The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

9 hours ago, BTW said:

Well, I just got notification that the Bronco I reserved on July 14, 2020 will go into production the first week of March.  I sounds like I should get it around the first week of April.  It has been a  VERY long wait.  I hope it's worth it.  This will be the first vehicle I've ever bought without even driving one ... I sure hope I like it.

Even if you don't, you can probably unload it at a premium. 

NHTSA finally approves adaptive/Matrix headlights for the U.S.
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-technology-business-health-congress-761cac7ae30a03ab6a399b9676ae44bb

Nissan Altimas, Toyota Corollas and Kia Optimas may continue to engage their high-beam candlepowers full-time while early-2000-era lifted trucks remain permitted to fit $129 Alibaba HID kits in their reflector housings.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

NHTSA finally approves adaptive/Matrix headlights for the U.S.
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-technology-business-health-congress-761cac7ae30a03ab6a399b9676ae44bb

Nissan Altimas, Toyota Corollas and Kia Optimas may continue to engage their high-beam candlepowers full-time while early-2000-era lifted trucks remain permitted to fit $129 Alibaba HID kits in their reflector housings.

Hope this takes effect soon.  Matrix lights are the shit.

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So what do you do if you have a 3/4-ton or 1-ton?  Surely there is construction guys that live out there.

looking through the reasoning expressed in the ordinance, it's not a design limit, it's to keep sight-seeing buses off tertiary streets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I said to my wife last night 'can't imagine what it's like for those people who may have waited a year to get their new Porsche'. Then I realized how ridiculous of a comment that was.

I send the captain of the yacht to pick mine up in person.. They stow it in the toy garage and bring it home.  I like knowing that it’s in good hands.

#surly1%

• Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 8:13 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

That ship sure is riding high out of the water to be carrying a big cargo load as mentioned....it looks like the aft props are exposed. Are they sure it has a loaded cargo, or is the picture an optical illusion?

22C7715B-04F5-4A44-A7FB-89DEF092A3DD.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Any of you fuckers do Xpel PPF on your cars?  I've never spent the money for it, but I think I might on the RS6.  Prices paid and experience with it?

Absolutely and only Xpel, being a San Antonio based company with excellent customer service and warranty coverage.  Full front clip (full hood, bumper, headlights, mirror caps) plus rocker moldings and rear hatch 'apron' area of the bumper.  That'll run you somewhere between $2,000-$2800 but it's been a while since I've installed it on a new car.  Licensed XPel installers have access to their online system of templates that makes for an easier, custom-cut install via vinyl plotter cuts.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Absolutely and only Xpel, being a San Antonio based company with excellent customer service and warranty coverage.  Full front clip (full hood, bumper, headlights, mirror caps) plus rocker moldings and rear hatch 'apron' area of the bumper.  That'll run you somewhere between $2,000-$2800 but it's been a while since I've installed it on a new car.  Licensed XPel installers have access to their online system of templates that makes for an easier, custom-cut install via vinyl plotter cuts.

What are your thoughts on ceramic paint protection?  The dealer is doing that as part of the $5k market adjustment I'm paying.  Not sure I want it, though.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

What are your thoughts on ceramic paint protection?  The dealer is doing that as part of the $5k market adjustment I'm paying.  Not sure I want it, though.

Do it, but tell the dealer to fuckoff on everything possible.  No pre-delivery prep, leave as much of the plastic wrap on as possible.

Take it to a trusted detailer first for a "correction" detail, then have the XPel applied.  Once it's set and cured, then the ceramic goes on top, and it needs to be a legit product like CarPro cQuartz UK or Opti-Coat Pro.  Hand washes only after that.

I've got a guy in Dallas who can do it all for you in one go if you have the time.

1 minute ago, Gravy Train said:

Do it, but tell the dealer to fuckoff on everything possible.  No pre-delivery prep, leave as much of the plastic wrap on as possible.

Take it to a trusted detailer first for a "correction" detail, then have the XPel applied.  Once it's set and cured, then the ceramic goes on top, and it needs to be a legit product like CarPro cQuartz UK or Opti-Coat Pro.  Hand washes only after that.

I've got a guy in Dallas who can do it all for you in one go if you have the time.

