2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Wait, I can run a window unit at night with a 5k generator...right?

You should but best to know in advance.  My 2k generator can handle my window AC.  Personally I don’t care much about powering up my fridge/freezer so I’m ok with powering up 1 window unit, a couple of lights, tv and internet (hopefully) and recharging devices.

while the blue shed was taking it hard, i remember looking at google traffic, when the models all agreed harvey was going to back out and then go park on houston, and there was not a drop of yellow or red on the map.

here's the situation at noon today, 36 hours out....

southwest louisiana and golden triangle are heading north and west, and the galveston evac is well underway.

laura-houston-25-1208.png

laura-big-thicket-25-1211.png

What’s the back story on the blue shed Jeff?

Yep. Car wash over hangs were getting ripped up all around him while the blue shed stayed in his stream shot and didnt lose a single shingle.

Plus Jeff took phone calls from his wife during his stream and you could tell she was pissed at him as he tried to explain the situation. Legendary night
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yep. Car wash over hangs were getting ripped up all around him while the blue shed stayed in his stream shot and didnt lose a single shingle.

Plus Jeff took phone calls from his wife during his stream and you could tell she was pissed at him as he tried to explain the situation. Legendary night

That was really fun.... then Harvey was not so much fun directly thereafter. 

15 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

while the blue shed was taking it hard, i remember looking at google traffic, when the models all agreed harvey was going to back out and then go park on houston, and there was not a drop of yellow or red on the map.

here's the situation at noon today, 36 hours out....

southwest louisiana and golden triangle are heading north and west, and the galveston evac is well underway.

laura-houston-25-1208.png

laura-big-thicket-25-1211.png

I can't believe Bolivar is still a voluntary evac.  If there is a greater than 0% chance of getting hit with any category hurricane, I'm GTFO of Bolivar.  

Edit - looks like they changed to mandatory around 1130.  Good.

Edited by UT_OB1

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It was right up there with the Boston Bombing and Roman's Naoch nights for me.

Just now, UT_OB1 said:

I can't believe Bolivar is still a voluntary evac.  If there is a greater than 0% chance of getting hit with any category hurricane, I'm GTFO of Bolivar.  

even mandatory doesn't mean mandatory as I don't believe they ever force someone to leave.  Staying on galveston and especially bolivar makes no sense. Weren't they still finding bodies from Bolivar residents a few years after Ike?

I seriously wonder how I missed that. I was on the other site thread constantly and glued to the TV for 5 straight days during Harvey.
No idea how you did, we were discussing in the thread as it happened. Building pieces and large devris items are being blown down the road and the shed stood its ground.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

blue shed was still in place recently.

it's like our own personal DOM.  i haven't made the pilgrimage yet but it's on the list.

it has it's own pin on gmaps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/%23BLUESHED+That+COULD/@28.0450531,-97.0449337,17z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1scar+wash!3m4!1s0x8669b466ef30a80f:0xb884e89fb6df6384!8m2!3d28.0450531!4d-97.042745

it is known.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Roman's great adventure might have been the greatest thing I've ever seen unfold on the internet.

Someone needs to lay this one out for the unfamiliar.  I dont know the story, yet whenever I see it on menus or make them at home I occasionally say "noach".  

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Roman's great adventure might have been the greatest thing I've ever seen unfold on the internet.

I'm not sure how it could be described other than an uproarious and absurd night of perverse pleasure fueled by pure adrenaline. Really, someone should make a screenplay out of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Someone needs to lay this one out for the unfamiliar.  I dont know the story, yet whenever I see it on menus or make them at home I occasionally say "noach".  

I won't derail this thread anymore, because I don't want to clutter it up since some of our Houston brethren need to stay up to date on the news, but I'll look for the thread if I can. Also, it's "naoch".

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

I won't derail this thread anymore, because I don't want to clutter it up since some of our Houston brethren need to stay up to date on the news, but I'll look for the thread if I can. Also, it's "naoch".

Thanks for the correction.  I will never learn otherwise

even mandatory doesn't mean mandatory as I don't believe they ever force someone to leave.  Staying on galveston and especially bolivar makes no sense. Weren't they still finding bodies from Bolivar residents a few years after Ike?
I've always thought mandatory means that when shit gets real, they won't come and save you with fire or police.

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

lufkin and nac would be my first targets for hotels.

keep trying.  Tyler or Longview will be full in short order.  why people would go north is beyond me.  we don't have the infrastructure necessary to support sudden influxes of people in east Texas.  

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

That would have the strongest part of the of storm passing right over the east end of Bolivar/High Island. 

It took a good 5 years for Bolivar to substantially recover post Ike. Lots of friends with places down there, many who rebuilt or built new after Ike. Ugh.

this can be argued on another thread but as long as insurance (and by default you and me) is going to pay people to rebuild on prime hurricane devastation property, people will continue to build on said prime hurricane devastation property.

• Like 1