Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

• 2 weeks later...

Talking to my mom last night, I threw out, "hey, maybe we'll come up Memorial Day weekend".  My wife has mentioned a couple times that we need to go see Grandma this summer, so I got some tentative plans out there.  It's a 6-7 hour drive, depending on bathroom breaks, meals along the way, etc.  So after I got off the phone, my wife says that's way too soon, this deal is not over yet, we'll be endangering my 81 year old mother.  Is this also the opinion of the Surly collective? Is a 7 hour drive across Texas more dangerous than it's ever been from a Covid perspective?

You asked.
To tie it back to travel it means Americans are rapidly becoming perceived globally as ground zero for pandemic death and futility. That's going to impact how soon countries worth traveling to are going to accept Americans on their shores again. The worse this is handled and the worse this gets perceived the longer we're looking at being mostly unable to travel outside the US. 
Whose sock is this?

4 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
On 4/22/2020 at 2:50 PM, Wanker Bob said:
You asked.
To tie it back to travel it means Americans are rapidly becoming perceived globally as ground zero for pandemic death and futility. That's going to impact how soon countries worth traveling to are going to accept Americans on their shores again. The worse this is handled and the worse this gets perceived the longer we're looking at being mostly unable to travel outside the US. 

Whose sock is this?

Guessing junior miller...you know, the guy who was threatening to kill his wife on here.  Same passive aggressive forcing of politics where they don't belong.

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo
51 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

After all, you can't be infected with AIDS twice

Hey, it ain't gay when you're aweigh.

This is absolutely fucking insane by the cruise industry.  But yeah, tens of thousands will show off their gusto and disposable income by signing up for the first few trips and they will bring this virus to every fucking port, decimating local populations without access to good health care.  I'm an alarmingly staunch advocate of the free market, so these people and the ships can do what they want and only one rule will be enforced.  You get sick, you have to go get health care in the country of your ship's FOC.  So good luck with that robust ventilator supply in Liberia, all the Hydrocloriquine you can eat in Malta, or the Marshall Island's renown vaccination programs.  

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Have you seen the people that want to go on cruises?

Walk into any Walmart, picture those people sunburned, drunk and in much too little clothing than should be allowed based on BMI.

There’s your clientele for a Galveston based Carnival cruise.

9 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Walk into any Walmart, picture those people sunburned, drunk and in much too little clothing than should be allowed based on BMI.

There’s your clientele for a Galveston based Carnival cruise.

There is no way I would get on a Carnival cruise out of Galveston in the best of circumstances.

Talking to my mom last night, I threw out, "hey, maybe we'll come up Memorial Day weekend".  My wife has mentioned a couple times that we need to go see Grandma this summer, so I got some tentative plans out there.  It's a 6-7 hour drive, depending on bathroom breaks, meals along the way, etc.  So after I got off the phone, my wife says that's way too soon, this deal is not over yet, we'll be endangering my 81 year old mother.  Is this also the opinion of the Surly collective? Is a 7 hour drive across Texas more dangerous than it's ever been from a Covid perspective?

I don’t think the drive is the danger. The danger is if you, or anyone in your family, is asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic but contagious. Can you get tests? If you can get a test for everyone in your family, you could quarantine for a week before so that if you were exposed to the virus unknowingly in the Days leading up to your trip, there would be time for the virus to build either antibodies or a sufficient viral load to show up on the test. So after y’all quarantine for a week, you and your family take the test right before you drive across Texas. As long as no one tests positive and you haven’t interacted with anyone for a week or so, you’re probably good and not putting her at risk. Of course, there are people that don’t test positive until like 20 days after exposure, so you can never be 100% sure. But I don’t think that’s common.

Problem, obviously, is that tests are hard to come by, costly, and I’m not sure if you can buy them for “recreational” purposes at this point.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beef said:

We just canceled Jackson Hole for middle of June.

Any particular reason over another as to why? Not wanting to fly, parks possible still closed, restaurants, etc?

I am about 98% for sure going in June. Even if I do nothing it will be worthwhile to be out of the humidity. 

Some of the airlines have cancellation deals that run through the end of May.  We cancelled our Belize trip for the middle of June because United has a program right now that gives you 2 years to use the tickets. 