Hand washes only?  That's a no-go in CO winters...

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Hand washes only?  That's a no-go in CO winters...

Don't wash it in winter or just hose it down on occasion?  A good ceramic coating will prevent a bulk of road grime from sticking to the paint-- and it rinses off far easier than uncoated.  The problem with automatic washes is that in order to minimize paint contact with brushes, their soaps are cooked-up with a cocktail of chemicals that quickly strip sealants and coatings from the clearcoat.  Then you have unavoidable contact with the truly barbaric apparatus of automatic washes-- wheel brushes.  That shitty mechanism not only drags over shit collected from the car ahead of you, but runs down the lower door beltline and rocker moldings before it makes contact with the rear wheel.  It already does a number on gloss painted wheel surfaces.

4 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Don't wash it in winter or just hose it down on occasion?  A good ceramic coating will prevent a bulk of road grime from sticking to the paint-- and it rinses off far easier than uncoated.  The problem with automatic washes is that in order to minimize paint contact with brushes, their soaps are cooked-up with a cocktail of chemicals that quickly strip sealants and coatings from the clearcoat.  Then you have unavoidable contact with the truly barbaric apparatus of automatic washes-- wheel brushes.  That shitty mechanism not only drags over shit collected from the car ahead of you, but runs down the lower door beltline and rocker moldings before it makes contact with the rear wheel.  It already does a number on gloss painted wheel surfaces.

The issue here is that when it snows, they spray magnesium chloride on the roads.  That shit is sticky and nasty and a hose down ain't getting rid of it.

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

Also PPF is ghetto AF. Maybe put a little on the rockers right behind the wheels

Partial-hood and yellowed PPF is ghetto.  Custom cut and full-panel PPF is great when every highway driven is also populated with work trucks and deteriorating expansion joints chipping away at the paint.

A full body wrap is expensive and not ideal for your color.  I do like the matte films and gloss black films for color changes and roof lines.

My color?

I have my X5M done with Xpel PPF. It just gets marred and gouged over time and looks like shit. Paint gets chipped from time to time. Go to your dealers chip guy and have them fixed every now and again. Or rip off all your PPF and start over.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

My color?

I have my X5M done with Xpel PPF. It just gets marred and gouged over time and looks like shit. Paint gets chipped from time to time. Go to your dealers chip guy and have them fixed every now and again. Or rip off all your PPF and start over.

Color referring to Chewbacca's RS6 on order-- PPF stands to mute that deep Sonoma Green.  

I think I'd rather have film replaced than to try and color match chips on your X5M or his RS6.  I'd always notice it and it would drive me nuts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, G650 said:

Also PPF is ghetto AF. Maybe put a little on the rockers right behind the wheels

Yeah, uhm, no.  If you track your cars it is definitely worth it.  Rockers don’t protect the front bumper, hood and roof from rocks and rubber.  

For the 992, I wrapped the entire car in xpel and then ceramic on top of that.  

991 front half is wrapped with ceramic on top of that.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Any of you fuckers do Xpel PPF on your cars?  I've never spent the money for it, but I think I might on the RS6.  Prices paid and experience with it?

through natural daily use my car collects enough shit that paying a few K for any partial-ppf seems like futility.  id rather just pay for a full re-detail and paint correction at 1 point down the line. 

OR, if i was precious around the originality of the factory paint.... do a full wrap and get the bonus of having a 'second' custom color for the cars appearance

On 2/17/2022 at 9:13 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

While at the gym this morning I saw a blurb on the TV and they estimate the value of the cargo in that ship at $330,000,000

Be curious to see if it holds to that timeframe. My F250 is steadily sliding backwards. Every few days I get a notification that production has been pushed back a week on it, so I’m already almost a month later than when the first notification came. Still waiting on  the Bronco production notice. Ordered a 2 door, so dealer thinks it should be this spring sometime.

Just got an update … 0baa0ce728fbe2e5fb570c0d230731c0.jpg
Pushed one week from original production date, so far.

Well, waiting is better than what Mercedes Sprinter does...they just build it with the parts on hand, and if they don't have the parts for your options, they just leave the option off of your order. Somehow mine slipped through with all my ordered options ,much to the disbelief of my salesman.