Berlin TX cops should wear SS badges.  HISTORY!

Also, guess what, the city of Gettysburg, where the actual battle happened, their cops ain’t sporting Rebel Flags.  , 

Oh, and as an interesting punchline, my son just texted me about a photo he saw at the grandparents house (he is masked up, driving grandpa to a medical appointment).

It's a photo of me in high school, looking cool lounging on my bed with my bitchin' cordless phone.  And on the bookcase behind me.....is a small 6 flag set of every flag of the confederacy.  Pretty sure I picked it up at the gift shop of some Civil War site we had visited in Mississippi or Louisiana or whatnot.  And why did I pick it up?  Well, because I was a child ot Texas in the 70s and 80s -- the "noble lost cause" was the prevailing story.  One that teenaged-Brisket bought hook, line, and sinker.  Wasn't till I got to college, broadened my reading, etc., that I began to realize "nope, that shit was about slavery, bad shit."

Still, pretty embarrassing to get called out on that shit by your own teenage son, but he did, and I just told it to him like it was.  Again, generations of Texas kids were taught bullshit along the lines of "heritage, not hate," and we fucking bought it, dumbass rubes that we were.  Fucking pathetic.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and as an interesting punchline, my son just texted me about a photo he saw at the grandparents house (he is masked up, driving grandpa to a medical appointment).

It's a photo of me in high school, looking cool lounging on my bed with my bitchin' cordless phone.  And on the bookcase behind me.....is a small 6 flag set of every flag of the confederacy.  Pretty sure I picked it up at the gift shop of some Civil War site we had visited in Mississippi or Louisiana or whatnot.  And why did I pick it up?  Well, because I was a child ot Texas in the 70s and 80s -- the "noble lost cause" was the prevailing story.  One that teenaged-Brisket bought hook, line, and sinker.  Wasn't till I got to college, broadened my reading, etc., that I began to realize "nope, that shit was about slavery, bad shit."

Still, pretty embarrassing to get called out on that shit by your own teenage son, but he did, and I just told it to him like it was.  Again, generations of Texas kids were taught bullshit along the lines of "heritage, not hate," and we fucking bought it, dumbass rubes that we were.  Fucking pathetic.

Damn, I thought you were gonna say the 6 flags of Texas. That would have been way easier to talk about.

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Damn, I thought you were gonna say the 6 flags of Texas. That would have been way easier to talk about.

Vive le France bitches. 

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Nope, it was full-on teenage ignorant/stupid.

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's funny. I never had respect for that flag not because I'm so woke and was born with a trans flag in my baby fist, but because my mother's piece of shit brother looooved the god damned flag and was a hellacious racist. Aversion to that single piece of shit human was a huge help in what was otherwise a minefield in the Jasper area.

Grudging respect to my dogshit (now dead, RIP) uncle for sowing the seeds of anti-Confederacy in my young mind through his sheer obnoxiousness.

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

That's funny. I never had respect for that flag not because I'm so woke and was born with a trans flag in my baby fist, but because my mother's piece of shit brother looooved the god damned flag and was a hellacious racist. Aversion to that single piece of shit human was a huge help in what was otherwise a minefield in the Jasper area.

Grudging respect to my dogshit (now dead, RIP) uncle for sowing the seeds of anti-Confederacy in my young mind through his sheer obnoxiousness.

Yeah, see, I really wasn't around that many open racists....which was somewhat surprising, as my dad and his running buddies were oil patch.  And some of them were a bit rough around the edges.  I did hear the N-work more than a couple of times, but I knew from early on that was a shit word, and people who used it were pretty shitty.  But I also grew up visiting southern Civil War sites, plantations (LOTS of them -- dad worked in south Louisiana a lot, and we'd tag along in the summer, so visiting plantations was a regular activity).  And they did a fine job of whitewashing and romanticizing the old south and the "war of northern aggression."   I didn't really have to get "woke" -- I mean, my parents did a pretty good job of teaching me that racism and racists were shit.  I just had to grow up a bit to learn that yep, the whole romantic old south was eyeballs deep in that shit.

1 minute ago, Walser said:

Honestly appreciate the input like this. Helps me navigate how I am where I am. 

GPS probably does a better job of that.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He hates American soldiers. Period. Full stop.

I was going to post the clip from The Jerk about hating cans, but I couldn't bring myself to make a flippant joke about our Commander in Chief, who avoided service by fabricating a story about a bone spur to receive a medical deferment, so casually taking the safety and well-being of those who chose to serve for granted.

Of all the things Trump has done, the Russian bounty story is so abhorrent that if it were literally anyone else I don't think I would believe it was true. The lie about not being briefed or not reading it are at a minimum dereliction of duty, but now he knows, and not only refuses to act, but tries to deflect blame.

I kind of understand sticking his head in the sand on covid because he wanted the economy to recover to help his chances of reelection, and now he can't go back because he's a damaged individual who can never admit that he was wrong.

I didn't serve, and faced with a draft when I was between the ages of 18 to 25 I would have probably done anything I could to avoid it, just like the president.

His disdain for those who serve, those who have chosen to put themselves in harm's way, who he must consider suckers, is an utter disgrace. I'm sickened.

I'm sickened by those that don't take the steps necessary to hold him accountable, and hold a special loathing for those that defend and promote him.

I know that this weekend isn't meant to remember the sacrifices of those who gave their lives for our country, or even to thank them for their service, but rather to celebrate our independence. Even so, I'd like to thank all of you and your family members, like my grandfather, who answered our nation's call.

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

#CancelElk makes sense; I’ve never seen a black one.

So seriously. What’s going on?  Does the elk represent something racist in the local community? 

Just now, Xian said:

So seriously. What’s going on?  Does the elk represent something racist in the local community? 

If you are trying to find logic in antifa’s actions you are wasting your time. It’s like trying to understand why a 4 year old throws a tantrum about not getting their fruit snacks quick enough.

26 minutes ago, Xian said:

I had to look it up to see if I could find anything that would explain this but couldn't find any public statements providing a rationale.

After about two minutes of extensive internet research, this is what I found:

The statue, donated to Portland in 1900, is meant to commemorate the elk that once lived on the land now occupied by the city.

And from Wiki:

The 6,800-pound (3,100 kg) Elk was lifted into position in late August, and the Thompson Fountain was finished the first week of September 1900.[5] A carnival sponsored by the Portland Elks Club began that week, and The Oregonian informed its readers, "this is not a carnival elk."[6] According to the city, the Exalted Order of Elks refused to dedicate it because they considered the statue "a monstrosity of art."[7]

The elk has been vandalized many times. It was vandalized during the Occupy Portland protest (2011), and had its antlers repaired in early 2012.[8] The statue was tagged with anti-Trump messages in 2016.[9] In 2020, during the George Floyd protests, people protesting police violence built a bonfire around the statue.[10] The sculpture was subsequently removed to avoid toppling and for cleaning.[8][11]

So, best I can tell is: (a) some people might consider it a symbol of environmental destruction, (b) some people have considered it ugly for a very long time, and (c) activists have been fucking with it for a while for reasons unexplained. 

That's the best I've got.

Man those antifa guys are terrifying.  Next thing you know they’re going to start throwing toilet paper in the trees at the local post office, it will be anarchy.

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion