The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 1/16/2022 at 11:23 AM, General Specific said:

Blackwing

Congrats! I had a last-gen CTS V-Sport and then upgraded to the ATS-V after I fried my brakes at a track day. I was very into the Alpha platform and LF3/LF4 engine, but sold the ATS-V when the used car market went bonkers last year. I'll probably look to get a CT4-BW once the market calms back down and I can get one like a year old with <10k miles, which is how my cheap ass rolls. Let me know if you have questions or want references to some enthusiast groups.

BTW, I believe the ATS-V/CT4-BW is superior to its big brother counterpart once you tune it, since it's already more nimble but becomes comparable from a power/weight perspective. But I'm biased :).

FB_IMG_1533551262732.jpg

V-Sport Track.jpg

IMG_6927.JPG

IMG_6930.JPG

Edited by choripan
downsize pics
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I do like the other Cadillac V stuff, I just think the Escalade is an abomination. It’s like bedazzled jeans.

Yeah exactly where I'm at.

ETA: I find Tahoes/Suburbans/Escalades to be possibly the worst handling vehicles produced currently. Very similar to my buddies old '72 Buick Riviera.

Edited by G650
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 7:39 PM, choripan said:

Congrats! I had a last-gen CTS V-Sport and then upgraded to the ATS-V after I fried my brakes at a track day. I was very into the Alpha platform and LF3/LF4 engine, but sold the ATS-V when the used car market went bonkers last year. I'll probably look to get a CT4-BW once the market calms back down and I can get one like a year old with <10k miles, which is how my cheap ass rolls. Let me know if you have questions or want references to some enthusiast groups.

BTW, I believe the ATS-V/CT4-BW is superior to its big brother counterpart once you tune it, since it's already more nimble but becomes comparable from a power/weight perspective. But I'm biased :).

FB_IMG_1533551262732.jpg

V-Sport Track.jpg

IMG_6927.JPG

IMG_6930.JPG

Yeah, I had a 2011 CTS Coupe, which was no slouch, chassis-wise.  The ATS is mo betta.  Part of that is sheer tossability, but not all.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I do like the other Cadillac V stuff, I just think the Escalade is an abomination. It’s like bedazzled jeans.

They are pretty much the ultimate family truckster.  Pimping them out and putting hot engines in them just don't make no sense.

It's like a tricked out minivan.  More masculine, sure, but possibly less justifiable.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

They are pretty much the ultimate family truckster.  Pimping them out and putting hot engines in them just don't make no sense.

It's like a tricked out minivan.  More masculine, sure, but possibly less justifiable.

It’s not like they don’t already move well at 420-ish hp or whatever they’re at today.  Obviously not meant to race but they’re not exactly short on power already.  But, more is better, of course. 

eta: I’m guessing this is just going to be a charged up 6.2, which has obv been done for awhile, kinks worked out, etc. I’ve been happy with the 6.2’s we’ve owned, great motors. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Nobody seems to complain about the Range Sport SVR, G/GLE/GLS63 AMG, RS Q8, Alpina XB7, X5/6M, or Cayenne Turbo. Sure, I'd prefer 700hp in a midsize package ala my Trailblazer SS (fuck car thieves), but the XT6 looks like a minivan and SUVs should be BOF anyway. Though I'll agree the new GMT-T1 body style is not my favorite.

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

eta: I’m guessing this is just going to be a charged up 6.2, which has obv been done for awhile, kinks worked out, etc. I’ve been happy with the 6.2’s we’ve owned, great motors. 

LT4 from the CT5-V Blackwing and C7 Z06, most likely re-tuned for more torque.

Slightly disappointed in the release pics tbh, needs a more aggressive look to differentiate from the non-V trims (same complaint as the CT4/5 Blackwings).

Edited by SuperSport

8 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Nobody seems to complain about the Range Sport SVR, G/GLE/GLS63 AMG, RS Q8, Alpina XB7, X5/6M, or Cayenne Turbo. Sure, I'd prefer 700hp in a midsize package ala my Trailblazer SS (fuck car thieves), but the XT6 looks like a minivan and SUVs should be BOF anyway. Though I'll agree the new GMT-T1 body style is not my favorite.

I do, because we should have more shit-hot wagons instead. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Nobody seems to complain about the Range Sport SVR, G/GLE/GLS63 AMG, RS Q8, Alpina XB7, X5/6M, or Cayenne Turbo.

Because outside the RR these vehicles handle anywhere from pretty good on the GLE side to wonderfully on the Porsche/BMW end, and even the RR is nowhere near as petrifying a thought as a souped up Suburban.

. Sure, I'd prefer 700hp in a midsize package ala my Trailblazer SS

Yeah, no better lol.

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, I ain't buying a RR.

