Atomic Blonde

CrownKing

1 hour ago, CrownKing said:

Saw this last night on HBO.  Charlize Theron is such a smoke show. Anyway, good movie, some nice nudity, good action, and a whodunnit type ending.  Recommend.  

Same. Was much better than I anticipated.

• 1 year later...

Really liked Atomic Blonde, enough to watch it a few times. It was supposed to have been based on a 2012 graphic novel called The Coldest City. Saw 'Funeral in Berlin' (Michael Caine, 1966) tonight & it didn't take long to figure out that the graphic novel was pretty much ripped off from it, with some alterations.

• 3 months later...

Was on FX tonight. Man...I really like this movie. I’m a child of the 80s, so the history, the look, the Cold War vibe, the music, all kick ass. Double and triple cross - always fucking cool.

And to top it off, it’s a cool love letter to “I fucking love Berlin!”, which my daughter thinks of as a second home, and is one of our favorite cities in the world (I never even imagined that would be the case, but circumstance dictates).

And...you know...Charlize and the Frenchie. Yeah.

At first I thought my reason for liking the movie was linked to my living there during that time. You could get into some crazy shit around Checkpoint Charlie. But then I realized it wasn’t that at all, I just wanted to fuck Charlize.

....and Delphine. Don’t sleep on the sexy French spy.

A cool movie about a cool time, with a great soundtrack and kickass vibe...that also features two gorgeous women who hook up? What’s not to like?

On 12/16/2019 at 9:50 PM, Brisketexan said:

Was on FX tonight. Man...I really like this movie. I’m a child of the 80s, so the history, the look, the Cold War vibe, the music, all kick ass. Double and triple cross - always fucking cool.

And to top it off, it’s a cool love letter to “I fucking love Berlin!”, which my daughter thinks of as a second home, and is one of our favorite cities in the world (I never even imagined that would be the case, but circumstance dictates).

And...you know...Charlize and the Frenchie. Yeah.

Watching on FX does this movie such an injustice.  Char and Frenchie make cinema magic on the screen.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I've bought exactly two soundtracks in my life...Singles and Atomic Blonde.  

A list of all the songs in the film (not all of these are on the soundtrack), and a note of when they are played in the movie.

Blue Monday '88 • New Order

0:01

First song, plays in Yuri Bakhtin's car as he chases James Gascolgne in the streets of Berlin.

tomm098

Cat People (Putting Out Fire) • David Bowie

0:04

Lorraine gets out of her bathtub, gets dressed and walks out to her interview.

tomm098

Fight the Power • Public Enemy

0:11

Spyglass meets with Percival at East Berlin.

tomm098

Major Tom (Völlig Losgelöst) • Peter Schilling

0:14

Lorraine arrives at West Berlin. (0:16) Plays in the car as Lorraine beats up Bremovych's henchmen.

tomm098

99 Luftballons • Nena

0:20

Bremovych plays this song on the radio as he beats up one of the kids to death.

tomm098

Blue Monday • HEALTH

0:22

Lorraine arrives at the morgue to verify Gascolgne's body.

tomm098

Father Figure • George Michael

0:30

Lorraine plays this song on the radio as she beats up the officers at Gascoigne's apartment.

tomm098

Kack Zukunft • Ausschlag

0:33

Punks loiter the streets of East Berlin as Undercover Agent Lorraine arrives to Agent Percival’s hideout.

tomm098

Der Kommissar • After the Fire

0:36

Lorraine arrives to a bar and meets Delphine Lasalle.

tomm098

As Time Goes By • Michael Parnell

0:37

Delphine talks to Lorraine about her occupation at the bar.

tomm098

Cities in Dust • Siouxsie & The Banshees

0:40

Lorraine deconstructs the watch in order to find the list.

tomm098

The Politics of Dancing • Re-Flex

0:49

Song that plays when Lorraine interrogates Delphine in a room, and they have sex.

tomm098

Voices Carry • 'Til Tuesday

0:54

Lorraine plays this song on the radio as Delphine gives her information. (1:29) Delphine is listening to this song on her headphones as she puts the photographs in the envelop, continues as Delphine is attacked by Percival.

tomm098

Stigmata • Marilyn Manson

0:57

Percival reads over the names of all the intelligent agents from the List. Percival calls Lorraine to meet him at a strip club.

tomm098

Behind the Wheel • Depeche Mode

1:03

Lorraine and Percival arrive at the hideout at The East.

tomm098

I Ran (So Far Away) • A Flock of Seagulls

1:19

Plays in the car radio as Lorraine fights off the KGB agents.

tomm098

Drinking Song • Alfred Kluten

1:31

A man is busking in the streets as Lorraine rings the buzzer to the apartment.

tomm098

99 Luftballons • Kaleida

1:33

Lorraine finds Delphine's body at the apartment.

tomm098

London Calling • The Clash

1:41

Days after her interview, Lorraine goes to Paris for a final encounter with Bremovych.

tomm098

Fastidious Horses • Vladamir Vysotsky

1:43

Lorraine meets with Bremovych at a hotel room in Paris.

tomm098

Under Pressure • Queen

1:46

Lorraine is inside the elevator towards the end of the movie and meets with Emmett Kurzfeld, End credits.

Seriously, the music and placement in the movie are a big part of its awesomeness.

Well, I mean, and Delphine....

38865e345a26_316-atomic-blonde-50.gif

This is an excellent movie and the fight scenes are very well done.  The fight in the staircase is just cinema gold - I read somewhere they did it in one long take.  You can see the exhausted look on Charlize's face toward the end of it as she and the last guy are just beating the shit out of each other.  

I thought I also read that she and Keanu worked out together as they were filming Wick 3 and Atomic Blonde.  Also heard that they were thinking of doing a sequel.  

Of course, I could be drunk and imagining all of this too so who knows?

31 minutes ago, Loose Stool said:

This is an excellent movie and the fight scenes are very well done. 

Every director making a movie or show with a female or diminutive hero needs to watch Atomic Blonde. One of the few action movies where you could feel the weight of the violence. It didn't feel like a dance. Theron's character, skilled as she may be, got her ass kicked by larger, stronger opponents and had to scrap, claw, and use everything she could get her finger tips on to overcome them.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

A list of all the songs in the film (not all of these are on the soundtrack), and a note of when they are played in the movie.

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I've bought exactly two soundtracks in my life...Singles and Atomic Blonde.  

Trivial thing that makes me surly submission: Official soundtrack often have very little overlap with actual tracks used in the movie of their namesake

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Every director making a movie or show with a female or diminutive hero needs to watch Atomic Blonde. One of the few action movies where you could feel the weight of the violence. It didn't feel like a dance. Theron's character, skilled as she may be, got her ass kicked by larger, stronger opponents and had to scrap, claw, and use everything she could get her finger tips on to overcome them.

I agree with you. Fight scenes are extremely difficult to choreograph when you have some big ass thugs and 140 lb women. Regardless of director, the physics of the mismatch are impossible to ignore. This movie was one of the best I have ever seen at addressing this fundamental problem with a somewhat realistic outcome. Or maybe I’m just horny..did I mention that I would like to fuck Charlize?.

• 8 months later...