Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
HookEm

What would it take for you to be all-in on Shaka?

With this recent 5-game win streak, I've been thinking about what it would take for Shaka to FULLY win me over as a fan.  When we hired him, I thought it was a slam dunk tremendous hire.  But then he didn't run Havok, we have sucked and fan support has dropped to zero and it has been a grind.  But through it all I have actually liked Shaka as a person and have wanted him to live up to the promise he had when we hired him.  

So for me, I think this would do it:

1. Take us to the Final Four this year.  Get that done and all is forgiven, I'm on the Shaka train.   (or)
  2. Keep the win streak going with a Big-12 Tourney championship and an Elite-8 run  (or)
  3. Get us to the Sweet 16 this year.  And follow it up with another top-3 Big-12 finish and a Sweet 16 next year.  But I'm not SURE this one is enough.

What would it take for you?

a miracle from God. Shaka is who he is. for me to be "all-in" on a guy who i KNOW isn't the guy would require divine intervention. especially when Beilein is just sitting there for the taking. i mean, what would it take from you to become "all-in" on Charlie Strong? 

There is a zero percent chance of me ever getting back into a headspace in which I am fine with Shaka Smart as the head coach at Texas. I do not give one fat fuck if he's "a good person". Fuck him and fuck that. I don't cheer for coaches. I cheer for Texas. How about being a good coach and winning big? Give me some of that stuff. Go talk shit about your players and dance in the locker room after pimp-rolling some nothing bottom 50 program on someone else's dime, you fraudulent fuckbag. 

He would need to win the national title. He’s proven he isn’t at the level he needs to be for this program to reach the levels it aspires to.

I mean, if you let my pick 2 Pom girls to be at my beck and call, I might be inclined to give him another year.  Absent that incredibly unlikely arrangement, his ass needs to be gone yesterday.  If he won the title this year, I’d view it is an opportunity to dump his ass without paying his buyout.

1. Win an ever elusive Big 12 tourney. 

2. Make it to Sweet 16.

3. Go to Final Four

4. Recruit and develop all-conference players.

5.  Beat ku on the reg.

6. Win 22+ games

Accomplish 2 of the 6 every year.

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

a miracle from God. Shaka is who he is. for me to be "all-in" on a guy who i KNOW isn't the guy would require divine intervention. especially when Beilein is just sitting there for the taking. i mean, what would it take from you to become "all-in" on Charlie Strong? 

Charlie never had the success Shaka did and Shaka is largely incompetent. Charlie was and is wholly incompetent. Bad analogy. 

To OP, all of those scenarios are far fetched. 1 I’m all-in. 2 I’m looking back to see how lucky we got with matchups. 3 is the bare minimum for me to allow him to keep his job - if I’m CDC. 

But none of those will happen. We are playing gutsy, ugly-as-fuck, individual hero ball. And the Big 12 sucks. I still think it’s 50/50 we get in, and if we do, it’s one and done. 

Completely ruined the sport for me. Haven't watched a game in over two seasons now. Fuck. Him.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Charlie never had the success Shaka did and Shaka is largely incompetent. Charlie was and is wholly incompetent. Bad analogy. 

Charlie won multiple national titles as a higher up assistant and led Louisville to beating Florida's ass in the 13 Sugar Bowl. To me that's about as impressive as a lucky Final Four run. 

To expound, they are both flash in the pan fuck sticks that have no business coaching here. That said, I'll still cheer for Texas every step along the way this season.

Edited by ztejas

Posted (edited)

Man some of you have issues.

If he goes to a final four this year then follows it up with another deep run, then it's probably proof enough that he's turned whatever corner he's been stuck behind since he got here. That won't be "all in", but certainly enough to think he could stay a while longer.

But that's highly unlikely to happen. 

Edited by The Dog

20 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Man some of you have issues.

If he goes to a final four this year then follows it up with another deep run, then it's probably proof enough that he's turned whatever corner he's been stuck behind since he got here. That won't be "all in", but certainly enough to think he could stay a while longer.

But that's highly unlikely to happen. 

He literally made me quit watching.  And I like basketball. 

5 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I could be bought. If he wants to split his salary with me, I’ll go full Cameltoe.

So weird. This is exactly what I was about to post ... like, verbatim, right down to the "full Cameltoe" remark.

Brother?

23 minutes ago, The Dog said:

If he goes to a final four this year then follows it up with another deep run, then it's probably proof enough that he's turned whatever corner he's been stuck behind since he got here.