Well, of course not. There is likely no one (literally, not one) deciding between your AM and the Escalade, either.  I wouldn’t buy one, but I wouldn’t be upset if wife’s 6.2 had 700 hp.  Well maybe I would, she doesn’t need that. 550 or so would be nice though. I don’t use it to tow often because the truck handles it better, but it’s always nice to have some more oomph. Hard to beat with a shitload of kids and dogs and the bullshit that encompasses with sports and travel, especially if you occasionally need 4x4 or to tow something.  At that point, “handling” is more about how comfortable and capable can I move all this shit from point A to B. 

Edited by fattyflattie

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, of course not. There is likely no one (literally, not one) deciding between your AM and the Escalade, either.  I wouldn’t buy one, but I wouldn’t be upset if wife’s 6.2 had 700 hp.  Well maybe I would, she doesn’t need that. 550 or so would be nice though. I don’t use it to tow often because the truck handles it better, but it’s always nice to have some more oomph. Hard to beat with a shitload of kids and dogs and the bullshit that encompasses with sports and travel, especially if you occasionally need 4x4 or to tow something.  At that point, “handling” is more about how comfortable and capable can I move all this shit from point A to B. 

I wasn't even really looking at that comparison honestly, but more the X5M and Cayenne. These vehicles are just a hair off a 911 on a skid pad. Once I drove an X5 for the first time I never looked back because it was just so damn good handling. Suburbans are basically the polar opposite of this, a modern Ford F150 essentially drives like a Ferrari relative to the Suburban platform, and the last Gen Silverado for that matter. I haven't driven a current Silverado to see if they have finally gotten the handling and braking a little more refined than "life threatening".

I drive the Sub/Tahoe/Escalade platform fairly often, at least a half dozen times a year, and my parents own a Sub as well, so I have plenty of seat time in them. The thought of a 700 horsepower one is nightmare inducing. Just like all the Challenger death traps Chrysler is putting out, all is dandy going in a straight line but woe betide anyone who has to make the slightest deviation in current trajectory. They will need one of those websites like the Demon that keeps a record of who went the shortest distance from the dealer before crashing.

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

I haven't driven a current Silverado to see if they have finally gotten the handling and braking a little more refined than "life threatening".

Wife’s brakes are actually not bad, but it had the 2k adder (iirc) for the “performance brakes”.  I know you can’t fit the spare on the front with the “upgraded brakes”, which is just oh so fucking convenient.  She will undoubtedly burn them out in haste because she is a woman. I’m sure it’ll be a pleasure hunting those parts down. 

You no doubt have a more refined feel for it, but I’m stuck in a slew of 150s, 1500s, and 250/3500’s and can’t tell the difference between any of them, other than 1/2 ton rides better than this 1-ton.   Our yukon without a doubt has a better ride, and stops the same as any of them.  I admittedly don’t run any of them in the slalom. I probably don’t drive aggressive enough to be able to notice a difference. 

eta: I assume the “performance” aspect of this V is more to the tune of the straight line stuff dodge has been pumping out.  700-1000hp cars that go…straight. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Wife’s Escalade eats up some serious highway miles, will pull the boat, can carry the 2 kids and the dog and all their related stuff, etc. and does it’s all pretty damn well. If I was worried about having a track vehicle, I would just buy one as an extra vehicle. She’s been through Audi’s, RR’s, an Expedition, and numerous other vehicles and I’ll take the Cadillac over all of them easily.

• Hook 'Em 2

Anyone in or near 78730 that could help facilitate the pre-purchase inspection of a car for me? I'm in Chicago, and it's being sold by a private seller. 

A little premature - just popped up on Autotrader today and messaged the seller, but wanted to see whether anyone might be able to help me out if necessary. I'll make it worth your while if I need help regardless of whether or not I buy it. 

15 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Anyone in or near 78730 that could help facilitate the pre-purchase inspection of a car for me? I'm in Chicago, and it's being sold by a private seller. 

A little premature - just popped up on Autotrader today and messaged the seller, but wanted to see whether anyone might be able to help me out if necessary. I'll make it worth your while if I need help regardless of whether or not I buy it. 

What make model are we talking about here? Do you have a shop nearby already lined up for the mechanicals?

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Less than a mile as the crow flies from 78730, but 13-20 mile drive but would be happy to go over and take a look. I've owned 300td, 2 e55's and 1 e63 and I've driven immamac's e63 wagon so I know a little bit about them. Can drive it over to Ben's workshop.

Outstanding - much appreciated. 

I'll shoot you a PM either later tonight or tomorrow.

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Blacklab: "Sorry Prepuce, Ben says it's a POS"

PoD: "Damn. Thanks for saving me from buying a money pit. Venmo sent."

Blacklab: "Any time man."

2 weeks later - 

Blacklab: Hey guys....

That is wrong. It would take way less than 2 weeks for me to be bragging about my new car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4