith by putting a concert on LBJ lawn, but if you have a night game, and they come, and it makes a festive environment, and the night game goes to the next game, it’s going to be good. It will be a little harder at an 11 o’clock game, but it will be alright. You’ve just got to do it. Lastly, there was a comment made about the arena. When the president floated that idea to me, there’s just no way that’s going to work, in my mind. It actually works. Only in Austin. Maybe Nashville if Nashville didn’t have the Predators because it’s the music industry. They want to be in Austin. When a million people go through the drum, think through that. That’s a lot of people coming through the venue on a concert. Imagine what that would be if it was a brand-new venue. That idea really came from him.

Q: Has Texas abandoned the idea of paying for the building?

A: We never abandoned it. It was let us explore this concept, a private-public partnership. That’s really been the exploration. When I first heard it, I wasn’t sure how it would work. It’s actually a great, novel concept. It would work only in very few cities that have that demand of the music entertainment industry. I don’t think it could work anywhere else. It works in Austin. If you look at any major concert, they tell you one thing. You used to buy your LPs and CDs. That’s where you made your money. Now they make it on the road. Everyone tells us they have to be in Houston. They have to be in Austin. They have to be in Dallas. So, we’re in a very good spot for the idea to take fruition. I applaud president (Greg) Fenves completely. I was at first scratching my head because I’m not too sure what he’s talking about. But I’m like, okay, my man. I’ve been to enough concerts at the venue to say it works.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Scholz said:

Q: Do you want to get rid of Scott Fisher, the weather guy?

A: No, no. I was using that as an example. What I’m trying to get out is at in a game, we have so many stops. Every first-down is sponsored. We have so many things going on. Can we just get back to the band, the music, the game, and not necessarily so many things that detract? If there’s a great hit, or a great interception, we go right to a halftime presentation, or quarter-break presentation. You draw attention from momentum. The idea is to shrink the amount of calls you have during a game to a one-sheet script. That’s kind of the thought.

Please let this happen.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 12:10 PM, TornACL said:

Mac Engel might be a legitimate retard. His articles and takes are mind blowingly dumb. 

Ever listen to the radio show of the sports reporter he married?  It was a 3-hour whine 5 days a week.

He may have judgment issues.

Q: Does that mean you’re putting a DJ on the field?

A: I think it means we’re looking at all kinds of concepts. Tom and the student-athletes want a different type of music during warm-ups. We put the speakers down there. If you saw what we did during the spring game, we played a lot of different concepts to see how it was applicable, what would work and not work.

pm Glen from the Mail Room

Edited by clapclapclap

46 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

The speakers on the field looks like some high school type shit. Music the athletes and coaches want during pregame should be catered to them IMO.

The solution is to play six different songs all at one time making an audio terror across the stadium so everyone gets a chance to bitch equally about what songs are being played.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Believe me, if Mrs. Brat & I showed up stripped to the waist with painted faces and drunk on box wine, the team would be playing to an empty stadium.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Del Conte gets it. He knows we demand pics of wives and daughters.

https://twitter.com/_delconte/status/995502352193982464?s=21

Isn't he really tall?

If so, and I know that the ladies are all wearing heels, there are some tall ladies under his roof. (And two of them look like they're still growing.)

#FutureVolleyballRecruits?

On 5/10/2018 at 10:16 AM, Caddox said:

the dorks are the ones at PCL during our games. i hope CDC re-energizes all of our student groups. it's desperately needed with all the soulless dorks roaming campus these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

Bring back the Slippery Rock scores.

I always thought it'd be great to bring Slippery Rock in to play one of their games on a weekend that Texas played out of town.  I'd have totally gone to see them play football.

I've actually seen a Slippery Rock game, back in the 70s. They played Texas A&I. Javelinas steamrolled 'em, something like 69-2. The 2 was a blocked punt that went out of the endzone. I picked up the ball, because the whole thing happened not 10 yards from my on-the-field endzone seat.  Good times. Can't remember who the d-back was, but I witnessed a 105 yard interception return for a touchdown in that game, too. It's kind of surreal to see that from field level from the opposite end zone.  Looked a little like violent ballet.

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I've actually seen a Slippery Rock game, back in the 70s. They played Texas A&I. Javelinas steamrolled 'em, something like 69-2. The 2 was a blocked punt that went out of the endzone. I picked up the ball, because the whole thing happened not 10 yards from my on-the-field endzone seat.  Good times. Can't remember who the d-back was, but I witnessed a 105 yard interception return for a touchdown in that game, too. It's kind of surreal to see that from field level from the opposite end zone.  Looked a little like violent ballet.

Darryl green?