Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I worked in Crested Butte one ski season. It is only two mountain ridges from Aspen, but might as well be in another state. 

CB is far and away the most isolated, least international major resort in Colorado. It will still likely get closed down soon, but if you were going to be at any of the resorts in Colorado, Crested Butte is the one that you would have wanted to be at this past week. 

(Now working there in my younger years and living in a fishing cabin 20 miles down the road in Almont... I soon realized that my time on the mountain was not going to be like dropping into a tits&ass movie like I had hoped.)

The movie was called Aspen Extreme, not Crested Butte Extreme.  Had you gone to Aspen, your experience might have been different.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:
21 hours ago, Landomatic said:
Yeah, I mean, I’m about the least conspiracy theory, sky is falling, apocalypse person on earth.  But if anyone is non-essentially traveling right now, you’re a selfish piece of shit.  And fuck you for doing this to the rest of us.  Seriously...get a fucking grip.

Supposed to go to Alaska to meet the gf family finally. I think I may get out of that a little while longer but I was looking forward to go to Alaska

we all know there’s only one place you should be:

7CB4906E-F4BC-4572-8A43-FC51CA39F50F.jpeg

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The movie was called Aspen Extreme, not Crested Butte Extreme.  Had you gone to Aspen, your experience might have been different.

I’m a bit older. 

The movie was called “Hot Dog: The Movie”.

No specific location was mentioned, I don’t believe. 

• Like 3

Fuck getting near an airport. 

Yeah....those of us with international students at uni in Canada have been discussing. Right now, no classes for the next two weeks, and not sure what the plan will be after that.
Some parents are flipping out and having their kids come home RIGHT NOW. Scenes like this are a big part of the reason we’re of the other school of thought: let them stay in place, and if classes go online, then you’ve got the flexibility on when to leave Canada for the US.
Of course, that all depends on if there’s any travel at all by then. If not, then she had options for places to hunker down.
Don’t travel if you don’t have to. When you need to, be deliberate and get it done.
And yeah, we’re worried as shit, and hate that her first year of school is ending this way, and...there you have it. We still need to do the right thing.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Not downplaying this at all, but this made me laugh harder than it should have:

"It was a British Airways flight, and the spokesman could not confirm where the flight was coming from."

Cabotage / fifth freedom tho

49 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Out of context ?  I just responded to his exact post. I didn't post any little bit of his post.

I cut and pasted the wrong post — Sorry!!!  Meant to grab the one just above your post.  I can only blame in on my lack of coffee at the time

Edited by AustinMT

I contacted the four AirBnB in Spain that we are scheduled to stay at in Spain yesterday.  One came back and said they completely understand the cancellation and no problem on a full refund.  A second said sorry we're only offering cancellations through the end of March so right now we're keeping your money.  I haven't heard from the other two yet.

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

I contacted the four AirBnB in Spain that we are scheduled to stay at in Spain yesterday.  One came back and said they completely understand the cancellation and no problem on a full refund.  A second said sorry we're only offering cancellations through the end of March so right now we're keeping your money.  I haven't heard from the other two yet.

The son is trying g to cancel our AirBNB in Park city now. Policy was after 48 hours it was 50%. Hoping they waive that, or at least let us re schedule our trip for next season, which we would for sure.  PC will be closed by the end of the day I bet anyway.

33 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

If you want to do a day trip (though Shamrock might be a bit far)

Rattlesnake round-up in Sweetwater still going on this weekend, as well as the Shamrock Tx St Patrick's day celebration

Why is the PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!! crowd unwilling to take any right now and instead is waiting on the government to tell them when they can’t do something?

people, wake the fuck up. Take some responsibility for the sake of your community and for the lives of others. Stop being ignorant, selfish pricks.

• Like 2

Why is the PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!! crowd unwilling to take any right now and instead is waiting on the government to tell them when they can’t do something?
people, wake the fuck up. Take some responsibility for the sake of your community and for the lives of others. Stop being ignorant, selfish pricks.
All for personal responsibility as long as it doesn't inconvenience them. This is America and I do what I want!
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The whole thing has so many stories, and theories going around who do you believe ?  I look to the gov't for certain things. The general, and in this case the specific health, and welfare of the public is one of those things ......... generally.  

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

The whole thing has so many stories, and theories going around who do you believe ?  I look to the gov't for certain things. The general, and in this case the specific health, and welfare of the public is one of those things ......... generally.  

What does that mean?

On 3/13/2020 at 11:04 AM, After irth said:

NYC hospital staffing procedures and, oh...let’s say, rural Texas hospital staffing procedures are just a bit different. 

You can put off elective procedures anywhere, the staffing issues that rural towns face are the same pandemic or not. thats the risk of living in rural/remote places. 

10 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Fuck getting near an airport. 

These airport images are strikingly similar to the ones in the following article.

Philadelphia didn't cancel a parade during a 1918 pandemic. The results were devastating

(CNN)The spread of the novel coronavirus has resulted in events being postponed or canceled across the country -- everything from the NBA and concerts touniversities and schools has been affected.

It might be enough to make people wonder: Is all this necessary?
The answer is yes. Just look at Philadelphia in 1918, and the spread of the flu.

How the Spanish flu hit Philadelphia...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/us/philadelphia-1918-spanish-flu-trnd/index.html

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What does that mean?

That means if the federal or local gov't says stay home, don't go anywhere, stay off planes, this is serious I'm certainly going to heed it. Otherwise I'm going to limit myself to prudent movement as the situation evolves.  Stop trying to make an issue with me because I refuse to just go into a cave somewhere till it blows over unless that is an order form the authorities.

This issue came up earlier this month and the OP seemed appalled that we should heed the federal gov;t about quarantines.  This could become an example of that in action. In which case I'll abide by that decision.

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That means if the federal or local gov't says stay home, don't go anywhere, stay off planes, this is serious I'm certainly going to heed it. Otherwise I'm going to limit myself to prudent movement as the situation evolves.  Stop trying to make an issue with me because I refuse to just go into a cave somewhere till it blows over unless that is an order form the authorities.

This issue came up earlier this month and the OP seemed appalled that we should heed the federal gov;t about quarantines.  This could become an example of that in action. In which case I'll abide by that decision.

I hear if you wear your Zika virus shirt, SARS shorts and Y2K socks, you’re immune to mass hysteria created by the media.

• Haha 1

Yeah....those of us with international students at uni in Canada have been discussing. Right now, no classes for the next two weeks, and not sure what the plan will be after that.
Some parents are flipping out and having their kids come home RIGHT NOW. Scenes like this are a big part of the reason we’re of the other school of thought: let them stay in place, and if classes go online, then you’ve got the flexibility on when to leave Canada for the US.
Of course, that all depends on if there’s any travel at all by then. If not, then she had options for places to hunker down.
Don’t travel if you don’t have to. When you need to, be deliberate and get it done.
And yeah, we’re worried as shit, and hate that her first year of school is ending this way, and...there you have it. We still need to do the right thing.

What part of Canada? Can’t they drive?
  • Like 1

How about the nation’s disease expert? It’s coming. I’d hate to be away from home when it does. 
Trump said yesterday not to fly if you don’t have to. 

Honestly probably should have been done last week.

Any day this happens sooner probably saves us tens of thousands of beds on there healthcare system