Jump to content
GRHorn

Three Gorges Dam under strain, millions evacuated

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202007/18/WS5f126f78a31083481725a6ec.html

China renews yellow alerts for downpours, heat

Spoiler

BEIJING -- China's national observatory on Saturday renewed a yellow alert for rainstorms, as incessant downpours would continue to wreak havoc in vast stretches of the country.

From Saturday morning to Sunday morning, downpours are expected in parts of Anhui, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Guizhou and Yunnan, the National Meteorological Center said in a statement on its website.

Some of the aforementioned regions will see over 70 mm of hourly precipitation, accompanied by thunderstorms and strong winds, the center said.

The center advised local authorities to remain alert for possible flooding, landslides and mudslides, and recommended halting outdoor operations in hazardous areas.

Also on Saturday, the center renewed a yellow alert for high temperatures in the country's southern areas and Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.

Parts of Zhejiang, Fujian, Jiangxi, Hunan, Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan and Xinjiang will see temperatures range from 37 to 39 degrees Celsius and even exceed 40 degrees Celsius on Saturday.

Relevant authorities should guard against fires caused by excessive power consumption and heavy load of power equipment, the center said.

China has a four-tier, color-coded weather warning system, with red representing the most severe, followed by orange, yellow and blue.

 

Edited by clapclapclap
not my title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Those motherfuckers better not have figured out a way to start a global pandemic of dam failures.

All the refugees...  Covid will rip through China again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dudes.....it's 2020.  That dam is already as good as failed.

As is the 9.0 that's gonna hit California, the volcano that's gonna blow under Yellowstone, and the twin Category 5 storms that are going to hit Houston/Galveston and NOLA.

I haven't even gotten to the horde of sharks that have learned to rape you before they eat you.  They're currently swimming over here from Australia.

Edited by Brisketexan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dudes.....it's 2020.  That dam is already as good as failed.

As is the 9.0 that's gonna hit California, the volcano that's gonna blow under Yellowstone, and the twin Category 5 storms that are going to hit Houston/Galveston and NOLA.

I haven't even gotten to the horde of sharks that have learned to rape you before they eat you.  They're currently swimming over here from Australia.

You forgot the Japanese murder Wasps. 

Don't forget the Japanese Murder Wasps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dudes.....it's 2020.  That dam is already as good as failed.

As is the 9.0 that's gonna hit California, the volcano that's gonna blow under Yellowstone, and the twin Category 5 storms that are going to hit Houston/Galveston and NOLA.

I haven't even gotten to the horde of sharks that have learned to rape you before they eat you.

Brisket, I don't know you irl.  From what I've seen you post here, I think that you are a good dude, and I would enjoy treating you to a beer.  I say those so that you know that this isn't at all personal. 

Fuck you in the ass with a barbed wire dildo for conjuring up those evils.

Edited by Scheiss Meister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You forgot the Japanese murder Wasps. 

Don't forget the Japanese Murder Wasps.

Nah they were a dud. They just didn't focus group very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You forgot the Japanese murder Wasps. 

Don't forget the Japanese Murder Wasps.

Dude, we've gone right past the murder hornets.  They are a mere footnote to the shitstorm that 2020 is and will continue to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scheiss Meister said:

Brisket, I don't know you irl.  From what I've seen you post here, I think that you are a good dude, and I would enjoy treating you to a beer.  I say those so that you know that this isn't at all personal. 

Fuck you in the ass with a barbed wire dildo for conjuring up those evils.

I conjure nothing, I just read the cards.....

6a011570a7f84f970b0120a52c3965970c-pi

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scheiss Meister said:

Brisket, I don't know you irl.  From what I've seen you post here, I think that you are a good dude, and I would enjoy treating you to a beer.  I say those so that you know that this isn't at all personal. 

Fuck you in the ass with a barbed wire dildo for conjuring up those evils.

Let me tell you what'll really get him.  If they nail the windows shut leading out to his favorite ledge, it's lights out brah....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Brisket, I don't know you irl.  From what I've seen you post here, I think that you are a good dude, and I would enjoy treating you to a beer.  I say those so that you know that this isn't at all personal. 

Fuck you in the ass with a barbed wire dildo for conjuring up those evils.

nights talladega GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude, we've gone right past the murder hornets.  They are a mere footnote to the shitstorm that 2020 is and will continue to be.

Already got sharks snatching little kids from boats, and attacking dolphins now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude, we've gone right past the murder hornets.  They are a mere footnote to the shitstorm that 2020 is and will continue to be.

Look man, I live in the woods of Tennessee. Art Rape Sharks, California falling off the map and China going under don't effect me. Given the current heat wave, even here, a Yellow Stone massive volcano and 10 year cooling sounds pretty good.

But man.... God damn murder Hornets give me a lot of reason to pause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Look man, I live in the woods of Tennessee. Art Rape Sharks, California falling off the map and China going under don't effect me. Given the current heat wave, even here, a Yellow Stone massive volcano and 10 year cooling sounds pretty good.

But man.... God damn murder Hornets give me a lot of reason to pause.

How 'bout this prediction: a bad batch of Mountain Dew (slipped through QC because of COVID downsizing of the QC crew) is going to turn all the hillbillies into a murderous zombie-like horde.

NOW you have something to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Brisket, I don't know you irl.  From what I've seen you post here, I think that you are a good dude, and I would enjoy treating you to a beer.  I say those so that you know that this isn't at all personal. 

Fuck you in the ass with a barbed wire dildo for conjuring up those evils.

I known him a bit in real life and he's not a bad guy.. however....

What's most important to remember is that in real life, he's a lawyer.

I'll let you sit with that reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

How 'bout this prediction: a bad batch of Mountain Dew (slipped through QC because of COVID downsizing of the QC crew) is going to turn all the hillbillies into a murderous zombie-like horde.

NOW you have something to worry about.

You and I both are well aware that I am prepared for and look forward to the Impending Zombie Apocalypse. That would be a damn reprieve and I could stop wearing a mask and fit in with the hill billies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BurntEyes said:

You and I both are well aware that I am prepared for and look forward to the Impending Zombie Apocalypse. That would be a damn reprieve and I could stop wearing a mask and fit in with the hill billies.

You were prepared, until the massive series of industrial accidents along the East Coast released a bizarre chemical stew that neutralized all gunpowder within 1,000 miles.

Keep trying me.  My crystal ball has shit to go on for days.  Remember, this is 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Let me tell you what'll really get him.  If they nail the windows shut leading out to his favorite ledge, it's lights out brah....

No let me tell you what would REALLY get him in 2020. I will scramble the 6 letters for fear of retribution from the masses here.

GPRIRB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Please stay up, please stay up. Fuck 2020 so hard if this shit comes to pass. 

Reminds me of a tweet (I think) where it basically says:

Time traveler from the future: Has it happened yet? Am I too late?!

Me in 2020: You'll have to be more specific!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

No let me tell you what would REALLY get him in 2020. I will scramble the 6 letters for fear of retribution from the masses here.

GPRIRB

Dude, Dart Bowl already closed.  The fucking is complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Dudes.....it's 2020.  That dam is already as good as failed.

As is the 9.0 that's gonna hit California, the volcano that's gonna blow under Yellowstone, and the twin Category 5 storms that are going to hit Houston/Galveston and NOLA.

I haven't even gotten to the horde of sharks that have learned to rape you before they eat you.  They're currently swimming over here from Australia.

I’d like to request that the Yellowstone caldera goes next, so I don’t have to deal with the subsequent events. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d like to request that the Yellowstone caldera goes next, so I don’t have to deal with the subsequent events. 

Oh....you think we get to pick the order?  What fucking year do you think this is, 2019?  You'll get successively worse buttfuckings and like it. 