Edited by kevwun

Cancun is looking to reopen starting in June and are starting a Come 2 Cancun campaign with 2 for 1 hotel night incentives. I would like to go in August if possible. I am assuming that the Mexican and the US governments will allow non-essential travel by then.  Hoping that the hot ass weather will dampen the spread and allow a semi normal beach experience to happen. If they have precautions that will allow at least 50% occupancy for restaurants and nightclubs I will pull the trigger. I am going to wait until mid-June to see how things play out.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

United has a program right now that gives you 2 years to use the tickets. 

I wish BA/AA was doing that. They’re giving refunds/vouchers, but no way I’ll get a pair of Biz tix for $1250/ea again. Got a couple months, so maybe. Would be nice to have the option to use same tix just later date. (Which I probably won’t know what dates until after I’ll need to postpone as I’m pretty sure there won’t be events to go to as originally planned.)

I should have said 2 years to use the credits.  I had to cancel the tickets.  I don't think anyone is letting you redeem the original tickets at a point in the future.  I have had to cancel with 3 different airlines and they all gave credits.

Edited by kevwun

Anyone cancelled flights they bought using chase rewards points? Cancelled a Cancun trip first week of June with tickets mostly bought with rewards. They won’t let us call to cancel flights through Chase til 14 days before the trip, but I’m hoping to just get my points/cash refunded. We were flying AA/AeroMexico

On 5/4/2020 at 6:52 AM, CycleTex87 said:

So, we were supposed to be heading to Italy this week.  Since that got cancelled, the GF and I decided to take a drive up the CA coast.   Of course, TX is different than CA in many ways, but the biggest issue we faced was the lack of available toilets.  Most gas stations, fast food joints, etc had locked up their restrooms.

Meanwhile, the CA coast is fucking beautiful.  San Diego to Morro Bay.   Overnight in Santa Maria, another in Santa Barbara.  Picture-perfect weather.  I would love to have enjoyed great restaurants, but the take-out thing works OK if you get the right mindset. 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:50 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, I was supposed to be flying to Paris on Wednesday.  Fucking Coronavirus.

Italy here, so this hits close to home. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

flights to Kauai are $350+ right now so I just jumped on that for september, anyone been to Kauai it will be the first time

Yeah.  It will be about what you expect.    Beaches, boats, sun, blah blah blah. 

Any particular reason over another as to why? Not wanting to fly, parks possible still closed, restaurants, etc?
I am about 98% for sure going in June. Even if I do nothing it will be worthwhile to be out of the humidity. 

We were flying into Boise (check out the blue turf) and drive over, but Idaho has a 14 day quarantine going on that started a week ago. So I flipped to SLC, they have a travel declaration you have to fill out which isn’t a big deal. Wyoming is making non-residents buy a year fishing pass instead of a day pass too which I think is BS.

We had the chance to back out now and get everything fully refunded and move on instead of being in limbo the next 30 days. We didn’t want to get a week out and shits still shutdown or they put a self quarantine in place. The lady at our VRBO said of the National Parks open up the middle of May, everything else should follow.

19 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I wish BA/AA was doing that. They’re giving refunds/vouchers, but no way I’ll get a pair of Biz tix for $1250/ea again. Got a couple months, so maybe. Would be nice to have the option to use same tix just later date. (Which I probably won’t know what dates until after I’ll need to postpone as I’m pretty sure there won’t be events to go to as originally planned.)

Son was supposed to fly BA in August and he said he got notice that they were extending they expiration date to the end of 2021.

Airlines should work together (yea, probably a pipe dream) to figure out how to do rapid testing and then test people before they board. If you're negative you fly. If you're positive you don't. At least start with international flights. I'd be willing to go to the airport several hours early to still make our Italy trip in September. Lots of holes in this no doubt, but it has to be better than not flying at all. 

• Like 1

Well I just doubled down on Banff for July.  Upgrade for 2 tix to Calgary in first from the February economy purchase was under $400.  Figure if we're able to go there without quarantine there will be less contact with other passengers (assuming the flights are filling by then), and there won't be any cancellation/change fees if the trip can't be made.

42 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Have a hiking trip booked for the Teton Crest Trail (GTNP) at the end of August. We’re still all planning on going but I don’t have anything else between now and then. 

Awesome.  Tetons are phenomenal and that trail is definitely on my list.

19 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Have a hiking trip booked for the Teton Crest Trail (GTNP) at the end of August. We’re still all planning on going but I don’t have anything else between now and then. 

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Awesome.  Tetons are phenomenal and that trail is definitely on my list.

I believe I’ve done that hike. We took a detour around “The Wall” and camped out at Kit Lake. The spot provided amazing views down Avalanche Canton.