He'll never turn a corner.  He lucked into having to play Cunningham out of necessity, who just happens to have one of the best motors on the team.  He literally crashes the basket on every shot.  Yet, he only had a total of 26 minutes until February, instead giving those minutes to Hepa and Liddell, who have done jack shit in shooting, rebounding, assists and everything else.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Charlie won multiple national titles as a higher up assistant and led Louisville to beating Florida's ass in the 13 Sugar Bowl. To me that's about as impressive as a lucky Final Four run. 

To expound, they are both flash in the pan fuck sticks that have no business coaching here. That said, I'll still cheer for Texas every step along the way this season.

As an assistant for a powerhouse under the 2nd most storied coach this generation. No. And I’m not even including Shaka’s Final 4 run. I’m talking about their performances as coaches at Texas. Shaka is markedly better than Charlie. Charlie was that bad. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

As an assistant for a powerhouse under the 2nd most storied coach this generation. No. And I’m not even including Shaka’s Final 4 run. I’m talking about their performances as coaches at Texas. Shaka is markedly better than Charlie. Charlie was that bad. 

No fucking way Shaka has been "markedly" better than Charlie. That's an absurd claim to make.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No fucking way Shaka has been "markedly" better than Charlie. That's an absurd claim to make.

He has. I’m sorry if you’re a Charlie apologist. In every metric Shaka is better. 43% winning percentage for Charlie; 53% for Shaka. 44% versus 46% in conference play. 3 out of 3 losing seasons (Charlie); 1 out of 5 for Shaka. Postseason play in 1 of 3 seasons (Charlie); 4 out of 5 for Shaka. 

Charlie was unquestionably the worst coach in our programs history. Shaka Is not the worst in my lifetime. Shaka is not good, but is most definitely markedly better than Charlie who was historically bad. 

I was gonna say, Charlie missed a bowl twice. 

20 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He has. I’m sorry if you’re a Charlie apologist. In every metric Shaka is better. 43% winning percentage for Charlie; 53% for Shaka. 44% versus 46% in conference play. 3 out of 3 losing seasons (Charlie); 1 out of 5 for Shaka. Postseason play in 1 of 3 seasons (Charlie); 4 out of 5 for Shaka. 

Charlie was unquestionably the worst coach in our programs history. Shaka Is not the worst in my lifetime. Shaka is not good, but is most definitely markedly better than Charlie who was historically bad. 

You're comparing across different sports. But I guess that wouldn't stop you, you're a regular grass-fed moron around here. Both of them have been absolute, decrepit, failures. To act otherwise or split hairs is pretty unlike one of the best public universities in the world. I don't give a fuck who is marginally better. They both sucked(suck). Go to aggy if you're interested in debating varying degrees of loserness.

If you want to equate it to football, I’d say Shaka has gone 7-5, 3-9, 6-6, 5-7, and I guess 7-5 this year. Nowhere close to challenging for even a conference championship.

Winning the NIT was something.  I'm not exactly sure what, but something.

The difference between Shaka and Charlie is that Charlie is almost 20 years older.  Honestly this is why I still hold out a glimmer of hope on Shaka. He is still relatively young.  When Beilein was Shaka's current age (42) he still had not even coached an NCAA tourney game.  In fact Beilein didn't make a Sweet 16 until he was 52.

It is POSSIBLE that Shaka can show that he is learning and improving as a coach.  I'm not optimistic though, which is why it takes some pretty unrealistic events to get me back on the train.

7 hours ago, CheesePie said:

two seasons of sustained excellence

This is the answer.

Yeah, “all-in” is quite a stance. If he made the Sweet 16 this year, then the elite eight next year, and then the final for the year after I suppose you could call me All In. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This is a stupid post, even for your standards. Shaka hasn’t been markedly better. Of course his overall record is better and he’s had more winning seasons, because basketball gets way more cupcake games, but you just showed in your own post that Shaka only won 2% more in conference, and he took over a program that was in a much better state than what Charlie inherited.

Shaka has not been “markedly” better than Charlie at all and Shaka’s worst season at Texas was way worse than Charlie going 5-7. 

In fact, you could argue that Shaka has done less with more. Charlie didn’t produce any first round draft picks while Shaka has had lotto picks 3 out of 4 years. The only year Shaka didn’t put a guy into the lottery was his most successful. His first season with Rick’s team. 

I'll never be all-in on Shaka.  He's not a good coach and should be let go.  Period.  Basing retention decisions on winning a few games here and there at the end of season 5, instead of the body of work, is myopic, idiotic, illogical, and yet perfectly fitting for our decision-makers at Belmont.  If CDC keeps him, fuck that guy.  He and his extended, guaranteed contract are big parts (or symptoms) of the problem as well. 