Signed,

2020, motherfuckers

Edited by Brisketexan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brisketexan said:

Oh....you think we get to pick the order?  What fucking year do you think this is, 2019?  You'll get successively worse buttfuckings and like it. 

Signed,

2020, motherfuckers

I don’t mind if any of the other events happen but I’m not getting buttfucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

What a nightmare.  I hope there are some quality cameras permanently affixed nearby, because when that thing breaks it’s going to be an incredible event to witness.

There are a lot of fault lines in that area as well.  That much water being released will allow the faults to move too.   Could get very interesting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hell I think the concrete in the base of the Hoover dam is still cooling, and solidifying to ultimate strength.

Technically concrete continues strengthening for ever.  Its 28 day strength is the key measure of compressive strength though.  Concrete doesn’t do well with any kind of tension which is why we reinforce it with tensile materials, whether fiber or typical steel.  
 

This dam is so massive that any kind of failure could easily become the worst man made disaster in history.  
 

And yes, Chinese engineering and construction are as shoddy as you would expect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

But man.... God damn murder Hornets give me a lot of reason to pause.

every-name-dr-steve-brule-got-wr.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

No let me tell you what would REALLY get him in 2020. I will scramble the 6 letters for fear of retribution from the masses here.

GPRIRB

Grand Prairie Really Is Rio Bravo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Technically concrete continues strengthening for ever.  Its 28 day strength is the key measure of compressive strength though.  Concrete doesn’t do well with any kind of tension which is why we reinforce it with tensile materials, whether fiber or typical steel.  
 

This dam is so massive that any kind of failure could easily become the worst man made disaster in history.  
 

And yes, Chinese engineering and construction are as shoddy as you would expect.

 

Yes thanks, it does, and creeps a bit if I remember correctly.  They probably skipped the correct re bar part, you can't see it anyway... what's it matter ?

Always loved the "what happened" documentaries that dissected catastrophic failures. Tacoma narrows bridge, Hyatt in Kansas City in the late 80's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Grand Prairie Really Is Rio Bravo?

Grande Prarie Is Really Red Bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

It’s supposed to flex right?

image.thumb.jpeg.ff38abc2cf92e686439d523a4c6d167d.jpeg

Slap some flex seal on that bitch...  good to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There really should be a nomenclature change with regards to flooding event likelihood.  It’s too easy to mistake the 100/500/1000/10000/x year designation as only happens once in that time span, instead of seeing it as a 1/x chance of happening every year. 

Not to mention that I don’t believe that a 100 year/1% storm means across the entire US. It most likely to a region or area. And if so, the US could have multiple 100 year storms every year, or a 500 year storm every year or two.  Most likely a 10,000 year storm occurs annually across the globe. Maybe many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not to mention that I don’t believe that a 100 year/1% storm means across the entire US. It most likely to a region or area. And if so, the US could have multiple 100 year storms every year, or a 500 year storm every year or two.  Most likely a 10,000 year storm occurs annually across the globe. Maybe many.

I always figured they were regional storms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Most likely a 10,000 year storm occurs annually across the globe. Maybe many.

Well yeah global warming is ensuring that. Not sure about multiple 10,000 year ones but it wouldn't surprise me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I haven't even gotten to the horde of sharks that have learned to rape you before they eat you.  They're currently swimming over here from Australia.

Baylor upgrading their swim team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I known him a bit in real life and he's not a bad guy.. however....

What's most important to remember is that in real life, he's a lawyer.

I'll let you sit with that reality.

Shit, in that case he can treat me to a beer.  Lawyer or not, my point still stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

 I’ve heard commentators talk about how the first 30-40 years of the Chinese communist rule has shaped construction and why it’s failing. It’s all about initial appearances and meeting schedules. Quality and ongoing maintenance are low considerations. Let that be someone else’s problem.
 

Sounds the same as capitalism if you ask me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Will Ferrell Dancing GIF by NETFLIX

Can't get over how crooked his teeth are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...