19 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'll never be all-in on Shaka.  He's not a good coach and should be let go.  Period.  Basing retention decisions on winning a few games here and there at the end of season 5, instead of the body of work, is myopic, idiotic, illogical, and yet perfectly fitting for our decision-makers at Belmont.  If CDC keeps him, fuck that guy.  He and his extended, guaranteed contract are big parts (or symptoms) of the problem as well. 

^

^

^

Here's a guy who clearly knows what he's talking about?

16 hours ago, HookEm said:

I have actually liked Shaka as a person

why? and why does it matter if you like someone if they can't fucking do their job?

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

why? and why does it matter if you like someone if they can't fucking do their job?

It doesn’t. It’s laughable that this enters into people’s calculation. 

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a stupid post, even for your standards. Shaka hasn’t been markedly better. Of course his overall record is better and he’s had more winning seasons, because basketball gets way more cupcake games, but you just showed in your own post that Shaka only won 2% more in conference, and he took over a program that was in a much better state than what Charlie inherited.

Shaka has not been “markedly” better than Charlie at all and Shaka’s worst season at Texas was way worse than Charlie going 5-7. 

He’s been markedly better. Charlie was fucking terrible. This is decency bias. You’re all fucked in the head. 

Shaka brings in consecutive recruiting classes ranked 6th, 6th, and 8th nationally (in *basketball*, where there's only five guys on the floor and even one good player can have a huge impact) and he proceeds to lead those classes to 4-14, 8-10, and 8-10 records in the conference. three full years removed from that first class and this year will be his first year to go .500 in the conference. Shaka has been every bit as disappointing and underperforming as Charlie Strong ever was. Shaka's teams have had way more talent (particularly per player) and yet they are performing just as poorly as Charlie's did. 

Posted (edited)

Shaka has recruited better than 8/9 of his league opponents, and yet he's finished 10th (dead last), 6th, and 6th in the league. In the last 4 years he's brought in better recruiting classes than all but maybe 4-5 programs (KU, UK, Duke, and...??), and yet Texas has one tourney appearance and zero tourney wins in that time. There's really no way you can objectively look at his time/record here and not conclude that he's done an appallingly poor job, just like Charlie Strong. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Posted (edited)

I'm going to fully give shaka credit for this last month of basketball. Just like I'm going to give him credit for the 4.5 years of futility and shitty basketball before this. Unfortunately, He will probably get another year that will be similar to the others. Treading water in a conf he is not prepared to ever win. If he plays jase febres and hepa more that just breather minutes next year I will know he hasn't learned.

Edited by dcar00

if Jase Febres doesn't get hurt then Shaka is a dead man walking right now. so weird to think about. 

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Shaka has recruited better than 8/9 of his league opponents, and yet he's finished 10th (dead last), 6th, and 6th in the league. In the last 4 years he's brought in better recruiting classes than all but maybe 4-5 programs (KU, UK, Duke, and...??), and yet Texas has one tourney appearance and zero tourney wins in that time. There's really no way you can objectively look at his time/record here and not conclude that he's done an appallingly poor job, just like Charlie Strong. 

This argument is a lot like saying Garrett was as bad as Campo because Garrett is still here annoying the fuck out of everyone. Well no, Garrett - while bad and at times really bad - is nowhere near as bad as Campo was. Shaka is nowhere near as bad as Charlie. He still sucks. He still needs to be fired absent a Sweet 16 run. 

He’s also better than the worst coach of our most major sport. That’s not a ringing endorsement here fellas. Shaka is the taller midget, but like all midgets, needs to die. 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

if Jase Febres doesn't get hurt then Shaka is a dead man walking right now. so weird to think about. 

You are probably right. It’s wholly inexplicable why that guy played more than a reserve role. 

And I was dead wrong on Coleman and Jones. They have really impressed me, and I was just wrong. 

36 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Shaka has recruited better than 8/9 of his league opponents, and yet he's finished 10th (dead last), 6th, and 6th in the league.

dude

dude

we are TIED FOR THIRD this year

these are the salad days!

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

dude

dude

we are TIED FOR THIRD this year

these are the salad days!

hopefully the parade route hits Pflugerville.

17 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Completely ruined the sport for me. Haven't watched a game in over two seasons now. Fuck. Him.

So true.  Basketball is a great spectator sport.  However, I have just had a foul taste in my mouth and can't even get interested in the tournament until maybe the final four, unless it's all teams I dislike.

Nothing. Fuck him. So what if he takes us to a Final 4. It would be nothing more than a fluke season he had at VCU. And he would never duplicate it or it would take almost a decade to do it. Move on from him.

17 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Yep. I still watch several games but at about game 10 every year I’m basically out.  I will still watch a few but if there is an NBA game matches against it I end up watching the pros. We jjst have a terrible product. Bad basketball, low effort (minus the last 5 games), and no real plan. It’s awful